Fuel Scrubbing in Portland? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 07-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
Salmon1
Chromer

Default Fuel Scrubbing in Portland?

Hi Folks,

I let my inboard jet(350 KEM) sit for over a year. It had a half tank of fuel while stored. I topped off the tank with non-ethanol premium and took it to the river to run it. It started with the touch of the key and idled great, but bogged down and wouldn’t accelerate when throttled up. I changed the fuel water separator but it didn’t help. Is there anyone in Portland that performs a fuel polishing service/tank pump out ?

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 12:44 AM   #2
flatman
King Salmon

Default Re: Fuel Scrubbing in Portland?

since you didnt put stabil in it it got you good,

it isnt so much the old gas is that the gas itself in the lines and engine turns to a varnish like. so you may get lucky and only need injectors or carbs cleaned. or may and probably best if not new already to replace all lines from the tank onward. as they will have varnished gas in them and will keep sending little pieces of it to your engine. and re mess you up,
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:04 AM   #3
namu mac
Sturgeon

Can you polish gas? I always thought when gas went bad it was done. That happened to me years ago. I had to drain the tank and fill with fresh gas. Then it was all good. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 08:05 AM   #4
Salmon1
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
since you didnt put stabil in it it got you good,

it isnt so much the old gas is that the gas itself in the lines and engine turns to a varnish like. so you may get lucky and only need injectors or carbs cleaned. or may and probably best if not new already to replace all lines from the tank onward. as they will have varnished gas in them and will keep sending little pieces of it to your engine. and re mess you up,
Actually, it did have Marine Stabil in the tank, but I should have topped off the tank for storage for sure. I could probably benefit from changing the lines , even if NOT varnished up, as they are original to when I had the boat built in 2005.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
namu mac
Sturgeon

Did you pump some fuel into a jar and see if it is contaminated with water?
Old 07-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
Salmon1
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by namu mac View Post
Did you pump some fuel into a jar and see if it is contaminated with water?
I emptied the contents of the fuel water separator that I removed into a mason jar and while there is some sediment in there I don't actually see the telltale beads/puddle of water at all. The fuel appears pale, not all yellow, but smells a bit stale.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #7
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Maybe a chance it's something else like a bad accelerator pump in the carb or timing not advancing, both will give that symptom.

If you treated the gas and then added fresh it usually is fine. Take a portable tank with a couple gallons of fresh gas and run the engine and see if it accelerates fine and you'll have your answer. Just unhook the fuel line from the boats tank at the water separator and plug the tanks line with a bolt and clamp, then clamp on the portable tanks line to the separator.

Sometimes running a high mixture of seafoam in a portable tank for a short while will help clean out gunk from jets or injectors to help out. Just some t/s ideas for you.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
Salmon1
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Maybe a chance it's something else like a bad accelerator pump in the carb or timing not advancing, both will give that symptom.

If you treated the gas and then added fresh it usually is fine. Take a portable tank with a couple gallons of fresh gas and run the engine and see if it accelerates fine and you'll have your answer. Just unhook the fuel line from the boats tank at the water separator and plug the tanks line with a bolt and clamp, then clamp on the portable tanks line to the separator.

Sometimes running a high mixture of seafoam in a portable tank for a short while will help clean out gunk from jets or injectors to help out. Just some t/s ideas for you.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
That's good feedback, thanks! I'll do just that.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #9
flatman
King Salmon

yes if you had a good dose of stabil and it was just a year then look for other things first.
hoses should be changed anyway every 5 years at least and maybe 3 if boat is outside. and certainly if possible any bad gas evaporated in the lines or motor. or you will just get more sent into the system.

water is a possibility as well as just a piece of something in the jets. try the sea foam as said with a portable tank. if it runs fine then you at least know that its in back of the motor that is the trouble.
good luck having issues that can be a number of things is always tough.

try in the future to run it a few times each winter or when you have to leave it for awhile. this gets the gas in the lines replaced before they evaporate.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
namu mac
Sturgeon

If it doesn’t smell like gas then it’s probably stale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk