Frozen Bait question - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-10-2017, 05:46 AM   #1
Kirkll
Steelhead

Default Frozen Bait question

I'd like some opinions on using frozen bait, and re-freezing it for the next trip.

i was introduced to using cured plug cut herring last fall and it made a huge difference on how many fish i caught. but its a process that adds extra cost to my bait, and i hate to waste it.

Some days i don't go through a lot of bait, or have time to fish very long, so i end up not using much of my herring. i keep it in a cooler with a little bit of the curing brine in a plastic bag while i'm fishing. then i stick it back in the freezer when i get home.

my question is this... is freezing and re-freezing my bait several time going to effect the quality of my bait? I still have frozen prawns from last year that i've thought about using too....

i'm not a cheap skate, i just hate wasting good bait. But.... I definitely don't want to waste my time fishing with bait that isn't going to attract fish....

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Kirkll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 06:47 AM   #2
Aton
Chromer

Default Re: Frozen Bait question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkll View Post
I'd like some opinions on using frozen bait, and re-freezing it for the next trip.

i was introduced to using cured plug cut herring last fall and it made a huge difference on how many fish i caught. but its a process that adds extra cost to my bait, and i hate to waste it.

Some days i don't go through a lot of bait, or have time to fish very long, so i end up not using much of my herring. i keep it in a cooler with a little bit of the curing brine in a plastic bag while i'm fishing. then i stick it back in the freezer when i get home.

my question is this... is freezing and re-freezing my bait several time going to effect the quality of my bait? I still have frozen prawns from last year that i've thought about using too....

i'm not a cheap skate, i just hate wasting good bait. But.... I definitely don't want to waste my time fishing with bait that isn't going to attract fish....

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
I've caught Chinook on leftover herring. Freeze in the brine. Now as far as freezing-thawing-re-freezing...not sure I would get that cost conscious as to risk it (not catching a fish). As far as I am concerned TIME is the largest expense when it comes to salmon fishing. At that point those baits will find a cozy spot soaking in a crab pot.
Aton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Jazzmandave
Tuna!

If they marinated a normal amount of time in a decent brine, they will last for a week or more in the fridge, so if you're going out again soon, no need to freeze. And yes they still catch.
Jazzmandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I don't seem to be able to catch fish on bait that's more than two days old. I also try to not brine more bait than I think I'll use.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
dogtwangg
Coho

what Aton said
dogtwangg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #6
rynomill
Fry

How can you tell when roe has gone bad?
rynomill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #7
mikebraun
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynomill View Post
If you can't tell by the smell give it a taste.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

If you keep it frozen and vacuum packed, it won't go bad for a loooooong time.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
The Overfishin Condition
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynomill View Post

I don't like mold on mine, but I have caught fish on eggs after tossing the moldy pieces. Sometimes they get a very different smell to them (not rotted, just... yeasty or something). I'll still fish them and still catch fish on them. Eggs are weird because some days the fish might actually prefer moldy old eggs and they will be hot.

Herring- I usually bribe half regular and half green. What I don't use of the regulars get added to the green brine and brought the next day as backup bait to the fresh bait I make. Usually they have lost enough scales they aren't prime bait anymore. They also tend to have shriveled up more from the salt. Will they still catch? Sure. But if they are 10% less effective I'd rather just use the new bait.

After a couple days they go into the freezer to be used as sturgeon bait, crab bait or tuna chum.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #10
rynomill
Fry

Thank you
rynomill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 AM   #11
mrmike
Chromer

Sorry to report but Herring when thawed shouldn't be refrozen. It get soft and will not troll just falls off the hook. If you want to troll around with no bait use refrozen bait even brined will not work. As for eggs with mold wouldn't hurt anything. The sugars are what molds. Just apply some type of alcohol to the mold will dissipate.
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
Swifty27
Sturgeon

If your herring gets mushy from refreezing, put it in a superbait.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike View Post
Sorry to report but Herring when thawed shouldn't be refrozen. It get soft and will not troll just falls off the hook. If you want to troll around with no bait use refrozen bait even brined will not work.
If you fish the refrozen, brined baits WHOLE, they work like a charm!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Pandion
Steelhead

When they are predicting a good Coho run, safe the refrozen herring for September. We caught Coho on plastic swim baits in September.
Pandion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #15
positize
Sturgeon

I pack my herring vertically with a few inches of ice on both sides - stays frozen all day in my inexpensive bait cooler (or darn close). Then I vacuum pack it first thing when I get back and toss in the freezer immediately. I never throw any herring away using this approach. And since it does not go bad, I feel free to pack a little extra every day just in case the bite is on.