motor flush earmuffs - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 07-28-2020, 04:33 AM   #1
pattcook
Steelhead

Default motor flush earmuffs

I have tried 2 style earmmuffs on my new Yamaha 150. Both the square kind, one a single flow and one the dual flow. Both leak so bad I get nothing from the pee hole until I reach down and seal the leaking water with my hands. The pee hole is not blocked. There has to be some earmuffs that work better than what i,m using. Would the round ones work better? Any one else have this problem. Very frustrating. thanks- John

pattcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 04:46 AM   #2
Hewes1
Steelhead

Default Re: motor flush earmuffs

Yup - I had the same issue first time a replaced my impeller. Thought for sure I screwed something up. Torn it apart twice and put it back together. A few searches on Ifish say F150 needs to be fulling submerged to run properly.

I use the square ones and the only thing I've done to make it work is putting a clamp on the square ends to stop the leaking water and force water pressure.
Hewes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #3
Idatuna
Steelhead

Same problem with the square one. Round one works fine.
Idatuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 07:11 AM   #4
Brokeass Boater
Chromer

I had a little bit of the same problem when I replaced my Alpha stern drive with a Bravo I drive. The Alpha has the water impeller down low in the leg like most outboard, the Bravo doesn't have a water impeller, I had to add a raw water pump driven by the engine. On the test fire up with the regular round ear muffs , I could only get a small amount of water, it didn't seem right. I bought the muff that have a small as rod in the center that holds the two in place by running the rod thru the water intake and the other half slides on that rod is locked together. It works great, I squeeze the two halves tight, I still get the normal water spray around the muffs, but I also get full water flow thru the motor. I think my old traditional muffs were cheapo brand that worked on my Alpha and small outboard,,, gregg

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/flus...RoCMHYQAvD_BwE
Brokeass Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
LGB
Tuna!

I add a wood working clamp over the top of the muffs. You can get some inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight that will so the job.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Donbro
Ifish Nate

A simpler clamp might be a large hose clamp. Slide it over the arms above the muffs, screw it down so that it stays on without falling off. Make it snug enough so that when you slide the muffs over the water slots it stays put. It works well when you flush your kicker also.

Donbro
Old 07-31-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
HuskyKMA
Ifish Nate

Same things as others have said, with my Yamaha 250 I use an Irwin quick-grip clamp to put pressure on the muffs and make them seal better. I have the square dual-feed muffs.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #8
DD877
Steelhead

I thought all Yamaha had a fresh water connection on the right hand side of the motor; unscrew it and hook up a water hose. We have it on a 200 hp, 9.9 hp and a 8 hp .
DD877 is offline   Reply With Quote