IFish Fishing Forum banner

Fly tying thread

554K views 5K replies 173 participants last post by  plugs 
#1 ·
IS there anyway we can get a sticky fly tying thread/fly's thread where we can ask questions about flys and tying and share different flys?

#2,278 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm brand new to tying and I have a basic question.
I've been tying X-Caddis in various forms and am having intermittent trouble with the wings spinning around the shank....am I right that I'm just not tightening it down enough with the initial wraps?
I feel like I'm right on the edge of snapping the thread when I tighten down as hard as I 'want' to (I have snapped it a few times).
Is my thread too thin (Uni thread 6wt) or is this just a nuance thing that I need to keep practicing?
Thanks for any advice.

#2,279 ·
I don't know if you can see it in this picture but I get the hair wet and it's a more of a pinch the hell out of it when you make those 1st 3 or 4 wraps. There's less flair and rolling if you have the hair full lenght when you first tie it on as well and keep that wing pinched the whole time till you cut the head end to length and take a few turns back through it making your way to the eye.

#2,285 ·
I stack the hair, hold in my right hand and dip what will be the wing (stacked ends) in a lid full of warm water. Trade hands and begin adding the wing
I don't let go till I've had at least 5 or 6 good turns on 1st Then put a 3 turn whip finish on and not cut the thread yet. It helps to use the big size whip finisher and it takes a bit of practice to do a whip finish with you pinching a wing with one hand and have a bobbin hanging. Then cut the head then take thumb nail and hold the head up while wiggling the thread through the hair to the eye of the hook. Wrap a nice head, whip finish there and cement head.