Camp shower recommendations - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 08-03-2020, 09:16 PM   #1
spottedhawk36
Ifish Nate

Default Camp shower recommendations

Looking for.a.camp shower for this upcoming Bowhunting season. What are some good ones that don't cost a fortune? Anyone here have a camp shower you built on your own?

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
FoFo44
Fry

Default Re: Camp shower recommendations

I used this last year, nothing fancy, but had no issues. Took it to camp prefilled and it was enough for a couple quick military style showers for both me and my buddy. I don't remember if it got warm or not but I showered during the heat so it didn't matter. Higher up on an tree you can hook it the better. https://www.amazon.com/Sportneer-Rem...s%2C207&sr=8-2
FoFo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:01 PM   #3
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I've used something similar to that over on the Deschutes one day. Leave it in the sun with black side up and the sun heats the water. Water got so hot I had to put some river water in it to cool it down. Used it at bow camp also with good results. Have also heated water on the stove and filled it with that.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 11:26 PM   #4
Camp_Cook
Coho

We use the Zodi propane shower and the Cabelas shower tent. The tent is roomy and the shower puts out enough hot water to get you clean. When I was looking to by many complained that there was not enough pressure. As long as you realize it's not your house shower and don't plan on being it for twenty minutes it works just fine.
Camp_Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:29 AM   #5
HntnFsh
King Salmon

If your not packing in I used a spray pump like you would use for spraying weeds. I adapted a faucet sprayer to it and heated water on the stove. Worked great. Not continuous water as you had to hold down the lever on the sprayer but you could probably rig it would.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:45 AM   #6
wildwood
Ifish Nate

If you are packing in then your only option is really one of the bag type water bladders.

If you are going to be ar a camp then here is your best bet:

Camp shower (Buy on at any sporting goods store. I personally use the browning one sold at sportsman's warehouse.)

Zodi extreme propane shower pump.

http://zodi.com/hot-showers/extreme-sc

Small propane tank and long propane hose. The small green propane tanks will work if your going by yourself. If there are a group of people you will go through quite a few in a weeks trip.
wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:09 AM   #7
444Marlin
Tuna!

The campshower brand is at Target and Dicks for about $10. They are simple black water bags that heat up in the sun with a hose and showerhead attachment.

I met a guy at an archery shop who had a tricked out FJ Cruiser and I was asking him about all the custom stuff he had on it. He showed me a shower gadget he built that he could pump water up from a stream, heat it with his engine and then pump it out the shower head. He was a pipe fitter by trade and he said he got the idea from an overlander 4x4 forum.
444Marlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HntnFsh View Post
If your not packing in I used a spray pump like you would use for spraying weeds. I adapted a faucet sprayer to it and heated water on the stove. Worked great. Not continuous water as you had to hold down the lever on the sprayer but you could probably rig it would.
Yep, been doing this for years, everybody that uses it thinks "why haven't I done this". It is also handy to have around camp or in the corner of the bed of a pickup, for quick hand washes. I have one of the shower enclosures if you need more privacy, takes about 5 minutes to put up and has been pretty tough over the years.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #9
parthur
Tuna!

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...gQIDhA4&adurl=

They get so hot you have to cool them down with lake/stream water.
parthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #10
adrenaline
King Salmon

A poly tarp of your chosen color for privacy, set up out in the sun during the hot time of the day cause it gets cold when wet, using trees if available & in a good spot, or wood posts from the forest to triangle or square up a good area, a 1 to 2 gal pot to heat the water, a cup with handle, a rubber mat(truck floor mat will do), & add a camp chair you already have with you is the cheapest & all you need, as it's amazing how little water you can get by with, a cup or two of water to wet yourself down, soap, & shampoo yourself, saving most of the water for rinsing. I've used camp showers, & hunting blinds for privacy, black bags with shower attachment heated in the sun, & or 2.5 to 5 gal plastic water containers with poured in heated water, hung from a post or tree, just learned to keep it simple & cheap thru the years.

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-05-2020 at 09:19 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
Mtn Man
Chromer

We picked up a couple from Next Adventure and a few off of Amazon for a week long group trip this summer. I was very impressed with the temperature of the water coming out of the bags. One of them we had to let cool, the thermometer on it read 127! These were all the cheapest ones we could find. We set up an extra popup with side and strung a tarp down the middle so that two people could shower in relative privacy.

The one drawback is that there must be sun for them to get hot.

Last edited by Mtn Man; 08-04-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Mtn Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #12
Quaka Wacka
Sturgeon

The simplest is a bag type or pump sprayer. I like the pump sprayer. I painted the container black to let the sun heat it. Can also boil water and add if need be.
Also had a propane version that uses pressurized water, but requires a lot more components.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #13
[email protected]
Fry

3 gallon spray can, water saver shower head plumbed directly onto hose. one pot of boiling water added to one pot water and you have a 7-10 minute shower. just have to pump the pressure once or twice. two people can shower off one cycle. efficient, quick, and as warm/hot as you like. during summer months we enjoyed the river, but after october/november the "shower" was very enjoyable.
klqt@stl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #14
Dave Smith
Sturgeon

I have a NEMO Helio and it works great. It weighs less than a pound and a half. You pressurize it with the foot pump and it has plenty of pressure. Plenty of water and it gets warm

2010 appointee Oregon GOOSE TASK FORCE
Dave Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #15
spudoman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedhawk36 View Post
Looking for.a.camp shower for this upcoming Bowhunting season. What are some good ones that don't cost a fortune? Anyone here have a camp shower you built on your own?
I put this shower together after trying the solar bag showers and the Zodi pump/nozzle showers. They worked mostly OK for us, but everyone loves this one.

Components:
5 gallon bucket for clean shower water and storage of components when not in use
12v RV Shurflo pump - 3 gal/min - 55 psi shut off
Pump mounted on board with routed groove on underside to keep it in place on top of bucket
Suction tubing with weight to hold tubing in bottom of bucket
Shower head with on/off control
Long shower hose

We place the bucket of heated clean water outside a 4 X 4' nylon privacy shelter. The 12v powered pump is placed on the top of the bucket with the suction tubing dropped into the water. The shower head and long hose is threaded inside the privacy shelter. Water is controlled by the shower head on/off lever (it is important to use a shower spray head with on/ off capability in order to control the rv pump). The flow thru the shower head is similar to a home shower. 4 gallons of water is enough to take a really nice shower. Don't let the pump freeze in elk camp!

The RV water pump cost me $68, the shower head and long hose $55 and another few bucks for suction tubing and pump mounting hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CampShower (2).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	751053   Click image for larger version

Name:	CampShower (3).jpg
Views:	233
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	751055   Click image for larger version

Name:	CampShower (4).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	751057   Click image for larger version

Name:	CampShower (6).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	751059  
spudoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #16
SquarePeg
Tuna!

I have a single burner Zodi. Depending on what we use for cooking / heat / hot water for dish washing in camp, my method changes. The Zodi heater is tippy and really hot so it's my last choice, but the pump and shower head are awesome.

If I"m using the Zodi to heat, I have to cycle the water through the system a couple times to get it warm enough. It works, just a little slow. Instead of that often times I'll fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of cold water, heat another 2-1/2 gallons or so, and mix to a comfortable temperature, then just use the Zodi pump.

If I"m camping with folks that have a privacy shelter (not set up as a privy, of course ) I'll use it, otherwise i just park off some dirt two-track, put the bucket of hot water on the tailgate, stand on a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet, and wash buck nekkid. It's the woods, what goes in the woods stays in the woods.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #17
frogprince
Steelhead

I have used the Zodi Extreme Self Contained and they are great.

Fill them up with water and set them on a fire or a camp stove. I have used the included propane burner and it works fine as well.

Probably be listing mine for sale here shortly. Purchased a camper and haven't used it since.
frogprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:35 PM   #18
fergy61
Tuna!

We use one of the metal bug sprayer kind. It goes on a turkey fryer burner and gets heated to 100 deg according to the tape thermometer on the side of the sprayer. Shut the burner off and shower. The hose is a kitchen faucet sprayer that has been lengthened to reach up to the shower enclosure slit and down to just above head height. It works exceptionally well and the temp is perfect every time.
John 3:16

fergy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:06 AM   #19
Oregon huntin
Cutthroat

Works awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oregon huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:09 AM   #20
Rseas
Steelhead

I purchased a new pump up pressure sprayer. I think that it is 3 gallons and black. I took the stock hose off and replaced it with a RV shower hose/spray head.

If we leave it in the sun it gets hot enough to shower. No sun no problem; we just boil a coffee pot of water, pour it in the sprayer, top off with camp water and pump it up. A full sprayer will make it through two showers before it needs to be recharged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200813_161645_1597360783274.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	751825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200813_161720_1597360801238.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	751827  

Last edited by Rseas; 08-13-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Rseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #21
waterbobber
Sturgeon

Years ago my uncle brought one up elk hunting in the Montana high country and was talking how great it was going to be to take a warm shower after a hard days hunt. He filled it with 4-5 gallons of creek water and laid it in the sun. The thing froze into a solid 40 lb block ice the first night and stayed that way! He never got his warm shower and had to slit it open to avoid packing ice back to the truck. We kidded him for years asking about how his shower worked out! I washed my head in a creek there once when it was 27 below zero. My hair froze straight out and was so stiff parts of it actually broke off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthur View Post
https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...gQIDhA4&adurl=

They get so hot you have to cool them down with lake/stream water.
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
Bobber Downey Jr.
Chromer

I find body wipes a much cheaper, easier, and more effective solution. They are easy to find and you can get a week's worth for less than $10
Bobber Downey Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:09 PM   #23
piscean
Tuna!

Waterbobber you crack me up...lol...hair broke ..sorry but...lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:06 AM   #24
OregonRon
Ifish Nate

I was happy with the Zodi. I bought the one that used D batteries and was nothing more than a pump and shower head. I heated the water in a 3 gallon stock pot on the camp stove till it was the right temperature and then packed it outside the tent to shower. I bought a couple of plastic mortar tubs to stand in. I believe the shower head and pump sells for about $40 and the tubs were about $8. Ron
OregonRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #25
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Downey Jr. View Post
I find body wipes a much cheaper, easier, and more effective solution. They are easy to find and you can get a week's worth for less than $10
Is this before or after jumping in the local stream or lake? besides if your only going for a week why do you need body wipes?

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-14-2020 at 11:46 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #26
fergy61
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon huntin View Post

Works awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the one!

John 3:16

fergy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #27
rino
Steelhead

Old rev water pump… 30 gallon drum on top of crab cooker… pvc into barrel… rv shower head and hose… had most of it laying around the house… total cost was about 30 bucks… bought a Shower tent at a garage sale ( 2 rooms)……… rifle elk hunt second season on coast, tented… shower was amazing… still have the tent if anyone wants it… did I mention I now have a travel trailer
rino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #28
j8tnub
Tuna!

We had a couple of the Zodi showers. One had something happen with the coil. Almost no water comes out.

Switched to a Camp Chef Triton and have not looked back.
j8tnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #29
uhmw
King Salmon

A canister of baby wipes and a canteen of water will cut the campers ass pretty good. After a week I will switch to Clorox bathroom wipes. It kills 99.9 % of the germs but it burns going on. A good swim in the creek or lake works great after a application.

Last edited by uhmw; 08-20-2020 at 10:42 AM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 11:00 AM   #30
frogprince
Steelhead

We have used a Zodi Extreme S/C for camp showers for awhile, till we got our trailer. For the in between we use these combat wipes from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also make some for women that are PH balanced that my wife likes.
frogprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #31
Etonfish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber Downey Jr. View Post
Etonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #32
raised2hunt
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
A canister of baby wipes and a canteen of water will cut the campers ass pretty good. After a week I will switch to Clorox bathroom wipes. It kills 99.9 % of the germs but it burns going on. A good swim in the creek or lake works great after a application.

Haha... Yeah, baby wipes are a must for me.
raised2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:04 PM   #33
duckslayer
Ifish Nate

Been using this Camp Chef propane water heater for a few years now and it's a game changer. I have a flojet pump that can be used if you have a water source that is not pressurized (like a garden hose) I have battery clamps so I can pack a small car battery or just hook it up to the car battery if you have it close enough. This thing has a great flow and gets HOT if you turn the temp up. If you had an unlimited water source, you could take some very long showers. When we're in remote places, we usually just pack some of the big blue water jugs.
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:05 AM   #34
wdlfbio
Tuna!

We use a 30 gallon rocket stove and large pot (think 10-12 crab cooker) of creek water. Set up 8x8 pop up tent, add tarp sides. Burn 1-2 loads of kinlin to heat water and tent. Drop rechargeable shower pump in pot and have at it. Awesome part is that the rocket stove continues to put serious heat off and you can almost air dry.
wdlfbio is offline   Reply With Quote