Rod build - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 11-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
hoghauler
Chromer

Default Rod build

I am wanting a new rod built from a Rainshadow blank. If any of you rod builders are interested in doing this, please contact me here or via a PM. I am looking for a deckhand rod about 8 feet.
hoghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
Finsalong
Tuna!

Default Re: Rod build

Why Rainshadow? There are many other better blanks to build on such as North Fork Composites, Lamiglas, G Loomis.

I would venture to speculate that if it is a boat road, then it does not matter much. Now a drift rod, custom made, colors, Fuji Torzite guides, super light and sensitive that is the best you can get.

Money gets in the way of things.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:54 AM   #3
CRD4Liberty
Tuna!

Rainshadow makes every bit as nice a stick as the others mentioned.
Hog hauler: you don't describe your needs near enough, buy one of the fine commercial sticks out there till you have a feel for what you need, a deckhand rod is pretty specific, it needs to be built in a way that takes longer to build, it needs to out cast everything else on the boat, it needs to be light.

Last edited by CRD4Liberty; 12-19-2019 at 10:57 AM.
CRD4Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
Green Giant
Chromer

Go with the Rainshadow. Great rod blanks.
And you won't need to wait 6+ months to get a NFC blank.
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:08 AM   #5
hoghauler
Chromer

First of all, thanks to those who sent a PM. I appreciate the offers from Pearl and others to build a rod for me. I have built a couple rods many moons ago but I am not a rod builder. It would be way more cost efficient to have a rod built by a REAL rod builder like Pearl but I am going to build it myself and it will give me something to do during these wet cold winter days. I watched my cousin fish a Rainshadow deckhand rod on the new-loann this fall and it was perfect in my opinion for fish 20-75lbs. I have ordered supplies and made a manual wrapper so wish me luck and thanks to all for your advice.
hoghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #6
Chad D.
Chromer

Wish I had the patience for that! I bet it’ll be really rewarding to make it yourself!

Don’t tell anyone where the flaws are after you’re done. Nobody will notice them but you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #7
pearl
King Salmon

Hoghauler - good luck on your build. Once you build one it seems like there are another fifteen to follow. Gets kind of addicting.
If you hit a snag or need any last minute supplies feel free to reach out. Rod builders are a pretty good fraternity and 99% are willing to provide a helping hand when needed.

Post some pics when you get it finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
Cali stlhdr
Steelhead

Rod building is so much fun!! It is to me anyway. Good luck with your build. Batson makes great blanks. My advice is to take your time. Carol at Utmost Enterprises can advise you what components to put on that Rainshadow.
Cali stlhdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #9
CRD4Liberty
Tuna!

There isn't any reel seats, or standard grips on a deckhand rod, they usually have guides one size lighter in frame and the smallest guide ring they can get away with because of this they are not as durable being transported in the racks on a party boat where rods take a beating, If your worried about this, I have a heavy power, all graphite rod I use for oversize sturgeon and fishing Florida and Mexico, over 30 years old, built by me for fishing the wrecks, etc. on the same guides used on bass, salmon, and steelhead rods of the day. Guides are over-engineered for the job of fishing, it's the beating they must survive getting to the fishing spot, being hung up with other rods, being stepped on, etc. that demands a heavier framed, larger guides. This makes for a lighter, snappier, faster reacting and sensitive rod. Just remember to get one of the deckhead style reel clamps if you don't use a reel seat like a true deckhand rod.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:49 PM   #10
luckyr
Tuna!

You are really going to need something (electric motor)to rotate your rod when you apply the epoxy. You could have a professional apply the epoxy.
luckyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:57 PM   #11
CRD4Liberty
Tuna!

You can apply epoxy finish by hand, I did it for over 20 years. Having a motor to turn the rod while the epoxy dries is nice, but not necessary either.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
Green Giant
Chromer

Having a motor is really nice to get the finish smooth. The other key to get a good finish with epoxy is temperature. Keep the work warm, 60-70 degrees.
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #13
Cali stlhdr
Steelhead

Epoxy is self leveling and smooth. A motor will not affect the finish. It is merely a convenience. There is a wealth of information on this. I suggest reading up on things before you embark. I have learned less is better. Take your time,and make sure each step is perfect or at least to your standards before proceeding on to the next step. i built a steelhead rod not long ago that is the best rod I have ever fished.
Cali stlhdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #14
Thucker
Chromer

Oh dear god... if anybody has to go through the torture of applying epoxy and turning the rod by hand, contact me. I have multiple dryers and will loan you one.
Thucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #15
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucker View Post
Oh dear god... if anybody has to go through the torture of applying epoxy and turning the rod by hand, contact me. I have multiple dryers and will loan you one.

Did it on my first build, wasn't that bad. Had wife keep supplying me with barley pops.