IFish Fishing Forum banner

Come on, learn how to anchor your DB!

22K views 77 replies 46 participants last post by  River Ranger 
#1 ·
Drifted the Nestucca on Saturday. What is with all the boats anchoring on top of the holes? It limits one boat to each hole. I understand you anchor and bankbounce the run but don't get upset if someone anchors off to the side and cast below you. Anchor to the side and let other boats fish the run too! :mad:

#52 ·
Seeing how I don't fish the North Coast streams other than once or twice a year on the Nestucca, I guess I don't know what kind of a zoo it is. I do fish the Santiams and many people line up on anchor and get along just fine. I will even offer for people to go ahead and pull plugs through the hole, all they really need to do is ask if I would mind, I don't own the river and if I am on anchor and probably catching fish I really don't care if they do. It is the guy that comes down and plunks his anchor down right if front of where you are drifting that really gets my goat. As for not kidding myself about anchoring not being rude thats your opinion, and you know the saying, opinions are like a..holes and they often stink, I think you know how I feel about yours.
Tim

#53 ·
I'm with crambone. I've got my opinion and it changes from time to time. I'm not about to get all excited one way or another for what I feel today may not be what I get tomorrow. But please don't tell what to do or don't do unless I'm casting into your line...then you can kick my rear.

#54 ·
Fair enough Crambone. I think we can definitely agree on your last statement, as I think you know how I feel about your opinion too.

If you'd ever like to actually learn how to fish with your boat, as opposed to bank fish from it, come on down to the South Coast and we'll show you how it's done.

#56 ·
You don't know me from adam and you make a statement like I don't know how to fish??? :hoboy: I just love the I am so much better than you attitude
I am always looking for ways to become a better fisherman but it will be a cold day in hell before I would fish with the likes of you

Tim

#59 ·
I can't believe that someone would blow through prime drifts without anchoring off to the side and drift fishing it. :shrug:

I guess you can count me as rude too! :whazzup:

Krue

[ 11-25-2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Kruechief ]

#64 ·
Man, I didn't think I would get this kind of response :shocked: I guess my conclusion would be if the river is crowded like most weekends anchor to the side and let others have a shot or row thru and backbounce. If you can fish during the week when there is less traffic go ahead and anchor in the top of the hole but don't camp out for the day. There will always be the few that don't give a rat's ... and do whatever they want with no regard for other fishermen. :mad: I don't need to catch a fish that bad. I just try to enjoy the outing with family or friends and thank the man above I'm able to be out there. :smile:

#65 ·
Rags, good finish to this topic. I was getting ready to suggest that everyone just stay home and talk about the good'ole days if they think it is so bad.

There is some much to complain about these days, we need to find more to be happy about. Everytime I get out it is just great to be fishing, sure there are headaches but its the fishing not necessarily the catching.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Shane

#66 ·
Good discussions here. It would be neat if everybody could come to a consensus but every situation is different and people are tough to change. Let's just all try to be courteous and friendly on the water. it makes for an enjoyable experience for all. i wish we could all afford 100 lb thrust electric trolling motors.

hey UG are you studying to become our next new moderator? :grin:

#68 ·
this makes me laugh.....people gripe about all of us running electrics on our driftboats.........then they gripe about people anchoring on top of a hole. I am all for courtesy but this is comical.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">:cheers:

Bubzilla - :rolleyes:

What a bunch of whiners. I have no problem anchoring in a hole and staying till I fish it out. I also have no problem backtrolling through water that most driftboaters wouldn't even think about spending the energy to backrow through. I can backtroll with the best of them. If you don't like someone getting to your hole first, maybe you should get up earlier.
As far as some of your comments about driftfishing Rags, I know many holes on the Nestucca where I guarantee you that by backbouncing I will outfish a drift-fisherman big time.
If you guys like how they do it so much on the South Coast maybe that is where you should be fishing. So far I have not seen any one of you post a scanned copy of your title or deed to any of the North Coast rivers.

The story I told about Big Tuna, well, I was looking forward to backtrolling that hole, I got down there and he was there so I said to my son, "No big deal, we still have plenty of water, we'll just go down to the next one". That is how most "Grown Ups" would deal with it.

By the way, I have been driftboating the North Coast rivers (mainly the Nestucca) for over 15 years now and anchor fishing is nothing new. :shrug:

[ 11-26-2003, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

#69 ·
I have fished the Nestucca for years. I usually drift fish it. Most of the time I am solo. I don't even know what backbouncing is. However, I do anchor on the side to fish from my boat. If I did not have my boat, I would not be able to fish most of the waters where I fish from the boat. My deal is, if you are nice to others, even if you are doing something that ****es them off, the situation can be worked out. There are spots on the Nestucca where I could not imagine changing my fishing from the boat strategy. I like, I am usually by myself, and it works.

#73 ·
What ever happened to having a nice relaxing day on the river? I can tell you it isnt going to be very relaxing with people like bubzilla on the river with you. first of all I stay on the oars as much as possible but I do realize that everyone cant. there are people out there with physical limitations. I am also smart enough to realize that staying on the oars isnt the only method thats works well to catch fish and so unless someone is anchored right on top of where the fish lay I have no problem with them anchoring up. there is lots more water out there and salmon and steelhead are moving fish why stress over not getting to fish one hole. I also realize that I do not own the river and everyone that is on it doesnt have to fish around my way of fishing. after reading this thread I am thinking there should be a law for river rage then maybe people like bubzilla will chill out a bit and enjoy the day instead of thinking everyones fishing habits should revolve around his. I guess the reason why I fish is different then most peoples. I fish to get out relax and enjoy the day if I get a fish or 2 then its truely a great day.

#74 ·
Quasi-killer,

Excellent. I think if everybody just took the "Do unto others" approach the rivers would be a much nicer place to be. We all have our favorite methods for fishing, the key is to get them to work together. In crowded situations anchoring at the top of a hole is probably not the best idea. However, I have no problem with it and have been known to do it when the conditions are less crowded.

As far as a boat being a "portable rock", fish the way the conditions dictate. I think there are times and places where anchoring is the best method for that particular hole. I must confess however that all of my best days steelhead and salmon fishing have been days that I spent most of my time in motion. Gotta love that sidedrifting. :cheers:

[ 11-29-2003, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: RichH ]

#75 ·
There was one river where I learned something new, kind of the hard way.
Most people will probably know this, but maybe not.

Anyhow, there was a good stretch of river to plug, and what we'd do, is line up, three or four boats, go down the drift, and then pull over in slack water, and row back up, and do it again.

All drift boats were moving in a clock wise motion, getting their chance at the slot.

It was pretty nifty!

Jen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.