Lean times coming... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Fish & Game Management

Old 03-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
gorgebankmaggot
Ifish Nate

Default Lean times coming...

Most people are pretty well aware of the cyclical nature of salmon populations but have either forgotten the leaner times or are too young to remember. I'm just old enough as a 43 y/o who started salmon and steelhead fishing in the mid 90s. Most of the things we bicker about now...allocations, impact estimates, etc take a back seat to this (though those topics actually gain relevance at low population levels):

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-bl...l-researchers/

We're about due for a down cycle. Enjoy the fishing we have, while we have it! I often shake my head and laugh at the arguing that goes on now, since we've had very good runs since long before I joined this site. I bet it will get pretty rough here with a return to meager Columbia river runs.

The worst part is wondering what all the pinnipeds and terns will eat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #2
duke1122
Tuna!

Default Re: Lean times coming...

The problem the way I see it is... humans get around 3%-4% of the Columbia run in the monster years. The furbags get 40-50%. It is an insult. Does anyone really think hooking and releasing tens of thousands of summer fish protects the run. The fish managers and enviros want to remind us each year that they and only they hold all the cards, and either play by their insane rules, or" we WILL shut you down", and the hell with common sense. Rant over.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
roosevelt
King Salmon

Yeah, I have fished through a couple cycles even in my time. It will once again be doom and gloom, but look forward to steelhead fishing in those low salmon years, it seems when Chinook fishing is tough, steelhead season is easy.

I look forward to hear all of the theories of blame when the down cycle happens. Pretty much everything in nature works this way, but is only remembered as far as yesterday...like this year is how healthy the salmon run is.

The worst Chinook fishing I have seen was 4 years after the best, and the best was 4 years after a really bad early flood. The ocean seems to dictate population more than any other aspect of a salmon's life.
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
uplandsandpiper
Ifish Nate

I guess I'll have to keep myself busy chasing albacore tuna, lingcod, rockfish, steelhead, Black-tail Deer, walleye, flounder, halibut, catfish, elk, trout, kokanee, Mule Deer, chanterelles, muskie, turkey, perch, bear....and beer.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:08 AM   #5
gorgebankmaggot
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandsandpiper View Post
I guess I'll have to keep myself busy chasing albacore tuna, lingcod, rockfish, steelhead, Black-tail Deer, walleye, flounder, halibut, catfish, elk, trout, kokanee, Mule Deer, chanterelles, muskie, turkey, perch, bear....and beer.
You mean you haven't seen the research about dwindling salmon runs being a precursor to a beer shortage?

I haven't seen it either, but I'm going to take up the challenge and find it. Then I'm going to watch you panic and laugh...