Lake of the Woods, Oregon - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #1
Rick on Rogue
Chromer

Default Lake of the Woods, Oregon

I have asked before, but here I am again. I love this lake but struggle to catch fish from it. One of my goals is to catch some of the Kokanee that are in the lake. It seems that I use all of the prescribed stuff but have very limited luck. I was marking fish in the middle of the lake just off the weedbed, but they were spread out everywhere, There were no schools, I think I have heard somewhere that the Kokes do that in mid summer. I usually seem to catch at least 1 or 2 decent ones every time I go but would like to improve my catch total. I try to keep my 'stuff' just above the thermocline or a little above the markers. so please help me out here, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
dlm
Chromer

Default Re: Lake of the Woods, Oregon

What size are the Kokanee in that lake?
Old 08-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #3
Fishfeet
King Salmon

What dlm said.
Maybe they are small enough Kokanee, to not bite your offerings.
Think it was Tinman, ran into that problem at Suttle lake recently on this forum.
He was marking tons of fish, and threw everything but the anchor at them, with no take downs.

Last edited by Fishfeet; 08-20-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Fishfeet is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2019, 04:58 AM   #4
Rick on Rogue
Chromer

8-23-2019, 0500. My friend Randy and I hooked up the boat and and drove up to LAKE OF THE WOODS and launched at 0545, the sun was up enough that we didn't have to run lights. We pulled out onto the main body of the lake and rigged up. I put a silver Mack's DD dodger and attached a Kokanee Kid Mysis bug with silver blade with a touch of scent on the front hook. I let out about 20 ft of line and attached it to the down-rigger and went down to 25 ft. On the long-line I put another pink mysis bug with a gold smile blade on it that the rear hook had broken off of. It had 1 oz banana weight and a Mack's DD dodger in the center pole holder. Randy set up with dodger and pink hoochie and ran his down rigger 20 feet we trolled the middle of the lake for one pass then moved west (closer to the cabins) and trolled in 48 feet of water. My center pole started doing the dance and I reeled in a nice 13 inch kokanee, and put it in the live well. then the d/r pole started to act a little strange so I popped it loose and reeled in another 13 incher. Randy had a hook up but we didn't see what it was as it self released. My down-rigger pole brought 6 more nice kokes to the boat. 4 made it to the net and 2 self released right as we grabbed the net. It was so much fun catching these fish.
For me, Lake of the Woods has always been a beautiful place to fish. Easy launch, The water level stays almost the same all year, but it has always been a challenge to find the kokes and get them to bite my stuff. Yesterday was what I have been looking for, for many years. I always knew the kokes were there, just couldn't get them on the hook. The solunar table also said it was going to be a good fishing/catching day and it was right on. Everything came together and made it a great day on the water.
I will be going back for more.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:19 AM   #5
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Rick, congratulations on figuring out the LOTW kokes! I've never had a lot of luck on anything up there, but you are right-- it is just a lovely lake.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
Rick on Rogue
Chromer

9/21/2019, 0515. The boat had been packed and hooked up the evening before, so it was get up, grab some morning beverages and head out. We launched just before daylight into a fog bank covering most of the lake. I lit the heater and I set the fish finder/GPS to a way-point where I have caught fish before. Kind of like flying instrument only, just about half spooky, but watching the map unfold on the GPS screen split with depth readings, we put our stuff in. My friend Randy is visiting so I put him in the captain seat and he has almost the same fish finder on his boat, I knew he would not crash us into anything. On the starboard downrigger I put on a Mack's DD dodger and a Kokanee Kid Mysis bug and a drop of Anise/Krill on the lead hook and sent it down to 15 feet just to get one in the water. Now comes the fun; I had just mounted a Scotty 1085 downrigger on the port side and needed to get it set up. I bought it about 5 years ago and just never put it on. I had found a fish shaped downrigger weight in a box of stuff, and attached it. I very carefully worked the clutch handle until it started to disengage, and the weight went down very smoothly and stopped each time I engaged the brake. So I brought it back up and put the Shuttle Hawk stop up the line about a foot form the weight attached the Shuttle Hawk, hooked my line onto the release and sent it down. By now the sun had come over the mountain and the fog had almost dissipated. We were not marking any fish on the finder and moved a little closer to the west bank. There they were, not a great mass of them, but we were getting a few on the screen. My pole on the port side started to act a little strange, so I popped it off the release and sure enough....Fish on! It was a pretty good fighter and when Randy got it in the net, it was a male starting to change. I put him back and added a little stuff to the hook and sent it back down. We were marking quite a few fish at 26 to 30 feet, so we let the down riggers out a little more, port side set at 25' and starboard at 20'. Randy got into one and reeled it in it was a real nice fish, still silver and we put it on the stringer. The next one was on my side and it popped the line off of the release, this one went nutzz, jumping and going crazy. It turned out to be a nice Rainbow about 16 inches. Wooo Hooo we are havin' fun now. We brought 2 more more Kokanee to the boat and another rainbow. We had commitments in town so we called it quits and came home. Great day for 'fall' fishing and I will be going back soon, for sure.
Old 09-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Great story.
Never been there, but have heard about it from friends that used to camp close to there.
They just loved it.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
Rick on Rogue
Chromer

One of the things I proved to myself this past weekend is that trolling faster for Kokanee works. Here's how I know, I thought I charged the battery for my electric trolling motor but it was dead so I had to use the regular motor and it only idles at about 2.1 and 2.2 miles an hour and we caught fish. Lesson learned.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #9
GrowJ
Fry

Growing up, we used to fish the lake a lot but kind of gave up on it during the warmer months after they put in the campground and the pleasure boat traffic made fishing more difficult. We never trolled, just dropped a line and adjusted depth to try and find the fish. Our secret bait was a length of nightcrawler followed by a red salmon egg. We would typically pick up a few very large rainbows which made things interesting given that we used fairly light tackle (and fiberglass poles at the time). Just played the rainbows very carefully.
GrowJ is offline   Reply With Quote