Want mor fish? Let's work together. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-24-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
Big Bubba
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 827
Default Want mor fish? Let's work together.

This latest decision by ODFW and WDFW has generated a lot of discussion. It has been suggested to write to your state reps. Please do that too. But what about working together with other groups that have a mutual interest in salmon and steelhead recovery?

For a number of years there has been a lot of mud slinging between sports and commercials and tribes. This needs to end. It is a waste of our time and money. Instead, pool our resources and begin using them to be united for fish with the goal of gaining a larger voice without being labeled sport or commercial but rather pro-fish.

Such a group has been formed and has 215 members. It is called Fishermen United Northwest and made up of sport and commercial fishermen. You can join this Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups. The purpose is to sustain harvestable fish through public education and local involvement.
Fishermen United Northwest is a grassroots agenda promoted through social medias. It is an opportunity to enhance the influences of those of us that are true stakeholders. We may not agree on every issue, but there is plenty of common ground we do agree on. Foremost is to prevent a continued decline of our beloved fisheries. Every one can agree on that!

Those of us ifishers already members are tinbender, Soulakala, Polenet, RLAG, Big Bubba.

Prior ifish.net quotes:

[I]"The issue the way I see it is this; all sorts of groups out there like CCA, Salmon for All, and god knows who else are pointing fingers at each other for lack of fish. The commercials don't like CCA, CCA hates commercials and then we have the tribal interests. As long as everyone goes around blaming someone else the regulators and political interests have a green flag to do what they want, as they are doing now. Soulakala
>
> [I]"The better path would be sports, commercials, and tribes uniting to demand better management and more fish for everyone." Big Game Fishing
>
> "I remember Bill Macmillan saying exactly that many years ago. Sportfishers, netters and tribes must unite in the battle. I sincerely have never understood why we ignore this truism..United we are much more stronger " Nq015a
>
> "Unite! That is the only way!" dan silverman
>
> "Many & small is always a losing political position. Until sportsman figure out how to change that expect more of the same." Grizz86
>
> "The better path would be sports, commercials, and tribes uniting to demand better management and more fish for everyone. Yep yep and yep" [email protected]
>
>> "My mantra is MORE FISH FOR EVERYONE.
> They give you little wins, but keep the big war raging, on both sides, that's how THEY WIN.
> Meanwhile, sports, commercials, and fish are all losing." Big Game Fishing

Again, ]Fishermen United Northwest[/B][/U]. You can join this Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups.

Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2020, 06:27 AM   #2
dan silverman
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Skamokawa, Wa.
Posts: 23
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

+1, user groups should stick together. It's very counter productive to fight among our selves.
dan silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,612
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

I think I'll grab a previous post from "Big Game Fishing" which is something like "The better path would be sports, commercials, and tribes uniting to demand better management and more for everyone".


Don't get me wrong CCA along with others have done a great deal for our fishery and continue to do so. The only thing wrong or should I say dividing the effort is everyone is already labeled and wants to blame the other for doing wrong. I'm neither sport or pro-commercial, I grew up in Astoria most of my teachers net fished in the summer, my dads best friends were commercial fishermen and a few worked building wood gillnet boats. But like my dad I fish for sport or should I say put fish in the freezer to enjoy all year long. So like I've said before staying divided and thumping your chest for the group you relate to is not in the long term productive. We need a single all inclusive voice for managing the fishing resource. Its even stronger when all the individual groups are backing one voice - it will get dang loud before Salem and Olympia hear it, but it will be heard.
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
dan silverman
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Skamokawa, Wa.
Posts: 23
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
I think I'll grab a previous post from "Big Game Fishing" which is something like "The better path would be sports, commercials, and tribes uniting to demand better management and more for everyone".


Don't get me wrong CCA along with others have done a great deal for our fishery and continue to do so. The only thing wrong or should I say dividing the effort is everyone is already labeled and wants to blame the other for doing wrong. I'm neither sport or pro-commercial, I grew up in Astoria most of my teachers net fished in the summer, my dads best friends were commercial fishermen and a few worked building wood gillnet boats. But like my dad I fish for sport or should I say put fish in the freezer to enjoy all year long. So like I've said before staying divided and thumping your chest for the group you relate to is not in the long term productive. We need a single all inclusive voice for managing the fishing resource. Its even stronger when all the individual groups are backing one voice - it will get dang loud before Salem and Olympia hear it, but it will be heard.
Well said!
dan silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #5
joe_camo
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,972
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

There really can never be enough groups of concerned people who care about the fish.

The key is to work with everyone and not against any one group or ideology.
joe_camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
dan silverman
Cutthroat
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Skamokawa, Wa.
Posts: 23
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

More fish for everyone!
dan silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
B. Coastal
Chromer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 615
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

This is a great idea and I would join in a heartbeat, if I was on facebook. Who knows, this might just get me to join?


BC
__________________

B. Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #8
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon
 
AnnaDraMoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Milwaukie,Oregon,USA
Posts: 7,066
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

I just want my Endorsement tax refunded.
Sorry, carry on.
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
Big Bubba
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 827
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Coastal View Post
This is a great idea and I would join in a heartbeat, if I was on facebook. Who knows, this might just get me to join?


BC
BC
Facebook is easy to join. But here is how you can help promote this. Join FB, build you friend network on FB and then invite those friends interested in salmon steelhead recovery to join the Fishermen United. When they join, they too can invite their friends creating the Domino effect and so on.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #10
namu mac
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Klipsan Beach
Posts: 4,476
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Coastal View Post
This is a great idea and I would join in a heartbeat, if I was on facebook. Who knows, this might just get me to join?


BC
X2 No social media for me So, how does one find out about this?
__________________
The worst day fishing beats staying home and doing yard work.
I eat salmon not Sea Lions
namu mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:40 PM   #11
DesertFishing
Coho
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Seattle & Eastern WA
Posts: 62
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Joined. Who’s right and who’s wrong will be argued until the end of time. I really can’t make sense of it all but if there are no salmon everyone loses. What I see is everyone fighting for their piece of a shrinking pie when all groups should be focusing on preserving and growing one of the northwest’s most important resources.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DesertFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #12
jds10
Steelhead
 
jds10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 230
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Many great comments here. Thank you all.
jds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:26 PM   #13
B. Coastal
Chromer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 615
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bubba View Post
BC
Facebook is easy to join. But here is how you can help promote this. Join FB, build you friend network on FB and then invite those friends interested in salmon steelhead recovery to join the Fishermen United. When they join, they too can invite their friends creating the Domino effect and so on.

Thanks Big Bubba, it's just that being one to lean towards introvert, Facebook has not been a big attraction for me. If there is cool family or friends stuff on there, my wife makes sure to keep me updated. Ya got me thinking about it, though. Keep up the good work guys. Working together would be more productive, for sure.



BC
__________________

B. Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #14
garyk
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: On the BIG River, Columbia Co.
Posts: 15,866
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Upper river stocks are the constraints on a couple of the most important CR fisheries - commercial and recreational.

The only practical and best way of increasing these stocks of salmon and steelhead is the removal of the four lower Snake River dams.

Oregon's Governor recently weighed in, in support of removing those dams and is receiving the expected heavy criticism from those profiting from the status quo.

Toward the goal of 'more fish' what is Fishermen United Northwest doing to support the governor? Can we expect a press release or other visible measure of support?

I don't do FB so I look forward to your reply.
__________________
Welcome, to the days you've made.
IFisher 234

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:33 AM   #15
Big Bubba
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 827
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Upper river stocks are the constraints on a couple of the most important CR fisheries - commercial and recreational.

The only practical and best way of increasing these stocks of salmon and steelhead is the removal of the four lower Snake River dams.

Oregon's Governor recently weighed in, in support of removing those dams and is receiving the expected heavy criticism from those profiting from the status quo.

Toward the goal of 'more fish' what is Fishermen United Northwest doing to support the governor? Can we expect a press release or other visible measure of support?

I don't do FB so I look forward to your reply.
Thanks Gary, We originated in Cathlamet Wa. We do have one of our state reps attending our meetings and is a member of our Facebook page. As of today, the member count is 216. Considering it started with two, that is decent growth.

I am not well versed on the dams. You are. Here is what I can do. If you would offer a reasonable evaluation of the pros and cons, I will copy and load it to the FUNW FB site. If you wish, I can add your name as the author or simply state OP was from ifish.net.

Our objective is to educate. People in the know are great resources to contribute to our site. Thank you in advance if you choose to contribute.

As for a press release, one of our members is media savvy. Once you provide your brief, I can present it and ask FUNW support it publicly.

Bottomline, we will do what we can as long as it is a positive influence for fish.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #16
Big Bubba
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 827
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Coastal View Post
Thanks Big Bubba, it's just that being one to lean towards introvert, Facebook has not been a big attraction for me. If there is cool family or friends stuff on there, my wife makes sure to keep me updated. Ya got me thinking about it, though. Keep up the good work guys. Working together would be more productive, for sure.



BC
BC, perhaps your wife could join and you access her friends account for people interested in salmon steelhead recovery. Refer those friends to the FB site, and adios.

Or have your wife give you a heads up when we post on Facebook. Several members do this.

We are after you as a stakeholder and any friends interested in the promotion of fish recovery. We need you.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:38 AM   #17
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,612
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

I'm glad to see these comments as FUNW is not about taking over or pulling people from other groups its about bring them together for a common cause without prejudices one way or the other. The one thing I learned when negotiating is find the common thread and then build from that. You soon find more in common than you might have thought possible. Facebook is used as a bulletin board for FUNW as its one step to getting this group started and building like a snowball going down the hill. Its a grass roots effort if I can use that phrase without stepping in dog poo. Getting momentum depends on everyone getting onto that FB page, telling friends and having them join in, it costs nothing but the number of folks on that group will start to have meaning later.
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #18
garyk
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: On the BIG River, Columbia Co.
Posts: 15,866
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bubba View Post
Thanks Gary, We originated in Cathlamet Wa. We do have one of our state reps attending our meetings and is a member of our Facebook page. As of today, the member count is 216. Considering it started with two, that is decent growth.

I am not well versed on the dams. You are. Here is what I can do. If you would offer a reasonable evaluation of the pros and cons, I will copy and load it to the FUNW FB site. If you wish, I can add your name as the author or simply state OP was from ifish.net.

Our objective is to educate. People in the know are great resources to contribute to our site. Thank you in advance if you choose to contribute.

As for a press release, one of our members is media savvy. Once you provide your brief, I can present it and ask FUNW support it publicly.

Bottomline, we will do what we can as long as it is a positive influence for fish.

Big Bubba, I'm glad that you're interested. Others are far more knowledgeable than me and have already done the work so here's a cogent summary (as I mentioned earlier, I do not do FB):

https://www.wildsalmon.org/projects/...r-project.html

Save Our Wild Salmon is a coalition with at least 56 member organizations. Take some time and explore their website.
__________________
Welcome, to the days you've made.
IFisher 234

"Our best hatcheries, our most resilient, efficient and lasting hatcheries are in fact healthy rivers."

"Keep Public Lands Public - Now and Forever"
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #19
Whethole
Sturgeon
 
Whethole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: The Surrounding Hills
Posts: 4,288
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

I would gladly join a group that supports fisheries If they didnt require Facebook. When this group gets more organized outside of the realm of FB, let me know. I applaud the effort, keep up the good work.
__________________
"Lets keep the stupid to a minimum."
18x60 Willies Drift Boat
Whethole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #20
namu mac
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Klipsan Beach
Posts: 4,476
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
I'm glad to see these comments as FUNW is not about taking over or pulling people from other groups its about bring them together for a common cause without prejudices one way or the other. The one thing I learned when negotiating is find the common thread and then build from that. You soon find more in common than you might have thought possible. Facebook is used as a bulletin board for FUNW as its one step to getting this group started and building like a snowball going down the hill. Its a grass roots effort if I can use that phrase without stepping in dog poo. Getting momentum depends on everyone getting onto that FB page, telling friends and having them join in, it costs nothing but the number of folks on that group will start to have meaning later.
There are several "No Facebookj" comments here. How about a web site? I agree with all I've read here, but I don't and won't do Facebook.
__________________
The worst day fishing beats staying home and doing yard work.
I eat salmon not Sea Lions
namu mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #21
Sallysea
Chromer
 
Sallysea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coos Bay,Oregon
Posts: 878
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

It is good to see a new group at the north end of the state. Here in the south end, we just formed a new group too. It is called CAA, Coastal Angler Alliance and we are quickly building in numbers bringing in other groups for a single voice.
It is clear that supplementation of current fish runs with hatchery fish is out the window. It does not seem to matter what new methods of reproduction are used or what methods are used for distributIon of hatchery fish. If the left has their way, all natural spawning fish will be off limits or catch and release at best.
It does not matter if you commercial fish or sport fish, you had better organize if you want to protect or improve your way of life.
The south coast CMP is coming up and based on information in the agenda, it is clear ODFW is listening to our opponents already.
Sallysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:12 AM   #22
Big Bubba
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 827
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallysea View Post
It is good to see a new group at the north end of the state. Here in the south end, we just formed a new group too. It is called CAA, Coastal Angler Alliance and we are quickly building in numbers bringing in other groups for a single voice.
It is clear that supplementation of current fish runs with hatchery fish is out the window. It does not seem to matter what new methods of reproduction are used or what methods are used for distributIon of hatchery fish. If the left has their way, all natural spawning fish will be off limits or catch and release at best.
It does not matter if you commercial fish or sport fish, you had better organize if you want to protect or improve your way of life.
The south coast CMP is coming up and based on information in the agenda, it is clear ODFW is listening to our opponents already.
Good to hear. See PM. OK to CC Soulakala if you wish to reply.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 AM   #23
loper
King Salmon
 
loper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 6,506
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namu mac View Post
...I don't and won't do Facebook.


the needs of the many outweigh the choices of the one

or you could be the new website administrator
__________________
OHA Capitol Chapter (Life Member)
RMEF Life Member, OR-FNAWS Life Member, Pheasants Forever, Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, NW Predator Hunters Association, OBH, Oregon Shed Hunters, BHA
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:41 AM   #24
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,612
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallysea View Post
It is good to see a new group at the north end of the state. Here in the south end, we just formed a new group too. It is called CAA, Coastal Angler Alliance and we are quickly building in numbers bringing in other groups for a single voice.
It is clear that supplementation of current fish runs with hatchery fish is out the window. It does not seem to matter what new methods of reproduction are used or what methods are used for distributIon of hatchery fish. If the left has their way, all natural spawning fish will be off limits or catch and release at best.
It does not matter if you commercial fish or sport fish, you had better organize if you want to protect or improve your way of life.
The south coast CMP is coming up and based on information in the agenda, it is clear ODFW is listening to our opponents already.

Its all about getting involved which adds to the head count of who is watching and saying something. Its all in the numbers, more people involved and those in Salem and Olympia start to notice. It doesn't matter whether its on FB, Twitter or Ifish a group that can be counted is important. It creates a number that can be brought out in conversations with politicians and fish regulators as 100,000 voters wanting change. That my friends is why you need to join a group, even if you hate these social groups it becomes a powerful number.
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:18 AM   #25
Colorado300wsm
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 146
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Sorry. I’ll never join a group that supports ANY type of commercial net fishing on the CR. I’ve been fortunate enough to fish all over the US, and the rest of the US learned a long time ago, that there should be no commercial fishing in any river. Why WA and OR haven’t come to the same conclusion is beyond me. If the states want fish to the market, sell a commercial license add on to regular fishing licenses, which allows sporties to sell an extra fish or two, that are line caught, to buyers. It’s time the sporties quit buying the crap from the commercial guys that they are needed in any form, for fish to reach the markets. Get the nets off, like the rest of the country has already done.
Colorado300wsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:32 AM   #26
freespool
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: woodstock
Posts: 18,870
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallysea View Post
It is good to see a new group at the north end of the state. Here in the south end, we just formed a new group too. It is called CAA, Coastal Angler Alliance and we are quickly building in numbers bringing in other groups for a single voice.
It is clear that supplementation of current fish runs with hatchery fish is out the window. It does not seem to matter what new methods of reproduction are used or what methods are used for distributIon of hatchery fish. If the left has their way, all natural spawning fish will be off limits or catch and release at best.
It does not matter if you commercial fish or sport fish, you had better organize if you want to protect or improve your way of life.
The south coast CMP is coming up and based on information in the agenda, it is clear ODFW is listening to our opponents already.

I would argue the state of our fisheries are a result of what the right wanted, unrestricted access to resource extraction with no regard for the negative impacts on the environment.
Welcome to the days we have made.
__________________
salmon hugger





"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:52 AM   #27
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon
 
Gun Rod Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 14,345
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Big Bubba,

May i suggest that if you are genuinely trying to start a group that is all about inclusion and getting along you refrain from making statements about what other groups "hate".

Quote:
"The issue the way I see it is this; all sorts of groups out there like CCA, Salmon for All, and god knows who else are pointing fingers at each other for lack of fish. The commercials don't like CCA, CCA hates commercials and then we have the tribal interests."
Without the help of the Columbia River Treaty Tribes no sea lion bill would have ever made it.

I have also recently given examples of how CCA worked hand in glove with commercial harvesters on the Marine Reserve issue. There are many close friends and chapter members of mine that are commercial fisherman. So that statement is offensive to me. Not a good first step

When you are working for sustainable and abundant runs of salmon and steelhead you often find yourself opposed by commercial harvesters. I'm ok with that. Carry on and best of luck to you in your new endeavor.
__________________
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." Greek Proverb
Bundìn er bàtlaus mađur
Gun Rod Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #28
Sallysea
Chromer
 
Sallysea's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Coos Bay,Oregon
Posts: 878
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

this is not a time to say no because of objections to some past actions. The motivation of opposing groups is quite clear, just go to their websites and read.
Clear streams off limits to any human influence is noble and I like places like that too. But I like to fish too. Hatcheries and hatchery fish are the target. Getting there starts with catch and release for any unclipped fish. Then closing hatcheries through misleading political actions such as recent films. If you like to throw a fish on a BBQ, better get involved. Join the groups that support your life style. If there are some objections to what the group has done in the past, get involved to improve the group. Now is the time.
Sallysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #29
freespool
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: woodstock
Posts: 18,870
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Wasn't it the timber industry that went to the Supreme Court to get out of protecting water quality?
Wasn't it the timber industry that put up false ads on the TSF ballot measure to protect fish habitat?
At this point I need to see something other than words.
__________________
salmon hugger





"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:00 AM   #30
LineIsTight
Steelhead
 
LineIsTight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 125
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallysea View Post
this is not a time to say no because of objections to some past actions. The motivation of opposing groups is quite clear, just go to their websites and read.
Clear streams off limits to any human influence is noble and I like places like that too. But I like to fish too. Hatcheries and hatchery fish are the target. Getting there starts with catch and release for any unclipped fish. Then closing hatcheries through misleading political actions such as recent films. If you like to throw a fish on a BBQ, better get involved. Join the groups that support your life style. If there are some objections to what the group has done in the past, get involved to improve the group. Now is the time.
Bingo! Joining a group that you disagree with can definitely affect change and help move it in the direction you'd like to see. Great comment!
LineIsTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #31
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,612
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallysea View Post
this is not a time to say no because of objections to some past actions. The motivation of opposing groups is quite clear, just go to their websites and read.
Clear streams off limits to any human influence is noble and I like places like that too. But I like to fish too. Hatcheries and hatchery fish are the target. Getting there starts with catch and release for any unclipped fish. Then closing hatcheries through misleading political actions such as recent films. If you like to throw a fish on a BBQ, better get involved. Join the groups that support your life style. If there are some objections to what the group has done in the past, get involved to improve the group. Now is the time.

Bingo, on target, bullseye, 10-score is what needs to happen. Getting involved and focused and forget pointing fingers at other fish harvesters is what it will take. I know that's going to be hard for some of us but until everyone is chanting MORE FISH and we get more fish its just a bunch of splinter groups doing THEIR thing.
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #32
Big Bubba
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 827
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Had a good conversation with members of Oregon Anglers Alliance out of Coos Bay area. Same agenda as Fishermen United Northwest. We agreed to stay connected and provide support for one another.

This is good stuff when the stakeholders can set aside past differences and try to develop positive influences for the future. Of course we will not agree on every thing, but there is plenty of common ground we can build on. Hatcheries, harvest, habitat and predators is a very good place to start.

Much, much stronger voice united.

You can find us at Fishermen United Northwest, Facebook groups. We will discuss the making of a website at the next meeting. Any one interested in helping, send me a PM. Thanks.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:51 AM   #33
freespool
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: woodstock
Posts: 18,870
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Everyone wants more fish, but in the future if stocks are abundant they will be wild.
So if your plan entails leveraging the government into planting more hatchery fish, then your going to be disappointed.
__________________
salmon hugger





"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #34
HiTide
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North Bend OR
Posts: 392
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespool View Post
Everyone wants more fish, but in the future if stocks are abundant they will be wild.
So if your plan entails leveraging the government into planting more hatchery fish, then your going to be disappointed.
Freespool, you better tighten your drag. Many of our rivers had almost no fish until we got hatchery fish.
HiTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:57 PM   #35
freespool
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: woodstock
Posts: 18,870
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

The demise of robust coastal salmon and steelhead stocks are a direct result of logging practices that did not protect fish habitat.
And those practices still exist today, water quality is not protected.
__________________
salmon hugger





"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:09 PM   #36
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,612
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespool View Post
The demise of robust coastal salmon and steelhead stocks are a direct result of logging practices that did not protect fish habitat.
And those practices still exist today, water quality is not protected.
You need to look back 30 years and compare forestery practices to what we have today. A huge improvement but there's room for more. I could write up a book of WDFW failed practices in local streams that were worse than anything a logger could do. You might also look to your own urban landscaping practices that pollute our streams. Again we can complain from our easy chair or get involved and become a voice of many for change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:19 PM   #37
freespool
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: woodstock
Posts: 18,870
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

You need to read ODFW's coastal stock assessment surveys.


1. Water quality


2. Lack of LWD


3. Poor stream complexity


The three leading factors inhibiting recovery are a direct result of logging practices that don't protect critical fish habitat.
Countless coastal rivers and streams reach lethal temps several times a summer.
Now tell me again how much better it is.
__________________
salmon hugger





"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:37 PM   #38
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,612
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Lets compare now to then, starting with splash dams, pulling logs down the creek, combining runoff draws causing mass erosion, WDFW running excavators in the stream with returning salmon milling around the site. WDFW spending a million bucks to have machine built to remove silt from streams which destroyed that years in stream spawn and with stream running in the clean larger gravel you could walk the stream in tennis shoes without getting your feet wet later that summer. So blaming logging is not the single source of water quality. And I would bet that unless you know how research the two WDFW examples you wouldn't find them in a report of total failures.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #39
Hydrophilic
Tuna!
 
Hydrophilic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,885
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Freespool is correct.

A united front coming together for more fish really needs to address the meat and potatoes of our fishless problem...i.e. water quality, water temps, sediment/erosion, lack of a proper buffer zone, etc. Forestry management has a lot to do with this, so does agriculture, private property ownership, etc. Commercial fishing is also on the list in my opinion.

A united commercial and sport group sounds awesome but I get the hunch the above issues will get 5-10% of the attention and the rest will go towards hatchery fish because historically it has been the easiest and most painless way of addressing an issue which nobody wants to truly address.

If my hunch is wrong then let me know and I will keep an eye out for a website in the future, since I don't have facebook. Good luck
__________________
Hydrophilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #40
Big Bubba
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 827
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrophilic View Post
Freespool is correct.

A united front coming together for more fish really needs to address the meat and potatoes of our fishless problem...i.e. water quality, water temps, sediment/erosion, lack of a proper buffer zone, etc. Forestry management has a lot to do with this, so does agriculture, private property ownership, etc. Commercial fishing is also on the list in my opinion.

A united commercial and sport group sounds awesome but I get the hunch the above issues will get 5-10% of the attention and the rest will go towards hatchery fish because historically it has been the easiest and most painless way of addressing an issue which nobody wants to truly address.

If my hunch is wrong then let me know and I will keep an eye out for a website in the future, since I don't have facebook. Good luck
Understood, but lets hope those committed to salmon recovery recognize the need for vast improvements on key issues you mention. Personally, totally agree habitat is is a priority. Frist words that came out Oregon Anglers Alliance was a discussion on habitat. Please do keep tooting your horn on this, you are well versed and your opinion resected.

I live on a CR tributary in SW Washington. I am keenly aware of the needs for this river. I also have a good list of waterfront property owners that are same page for improvements to this river. Our problem isn't our willingness to improve habitat, but getting the government agencies that control the grants and projects to perform their duties. I had a county conservation director tell me "I do not like working with volunteers." Nice way to start out a relationship, eh?

Back to your point, we will definitely focus on habitat and do all we can to improve it. Lots of moving parts and tough to coordinate. Like herding cats.
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #41
Big Bubba
Chromer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest
Posts: 827
Default Re: Want mor fish? Let's work together.

On 3-13-20 we met with WDFW SW Reg. 5 Directors Kessina Lee and Bryce Glaser. It was a good meeting with information flowing both ways. The takeaway was for us to trade valid information to improve communications to benefit the public and the agency. I will try to provide a summary.

First topic was "one fish and go home". Though seemingly popular among sport fishermen, it was not politically favorable to WDFW. The main issues were, WDFW does have good data for releasing "wild fish" and was not ready to allow the public to harvest a wild or hatchery fish and rack their rod for the day. In the end, the conclusion was if this rule were in place, it most likely would mean a much shorter season.

Next, Ms Lee was the primary speaker on targeting predators at "choke points" by dams and up and down the Columbia River and any tribs. It was made clear WDFW focus was in areas where predators were killing fish and simply should not be there. Other parts of the CR, predators are allowed to roam freely because they are still a protected marine mammal. Not popular, but a fact. Ms Lee concluded she was cautiously optimistic the program was effective. She also alluded to the Willamette Falls extraction of predators and how successful that program has been. Ms Lee said she would provide more information so we can post on this site.

The last topic was the continuation of testing for fish and selling those harvested. Mike Backman (commercial) expressed his objections to the state harvesting and selling fish while the commercial fleet was idle. There was lively conversation towards the Pound Net testing and the testing done by a select few commercial fishermen. The necessity of both was challenged as was the state's method for selling fish taken. Mr Glaser mentioned a number of times the funds from the sale of the fish are turned back in to the test program allowing it to be self sustaining. With out these funds, WDFW would need to find revenue elsewhere to conduct the tests. He also mentioned the data obtained was invaluable and allowed the agency to make decisions through the year for commercial and sport fishing seasons. One of the reasons why test data is so effective is the types of chips that can be taken from the fish harvested. Much better data when the fish can be thoroughly examined versus those caught, checked and released. Concluding remark by Ms Less, given the method currently in place to sell fish, she said they would take a close look at how it was done and do their best to make it more equitable for all.

Fishermen United Northwest, Facebook group page
Big Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.71497 seconds with 55 queries