What would happen if we started driving our cars like bikers ride bikes? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
pharmseller
King Salmon

Default What would happen if we started driving our cars like bikers ride bikes?

Interesting question.

I almost sent a biker to his next incarnation this morning when he blew a 4-way stop from the far side of a big SUV. Since my X-Ray vision is on the fritz I didn't see him until it was almost too late. To reward my cat-like reflexes I caught a "you're number one" gesture.

So maybe we car drivers should emulate the behavior of our two wheeled pedaling brothers.

P

pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
freespool
King Salmon

Default Re: What would happen if we started driving our cars like bikers ride bikes?

Ride more, drive less.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
twobullz
Ifish Nate

Default Re: What would happen if we started driving our cars like bikers ride bikes?

It is not just the pedaling type of two wheel bikes that ride like that.
twobullz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
bradly11
King Salmon

Great instance were we should each get one get out of jail free card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bradly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
wheatie
Tuna!

Of course no one should blow a stop sign, but that being said, I assume most bikers feel nimble and maneuverable so they think they can ride like that, like the delivery guys seen in NYC.
I know I can drive our little Focus a lot different than my big, old F350.

"Freethought"
wheatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
El-Kabong
King Salmon

Location: Out on the edge of an empty highway, Howling at the blood on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmseller View Post
Interesting question.

I almost sent a biker to his next incarnation this morning when he blew a 4-way stop from the far side of a big SUV. Since my X-Ray vision is on the fritz I didn't see him until it was almost too late. To reward my cat-like reflexes I caught a "you're number one" gesture.

So maybe we car drivers should emulate the behavior of our two wheeled pedaling brothers.

P
I have never seen a car run a red light or blow through a stop sign. All car drivers are perfect and never make mistakes or break the law. But please tell us how you are sure that bikers do this WAY more often the drivers...
Team Backcountry Hunters and Anglers
El-Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
pharmseller
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Kabong View Post
I have never seen a car run a red light or blow through a stop sign. All car drivers are perfect and never make mistakes or break the law. But please tell us how you are sure that bikers do this WAY more often the drivers...
I rarely (not never) see cars run reds or stop signs.

I rarely (not never) see bikes stop at reds or stop signs.

I drive a lot, so I'm speaking from personal experience. YMMV.

P
pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
schaeway
Tuna!

Oh, this is gonna be great! Firing up the popcorn popper now!

By the way Pharm, I agree with you. Bike riders don't follow the rules of the road like car drivers. Just from over 40 years of personal observation.
schaeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
jimh
King Salmon

I'm not sure I could get by with using the bike lane, hold up traffic in the regular vehicle lane, lane split, and also use the sidewalk. It might be fun though.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:42 PM   #10
Chass
King Salmon

I used to ride 20 miles a day in Eugene. All over town too. It is easy and tempting to ride through lights and stop signs where you can see there are no cars near them. I used to do it too knowing that I was breaking the law. HOWEVER, any time I had a blind spot or could see cars at the light or sign or even approaching them, I slowed to a "rolling" stop or stopped completely. I did this out of simple self preservation. Most cars do rolling stops at signs and right turns on reds.

I think the reason bikes do this is because it takes effort to get started from a stop every time, particularly if you use toe clips of any kind. Bike riders that ride regularly know that bike routes have much fewer stop signs and lights than riding regular streets. Eugene is particularly bike friendly in this way. Too many just ride around on side walks and then blow through intersection. This is illegal and irresponsible.

Any bicycle rider who blows through lights or signs in the presence of or other traffic or without a clear view that there is no traffic is an idiot. Those types of bikers are a ticking time bomb that will get hit eventually. Flying the bird in your direction for riding like an idiot makes him a piece of proverbial dung.

As a bike rider, I know that way to many drivers have little or no awareness that bicycles in traffic get the same protections at far as lane ownership as cars do. If I am in the middle of a turn lane, don't you dare pull up between me and the curb to make the same turn. I'll kick a dent in your door and I've done it. Both bike riders and drivers need to respect each other and their rights.

Ok, off my bike soapbox.

Chass
ct

Last edited by Chass; 09-02-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #11
sadiesassy
King Salmon

What would happen if we started driving our cars like bikers ride bikes?
Probably be fewer bicyclist left. Alot more accidents. WHy bicyclist need to be required to have insurance and a license plate of some sort .

But until LEO start enforcing the bicycle laws nothing will happen. That is usually driven by the Government leaders

Ohyeah -- just drive in down town POrtland . Bicyclist fail to follow the law a lot more than cars
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
jvp
King Salmon

well if we did that pharm it would look like parts of asia where all is fair on the road ways.

scared the begonias out of you didn't. have had it happen more than a few times where you just suddenly have a bike come out of nowhere.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
jimh
King Salmon

Seriously, I think any bicycle on the road should have a license similar to an offroad ORV tag. At least, you could hand them a copy of the rules of the road each year as well as hints to stay alive.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #14
jvp
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
Seriously, I think any bicycle on the road should have a license similar to an offroad ORV tag. At least, you could hand them a copy of the rules of the road each year as well as hints to stay alive.
when i was young we had to have a license and it had to be displayed on your bike. that was a city ordinance.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:59 PM   #15
El-Kabong
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesassy View Post
What would happen if we started driving our cars like bikers ride bikes?
Probably be fewer bicyclist left. Alot more accidents. WHy bicyclist need to be required to have insurance and a license plate of some sort .

But until LEO start enforcing the bicycle laws nothing will happen. That is usually driven by the Government leaders

Ohyeah -- just drive in down town POrtland . Bicyclist fail to follow the law a lot more than cars
when I lived in town, the police would routinely set up traffic stops and issue tickets to bikers who ran stop signs. I would see them several times a year in my neighborhood. they would always catch a few cars doing the california stops as well.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
JCJ
Chromer

And how many times have we discussed this with the same results.Bike riders think they are entitled because they are saving the planet and the rules do not apply to them.When they get their bikes registered,have a driver license for it and plates and insurance then and only then will you be entitled to the same privileges cars have.And don't come up with the lame excuse that you have all that for your car so you don't need it for your bike because using that logic you do not need all the above for your motorcycle or your other car.
JCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #17
s20055
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chass View Post
I used to ride 20 miles a day in Eugene. All over town too. It is easy and tempting to ride through lights and stop signs where you can see there are no cars near them. I used to do it too knowing that I was breaking the law. HOWEVER, any time I had a blind spot or could see cars at the light or sign or even approaching them, I slowed to a "rolling" stop or stopped completely. I did this out of simple self preservation. Most cars do rolling stops at signs and right turns on reds.

I think the reason bikes do this is because it takes effort to get started from a stop every time, particularly if you use toe clips of any kind. Bike riders that ride regularly know that bike routes have much fewer stop signs and lights than riding regular streets. Eugene is particularly bike friendly in this way. Too many just ride around on side walks and then blow through intersection. This is illegal and irresponsible.

Any bicycle rider who blows through lights or signs in the presence of or other traffic or without a clear view that there is no traffic is an idiot. Those types of bikers are a ticking time bomb that will get hit eventually. Flying the bird in your direction for riding like an idiot makes him a piece of proverbial dung.

As a bike rider, I know that way to many drivers have little or no awareness that bicycles in traffic get the same protections at far as lane ownership as cars do. If I am in the middle of a turn lane, don't you dare pull up between me and the curb to make the same turn. I'll kick a dent in your door and I've done it. Both bike riders and drivers need to respect each other and their rights.

Ok, off my bike soapbox.

Chass
ct

Do you have one of those little bells that go "dingalingalingling"? Cause I can't hear it inside my diesel truck and I just might not see you riding like an idiot.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream or an elk trail, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
s20055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #18
bendavis
Tuna!

What do you really want to do about it? Ban bikes? make a rule that only cars and trucks can drive on roads?
bendavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #19
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Aren't bikers entitled the same percentage of the roadway they pay for?
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #20
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Don't know about Oregon, but in Idaho bikes have a different set of rules. We're allowed to treat a stop sign as a yield, and a red light as a stop sign. I've been a rider for a long time (need to get back to it) and the one absolute rule I keep in mind is that I'm not made of sheet metal and I will loose in a crash! Texting drivers scare the whoo whoo out of me, on the bike or in the truck.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:46 PM   #21
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
And don't come up with the lame excuse that you have all that for your car so you don't need it for your bike because using that logic you do not need all the above for your motorcycle or your other car.
Can this logic be discounted if their car is a Prius?
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #22
positize
Sturgeon

Lars calls the bike riders the 'Spandex Mafia'. Catchy phrase...
Old 09-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #23
nvs
Steelhead

We should let Darwin and physics rule the road. He who has the most mass wins! I don't want my headstone to say "But I had the right of way, he was supposed to yield to my shiny new Schwin"
nvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #24
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post

Super idea! Another useless tax for government to blow.Taxes have always made people adhere to the law.
We have taken care of cars and bike running through or rolling through stop signs her in Bend it's called a roundabout. We have 32 at last count.
And yes cars do not stop at stop signs either recently I had to do a survey at a four way stop for a class I was taking. Out of 150 cars only 21 come to a complete stop. Yes you read that right! Oh and by the way 15 were not wearing seat belts either. Maybe cars should have a license or registration they have to pay that should make them obey the law.Oh wait they do!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:45 PM   #25
Old Coot
Ifish Nate

"What do you really want to do about it? Ban bikes? make a rule that only cars and trucks can drive on roads? "

Sounds like a great dea to me.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #26
hops
Coho

Two wrongs and all that, but make sure they get a ticket before their ride to the hospital. Harder to sue you that way. Don't let the officer brush it off as 'he's got enough issues now'.

Oh, and screw the ones on the sidewalk, going opposite the flow of traffic. I didn't expect you to make it to the cross walk in .5 seconds, 20 seconds sooner than the pedestrian that was in front of you.

Last edited by hops; 09-02-2016 at 05:00 PM.
hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #27
jimh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Reservations View Post
Super idea!
I'm glad you agree with me.

On the other note, I'm fine with eliminating most functions of govt, but until we do, I can't see why bicyclists can't participate in the fun.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #28
tsorrels
Ifish Nate

Total Carnage ,,,,,Eugene bikers have no respect
tsorrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:20 PM   #29
jagare
Tuna!

Why shouldn't bikes be licensed? Why shouldn't the riders be licensed? The state of Oregon has spent large amounts of money on bike lanes and paths! Shouldn't those peddling around pay their fair share! They are not special, even though reading this thread I get the feeling some consider themselves special! I see far more bikes breaking road rules than automobiles, and fewer bikes on the road. That tells me some bike riders think they are special. I think all bikes on the road should have lights, that are required day and night, for their own safety. Maybe flashing ones on their helmets and no helmet no ride! Think safety first!!!

Last edited by jagare; 09-02-2016 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
jagare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #30
Rickster
Ifish Nate

The answer to your question is our insurance premiums would go up. More accidents fer sure. But to be honest, I see a lot of drivers of every type of vehicle acting like they own the road and I need to stay out of the way. How much time do you really save by blowing through an orange light or pushing in. Really, Q, we may not be far from it.

Don't schuck out a bike rider ... Around here, the Pope himself couldn't get you out of that Pergatory!
Rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:15 PM   #31
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagare View Post
Why shouldn't bikes be licensed? Why shouldn't the riders be licensed? The state of Oregon has spent large amounts of money on bike lanes and paths! Shouldn't those peddling around pay their fair share! They are not special, even though reading this thread I get the feeling some consider themselves special! I see far more bikes breaking road rules than automobiles, and fewer bikes on the road. That tells me some bike riders think they are special. I think all bikes on the road should have lights, that are required day and night, for their own safety. Maybe flashing ones on their helmets and no helmet no ride! Think safety first!!!

I'm sure a very small percentage of bikers don't own a car! They have already paid their fair share actually the same you have paid and put less stress on the roads and don't spew out all those emissions. Plus might be a little more physically fit. That's always a good thing for our health system! Lights although might be a great idea. And my mom has always told me I am special

Old 09-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #32
Williams
Ifish Nate

Send them to my neighborhood, I love watching them ride by.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12407462_1507030469593063_674981944_n.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	503778  
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #33
roosevelt
King Salmon

Bikers scare the heck out of me...it seems many don't really value their life...I see lots of crazy stuff on my 200 mile one way commute on HWY 101...blows me away more don't die.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #34
D4D
Tuna!

Roosevelt...... sorry my eyes are glued to Williams neighbor
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #35
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Roosevelt...... sorry my eyes are glued to Williams neighbor
That's ok...just a fair warning...that may be a tape and tuck if you know what I mean
Old 09-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #36
D4D
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
That's ok...just a fair warning...that may be a tape and tuck if you know what I mean
noooooo......!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #37
jagare
Tuna!

Quote:
I'm sure a very small percentage of bikers don't own a car! They have already paid their fair share actually the same you have paid and put less stress on the roads and don't spew out all those emissions. Plus might be a little more physically fit. That's always a good thing for our health system! Lights although might be a great idea. And my mom has always told me I am special

Well I guess your point is they also own a car and have paid! To that I say no they paid for their car use, and should pay for their bike use. As far as being more physically fit maybe maybe not, I see a lot of over filled spandex on skinny bicycle seats. Sometimes it's scary!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #38
D4D
Tuna!

Ok back to our regular scheduled program!

Not going to comment on my feelings on bicyclists.
Have had my runnins with several in portland in the last few years
Old 09-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #39
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Well I guess your point is they also own a car and have paid! To that I say no they paid for their car use, and should pay for their bike use. As far as being more physically fit maybe maybe not, I see a lot of over filled spandex on skinny bicycle seats. Sometimes it's scary!

Alright I'm in lets tax shoes we do use them on the sidewalk!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #40
jagare
Tuna!

Quote:
Alright I'm in lets tax shoes we do use them on the sidewalk!

Not a tax, I never said tax. But you already pay a shoe tax, if not on the shoe on the materials it's made from. User fee is appropriate in the bike case. Other cases come to mind, like a fee on hiking gear, like Pittman/ Robertson is beneficial to all but only some pay! Just an opinion! Of which I have many!!
Old 09-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #41
Zarn
Ifish Nate

I see very little difference in the way the chain gang and most metro-bumblers drive in the portland/vancouver area. It's all HUA, get over on you get style... IMHO.

Stop sign and red light runners of either are my fav. I never did or will understand why many do that. Over time most pay for their level of "understanding".

Last edited by Zarn; 09-02-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Zarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #42
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Not a tax, I never said tax. But you already pay a shoe tax, if not on the shoe on the materials it's made from. User fee is appropriate in the bike case. Other cases come to mind, like a fee on hiking gear, like Pittman/ Robertson is beneficial to all but only some pay! Just an opinion! Of which I have many!!

Just one question do you really believe a user fee will in any way translate to bike riders making better decisions or actually be spent in a useful manner to those who we pay it to?

User fees and taxes one in the same giving more money to the government will solve nothing!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:38 PM   #43
JCJ
Chromer

Quote:
Just one question do you really believe a user fee will in any way translate to bike riders making better decisions or actually be spent in a useful manner to those who we pay it to?

User fees and taxes one in the same giving more money to the government will solve nothing!

Has nothing to do with better decisions or better driving but rather accountability for their actions,if you use it then you should be helping pay for it.If not then get off the roads.
Old 09-02-2016, 09:43 PM   #44
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJ View Post
Has nothing to do with better decisions or better driving but rather accountability for their actions,if you use it then you should be helping pay for it.If not then get off the roads.

My point is I paid for the roads by paying my taxes so should I not be able to use any type of vehicle I wish to travel on them? What gives your car or truck any more privilege than a bike?

Old 09-02-2016, 09:58 PM   #45
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
My point is I paid for the roads by paying my taxes so should I not be able to use any type of vehicle I wish to travel on them? What gives your car or truck any more privilege than a bike?

Doesn't buying fuel contribute to the fund? If so, that's one way
Old 09-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #46
JCJ
Chromer

Quote:

It always comes back to this with bike riders,let me explain it to you once more.When you get plates,insurance,registration,or license for your vehicle it does not give you free reign to use any other vehicle when you have paid for one only.Just because you paid taxes on one the rest are not free,so when you start paying road use taxes for your bike then maybe you will have more say about the roads and how to use them.If you only have a bike then you are paying nothing for the bike boxes and all the other crap Portland has put in for the exclusive use of bikes.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #47
No Reservations
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Doesn't buying fuel contribute to the fund? If so, that's one way

I own three vehicles and like I mentioned in an earlier post most bike owners also own vehicles!

Old 09-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #48
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:

In the spirit of the original subject...I don't drive around my pickup with a mindset that everyone will steer away from me, no matter what part of the roadway I decide to use. They seem to have a huge false sense of safety...I see lots of potential hazard....to them.

I have seen one horrific scene on the yaquina bridge involving a biker, I really don't want to be a part of a similar scene...Bikers don't seem to put much thought into it.

Pharm mentioned a pretty classic depiction...getting flipped off by the biker trying hard to kill himself...I had a similar one the other day...going up a windy mountain one lane road...Biker comes bombing down the hill, blind corner, right in the middle...then flips me off when I have to go off the road to not kill him....I felt like running him down and explaining my perspective on the situation. Instead of being mad, it seems he should feel lucky I evaded him, the proline bumper would have been bad news for him.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:22 PM   #49
roosevelt
King Salmon

Quote:
I own three vehicles and like I mentioned in an earlier post most bike owners also own vehicles!

Maybe you can enlighten us then...when you leave your vehicle at home, and jump on your bike, being well versed in how vehicles work...why endanger yourself to the point it looks like you are currently and actively trying to end your life?

Maybe I just encounter bike riders that don't own vehicles?

When I am riding a bike...my top priority is to be aware, and avoid vehicles....knowing what it's like to drive, it seems like common sense to steer clear..a vehicle coming around a blind corner is limited in maneuverability, especially considering oncoming traffic...why put yourself in a position to be killed?

Bike riders seem to have no fear for motorists...many seem completely complacent.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #50
IdahoBeav
Ifish Nate

If they're riding too close to the white line, I like to lay on the horn as I pass. If you time it right, it scares them pretty good.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #51
jagare
Tuna!

Quote:

No I don't think you can fix stupid! I do think you should pay for all the bike stuff furnished by the government! Are you too cheap to pay the fiddler when you dance? The bike stuff doesn't benefit but a small group of people paid for by the majority! Kind of like bikers welfare, sponge off the car folks, while convincing themselves it's OK because they aren't using fuel!! Hogwash!!
Old 09-02-2016, 11:26 PM   #52
JCJ
Chromer

Old 09-03-2016, 04:35 AM   #53
OregonSteel
Tuna!

Bikers have no business being on busy roads. Just my personal opinion. Doesn't really fit in with Portland ideals, I know. I am sick of dodging suicidal idiots who think they own the road on my work commute. Find a bike path if you want to bike, or take the bus
OregonSteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #54
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
It makes me stare at it. Fixated. Just waiting for a blow out. Kind of like watching an impending train wreck - you can't take your eyes off it.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #55
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Why do some cyclist blow through stop signs? Same reason you do 80 on the freeway, no one enforcing the law. Cyclist have to follow the same rules as cars. From lights to signaling and everything in between. If a cyclist is going 30 downhill through a school zone, ticket just like a car. But the catch is actually demanding our officers enforce traffic laws. Make bikes pay for some kind of user fee won't make them follow traffic laws any more than they already do, it may make them feel even more entitled to the road though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #56
Ben Hur
Tuna!

To answer the thread question, our insurance rates would go up. The second question is do we respect bicyclist use of our roadways, sidewalks and the illegal and risky activities? To that question I say heck yes, we better otherwise our blood pressure medicines and anti depressants costs are going to go way up, out of our control, just like the normal bicyclist.

Maybe we just need to think of bicyclist as a traffic control device, a speed bump for instance. When we are driving and honoring bike riders space to exist and be one with the pavement, we all enter a more blissful state of mind, a simpler time, yes. How else do you explain the naked bike rides in Eugene?

The main reason we need to cut bikers some slack is because bike riders started riding long before they could drive a car, they used their young undeveloped brains to set patterns for bike use and now anything that interferes with those long established patterns could be deadly. Remember when you were 6 the next time you have an encounter with a biker on the roadway. Remember how proud everyone was of you for riding "all by yourself" without training wheels, don't be a bike hater, tell them "that a boy" and give them two thumbs up as you still hold on to your latte and phone wizzing through a busy intersection. Slow down, how about that.

My son always rides his bike to work in Eugene, he says at least now he knows how he is going to die, he just doesn't know when!

Last edited by Ben Hur; 09-04-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Ben Hur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #57
El-Kabong
King Salmon

years ago when I was about 15 riding my bike I was making a left turn, I signaled, slowed, waited for oncoming traffic to stop, and when it was clear I started my turn and a motorcyclist drove straight into me. destroyed my bike, broke 2 ribs and numerous cuts, scrapes. Bikes aren't the sole problem, people who think they have more rights than anyone else or deserve something extra because (insert dumb reason here). Slow down, stop looking at your phone, putting on makeup, eating, ... pay attention and stop blaming everyone else
Old 09-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #58
lingslayer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Kabong View Post
years ago when I was about 15 riding my bike I was making a left turn, I signaled, slowed, waited for oncoming traffic to stop, and when it was clear I started my turn and a motorcyclist drove straight into me.
Sorry El-K but clearly your assessment of "it was clear" must have been erroneous.
If there was a motorcycle coming, it wasn't "clear."
You must have either misjudged his speed, or just didn't see him.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #59
Alaska2Oregon
Steelhead

Not long ago I was on my way to work. I was stopped at a red light just as I got the green arrow and started to go, I bicyclist came blasting down the hill and through the red light. Had I not been stopped at the red before getting the green, meaning if I had already been up to speed, it is likely that this bicyclist would have not made it.

Had I hit the idiot, who's insurance would have paid for the accident? Mine, because bicyclists aren't required to carry insurance. Sure, "uninsured/underinsured" drivers is one reason we have insurance, but why should my insurance company and ultimately their customers be required to essentially subsidize an entire group of commuters?

Regardless of my innocence in the situation, it is very likely that there would have been a lawsuit, and no matter the outcome, I would have more than likely realized at least some monetary loss and without a doubt it would have cast me a great deal of time.

Since I was on my way to work, my employer would have been inconvenienced, as well. More than likely, because of the time of year and the nature of the business, my employer would have also realized monetary loss.

As part of my job I am all over town on a daily basis, and I am constantly seeing bicyclists show a total disregard for traffic laws. I can understand them stopping at a red and then proceeding if it is clear and safe to do so. More often than not though, I see them blast on through or transition the the sidewalk, if that is more convenient.
Alaska2Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #60
NeverCryRoyalWulff
Steelhead

I think the question should be, "what if cyclists started riding like motorists?" The general consensus here, and a logical one at that, is that everyone on wheels needs to follow the rules of the road.
Years ago I was hit on my bike in Eugene by someone who ran a stop sign and then drove off. Last year I quit riding my bike in Portland because I had too many close calls with distracted drivers and didn't want to end up a smear on the pavement because someone wasn't paying attention. Sad.
That said, I detest the cyclists I see who don't follow the rules, and my personal pet peeve is those who have to go up Portland's winding two-lane roads to get their workout, slowing traffic and making it dangerous for cyclists and motorists alike.
As to making bikes pay for bike paths, here's a page from the city of Portland saying the all of the city's bike infrastructure (350 miles) costs the same amount as one mile of freeway, so it's a drop in the bucket in comparison. I don't know the best way to go about it, but there definitely needs to be more enforcement of the rules of the road, and more education about sharing the roadways safely for both parties.

NeverCryRoyalWulff is offline   Reply With Quote