Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Fish & Game Management

Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Fish'nDude
Chromer

Default Oregon Court of Appeals affirms Columbia River gillnet rules

For immediate release - March 18, 2015

Northwest scores huge win in effort to remove gillnets from Columbia River
Oregon Court of Appeals affirms Columbia River gillnet rules adopted by ODFW

In a landmark ruling today, the Oregon Court of Appeals cleared the way for the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) to continue implementing a bi-state plan to remove non-tribal gillnets from the mainstem of the Columbia River, providing decisive step forward in a long-running battle waged by conservationists to ban the destructive commercial fishing gear.

The Court dismissed outright all but one of the many challenges brought by gillnetters against the rules and ultimately found that none of the arguments were compelling enough to overturn the state agency's decision to implement a phased-in removal of the nets. CCA Oregon, which has been fully engaged in the current gillnet ban effort since inception and was the only outside group to formally enter as a party to the lawsuit, was instrumental in achieving today's ruling. CCA Oregon Chairman Dave Schamp hailed the Court's decision.

"This is a tremendous win for Oregonians, anglers and, most importantly the fish we cherish," said Dave Schamp, CCA Oregon Chairman of the Board. "It has been a long, expensive endeavor but one that CCA was committed to every step of the way. I could not be more proud of the way our members have stepped up, from raising funds to defend against the lawsuits to providing testimony in Salem and everything in between. As expected, we finally prevailed and now we look forward to navigating the transition period to remove those non-tribal nets."

In 2012-2013, both the Washington and Oregon Fish and Wildlife commissions adopted a plan proposed by then-Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber that prioritizes recreational fisheries in the mainstem of the Columbia River and eliminates the use of non-tribal gillnets in the lower Columbia's mainstem after a transition period ends in 2017. The Governor's plan was offered in the wake of CCA's successful efforts to put a gill net ban initiative on the Oregon ballot. However, unlike the ballot initiative, the bi-state reform plan resulted in both states adopting a plan that eliminates the use of non-selective gill nets. The plan has also provided increased recreational fishing opportunity on the Columbia River, which will continue to increase as the plan is fully implemented.

Commercial gillnet interests have repeatedly sought to overturn the policy, but have been denied every time. Last month, the Washington Court of Appeals dismissed a similar lawsuit from commercial gillnet interests challenging the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's adoption of the same plan. CCA also formally intervened as a party to that lawsuit.

"When the gillnetters and processors sued to stop these reforms, we were there to oppose them in court and we will have to be prepared to do that again in the future," said Bruce Polley, CCA Oregon Vice President. "Today is a good time for CCA members to reflect on everything that was done to build an organization capable of engaging meaningfully in every level of the administrative, legislative and legal systems to see this through to the end. Tomorrow, we get back to work making sure that the plan is properly implemented and tackling the other threats to the health of our fisheries."

About CCA
CCA is a non-profit organization comprised of 200 chapters in coastal states spanning the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic and Pacific coasts. In 2007, CCA expanded into the Pacific Northwest and the organization quickly grew to more than 9,000 members and continues to launch new chapters in both Oregon and Washington. As the largest marine conservation organization in the country, CCA's strength is drawn from its 120,000 members. For more information, please visit www.CCAOregon.org.

"This aggression will not stand, man." Jeffery Labowski
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
Joe Schwab
King Salmon

Default Re: Oregon Court of Appeals affirms Columbia River gillnet rules

Great job CCA! Wish I was there to help celebrate.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
jzell
Ifish Nate

Agreed Joe !!

A win, but certainly not the end of the battle.

jz

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."

Life Member of CCA - Oregon - Portland Metro Chapter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
jmike
Steelhead

Great job CCA, Looks like it was a good investment of my $25.00.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
pearl
King Salmon

Quote:
"When the gillnetters and processors sued to stop these reforms, we were there to oppose them in court and we will have to be prepared to do that again in the future," said Bruce Polley, CCA Oregon Vice President. "Today is a good time for CCA members to reflect on everything that was done to build an organization capable of engaging meaningfully in every level of the administrative, legislative and legal systems to see this through to the end. Tomorrow, we get back to work making sure that the plan is properly implemented and tackling the other threats to the health of our fisheries."
For those that have been engaged in the gill net battle in recent decades this is one victory that will be looked upon in the future and be noted as another key pivotal turning point in what's best for the resource and for the sportfishing interest.
I'm thankful that CCA membership and board of directors made a hard decision to invest monetarily and with very good legal council to fight this appeal brought on by the gill net interest.
These are the reasons why I support the organization.
Tonight I smile. Tomorrow keep moving forward instituting needed change.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #6
Wreckless
King Salmon

[QUOTE=pearl;9732098 These are the reasons why I support the organization.
Tonight I smile. Tomorrow keep moving forward instituting needed change.[/QUOTE]

SO TRUE!!! This hill has been taken, there will be more. It's good to be a CCA member!!!

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Old 03-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #7
Thumper
King Salmon

You folks made it happen. You should be proud of what has been accomplished.

150 years to screw up the Columbia. Only 7 years to start fixing it.

Emphasis on start....

Tillamook Anglers!!! Good people doing great things!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
Fish'nDude
Chromer

For those interested in full text of the Courts decision:http://www.publications.ojd.state.or...cs/A153317.pdf

"This aggression will not stand, man." Jeffery Labowski
Old 03-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #9
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Wink Re: Oregon Court of Appeals affirms Columbia River gillnet rules

Gillnet does not equal commercial harvest.

Gillnets have been illegal in
Oregons oceans for decades yet a thriving sustainable commercial and sport fishery exists there.

Many Columbia fish stocks are exploited at 50% in the ocean. Then tribal fish go to the commercial market. And you pretend gillnets are the only commercial source of salmon.

CCA and other sport groups are defending, modernizing and funding hatcheries. Where have you been?

CCA and other sport groups are addressing predation issues. Where have you been?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #10
Jhawk
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
Gillnet does not equal commercial harvest.

Gillnets have been illegal in
Oregons oceans for decades yet a thriving sustainable commercial and sport fishery exists there.

Many Columbia fish stocks are exploited at 50% in the ocean. Then tribal fish go to the commercial market. And you pretend gillnets are the only commercial source of salmon.

CCA and other sport groups are defending, modernizing and funding hatcheries. Where have you been?

CCA and other sport groups are addressing predation issues. Where have you been?
Have you ever seen a ocean purse seine in action? You think a beach seine squeezing all the fish and dragging them through sand is going to be less harmful?
All cca does is raise money for some backpatting banquets and litigation.
cca is defending hatcheries? Why not address habitat loss that was the precurser to hatcheries being needed?
How are you "modernizing" hatcheries? No seriously, I'm eager to hear it.
Where does cca fund a hatchery? Which one? cca and other sport groups won't be taken seriously on predation. Your hobby isn't going to get any concern from the city folks if our industry hasn't already so good luck with that.
You know where I've been? From Bachelor point to Warrior rock, over and over and over. Haven't seen you out there. Where you been?
Old 03-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhawk View Post
Where you been?
This week? In Salem a lot. Making sure hatcheries get funded through Odfw and new legislation

And working to fund predation management.

I haven't seen you there???

Like where CCA volunteers are serving on the board of the Oregon Hatchery research center.

CCA WA passed big funding bills to increase and build new hatcheries.

CCA OR is getting ready to release spring chinook smolts on a project funded in large part by CCA in a Wiamette tributary.

I've been lucky enough to get out on the river and catch a few springers. The grey chins like we caught today are sure better than the white chins we caught last week.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Some of the gillnetters at the NO Falcon meeting asked CCA volunteers what we were doing about sea lions. They seemed astonished to hear of the federal legislation we have gotten started on modifying the Marine Mammal Protection Act

We welcome their support
Old 03-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #13
Jhawk
Steelhead

Quote:
Some of the gillnetters at the NO Falcon meeting asked CCA volunteers what we were doing about sea lions. They seemed astonished to hear of the federal legislation we have gotten started on modifying the Marine Mammal Protection Act

We welcome their support
Thats funny, when we discussed sealions/seals at NOF I heard nothing but crickets from the other end of the table. I was there.
As for a little burden of proof,
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00570/wdfw00570.pdf
Where's yours grb?
Astonished, once again hilarious. When you get backed into a corner you can't bring anything to support your claims.
What legislation was that you have "gotten started" working on modifying? Call me when you finish that. I'm sure hobbyists will have more sway than the industry they seek to end when it comes to changing the MMPA.
I mispoke by saying general fund, I did mean wildlife.

Last edited by Jhawk; 03-20-2015 at 10:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-21-2015, 05:29 AM   #14
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

http://herrerabeutler.house.gov/news...umentID=398503

You missed the press release on this federal bill?

With quotes from CCA?

CCA did an action alert to members that generated nearly 3,000 letters to legislators on this last month.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
Jhawk
Steelhead

Quote:
http://herrerabeutler.house.gov/news...umentID=398503

You missed the press release on this federal bill?

With quotes from CCA?

CCA did an action alert to members that generated nearly 3,000 letters to legislators on this last month.
Doesn't everybody keep up on press releases?<- Sarcasm
It wasn't a quote so much as a notation of support, commence backpatting.
The quote was from Gary.
This reminds me of how the wildlife records of SFA leadership are brought up to slander any kind pro-gillnet position.
Has anyone ever gone through the ranks of ccas leadership to see what kind of integrity they have?
Old 03-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #16
plugcutter41
Tuna!

Quote:
Doesn't everybody keep up on press releases?<- Sarcasm
It wasn't a quote so much as a notation of support, commence backpatting.
The quote was from Gary.
This reminds me of how the wildlife records of SFA leadership are brought up to slander any kind pro-gillnet position.
Has anyone ever gone through the ranks of ccas leadership to see what kind of integrity they have?
I don't keep up. What kind of integrity do they have?
Old 03-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #17
Jhawk
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by plugcutter41 View Post
I don't keep up. What kind of integrity do they have?
PM sent.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

When you are down to maligning personal integrity you really have run out of anything worth reading.

Myself and other CCA volunteers are well known. If there was integrity issues I'm sure you and the other gillnetters would have found something by now

What's your name?

Shall we discuss the public criminal records of SFA members?

Heukers
Duncan
Wells?

Last edited by Gun Rod Bow; 03-21-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
Jhawk
Steelhead

Quote:
When you are down to maligning personal integrity you really have run out of anything worth reading.
I agree wholeheartedly, that's an issue I have brought up to you before.
Myself and other CCA volunteers are well known. If there was integrity issues I'm sure you and the other gillnetters would have found something by now
Perhaps we're to busy defending ourselves to be malicious.
What's your name?
Joel Natterstad.

Heukers
Duncan
Wells?
Would you like me to make a short list or a long list of sportfishermen who have recently been charged with wildlife violations? It wouldn't matter anyways, it wouldn't really reflect the attitude of the rest who shouldn't be catagorized by a few. I wish gillnetters could be treated like that.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Quote:
Would you like to retract your statement?
Old 03-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #21
chummer
Sturgeon

Quote:
Thats funny, when we discussed sealions/seals at NOF I heard nothing but crickets from the other end of the table. I was there.
As for a little burden of proof,
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00570/wdfw00570.pdf
Where's yours grb?
Astonished, once again hilarious. When you get backed into a corner you can't bring anything to support your claims.
What legislation was that you have "gotten started" working on modifying? Call me when you finish that. I'm sure hobbyists will have more sway than the industry they seek to end when it comes to changing the MMPA.
I mispoke by saying general fund, I did mean wildlife.
I guess I'll jump in here for a moment because I was also there to see and hear what was said. Initially I was encouraged to see that sport and Gillnetters had something in common with our disgust with the Sea lion situation, but that was quickly quenched listening to the "Testimony" from a few of the members of the gill netting faction as they bemoaned the sea Lions with the well publicized photos of the sealions loafing on Desdemona sands and then throwing the images towards the CCA membership chastising them (us) for not doing anything about the situation which was quickly followed with questions as to "Why can't we just shoot these things?" to everyone in the room. If I'm CCA leadership, I would not be responding to these kinds of out bursts either, I'm not about to lower myself or my groups mentality to this level. I'm sure the the CCA leaders were asking themselves: "Are these guys for real?" Call it crickets if it makes you feel better about yourselves, but in reality, you really made fools of yourselves to everyone present, because we all know the problem lies in an outdated federal law that will take time to be changed. In the meantime, It's apparent CCA has been busy trying make meaningful changes with the assistance of representatives and a Bill trying improve this situation. I don't know if I should be trying to "Help" the opposition, because you really help us every time the public witnesses what went on here, but really think before you speak and act!
Old 03-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #22
jzell
Ifish Nate

"After a day or so it dawned on me that it's not my style to antagonize anyone anymore."

JHawk - 02-05-2015 9:06pm - Reply #80 - Commercial Fishermen unhappy with Columbia River Reforms

What happened since you wrote this?

jz

Old 03-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #23
Jhawk
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzell View Post
"After a day or so it dawned on me that it's not my style to antagonize anyone anymore."

JHawk - 02-05-2015 9:06pm - Reply #80 - Commercial Fishermen unhappy with Columbia River Reforms

I'm sorry you feel antagonized by my point of view.
Why would I want to retract my statement of asking whether or not ccas leaders ethics are questioned like SFAs members are? Are you offended by fair play? SFA is constantly demeaned in this fashion. All I asked was if ccas leadership has ever been scrutinized on their fish and game records.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #24
jzell
Ifish Nate

I don't feel antagonized at all. Just looked up what you had posted in the past.....that's all.

The leadership of CCA Oregon or Washington doesn't have any wildlife violations that I know of. If one wanted to research that I think there would be an avenue to do so. Don't know that that would change things much as far of the current state of the Columbia River Reforms is concerned.

Bottom line is that the reforms are moving forward and the result of the Oregon suit allows them to do so.

Have a great weekend Joel,

jz