The state patrol rolling slowdown. - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 08-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Mooch
Tuna!

Default The state patrol rolling slowdown.

You ever notice how many people are afraid to pass a state patrol officer on the highway?

I was rolling down I-5 this morning and came up on 4 lanes of traffic 20 cars deep. Look ahead and sure enough a state patrol officer is ahead of everyone and doing a few miles an hour under the speed limit.

He was probably laughing to himself about all the knuckleheads afraid to go past him.

I was finally able to get around the traffic and continue on down the highway. Sure enough as soon as the sheeple saw he wasn't gonna give everyone a ticket for passing him while doing 60mph,it opened the flood gates.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
BlackBass
Ifish Nate

Default Re: The state patrol rolling slowdown.

Such a rebel! Bet you had your favorite music turned up as well .
BlackBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Mooch
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBass View Post
Such a rebel! Bet you had your favorite music turned up as well .
Hardly a rebel,just have to laugh at people sometimes.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
sadiesassy
King Salmon

Common issue in Oregon - but happens else where. Have no problem passng an OSP if I am within the speed limit.
But I see more issues with people who feel entitled to drive below the spped limit in the center and fast lane between Salem and Tigard. They cause more issues than OSP.

What is interesting - we go down periodically to pick up new service cars from a place in Phoenix. We get to drive them back. So it is interesting watching people get in a line and avoid passing even if you are doing 5-10 MPH below speed limit.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
BeaverBoy
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesassy View Post
Common issue in Oregon - but happens else where. Have no problem passng an OSP if I am within the speed limit.
But I see more issues with people who feel entitled to drive below the spped limit in the center and fast lane between Salem and Tigard. They cause more issues than OSP.

What is interesting - we go down periodically to pick up new service cars from a place in Phoenix. We get to drive them back. So it is interesting watching people get in a line and avoid passing even if you are doing 5-10 MPH below speed limit.
Dont mean to be a smart a__, but where exactly is the fast lane between Salem and Tigard? Traveled that stretch of road often and never seen anything posted "fast lane"
BeaverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

OSP won't pull you over till you're going at least nine over the posted speed when on the freeway or rural roads. City and county have different protocol depending on the area. Sort of depends on who's watching.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
sadiesassy
King Salmon

I agree that "Fast Lane" may not mean fast to alot of people who have the belief that they are entitled to go any speed in any lane.
But in most states it is defined in their rules of the road as the inside lane while the outside lane is the slow lane. I think the signage reflects more that slower moving traffic to move to the right lane- if you are looking for sigange - other wise look atthe manual

I have lived in regions where people driving slow in the fast lane are ticketed for driving slow in the fast lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverBoy View Post
Dont mean to be a smart a__, but where exactly is the fast lane between Salem and Tigard? Traveled that stretch of road often and never seen anything posted "fast lane"

Last edited by sadiesassy; 08-16-2012 at 05:05 PM.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Buccaneer
Tuna!

Quote:
Yeah, but there are many signs that read: Slower Traffic Keep Right

So what exactly does this mean? It means the far left lane is for passing. In this area with three lanes, the middle lane would also be for passing the slowest traffic in the far right lane.

There are always those drivers that purposly get in the far left lane and deliberately hold-up drivers that want to go faster than the posted speed limit. Personally, I think that's a terrible attitude and could result in somebody getting hurt.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 08-16-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Correction
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Biteme
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I have seen it posted "slower traffic keep right" but apparently I am the only one that see those signs or cares to pay attention to them. Nothing worse than someone sitting in the left lane at 62 mph cause traffic to fight to get around them - you are a traffic hazard if you do this and you do cause wrecks.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
stillwater97
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesassy View Post
Yeah, no kidding.. in my experience, most of the cars camped out in the fast lane are sporting Washington plates. Not saying that all WA drivers are doing this or anyone here does it, just my observation.
stillwater97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
LeechLaker
Ifish Nate

When I was a civil servant, as a general rule with exceptions, I would not stop a car on 26 unless it was going at least 10 over. But after dark I would and that was just to see if I could find anything else. If they were clean I gave them a warning and let them go. I took a class given by the states head traffic engineer. He said most of the h-ways in Oregon are built to handle traffic safely at 80MPH. It was also proven that slower drivers cause more crashes than fast drivers. They are obstacles in the way that cause an unexpected change in the flow of traffic.

I have received a citation for driving 3MPH over in a 25 in Forest Grove and one for going 6 over in a 35, that one was in Verboort. I have been let go with a warning for going 20 over in a 55.

Cops speed all the time. What dose this say about the speed limit? I don’t know the answer to that but if 99% of drivers are exceeding the posted limit and doing it safely then perhaps the limit is just too low.

My above statements are for highway traffic only.