Trolling in Newport/ Waldport Bay for Salmon - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 07-31-2019, 10:42 AM   #1
Kokaneebeginner
Coho

Default Trolling in Newport/ Waldport Bay for Salmon

Hi all,
Wanting to try trolling in either Newport bay or Waldport bay for salmon as they start coming in. I think I know a pretty good setup and have trolled for kokanee a lot which must be somewhat similar. Have also been out in the ocean and caught salmon in someone else's boat. Just wondering if there is anything else we will need to know trolling for salmon. Specific parts of the bay that are better? Also, is there any way to know when the #s of returning fish will make it worth trying? I have heard mid to late Augest? Feel free to PM me with advice. Thanks in advance!

Kokaneebeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
flopearedmule
Chromer

Default Re: Trolling in Newport/ Waldport Bay for Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaneebeginner View Post
Hi all,
Wanting to try trolling in either Newport bay or Waldport bay for salmon as they start coming in. I think I know a pretty good setup and have trolled for kokanee a lot which must be somewhat similar. Have also been out in the ocean and caught salmon in someone else's boat. Just wondering if there is anything else we will need to know trolling for salmon. Specific parts of the bay that are better? Also, is there any way to know when the #s of returning fish will make it worth trying? I have heard mid to late Augest? Feel free to PM me with advice. Thanks in advance!
I saw a you tube video of a few guys fishing trolling winchester bay in a drift boat awhile back. If you search for that you can see there setup and catching. They were little bit above the 101 bridge up in the bay but it looked sweet. Thats where I get most of my info nowadays
flopearedmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
flopearedmule
Chromer

Disregard. I thought I read winchester bay
flopearedmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2019, 06:01 PM   #4
Aton
Chromer

If Darwins theory of adaptive radiation has any merit then my guess is...anything that works in Winchester bay will work in Waldport or Yaquina. Fish are dumb. They don't know what harbor they are in.
Aton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
Gofishinfool
Coho

My take is when trolling for nooks, bump the bottom, coho, watch for bait balls and troll suspended in that vicinity. Also, dont believe all the hype on "having to troll with the tide" jargon. We've landed just as many, if not more salmon trolling against the tide. Alls your doing is cutting your fishing time in half
Gofishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
sublloyd
Steelhead

So is the Yaquina not closed this season for all salmon or is it just coho? Does that start at the tips or at some other upstream point?
sublloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
lexie
Steelhead

doh Re: Trolling in Newport/ Waldport Bay for Salmon

First of all, you need some "Fall Salmon." Sounds like the numbers will be down again this year.. Anymore....it's an excuse to get out of the house for a few hours. (I get skunked....er....fish the Siletz.)

"YOUR GOING TO GET SKUNKED IF YOU STAY HOME."
lexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:57 PM   #8
Dave G
King Lingcod

I have been hearing for weeks that ODFW is going to close some coastal rivers. Don't know where that's at now. On the other hand, very few Chinook in the Yaquina. U-Da man cancelled their annual tournament this year. Last year there was only 1 fish caught that was legal.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
Spinitrode
King Salmon

I've got zero personal experience trolling the Yaquina, but have tried the Alsea several times with some success. If you put in at the main marina in town, the most common trolling spots are just in front of the private house docks along the hwy upstream, or on the other side further up around Drift Cr. There are also some more 'rustic' put-ins and a marina off the hwy across from Drift Cr. Between those 2 zones is a wide flat that's too shallow to do much other than scooch across to the other side either way.

Guides & experienced folks in bigger boats will also go out and fish the jaws at the mouth of the bay, but that can be pretty sketchy if you don't know what you're doing (and sometimes even if you do). Never attempted it in my dinky vessel. Between the areas I mentioned, the main part of the bay can appear tempting, but it's usually choked w/ crab gear & buoys except for the main channel, but trolling there sucks too with the faster thru traffic; basically you're constantly in their way and they're in yours, so the one time we tried it we quickly figured out why all the salmon boats are either further up or down at the mouth instead of fighting the crab fleet.

In terms of tactics, it's pretty shallow (often 10' or less depending on tide) so compared to trolling in deeper water it takes less lead or else I see a lot of folks using divers to get the gear further back from the boat. The big skateboard-style flashers also aren't as popular as the triangles since there isn't as much vertical space for them to do their thing. Otherwise there's no real secret, just get in there and kinda follow along w/ the program so you're not cris-crossing the other boats too much. Biggest problem can be weeds depending on the tidal currents. Had one day we just had to quit early cuz we spent more time untangling than we did w/ our hooks in the water.
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
Kokaneebeginner
Coho

Thanks everyone, especially Spinitrode, for the helpful info! I think were going to hit the Alsea bay tomorrow since we have the day off and less traffic. Hopefully find some coho even if there aren't many chinook. One other question, does the tide make a difference, ie, is it better when the tide is lower or higher? Other question is, what kind of fish is everyone using along with their lures for bait? I have some mackerel in the freezer from a month ago, I've heard it's good for drift fishing a little later but not sure if it is what the fish want this early in the season?
Old 08-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #11
Greenleaf
Chromer

I would only fish bait at the jaws (at the river mouth) myself, upriver I would use a pro-troll and 3.5 spinner. Bait of choice is green label herring if that is the route you are going to go.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Kokaneebeginner
Coho

Appreciate the answer, Greenleaf!
Old 08-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Spinitrode
King Salmon

A lot of us use the Brad's superbaits (either the original 'banana' style or the newer cut plug shape) stuffed w/ grocery store tuna, plus whatever scent you like. There's another recent thread on that too...
Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #14
Spinitrode
King Salmon

As for tides, I'm kinda still figuring that out... I think I tend to prefer more on the high side since it's shallow to begin with; seems like it's a little more forgiving to get near the bottom but also a little further back from the boat when there's more water column to work with. However, big swings I don't like (extreme highs & lows) cuz it generates too much current, which I think also carries more weeds, so I look for flatter cycles.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #15
Kokaneebeginner
Coho

Thank you Spinitrode! We didnt make it out last weekend but the plan is to hit the water first thing tomorrow morning.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:45 PM   #16
Brads Dad
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaneebeginner View Post
Thank you Spinitrode! We didnt make it out last weekend but the plan is to hit the water first thing tomorrow morning.
Give us a report if you do Waldport. I would suggest you look at the tide tables before doing anything. Look at the ramp and the buoy just out North. It is on a sandbar and it's like a corn maze trying to get into enough water to head out. No worth it as hardly any fish have been caught yet. Bring crab pots and wait until there is enough water to float your boat. Afternoon well bring you some good crabbing.