Duck soup - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
joe_camo
King Salmon

Default Duck soup

Just got done eating my 1st duck soup of the season.

I brown all the legs, thighs, wings necks, backs, hearts and breast bones from a limit of Mallards, Gadwall and Wigeon in olive oil.

I dis guard the pelvis as any kidney imparts an off flavor.

Then all the browned meat is put into a crock pot full of salted water with some carrots, onion and celery to make stock. Heat on low for 12 hours.

Drain all the meat and vegis out. Put the stock back into the crockpot and add soup vegis. This year I am putting roasted green chilis in the soup and it gives it a lot of added zest. Carrots, celery and onions along with the roasted chilis.

I then pick all the meat off the bones and put in the meat for the last hour of the 12 hours crock pot soak. My chickens really like to pick through the bones and vegis used to make the stock.

Sauteed chantrelles are a nice touch to add just before eating.

I made 10 quarts of this and only got to eat one bowl it went so fast, the roasted chilis are a real good addition.

What do you guys do with all your duck legs, wings, thighs, necks, hearts and backs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Re: Duck soup

I’ve done that with tough geese. A day and a half in the crockpot to get the meat to fall off the bones but worth the wait. Suppose a pressure cooker would be quicker. Tastes almost like good beef soup. Yum.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
Antonio Zoli
Steelhead

Saturday I bagged a mallard drake, a pintail hen, and a shoveler hen.

From there it was gumbo time on Sunday:

Plucked the mallard and the pintail, breasted the shoveler.

Slow cooked the whole birds and breast meat in water, salt, fresh oregano, onion, celery, and green bell pepper (veggies chopped enough to fit in the pot).

Pulled the birds from the pot, hand picked and shredded the meat, discarded carcasses and veggies, saved the stock .

Made a roux with butter and flour, added in chopped red and green bell pepper, onion, celery, oregano, can of chopped tomatoes, frozen okra, worcestershire, and pickapeppa sauce. Added three links of sliced chorizo (Olympia Provisions), duck stock and boxed chicken stock, and all the duck meat. (60/40 ratio of duck to chicken stock - keep it from getting too gamey.)

Simmer for an hour or so, store in the fridge at least 24 hours for flavor to really set in. Froze a bunch of the gumbo. Heat gumbo on the stove, add some frozen corn, salt, pickapeppa, and sriracha to taste, serve over brown rice (frozen from Trade Joes is super easy).

Great gumbo.

(Forgot to save the hearts - next time will save and eat, fried with garlic, salt, and olive oil.)

Last edited by Antonio Zoli; 10-31-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Antonio Zoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
lilnorthfork
Sturgeon

Your soup and Antonio's gumbo both sound great. New to duck hunting and want to get in habit of using all. Been saving livers for pate and legs for something... now I have 2 good ideas. Doing a slow cooked bean pot with duck this weekend. Also, been rendering fat from the skin... great for cooking potatoes. Smoked a couple whole ducks then rendered fat from those... good stuff.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
joe_camo
King Salmon

Just got done picking the leg, thigh, back, wing and neck meat off my last last limit of ducks for my next soup. I really like using the crock pot to cook up these portions of birds, you can really recover a lot of meat.

I really like to recover the scapular meat - that is a tasty little strip.

Then there is the meat that is left on the breast plate and collar bone that can be recovered as well.

Try as I might, I can never seem to get the rib meat without having ribs included. Does anyone here have experience recovering the rib meat from your birds?
Old 11-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
tonedef89
Coho

Hearts for soup? No way, like AZ said simple pan fry with salt and pepper. Appetizers. Everything else sounds fantastic.
tonedef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
joe_camo
King Salmon

I have been making this soup nearly constantly all of November cooking all my ducks fresh - I kind of lost track but I think I just completed the 6th batch.

My fifth batch got fed to 8 people who have never eaten duck previously and they all loved it. This is a great way to use the underutilized parts of ducks that everyone can enjoy.

In the case of my 6th batch I added all the meat from a rice breast mallard I shot last Thursday. Typically I do not eat ducks with rice breast but hate to let the bird go to waste. So, this time I added that bird, breast and all, to the crock pot mix for soup and it turned out fantastic.

Currently I am out of fresh duck and have one limit frozen for later use. Tomorrow I will go out and see about getting another limit but the weather is going to be super blue bird conditions. The tide is in the morning so hopefully they will fly well at first light through the high tide.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
SuperxJeff
Steelhead

You ate the worms of a duck with rice breast. You are the most dedicated eater of ducks I have ever known.
SuperxJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
Wingman Or.
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperxJeff View Post
You ate the worms of a duck with rice breast. You are the most dedicated eater of ducks I have ever known.
Seeing is believing. Would have loved to see pics of that soup.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
The "rice" are fatty cysts around the parasitic protozoan, they are unappetizing looking but if fully cooked there is not an issue. Hunters who pluck ducks eat rice birds without ever knowing.

I have never eaten rice duck before because I always cook he breast rare and that does not kill the protozoan. But, crock pot for 12 hours and the meat is fine. Now I don't have to waste rice birds any longer - live and learn.

It tasted great and will finish it off tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:28 PM   #11
Headhunter
Sturgeon

Took a mixed bag limit of ducks, a few mallards, a nice spring, couple of Gadwall and teal and had a few excellent meals.

Seared duck breast and serve over wild rice one night.

Fajitas on homemade tortillas the next.

Boiled carcass for soup stock mmmmm.

Made a pate out of the tongues.

Made wonderful “duck feet” dim sum style.

Put the eyeballs on curly-cue tooth picks for appetizers.

Steeped the feathers for a soothing tea.

Dried and ground up the bills, then snorted it. it’s an aphrodisiac you know!!!!

Waste not, want not.

Washed it all down with a Dos Equis XX beer. Eat well my friends.

Last edited by Headhunter; 11-21-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #12
uhmw
King Salmon

Wow that sounds great. Im am so not suited for duck hunting. Beyond the 3 am wake up and sitting in a puddle. Every thing I cook duck, duck goose comes out wrong. So much so that I don't hunt for them. The whole post brings me back to the dry heaves at the table I couldn't hide from my family after telling them how good it was going to be to eat daffy

Last edited by uhmw; 11-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

OTT...I'm now sanding down ball bearings to make my own steel shot.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #14
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman Or. View Post
Seeing is believing. Would have loved to see pics of that soup.
The soup came out looking no different than birds without rice breast.

The thing is I really hate wasting anything I kill and each time I shoot a bird with rice breast I say "if I had known it had rice I would not have shot it". The breast is a savored meat I treat like backstrap and the wings, thighs, legs necks and backs get made into soup. So, I always considered the breast of a rice duck not applicable to safe consumption due to the rare nature of the breast meat I prepare.

But, as I was cleaning this rice mallard the thought dawned on me that I could crock pot the usual part that I crock pot; necks, wings, thighs, legs and backs and be just fine. So, I filleted the breast meat off the breast plate initially intending to dis guard it. However, upon browning the wing meat (which also had rice) I discovered that the fatty cysts dissolved and the protozoan was nowhere to be found. BINGO! There is a solution to the rice issue, cook the meat fully. So, I browned the rice breasts and the cysts dissolved with no sign of the parasite.

As I said previously, the soup looked and tasted identical to any soup without "rice" ducks included. For those water fowlers concerned with utilizing more of their harvested waterfowl (rice or not) this is the soup for you.

From now on I do not have to waste the 2-3 birds a year I shoot with "rice".
Old 12-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #15
joe_camo
King Salmon

Soup is on the menu again this week.

Getting ready to brown the mallard/pintail wings, legs, thighs, backs, necks and breast plates from fridays limit. One greenhead had a mild case of rice but the soup is the perfect application for that bird.

We had some extended family over for dinner for thanksgiving weekend and two of them had never eaten duck previously. We made a huge batch of broccoli duck and it was a big hit - all went back for seconds. One person even said "this makes rice taste good! And I hate rice!" (white rice, not rice duck).

A person I fed duck to for the 1st time recently has made a request for more and even shown an interest in starting hunting.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:43 AM   #16
baltz526
King Salmon

I pluck the majority of my waterfowl, (except Divers, they get completely de-fatted,stir fried) I then Bake them in a roasting pan 7 Ducks or 1 Canada. 2 hours at 350deg then I shut off oven and let birds sit in oven un opened for 1 hour. Then I pull the roasting pan out and set it on stove to cool. Once the birds are cool enough to to debone. I remove all meat. I then divide it all up into 1 quart zip lock bags. These get frozen for future use. Specs and Snow geese are basically unpluckable, So these get breasted and delegged. Legs get deboned and equally split between breasts. Then frozen uncooked. Over the course of the year. All get eaten with rice and veggies. Or turned into nuggets and fried for dipping sauce.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #17
Puffin
Sturgeon

Quote:
No need to add rice to the soup and I guess in the future you’ll be able to be eating more because the tapeworms will get most of what you’re eating awesome deal
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:57 PM   #18
Supertrucker
Chromer

Just do like my Dad does and trade the ducks to a Chinese food restaurants for free food and drinks.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #19
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Here's some information on Rice Breast:

I have read in several publications and various websites that it is safe to eat ducks or geese with Rice Breast, but since Rice Breast is caused by a parasite I personally will not eat these ducks or geese.

I have discussed this with 3 different doctors, my own and two doctors that I hunt with from time to time that have advised against eating it as well. If you do decide to eat these ducks make sure that you cook them to a minimum of 160 degrees. Also do not feed these to your pets (dogs, cats, etc) as this parasite CAN affect them.

By the letter of the law I am sure that I could be cited for waste if I were to just throw them away, but according to an interview with Mark Vargas with ODFW, if you turn the duck or goose over to an ODFW employee it is not waste and the hunter faces no legal repercussions as a result.
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #20
Mossyhorn
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post

I have read in several publications and various websites that it is safe to eat ducks or geese with Rice Breast, but since Rice Breast is caused by a parasite I personally will not eat these ducks or geese.

I have discussed this with 3 different doctors, my own and two doctors that I hunt with from time to time that have advised against eating it as well. If you do decide to eat these ducks make sure that you cook them to a minimum of 160 degrees. Also do not feed these to your pets (dogs, cats, etc) as this parasite CAN affect them.

By the letter of the law I am sure that I could be cited for waste if I were to just throw them away, but according to an interview with Mark Vargas with ODFW, if you turn the duck or goose over to an ODFW employee it is not waste and the hunter faces no legal repercussions as a result.
If you salvage the bird and transport it to your home, you’ve fulfilled your duty to salvage. Once there, you can do with it whatever you want. No law says you have to eat it.
Mossyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #21
Wreckless
King Salmon

It is against the law to waste edible portions of a game bird. The way I read the regs. You are breaking the law if you render it unfit for human consumption. I guess if you butcher the birds, then put them in the freezer until they are so freezer burned that they are unfit to eat, you are within the law, but jeez what a waste. You can legally breast out a bird and store the meat until you can make sausage or better yet have Otto's make sausage that is BEYOND delicious!

As far as eating "rice breast" birds. I hate wasting meat almost as much as the next guy, but the raccoons get any meat filled with cysts/worms/parasites/protozoan. That ain't "edible meat" in my book. Maybe I shouldn't even be feeding it to them. It may be harmful to 'em.

BTW - The soup sounds great, sans the maggots.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:41 PM   #22
baltz526
King Salmon

The federal Duck limit in possession for Oregon this year is 3 limits. 21 ducks. Some hunters follow this federal possession limit. I do, My family always did. On a good year I will eat a couple limits during season then finish with 3 limits of plucked ducks in the freezer. If it is a great season, I can and have filled out the transfer document to give my wife 21 ducks. To be honest I just do not eat that many ducks in a year. The last year I did transfer 3 limits. We still had 2 limits in freezer when the next season started. For that reason I stick to how many ducks I will eat. Unless we get a big warm wind, I doubt I get 21 birds in the freezer this year.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:07 PM   #23
Mossyhorn
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckless View Post
It is against the law to waste edible portions of a game bird. The way I read the regs. You are breaking the law if you render it unfit for human consumption. I guess if you butcher the birds, then put them in the freezer until they are so freezer burned that they are unfit to eat, you are within the law, but jeez what a waste. You can legally breast out a bird and store the meat until you can make sausage or better yet have Otto's make sausage that is BEYOND delicious!

As far as eating "rice breast" birds. I hate wasting meat almost as much as the next guy, but the raccoons get any meat filled with cysts/worms/parasites/protozoan. That ain't "edible meat" in my book. Maybe I shouldn't even be feeding it to them. It may be harmful to 'em.

BTW - The soup sounds great, sans the maggots.
If it’s riddled with parasites, in many professional opinions, it’s already unfit for consumption. Like I said, no one can force you to eat it.

And by feeding uncooked rice breast birds to your dog or raccoons you are completing the life cycle of the parasite and allowing that animal to become infected and then walk around, depositing sporocysts in the environment to be picked up by more critters.
Mossyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #24
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Took a mixed bag limit of ducks, a few mallards, a nice spring, couple of Gadwall and teal and had a few excellent meals.

Dried and ground up the bills, then snorted it. it’s an aphrodisiac you know!!!!

Waste not, want not.

LMAO !!! Joe approved
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:31 AM   #25
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyhorn View Post
If it’s riddled with parasites, in many professional opinions, it’s already unfit for consumption. Like I said, no one can force you to eat it.

And by feeding uncooked rice breast birds to your dog or raccoons you are completing the life cycle of the parasite and allowing that animal to become infected and then walk around, depositing sporocysts in the environment to be picked up by more critters.
I agree parasite riddled meat is not edible. From now on rice breast goes in the garbage, not out for the critters.

I need to go, I have been simmering my empty hulls in beef broth. Federal 3.5" make the best soup, BTW.

Old 12-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #26
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I agree parasite riddled meat is not edible. From now on rice breast goes in the garbage, not out for the critters.

I need to go, I have been simmering my empty hulls in beef broth. Federal 3.5" make the best soup, BTW.
LOL....

Don't forget to throw the wads in for seasoning.
Old 12-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #27
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post

Waste not, want not.

Now I understand why women find you so attractive.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #28
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
LOL....

Don't forget to throw the wads in for seasoning.
Good call!!! I'll leave out the Blackcloud, I don't think they will cook through.

Last edited by Wreckless; 12-03-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:25 PM   #29
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Good call!!! I'll leave out the Blackcloud, I don't think they will cook through.
I like to throw the empty boxes in too. Boil them down to a thick broth before adding to my soup first though.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:56 PM   #30
andymac32
Chromer

You guys are forgetting the unburnt powder from the inside of the gun. Adds some awesome seasoning!
andymac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #31
JD77
Ifish Nate

Similar but I loved getting up and sitting in the rain looking at the sky. But I just hated eating the ducks. No matter what I tried, no matter what the variety, they were tough, gamey and tasted muddy. Pretty much what made me give up on shooting ducks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
Wow that sounds great. Im am so not suited for duck hunting. Beyond the 3 am wake up and sitting in a puddle. Every thing I cook duck, duck goose comes out wrong. So much so that I don't hunt for them. The whole post brings me back to the dry heaves at the table I couldn't hide from my family after telling them how good it was going to be to eat daffy
JD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #32
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymac32 View Post
You guys are forgetting the unburnt powder from the inside of the gun. Adds some awesome seasoning!
Good call
Old 12-03-2019, 11:42 PM   #33
Headhunter
Sturgeon

Whew it’s been a busy holiday season but was able to get out a few times and scored a few birds. Had to eat some to make sure I don’t go over that possession limit you know.

Did a couple of my favorites. Bacon wrapped jalapeños teal breast poppers.

A spicy vindaloo.

Shredded pulled breast sliders.

Fried crispy duck spleen.

Used the stomachs and made little mini duck haggis.

Bone marrow bruschetta.

Finally had enough to make one of my all time favorites, duck anus gumbo.

Washed it all down with a Dos Equis XX beer. Eat well my friends! Man it’s been good eats at O’l headhunters. Waste not want not.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #34
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD77 View Post
Similar but I loved getting up and sitting in the rain looking at the sky. But I just hated eating the ducks. No matter what I tried, no matter what the variety, they were tough, gamey and tasted muddy. Pretty much what made me give up on shooting ducks.
Try out the duck soup. It is tender, sweet and delicious.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:05 AM   #35
joe_camo
King Salmon

Quote:

I crock pot the meat for 10-12 hours, that means the meat is above 160 F for 8-10 hours and reaches temperatures approaching boiling. That is the primary reason I have no issue with putting birds with obvious signs of mild "rice" breast in the soup.

In no way am I making judgement on those who choose not to eat rice ducks, I am simply passing on a method for cooking them with no possibility of consuming a live parasite.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:58 AM   #36
jimh
King Salmon

Funny how threads go. I was thinking I needed to make some soup. Then, I got to the parasites. Maybe I could make soup out of the leftover gun powder ...
Old 12-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #37
joe_camo
King Salmon

This soup is typically consists of just the leg, thigh, wing, back and neck meat. From one mallard I pick an average of 4.25 oz of cooked meat from these parts. That is just about two pounds of meat from a limit of mallards.

To put that in perspective the breast meat from one drake green winged teal averages 2.6 oz.

There is a lot more meat on a duck than just the breast and this soup is an excellent way to utilize and recover that meat.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #38
raised2hunt
Steelhead

This thread was very amusing. Made me smile. Thanks! Not trying to make light of Joe's tasty duck soup. Sounds yummy! Maybe I'll start duck hunting?
raised2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote