Diamond Lake reports 2020. - Page 3 - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 09-20-2020, 06:01 AM   #121
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Default Re: Diamond Lake reports 2020.

Thielsen Fire Facebook has some recent posts on status and extent of the fire. Looks like the "Scooper" planes have priority of all the trolling lanes up there now. I hope as many structures as can be are protected...go fire fighters!!! Stay safe!!!!

Last edited by Umpquanuts; 09-20-2020 at 06:01 AM. Reason: spellling
Umpquanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #122
chukarhunter
Steelhead

Has everything survived there? Looking at a camping/fishing trip and was wondering if things are back to normal there
chukarhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #123
motoxaaron03
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukarhunter View Post
Has everything survived there? Looking at a camping/fishing trip and was wondering if things are back to normal there
Here is a copy/paste off their Facebook page from a post 6 days ago:

We are just now getting our employees back on the property. No buildings were damaged by the fire. Some of our infrastructure and utilities have been damaged. We are assessing the damage and should be open as the Forest Service allows. Currently there is a total forest closure for the Diamond Lake Ranger District. We are being told the Diamond Lake area will be closed for awhile. Expecting warm weather and east winds next week. The Forest Service does not want recreational visitors in the area in case the fire gets out of hand again. We are working hard to clean the resort. quite a bit of minor to medium smoke damage. Both to guest areas and employee housing. We are trying hard to be ready for the public when the order is rescinded. Those of you we have had to cancel will be seeing refunds in the very near future. Right now we are giving our employees some time to get their houses in order so they can be productive and safe while working.

Also some of our guests left valuable items in their cabins the night of the evacuation. We will be contacting you and setting up a time that you can retrieve your property.

Please watch this page for updates as we get more information from the Forest Service. Also look for some Diamond Deals on our website once we do get the green light to reopen.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:17 AM   #124
Kay_Bur
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxaaron03 View Post
Here is a copy/paste off their Facebook page from a post 6 days ago:

We are just now getting our employees back on the property. No buildings were damaged by the fire. Some of our infrastructure and utilities have been damaged. We are assessing the damage and should be open as the Forest Service allows. Currently there is a total forest closure for the Diamond Lake Ranger District. We are being told the Diamond Lake area will be closed for awhile. Expecting warm weather and east winds next week. The Forest Service does not want recreational visitors in the area in case the fire gets out of hand again. We are working hard to clean the resort. quite a bit of minor to medium smoke damage. Both to guest areas and employee housing. We are trying hard to be ready for the public when the order is rescinded. Those of you we have had to cancel will be seeing refunds in the very near future. Right now we are giving our employees some time to get their houses in order so they can be productive and safe while working.

Also some of our guests left valuable items in their cabins the night of the evacuation. We will be contacting you and setting up a time that you can retrieve your property.

Please watch this page for updates as we get more information from the Forest Service. Also look for some Diamond Deals on our website once we do get the green light to reopen.
It is very sad that fires are destroying nature. Because of them, you cannot get out to interesting places, and it also greatly harms nature, kills animals and birds. Rather, this nightmare would end and we could rebuild our country after this disaster.
Kay_Bur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #125
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Just posted on the Diamond Lake Facebook page they are reopening tomorrow including the restaurant. Sounds like Thielsen View will be open (greater distance from fire area) and other campgrounds possibly closed? Imagine that means the boat launch locations might be open as well (at least Thielsen). If camping at Thielsen looks like the water will be off so bring your own. See the Diamond Lake Facebook post that has a map that might have more detail as to what is open.....tight lines folks!!!
Old 10-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #126
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpquanuts View Post
Just posted on the Diamond Lake Facebook page they are reopening tomorrow including the restaurant. Sounds like Thielsen View will be open (greater distance from fire area) and other campgrounds possibly closed? Imagine that means the boat launch locations might be open as well (at least Thielsen). If camping at Thielsen looks like the water will be off so bring your own. See the Diamond Lake Facebook post that has a map that might have more detail as to what is open.....tight lines folks!!!
Yeah! Was hoping to get a trip in there this year. Odell has been a bust and Crescent Ramps are toast and well then there’s Wickiup.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #127
Little Buck
Tuna!

Thanks for the update Paul. I need a Diamond lake fix soon. Might head up this week ! Good luck everyone!
Little Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #128
Little Buck
Tuna!

Diamond Lake report for 10/7, 10/8. Drove through the devastated area from Glide to Steamboat. Total destruction. Sad. Never will be the same in my lifetime. Arrived at a smoked in Diamond to find water trucks pumping at the North ramp. Put the boat in and started trolling south in 30 feet of water with needle fish. No love. Switched over to Bouyants and 1 oz. Lead and got some hits. I threw back some dinks and scratched a few decent fish. I tried spinners, plugs,worms on the down rigger at the North end. I think the smoke affected the bite in a bad way. The scuttlebutt at the dock was bait fishing was good at the south end and a few guys were fly fishing with good luck. Some 20 inch plus fish. This morning the smoke started clearing and the bite Im proved on the troll. Bouyants with 1 oz. in 40 feet did the damage. Lots of hits and five fish in the box. Lots of weeds still. Turned out to be a great day with lots of good people at the ramp. Fish cleaning stations close 10/31 and the north and south campgrounds were closed as far as I could tell Good luck out there !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_101008.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	755401   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_091122.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	755403  

Last edited by Little Buck; 10-08-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:41 PM   #129
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Way to go Murray...good info on your fish catching report. How clear was the water? Glad to hear folks are giving it a go up there. The drive up from Glide will be sad for a long time. I guess ODFW folks are going to try and meet their fish stocking goals by using other hatcheries to raise fish. Water quality coming down Rock Creek is no doubt going to be an issue for some time.I hope those fish raising efforts go well and mother nature puts things in high gear to repair the destruction.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #130
Little Buck
Tuna!

Hi Paul. Yea, I was wondering about the loss of Rock Creek fish hatchery and its effect on the local fisheries around here. The water clarity was good. Not great. Lots of floating weeds and grass. It's been a hot dry summer. Lots of algae at the south end. I might fish Diamond as long as the weather holds. Maybe into November.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #131
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

Fished Diamond today. Drug our feet getting there as frost was forcast early. Started fishing 9ish. Water is lower than I've ever seen - had to run the troller from the south launch. Jet would've sucked full of weeds. 2 of us trolled 4 rods. Kept 10 fat 14"-16" ers. Released that many 10"-12" stockers and lost at least 4 other nice ones. Beautiful morning - tshirt weather. Wind came up about 1pm and killed our troll bite but never got cold. South cleaning station still open.
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #132
4labs
Chromer

Thanks for the report.
Will be up there Thursday launching at the south end
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #133
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

4Labs
Looks to be kinda nippy Thursday AM (forecast 23 degrees) then up to a balmy 43 by afternoon. Possible snow flurries on Friday!!!! Good luck, I was thinking of a trip this week at that time too...maybe I will do some ranch work instead.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:03 AM   #134
4labs
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpquanuts View Post
4Labs
Looks to be kinda nippy Thursday AM (forecast 23 degrees) then up to a balmy 43 by afternoon. Possible snow flurries on Friday!!!! Good luck, I was thinking of a trip this week at that time too...maybe I will do some ranch work instead.
Thanks Paul
Have been watching Wind Alert all week. Went from 1-4mph now 6-10
Still will go unless it hits a steady 10 thats my threshold of pain. Anything above i'll break out the Grady but thats a long haul for the old girl and launching this time of the year without docks is tricky. Going to drag Duane Stutz along its the only day off he has from the ranch and all the pheasant hunters and training.
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:05 AM   #135
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

The docks are still in on south end but water is real low. Off the end of the ramp is a good hole from power loading and all the displaced gravel/pumice is humped up about 10' back plus it's thick with weeds. We ran out on the troller for a couple hundred yards to deeper water. Am guessing 2-3ft depth at low point. You may have to go out to the side vs straight out.
Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 AM   #136
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4labs View Post
Thanks Paul
Have been watching Wind Alert all week. Went from 1-4mph now 6-10
Still will go unless it hits a steady 10 thats my threshold of pain. Anything above i'll break out the Grady but thats a long haul for the old girl and launching this time of the year without docks is tricky. Going to drag Duane Stutz along its the only day off he has from the ranch and all the pheasant hunters and training.
I hope the weather is tolerable for you guys to wet a line up there and interested to see your report . These reports of lower water levels would seem to be a concern for us having larger drafting watercraft...possible the drought is showing it's effect?
Old 10-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #137
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

That and all the fire fighting is pulling alot of water out of it. Tankers were filling up at the launch.