Honda Valve adjustment technician recommendations ? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 07-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Bonecrusher 0.338
Ifish Nate

Default Honda Valve adjustment technician recommendations ?

Folks, where is the best/most reasonable place to have your valves adjusted on a Honda 4 stroke outboard in the Portland Gresham area?

Thank you very much, for any information.

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #2
mrmike130s
Cutthroat

Default Re: Honda Valve adjustment technician recommendations ?

It’s very interesting. Adjustable valve tappers. I’m not a Honda driver. I didn’t know they were still use adjustable tappets. As far as I know all the automotive manufacturers use hydraulic tappets. The 225 hp motor is a Pilot V6 I think. I have a new 225, will have dig deep in the tool box and find the feeler gauge. Retired automotive tech in a domestic dealership. Haven’t adjusted tappets in 20/30 years. I did have adjust the valves on a KTM 525 a few years ago.
mrmike130s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #3
Smj
King Salmon

You don't say what motor you have? Valve adjustments aren't difficult if access to the adjustments is simple. Meaning taking out 4/6/8 bolts to remove the rocker-cover and good access to the rockers. I've done my own on my 9.9 Merc kicker. You tube would have a video maybe? Simple wrenches/screwdriver and two thickness feeler gauges. Intake will be thinner than exhaust. New gasket and some silicon sealant is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike130s View Post
It’s very interesting. Adjustable valve tappers. I’m not a Honda driver. I didn’t know they were still use adjustable tappets. As far as I know all the automotive manufacturers use hydraulic tappets. The 225 hp motor is a Pilot V6 I think. I have a new 225, will have dig deep in the tool box and find the feeler gauge. Retired automotive tech in a domestic dealership. Haven’t adjusted tappets in 20/30 years. I did have adjust the valves on a KTM 525 a few years ago.
Our Honda CR-V is due for the check/valve adjustment at 110,000 miles. I'm debating doing it myself.
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
mrmike130s
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smj View Post
You don't say what motor you have? Valve adjustments aren't difficult if access to the adjustments is simple. Meaning taking out 4/6/8 bolts to remove the rocker-cover and good access to the rockers. I've done my own on my 9.9 Merc kicker. You tube would have a video maybe? Simple wrenches/screwdriver and two thickness feeler gauges. Intake will be thinner than exhaust. New gasket and some silicon sealant is needed.

Our Honda CR-V is due for the check/valve adjustment at 110,000 miles. I'm debating doing it myself.
I just purchased a 22ft Seahawk with a Honda V6 225hp, I think 3.5 liter.
My comment had to do with my surprise that there are still auto manufacturers that still use adjustable valve lash adjusters vs hydraulic. Last time I time a adjusted valves on a domestic automotive engine was a Chrysler 225 slant 6.
mrmike130s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
LGB
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike130s View Post
Adjusting the valves is relatively easy. But also be aware on the larger Honda engines the camp belt tensioner needs to be adjusted periodically also. A bit more complicated but the average mechanic can do it.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote