2019-2020 Official Winter Steelhead Pics and Discussion Thread - Page 3 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 01-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #121
Snapt
Super Moderator

Default Re: 2019-2020 Official Winter Steelhead Pics and Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Looks like the fish is still partially in the water and his hand is loosely cupped around the head, not in the gills. Or maybe you guys are looking at a different picture.

Get a life.

Congratulations on your catch and release.
There was a report on this thread. It appears to me that the quote above is correct, imo. A couple posts that were not necessary were removed. The member admits that his photo was not the best. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and leave it at that. if you have a concern about the moderation, send me a pm.

Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #122
jagosh
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinmaniac23 View Post
I found my first steelhead of the winter yesterday morning on the Washougal River.
She was a nice, native hen. Full of life and ready to go. She was executing her escape as I took this picture. I’d have gotten a better one if she would have cooperated.
The Shoug hatchery run was a Colossal disappointment in December. We’ll see what January holds.
I fish every day. I’ll post here if things pick up.
Well done! I fished it for the first time ever yesterday. Beautiful green water but nothing for me. This gives me hope.

Last edited by jagosh; 01-12-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Remove drama causing words
jagosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:35 AM   #123
Nightvisionary
Steelhead

AnglingAddictsPNW on Youtube posted an update a few hours ago catching his first hatchery steelhead of the season on the Sandy.
Nightvisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #124
alfon
Steelhead

Went out yesterday, 011620, and fished one of the many local rivers here in Northwest Oregon. The water drops fairly quick on this river and the water looked pretty good, compared to last time I was there. There was already a couple of guys fishing the hole I wanted to fish. This is public property so this part of the river gets a lot of fishing pressure.

Before I went I pumped a few dozen fresh sandshrimp in the bay, and they were down deep it was a work out. I hit the river about 12PM.

A few minutes later the two guys that were fishing left and I started fishing the hole with a 1/8 oz jig tipped with fresh sandshrimp. After the second cast or so, my bobber twitched and I was too late in my setting the hook and the fish came unbuttoned after a couple of seconds.

I then made a couple of more cast and the bobber went down and this time I set the hook and landed my first steelhead of the year, a 25 inch buck hatchery, fairly bright, probably less than 2 weeks in the river as the saltwater is only about 10 miles away or so.

After I tagged and bled the fish I made another cast or two and connected with another steelhead, this time a bright hatchery hen, 6-7 lbs with a full belly of eggs. I let her go as there is no hatchery on this river so hopefully she will spawn, make it back to the sea and come back a 10 lb fish.

I continued to fish the same hole and hooked two more steelhead that came unbuttoned. I then placed my fish in the cooler of my car. When I went to my car holding the steelhead a white suv with Oregon State "E" plate came by. He stated he was with Oregon Fish & Wildlife and asked about my fish. He wanted to know if it had a maxillary clip as well as a adipose clip. I noticed only the adipose was clipped.

He told me most of these Steelhead come from the Cedar River Hatchery and they stock 40,000 smolts a year in this river.

So, after putting the steelhead in the cooler I went upstream about 1/3 of a mile. There must have been a school of sea run Cutthroats in this hole as I caught 6, and for a while nearly every cast they cleaned my hook, tricky buggers.

No steelhead but it was fun, some of these Cutts are 15 inches + and put up a nice little fight, it nice to see them returning back to the rivers again.

I was a nice day, and I'm glad I took this day off from work...

Last edited by alfon; 01-17-2020 at 06:58 AM.
alfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:54 AM   #125
alfon
Steelhead

Here is a photo of the fish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200116_181159 (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	738007.

As soon as my wife has a chance she will post my video of this catch and the release of the hen as well on Youtube under Fontana Outdoors. We have been filming all
of our fishing adventures for several years now....

Last edited by alfon; 01-17-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #126
Greenleaf
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfon View Post
Went out yesterday, 011620, and fished one of the many local rivers here in Northwest Oregon. The water drops fairly quick on this river and the water looked pretty good, compared to last time I was there. There was already a couple of guys fishing the hole I wanted to fish. This is public property so this part of the river gets a lot of fishing pressure.

Before I went I pumped a few dozen fresh sandshrimp in the bay, and they were down deep it was a work out. I hit the river about 12PM.

A few minutes later the two guys that were fishing left and I started fishing the hole with a 1/8 oz jig tipped with fresh sandshrimp. After the second cast or so, my bobber twitched and I was too late in my setting the hook and the fish came unbuttoned after a couple of seconds.

I then made a couple of more cast and the bobber went down and this time I set the hook and landed my first steelhead of the year, a 25 inch buck hatchery, fairly bright, probably less than 2 weeks in the river as the saltwater is only about 10 miles away or so.

After I tagged and bled the fish I made another cast or two and connected with another steelhead, this time a bright hatchery hen, 6-7 lbs with a full belly of eggs. I let her go as there is no hatchery on this river so hopefully she will spawn, make it back to the sea and come back a 10 lb fish.

I continued to fish the same hole and hooked two more steelhead that came unbuttoned. I then placed my fish in the cooler of my car. When I went to my car holding the steelhead a white suv with Oregon State "E" plate came by. He stated he was with Oregon Fish & Wildlife and asked about my fish. He wanted to know if it had a maxillary clip as well as a adipose clip. I noticed only the adipose was clipped.

He told me most of these Steelhead come from the Cedar River Hatchery and they stock 40,000 smolts a year in this river.

So, after putting the steelhead in the cooler I went upstream about 1/3 of a mile. There must have been a school of sea run Cutthroats in this hole as I caught 6, and for a while nearly every cast they cleaned my hook, tricky buggers.

No steelhead but it was fun, some of these Cutts are 15 inches + and put up a nice little fight, it nice to see them returning back to the rivers again.

I was a nice day, and I'm glad I took this day off from work...
Awesome dude! Sounds like you found a pile of fish that were willing to play.

Since this is the discussion thread, did the ODFW employee explain why he thought it was a Cedar Creek fish and not from one of the other hatcheries on the North Coast? Or a mainstem Nestucca release?
Old 01-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #127
alfon
Steelhead

I told him that last month I caught a left Max. clip fish on the Trask River that
I believe are Alsea river hatchery fish.

He was telling me that most of the fish stocked in this river were from Cedar Creek hatchery as the river I was fishing has no hatchery. I believe what he meant is that only the adipose fin is clipped from that hatchery.

I'm pretty sure that even the hatchery steelhead spawn in this river system. As when fishing in March last year I caught a few hatchery hens that were spawned out and heading back to the ocean, along with some hatchery bucks as well. I released them and who knows if they survive being out in the ocean they will return a few lbs heavier and eating quality of spawned out steelhead is fair at best...