I'm Having a Sled Built. I've Got Some Questions. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-26-2020, 10:55 AM   #1
pstutheit
Steelhead

Default I'm Having a Sled Built. I've Got Some Questions.

Just three, actually:

1. Washdown pump: valuable tool, or just a thing to break eventually and annoy the hell out of me? I'm leaning toward not having one, but am willing to be open minded. I've never had a washdown pump in 15 years of running boats. I've never really wished I had a washdown pump. I generally subscribe to the notion that its not IF something breaks, its WHEN it breaks. I also subscribe to the notion that fewer holes in your boat is better. But some of you people talk about your washdown pumps as if they were your own children. As if you couldn't live without them. So: am I making a huge mistake by not getting one installed? I'm willing to be open minded.

2. Hotwater sink: this is happening. But where to put it in a 20 foot open sled? Transom? kicker side gunnel? gunnel opposite the kicker? Again, I've never had one. Would appreciate input.

3. Dual rod/tackle trays: I've fished in boats that had these and loved them. In the heat of battle, the more places you can throw crap in a hurry and keep it off the deck, the better. They're currently in my plans. But perhaps there are downsides (other than cost) that I'm not aware of. Does anybody out there have dual trays and wish they didn't, and if so, why?

Thanks all!

pstutheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #2
Spinitrode
King Salmon

Default Re: I'm Having a Sled Built. I've Got Some Questions.

All I know for item #1 is that my brother saw fit to retrofit a plug-in washdown pump to his sled that didn't come w/ one, if that's any indication...

(my little tub is simply too small to bother; I just use these...)

Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #3
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstutheit View Post
Just three, actually:

1. Washdown pump: valuable tool, or just a thing to break eventually and annoy the hell out of me? I'm leaning toward not having one, but am willing to be open minded. I've never had a washdown pump in 15 years of running boats. I've never really wished I had a washdown pump. I generally subscribe to the notion that its not IF something breaks, its WHEN it breaks. I also subscribe to the notion that fewer holes in your boat is better. But some of you people talk about your washdown pumps as if they were your own children. As if you couldn't live without them. So: am I making a huge mistake by not getting one installed? I'm willing to be open minded.

2. Hotwater sink: this is happening. But where to put it in a 20 foot open sled? Transom? kicker side gunnel? gunnel opposite the kicker? Again, I've never had one. Would appreciate input.

3. Dual rod/tackle trays: I've fished in boats that had these and loved them. In the heat of battle, the more places you can throw crap in a hurry and keep it off the deck, the better. They're currently in my plans. But perhaps there are downsides (other than cost) that I'm not aware of. Does anybody out there have dual trays and wish they didn't, and if so, why?

Thanks all!
I've had four different boats with wash down pumps.
Pro. Convenient and nice when you need them and they are working well.
Con. Winterizing kinda gets old when something goes wrong. Another button with a fuse that can go or another button someone bumps and draws battery down...etc

I currently have a bucket in both my sled and Grady White. Major flush of water and I store my club, scrub brush, and lemon joy in it before using. I'm not going back to wash down pumps. Boats are much cleaner. Less hassle and I'm fishing.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #4
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

One boat with wash down and one without. Wash down is nice, use a bucket on the other small boat. If you go this route, have a welded intake off the bottom, use a good switch like a sealed blue seas, and get a higher flow pump. That will keep you from most issues and have years of trouble free use.

I like the hot water sink away from where I'm sitting and running the kicker so others can bait their own rods and use it without getting in my way, so opposite side of kicker on transom or middle of transom or gunwale on opposite side.

I have a short memory so I forgot what your third item was while typing this....

Oh yeah dual rod tackle trays, never can have too much storage on a boat but don't make it jammed and cluttered, is there room in your 20' boat for dual rod lockers without making them too small? I'd rather have one big rod locker each side than two small ones.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited by Quiet Riot; 02-26-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
[email protected]
Ifish Nate

Default I'm Having a Sled Built. I've Got Some Questions.

Wash down is a necessary evil for me. I’m a clean freak on and off the water....I go thru wash downs like crazy and I’m currently in the process of the third on a 2016 boat...

I don’t have a hot water sink but that’s an easy fix...I would definitely do one somewhere.

Yes on the side trays and that should be standard in the pricing

Rod lockers are wide and bulky and in the way for swiveling seats w arm rest. Most on here like em and wouldn’t be without.

What hull you looking at?? Width?? Power. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derrick454@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #6
[email protected]
Ifish Nate

Another thing to consider on the wash down....it’s another hole in the boat and I have had negative thoughts of finding my boat at the bottom in the chinook marina. Although it’s only a few feet deep where I moor part time and it probably wouldn’t be completely sunk.

derrick454@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
Wreckless
King Salmon

1) You are correct on the wash down pump. When I had my RiverWild built, I wasn't even considering one. IF I HAD to have one (which it seems like many "need", I WOULD NEVER have an extra hole drilled in the bottom of my boat. It would have to have a pick up hose of some kind,
I use Supersoakers like Sinitrode suggested. They work great and double as granddaughter blasters on hot days!
Short story, long: A wash down is something more to repair and another hole in the hull, NO!

2) I think I'd put a sink in the port stern. I didn't add one, I didn't see a need.

3) Like others have said, you can't have too much room for "stuff". Unless it gets too cluttered

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
Merganser99
Tuna!

Yes to the washdown pump. Had one on my previous boat and not on my current one. Probably will add one at some point. Consider hoses and nozzles to be a maintenance item and replace every two or three years.

No to the hot water sink. Both previous and current boat had/have this. Almost never used. I had to be reminded that I have one as it is storage for scissors, knife, weights, etc. If you get one, where to put it is dependent on whether it's for your own use or for the rest of your crew. Put it under the kicker if you want to use it. Everyone else can wash their hands and gear over the side of the boat.

These are just my opinions. I'm definitely not a clean freak, so I usually wash my gear when I get home. A bucket and scrub brush take care of slime and blood while on the water.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:38 PM   #9
mtriverrunner
Steelhead

Definitely get a wash down pump. I have them in both boats and wouldnt ever want to be without in anything bigger than a car topper.
mtriverrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I didn't get a wash down, wish I did. Hockingson mention the cons so pay attention to them. Wherever the pump is placed, make sure you have access so you can service and drain for winter storage. The pump should be placed above the water line so if something leaks, you won't find the boat on the bottom like Derrick mentioned. Somebody didn't tighten a clamp on my Arima at the factory but I caught it before there was a big problem. The switch was also where I could bump it and I did a lot. Ended up spraying water all over my pants which was unpleasant. I finally disconnected the switch. Had everything been installed correctly, it woulda been nice to have. I keep a lot of towels on the boat so blood and stuff can be wiped up as it happens. I can go a whole season at B-10 with a fairly clean boat.

Never really needed a hot sink

Storage: I hate it when people use storage for garbage. Don't like finding pop cans, food wrappers, whatever in various places around the boat. If your storage is too convenient, it might backfire. Depends on your passengers.

Always tell your passengers not to bring anything on the boat they don't intend to use. Your boat isn't a storage locker for all their junk. It's amazing what some will haul around for a day's fishing. It's not your job to provide for their lack of common sense. Seat boxes and maybe some space up front to store life jackets and such should be enough.

One thing that many are doing without these days is a fish box. We use kill bags and they do a very nice job. Easy to clean and you can use the space usually reserved for the fish box for storage. I have a fish box and it hasn't had fish in it for years.

Make sure your rod lockers are long enough to actually be useful. They will be used for more than storing rods.

Besides access to the wash down pump, you need easy access to the bilge pump. It can be an ordeal to pull up the floor of the boat to get at this stuff so you'll need hinged or removable access panels built in. Almost nobody has these but they make repairs easy and if you need to fix something one the water, you need to be able to do it.

Make sure you have complete access to the fuel system and wiring so you don't need to tear the boat apart to get at something.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #11
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post

Storage: I hate it when people use storage for garbage. Don't like finding pop cans, food wrappers, whatever in various places around the boat. If your storage is too convenient, it might backfire. Depends on your passengers.

Funny how I was thinking about the EXACT same thing. I have WAY too much convenient "storage" that fills with that kind crap.

As for washdown pump.... I have TWO. Probably one of the most utilitarian features on my barge.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
PnwChrome
Steelhead

Wash Washdown pump is a must for me but I like a clean deck so if your on my ride wear rubber boots cause I will probably get you wet at some point , I also love it when using my fillet table set up. As far as my hot water bath, I forget I even have one, it's a place so store extra plugs and pretty much a catch all ...
PnwChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:16 PM   #13
Flatfish
King Salmon

We have two.

One in bow used a lot to clean fish box, cleanup after gutting etc.

One in stern rots. Try and use it to clean blood/guts/mustard from ham sammich in back of boat. It's easier to just grab a bucket and slosh water on the blood. By the time I turn the pump on, attach nozzle, I can be done.

Only had one pump die in last 15 years (Totally jinxed myself by stating it). Never drain or anything.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:39 AM   #14
Beefcake
Sturgeon

I forgot to winterize my washdown pump one year and ended up with a crack / leak. I rebuilt the system with a brass 90-degree ball valve attached to the through-hull fitting so that I can seal off the system when moored.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:17 AM   #15
Swifty27
Sturgeon

I finally have a boat with a washdown. I love it! Boat is stored in the garage so no winterization issues. I'd have it plumbed to the fish box as well. Either a second pump or a Y fitting. I'm planning to route a hose to mine (18ft boat) to keep a cleaner bleed box.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:40 AM   #16
NorthRiverRick
Tuna!

I would never be without a washdown pump in my sled, it’s too convenient. But...I store the sled in a garage so I don’t have to deal with winterizing issues like others.

The hot water sink always was a great sounding accessory to me (I don’t have one) but my buddy’s boat has one and it’s frequently a pain. Half the time it’s plugged up and doesn’t drain, overflowing onto his back tray. Typically, it’s only used for storing leads. Not sure if I’d use one if I had one in my boat.

I do have the double side trays in my sled. They are excellent. The extra storage on the lower tray for items not frequently used is a great way to keep things out of the way when fishing and catching. Everyone comments on how nice they are for storage and for that extra toehold when netting,etc.

My boat is only 18’ so I don’t fish a big messy crew and a bunch of kids, meaning I typically don’t have the trash collection issue that some folks may experience

Cheers

Sea Sport 2400
NorthRiverRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:25 AM   #17
PnwChrome
Steelhead

Dang it, after reading the last post now I gotta get one for my fish box as well 😫
PnwChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #18
Sourdough
Steelhead

About the side rod lockers.... One thing that has not been mentioned, and the primary reason I have them on my boat, is security. You can lock up your rods, and maybe other gear, while traveling. I always worried about the rods and reels laying in the bottom of the boat while at the gas station / potty stop or a meal break. I don't worry now. And I find them really convenient. Rods are always loaded and ready to go.
Sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #19
ripalip2
Steelhead

wash down pump, i would say yes, first boat i just used a bucket, new boat has one and i still find myself using the bucket but the washdown is real handy when cleaning fish, rinsing coolers, washing sand off shoes and boots and stuff like that
sink, i would say no, just becomes a catch all, stuff gets left in there and gets rusted

cant speak for double trays, but sure wish i had a rod locker, if i was getting a new boat a rod locker would be a must have
ripalip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #20
Dan Feller
Steelhead

The wash down pump was the one option that the boat dealer pushed on us. I called him up to thank him on our third trip out when the dog took a dump on the deck...
Dan Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #21
deerlick
Steelhead

Hot sink wash down and rod lockers are the three must haves for me. Dual trays just ad another place for people to put stuff in your way
deerlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:54 PM   #22
Jared Jorgensen
Ifish Nate

Wash down on both ends of the boat is a necessity for me(we get by with a bucket in AK). Rod lockers are super nice depending on how you fish. I like the hot water sink to clean my bait prep area, but I know lots of people who never use it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Jared Jorgensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #23
fishnhunt13
Chromer

Personally every boat I will ever own will have a washdown pump. I've done the five gallon bucket. It works but it's a pain.
At a minimum have them weld the bung in and plug it. They won't charge you any extra and you've got it when it if you want to install it later. I had koffler do that to mine and it took two years to then add the pump.
Rod lockers are something we really wish we had. With dogs, kids, and adults a locker would protect the extra rods. Plus I could secure them in the boat at night and not have to carry them somewhere else.
As for the second set of trays. Yes. Moe places you can store stuff the better. I've never regretted having more.
I agree with posters above it does create a place for trash to accumulate. However, I've found if I keep a trash bin available and my boat is clean (lead by example) then the amount drops to zero. Those that still trash my boat are not invited back.
As far as the sink. I don't have one. Thought about one a lot. Schemed how to install one. Ultimately I've decided I wouldn't use it and I've moved on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
fishnhunt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #24
Hubbs
Tuna!

Washdown pump: definitely yes. The higher the flow the better. To winterize, I just suck a gallon or so of RV antifreeze up into the pump and leave it there. Am I doing something wrong? I plumbed it with PEX so if there is water in the distribution line the PEX will expand and not break.

Hot Water Sink: definitely yes as well. Keeps stuff clean, can safely wash gear without leaving over the gunwale, and functions as a hand warmer on those cold springer mornings.

Dual Tackle Trays: another definitely yes. We keep the bumpers in the lower trays, along with my daughter's Corgi when she goes with us. Can never have too much storage space.
Hubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:00 PM   #25
2slow
Chromer

I have 2 washdown pumps, one in the back and one up front in my fish box. Pretty nice to throw fish into fish box to bleed and then wash the fish down and the box out after transferring fish to iced kill bag. The back one washes down the fighting area after landing the fish.

I have a hot water sink as well. It is a nice feature but probably not necessary. It is pretty nice to wash hands, knife, and plug cutter in warm water in springer season. I also just dunk my hands into it to warm them up a bit. I dont really use it in the fall.

Rod Lockers, got them, won't do without them again. Extra rods rigged and ready to go in case of a tangle or break down. Store rods for transport or saves hauling rods back and forth when moored all locked up and reasonably safe.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:25 PM   #26
Flatfish
King Salmon

I have not used hot water sink. It ends up being a catch all for knives, soap, scrub brushes, plug cut boxes, wd40 etc.

If I need to wash my hands, or clean off gear, I dip it in the river.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote