Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Bass, Panfish & Products

Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
Stan Fagerstrom
Steelhead

Default New Idaho Lure Gets Attention Of Bass Anglers Part 3

New Idaho Lure Gets Attention Of Bass Anglers
By Stan Fagerstrom

Part 3

Lots of us who are hung up on bass fishing have dreams now and then about creating new baits.

For most of us those dreams never develop into anything that really does put bass in the boat. That’s not how it is with an interesting guy from Northern Idaho. He’s one of those fortunate few who have the talent to use their hands to fashion the things their brains come up with.

The guy I’m talking about is Rick Lawrence. Rick, now 55 years old, lives near Sandpoint. He has been catching fish since he was barely old enough to wrap his hands around a rod. Today he heads up a company called Fish-N-Fool Lures. One of the lures he’s come up with is getting the attention of bass anglers all over the place.

I told about the experience a friend of mine had with this new lure in my previous two columns. I detailed how Dave Lotze, a pastor in the Sandpoint area, had a dandy bass break his line and take off with one of these new baits. That same fish came right back to grab another lure just like it a couple of minutes later. The first lure it had grabbed was still pinned to its mug.

I ran into Rick in February at the outdoor show that’s presented annually at the Bonner County Fairgrounds in Sandpoint by the Men’s Alliance of Christian Ministries. Rick had his baits on display at the show. It didn’t take long to find out that the new soft jerkbait Rick has come up with has already taken its share of big bellied lunkers from spots as well known as Lake Fork in Texas and fabled El Salto Lake in Mexico.

Rick’s company is producing more than one lure, of course, and there are a number of others still in the process of development. But it’s the one I kept hearing about at the Idaho show that grabbed my attention. It might be well to give it some of your own.

This lure is called a Sink-N-Fool. It is a soft plastic jerkbait and it is currently available in either 5 or 6-inch sizes and in a variety of colors. The largest of the two new lures is the one I’ve heard most about. It weighs a tad more than 3/8th-ounce. The smaller bait weighs slightly more than 1/4th-ounce.

Click to zoom

Here are the Sink-N-Fool plastic jerkbaits that have captured the interest of a good many bass fishermen. They have a distinct action as the drop through the water.

I don’t have to tell anybody who knows bass baits from baloney that there are a number of soft plastic jerkbaits already on the market. Though they may resemble one another, their actions in the water can be considerably different.

So what does the Sink-N-Fool have going for it the others don’t? I went direct to the guy who designed it to get the answers. “I actually started working on this lure about five years ago,” Rick Lawrence said. “I started out with a piece of wood. I carved and sanded the wood until I finally was able to get the shape of the plastic I wanted.”

This ardent Idaho angler says he has a fair knowledge of water hydraulics and that this helped him in coming up with the final version of the bait that’s now on the market.

“You’ll find,” Rick says, “that a bait with a round shape falls easily through the water. A bait with a flatter shape like my Sink-N-Fool has more water resistance. As my lure drops it sort of undulates from side to side and has a unique motion as it falls.”

What Rick has to say about the action of his jerkbait as it drops is borne out by what I’ve heard from others who’ve used it successfully. They tell me they’re getting most of their hits on this bait as it falls.

Rick says the same thing in regards to his own fishing. “I usually get more than 90 per cent of my hits,” he says, “on the Sink-In-Fool as it drops.”

You’ll be wise to pay attention to what Rick has to say. Why? Because nobody wants you and I to catch fish on a given lure more than the guy who made it in the first place. The success we have with his product will likely determine whether or not his bait will remain on the market.

This is as true of Rick Lawrence as it is of the other lure makers and sellers. That’s why I always try to find out the exact technique the guy who built the bait uses in his own fishing with it. Rick detailed his techniques for me.

“Because I know some 90 per cent of my hits usually come on the drop,” he says, “that’s how I normally fish it. I’ll make my cast and make sure there’s sufficient slack in my line to let the lure fall straight down. A straight drop is important. If I don’t get bit as it falls, I let it hit bottom and then lift it one time before I reel in and make another cast.”
The new Sink-N-Fool plastic jerkbaits have taken bass of more than 10-pounds in both the USA and Mexico. Dave Lotze got this nice largemouth on one of these lures in Northern Idaho.

Here’s something else of equal importance. If you fish a Sink-N-Fool as the man who makes it does---and you’ll qualify for the “Bass Fishin’ Dummy of the Year” award if you don’t---watch your line while this bait is falling. All you may see is the slightest little twitch or the line may move an inch or two one way or the other. If that happens---hit him!

So what hook should you use with this plastic jerkbait? Rick’s choice is a 2/0 extra wide gap. Some of the others I’ve talked to have used the same style hook in a larger size. If Rick is fishing open and fairly clear water, he uses a reel loaded with 12-pound line. If he’s fishing cover, he often uses a stronger braided line.

Rick has lived in the Pacific Northwest all of his life. When he hasn’t been living in Idaho as he is now, he’s been in nearby Washington State. He’s hammered the bass in both states.

You can find additional details on Fish-N-Fool lures by visiting Rick’s web site at www.fnflures.com. As I’ve mentioned, he also has other new lures, some still in the design stage, that he’s working with. My guess is you’ll be hearing more about them.

As I said in the beginning of this series, I grew up in the Pacific Northwest at a time when I couldn’t even find someone to brag to when I caught a good bass. Now here I am writing about an Idaho lure maker who has come up with a bass bait that’s already put double digit largemouth into the boat in this country as well as lakes south of the border.

I’ve not had a chance to show Rick’s Sink-N-Fool to the bass in my own favorite ponds yet but you can be assured I’m itchin’ something awful just waiting to do so. My guess is you’d be wise to also show this bait to the bass wherever you do your own fishing.

Stan Fagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement