Mciver or north fork summer advice for beginner fly fisherman/woman? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Flyfishers

Old 08-01-2020, 08:00 AM   #1
mattrado
Fry

Default Mciver or north fork summer advice for beginner fly fisherman/woman?

Hi friends. My mom wants to learn how to fly fish so for her birthday next Friday I’m taking her to Milo McIver. (She also wants to go on our boat so I was thinking : fly fish mciver in the late morning / early afternoon & then my wife and kids join us to boat and ski on the north fork late afternoon and everyone goes home happy). Any advice for good fly spots on mciver (or north fork)? We will both be using 5wt rods & fishing 10am to 3pm or so. Thank you!

mattrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 12:49 PM   #2
Afb
Tuna!

Default Re: Mciver or north fork summer advice for beginner fly fisherman/woman?

Don't put a prop powered boat in the water at McIver. There is a lass 3-4 rapid right below the upper ramp.
Afb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
AlseaAssassin
Sturgeon

Default Re: Mciver or north fork summer advice for beginner fly fisherman/woman?

If you are mobile fish downstream of Dog Creek. The good spots will be pretty apparent but it is a bit of wading to get there.
AlseaAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #4
Copper John
Coho

Just keep driving past North Fork Reservoir for a bit and fly fish off 224 where the road is right next to the river on the way to Timothy.

The walk / wading is easy (don't even need to get in really), the river is small, cold, quick and lends to a decent cut population that averages 8-10 inches. Stimulator with a cooper john dropper or just throw a prince nymph out. You want bigger fish go to Timothy and troll leeches / cast drys when the hatch is on. (Speed limit is 5 mph at Timothy so no water sports)

Your a month away from outstanding sea run cut fly fishing out of a drift boat, raft on the coast. Great guided trip to take mom on once she learns to cast a bit.....
Copper John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #5
mattrado
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper John View Post
Just keep driving past North Fork Reservoir for a bit and fly fish off 224 where the road is right next to the river on the way to Timothy.

The walk / wading is easy (don't even need to get in really), the river is small, cold, quick and lends to a decent cut population that averages 8-10 inches. Stimulator with a cooper john dropper or just throw a prince nymph out.
Thanks. Do you mean the river along 224 as in the Clackamas above NFR? Like big eddy or roaring river campground areas? I have heard that the clack was not producing but perhaps that's folks talking about the bottom of the river.

Last edited by mattrado; 08-05-2020 at 02:21 PM.
mattrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #6
or_proto
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrado View Post
Thanks. Do you mean the river along 224 as in the Clackamas above NFR? Like big eddy or roaring river campground areas? I have heard that the clack was not producing but perhaps that's folks talking about the bottom of the river.
He was referring to FR57 btwn 224 & TImothy Lake — Oak Grove Fork
or_proto is offline   Reply With Quote