Merry Christmas Everyone! - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 12-21-2016, 04:41 PM   #1
crabbait
King Salmon

Default Merry Christmas Everyone!

Merry Christmas Everyone! And may you all have a happy and prosperous new year.

Here are three hours of Christmas carols so you don't even need to look for them Christmas morning (or any other time):

We are in the middle of a Christmas move. Great planning, eh?

Actually, we have been living in a waterfall the last six months under a roof that leaks everywhere but the bedrooms (yay!). We were more than ready when the owner announced he needed to make major modifications (duh, he has had water running in the ceiling all rainy season).

Got the tree moved over tonight and the new oven is big enough for a turkey so we are practically set! Stay warm and...

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by crabbait; 12-21-2016 at 04:42 PM.
crabbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Dave G
King Lingcod

Default Re: Merry Christmas Everyone!

Merry Christmas to you too and a Happy New Year.

Dave G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
DB Crouper
Ifish Nate

Is beef rib roast available down south? Cost more than a pumpkin?
DB Crouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Deuce02
Tuna!

Such is life, Merry Christmas to all
Deuce02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
crabbait
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Crouper View Post
Is beef rib roast available down south? Cost more than a pumpkin?
Good news and bad news...

Yes, every cut of beef is available but it is "national beef" which means it grew up of brahma parentage on mountain slopes. There is a good reason that pressure cookers are popular here and steaks are thin and cooked well done.

I can get "decent" beef at Don Fernando's shop. Occasionally I will buy ribeye steaks there when I really get a craving but I haven't in more than a year simply because I can't bring myself to slice the family's steaks thin and cook them to death while I eat a nice thick med rare steak.

Seriously, 99% of the beef we eat is ground and either made into taco meat or incorporated into a spaghetti sauce (or meatballs). Beef here tastes like beef. I bet you didn't know that beef has a flavor similar to venison. It does when it isn't fattened in a feedlot.

We have a perfectly good turkey in the freezer that will suffice for Christmas dinner. A Butterball, imported of course.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 AM   #6
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbait View Post

Yes, every cut of beef is available but it is "national beef" which means it grew up of brahma parentage on mountain slopes. There is a good reason that pressure cookers are popular here and steaks are thin and cooked well done.

I can get "decent" beef at Don Fernando's shop. Occasionally I will buy ribeye steaks there when I really get a craving but I haven't in more than a year simply because I can't bring myself to slice the family's steaks thin and cook them to death while I eat a nice thick med rare steak.

Seriously, 99% of the beef we eat is ground and either made into taco meat or incorporated into a spaghetti sauce (or meatballs). Beef here tastes like beef. I bet you didn't know that beef has a flavor similar to venison. It does when it isn't fattened in a feedlot.

We have a perfectly good turkey in the freezer that will suffice for Christmas dinner. A Butterball, imported of course.

Never under estimate the deliciousness of a slow roasted ribeye. Some might find it blasphemy but cooking a rib eye like a brisket will make you never buy brisket again. The fat rendering and the slow breakdown. Don't even have to season it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2016, 06:09 AM   #7
Soulakala
King Salmon

Sounds like your kicked back life style in paradise comes with a few hiccups. As far as beef tasting like venison it would depend on the feed. Working some projects in NE Montana we bought local grass fed beef. Steaks and even hamburger was some of the best eats we have ever had. There was no comparison to whats available here in the NW. We even bought some beef from a local coastal farmer that fed only grass and hay and found that better than Safeway or Costco but not as good as Montana.

MERRY CHRISTMAS CRABBAIT AND TO YOUR FAMILY
Old 12-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #8
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

I know you'll make it a great one, Crabby! Sorry about the move logistics.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #9
Artwo
King Salmon

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well Crabby. I hope you all feel the love and joy of the holiday season...............

God Bless
Artwo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
Angler of Repose
Ifish Nate

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9030&FORM=VIRE
Angler of Repose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #11
Buccaneer
Tuna!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Safe travels, happy kids and critters.
Buccaneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #12
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Sounds like your kicked back life style in paradise comes with a few hiccups. As far as beef tasting like venison it would depend on the feed. Working some projects in NE Montana we bought local grass fed beef. Steaks and even hamburger was some of the best eats we have ever had. There was no comparison to whats available here in the NW. We even bought some beef from a local coastal farmer that fed only grass and hay and found that better than Safeway or Costco but not as good as Montana.

MERRY CHRISTMAS CRABBAIT AND TO YOUR FAMILY
Oh yeah..when flyfishing out of White Sulfer Springs, we stopped at a local store, close to a butcher shop, and picked up some of that local grown beef. It was absolutely delicious and cooked up very easy. It would be worth a trip back there just to pick up more of that.

Years ago, when my dad raised beef (just for the family use), he grain fed a calf until it was old enough to butcher. It was good, too, but VERY fat. He always said...grass fed on this side of the mountains didn't produce beef nearly as good as that fed on the range on the east side of the mountains. I guess he knew what he was talking about.
MsOutdrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:17 AM   #13
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Crabby...same to you. Hope your Christmas "surprise" moves easy and you are settled in somewhere that you and the family can kick back and enjoy.
MsOutdrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
Chass
King Salmon

Quote:

We grass feed our goats exclusively and they don't taste like deer In fact, goats have some VERY mild flavor and they thrive on grass and blackberries. They are a lot like Lamb but much milder flavor. We buy grass fed beef whenever possible. I find that when the meat isn't marbled, it cooks faster and you have to be very careful not to overcook it. I've traded for some really different tasting beef before. They always turn out to be un-grained cows. We get used to our feedlot beef but it isn't what I really want to be eating . . . at least not all the time.

We are having slow roasted Lamb in red sauce over home made ravioli for Christmas eve, a home grown turkey for Christmas dinner and Cioppino for the Monday night with the family. There goes the diet . . .

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-22-2016, 12:07 PM   #15
Fishing Dude
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Merry Christmas everyone!

Safe travels, happy kids and critters.
X2
Old 12-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #16
crabbait
King Salmon

Thanks everyone.

Today was the big moving day and we are almost finished with the big stuff. We will be making trips catching the small stuff and cleaning up until after Christmas. Just moved the cats over and the dogs are next.

Of course, we still have internet/TV here at the old house and won't get hooked up in the new one until tomorrow so I am dragging my feet next to a computer that works.

Pool table tomorrow. Called the same guys I bought it from (they bought several pool halls and reconditioned the tables then are selling them at a good price). The 8' I bought was the same price as a 9' but I just can't find a place with that kind of room. The guy who set it up last time was an artist. He set and grouted the slate in perfectly and leveled it better than any table I ever played on, it had absolutely no roll-off, straight 'til stopped. Sure hope I get the same guy (and get his card).

Smoothest move ever. Labor is cheap so I hired four guys with a big truck and pointed at large heavy things that needed to go, then pointed to where they needed to go on the other end. Can't believe how happy these guys are with less than $30 for a half day's hard work.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #17
Bonecrusher 0.338
Ifish Nate

Merry Christmas to you and everybody @ ifish. Hope everybody has great health and precious time together.
Old 12-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #18
hoganeer
Fry

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Today was the big moving day and we are almost finished with the big stuff. We will be making trips catching the small stuff and cleaning up until after Christmas. Just moved the cats over and the dogs are next.

Of course, we still have internet/TV here at the old house and won't get hooked up in the new one until tomorrow so I am dragging my feet next to a computer that works.

Pool table tomorrow. Called the same guys I bought it from (they bought several pool halls and reconditioned the tables then are selling them at a good price). The 8' I bought was the same price as a 9' but I just can't find a place with that kind of room. The guy who set it up last time was an artist. He set and grouted the slate in perfectly and leveled it better than any table I ever played on, it had absolutely no roll-off, straight 'til stopped. Sure hope I get the same guy (and get his card).

Smoothest move ever. Labor is cheap so I hired four guys with a big truck and pointed at large heavy things that needed to go, then pointed to where they needed to go on the other end. Can't believe how happy these guys are with less than $30 for a half day's hard work.
hoganeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:17 PM   #19
hoganeer
Fry

Crabbait,
Wife (5 year cancer survivor) and I just returned from our 2 week trip to Costa Rica. Thank you so much for your help on in country information. Not difficult to understand your love of the Country. Thanks for the Christmas music link. Been listening to it all day. Good luck on your relocation.
hoganeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #20
crabbait
King Salmon

Thanks and so glad I could be of assistance. Pura vida!

Thanks, Ms O, my herd is settling in. As you can see, we have internet in the new place, cable is working and the pool table is set up flat as a pancake (the man really is an artist). Everybody has a room, the dogs have a yard and the cats are taking over my bed. Situation normal.

Now maybe I can do some shopping...
Old 12-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #21
Herm
Ifish Nate

Can't wait to see the looks on everyone's faces when they see the Galaxy Note 7s I got them for Christmas.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #22
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herm View Post
Can't wait to see the looks on everyone's faces when they see the Galaxy Note 7s I got them for Christmas.

You get them on a flash sale? I hear it was a smoking deal.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:46 PM   #23
Herm
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMorgan View Post
You get them on a flash sale? I hear it was a smoking deal.

yep, they are the bomb.