Yamaha Outboard rebuild - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 07-28-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Dead Drift
Steelhead

Default Yamaha Outboard rebuild

I am looking for advice or recommendation for a reputable shop/mechanic to do a rebuild on a 2008 Yamaha F115 outboard. Preferably in the Portland area but I'm not opposed to a drive for better service.

I haven't lived in the Portland area for about 10 years and haven't needed service on an outboard for even longer.

Thanks for any input. Please PM if you have had a bad experience with a shop that I should avoid. Businesses are having enough challenges right now I don't want to have someone publicly slammed for 1 persons bad experience.

Dead Drift

Dead Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
TSU ME
Coho

Just out of curiosity, how did the motor fail and how many hours were on it?
TSU ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
Dead Drift
Steelhead

Default Re: Yamaha Outboard rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSU ME View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did the motor fail and how many hours were on it?
The motor is a 2008 that was installed in 2010. The boat is used for a very short 1 month guide season in Alaska, less than 100 hrs on the main motor annually.

Unfortunately in 2013, I was the victim of a large regional problem in which the local fuel supplier was selling unleaded fuel that was contaminated with a diesel/oil type product. I was one of the first to purchase/use from the source (50,000 gal tank) and ended up having 2 motors "blow up" and major issues with injectors, then cylinder & ring damage in 2 additional motors. The 2 motors that were not completely destroyed ended up burning a lot of oil (1/2 qt per 5 hrs run time). I limped them along for a few seasons, replaced one in 2018 (sold "as is" and took a big $$ loss) and this motor finally gave out in 2019 and was replaced this year. Total hours is less than 1000 and motors have been well maintained.

Mechanics in my rural area of AK are not the most experienced (speaking from prior problems/delays) so I decided to ship this motor to Seattle (by barge) to be rebuilt in the PNW and either sold or send back to AK as a spare.

Dead Drift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #4
TSU ME
Coho

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Sounds like it was no fault of your own and the fuel must have been pretty contaminated with diesel to do that much damage. Is there any recourse for you holding the station/ refinery accountable?

Sorry to hear this, those motors are known to be very reliable and that’s why I was curious to know the cause of failure.
TSU ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
Arne K
Ifish Nate

Y Marina in Coos Bay has a good reputation for service. Not sure about the Portland area dealers. I just had my 100 hour service done at Newport Marine and they seem like good people but I haven't used them for major repairs.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Dead Drift
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSU ME View Post
Interesting, thanks for the reply. Sounds like it was no fault of your own and the fuel must have been pretty contaminated with diesel to do that much damage. Is there any recourse for you holding the station/ refinery accountable?

Sorry to hear this, those motors are known to be very reliable and that’s why I was curious to know the cause of failure.
There was long battle with the fuel suppliers insurance and I ended up settling for about 60% of my loss. This was based on actual expenditures. There was another outfitter that had a greater loss (# of motors) and we worked together on the fight. Even though the fuel supplier admitted fault (they actually blamed it on a faulty check valve that allowed the diesel to mix with unleaded.... I personally think they had a partial filled storage tank and didn't think it would matter if the 2 fuels got blended. Just my opinion).