Daiwa lexa Vs Tatula - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
Salmon N Steel
Ifish Nate

Default Daiwa lexa Vs Tatula

I have searched around for reviews of the Lexa and Tatula and they each seem like great reels. I'm looking at the 100 size to pair with a SI 94mc 10-15 for drift fishing and tossing spinners/spoons for steelhead and silvers.

Capacity. Gear ratio. Bearings. Weight. Pounds of drag retrieve per crank
120/12. 7.1. 6+1. 7.9oz. 11lbs. 30
120/14. 8.1. 7+1. 7.6oz. 13lbs. 33"

As you can see they are very similiar. The Tatula is $60 more though. Are the differences worth $60 for a steelhead reel. Any imput is welcome I plan on purchasing the reel this week and already have the rod.

Salmon N Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Daiwa lexa Vs Tatula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back trolling View Post
I have searched around for reviews of the Lexa and Tatula and they each seem like great reels. I'm looking at the 100 size to pair with a SI 94mc 10-15 for drift fishing and tossing spinners/spoons for steelhead and silvers.

Capacity. Gear ratio. Bearings. Weight. Pounds of drag retrieve per crank
120/12. 7.1. 6+1. 7.9oz. 11lbs. 30
120/14. 8.1. 7+1. 7.6oz. 13lbs. 33"

As you can see they are very similiar. The Tatula is $60 more though. Are the differences worth $60 for a steelhead reel. Any imput is welcome I plan on purchasing the reel this week and already have the rod.
Tatula is more of a "finesse" reel so it's going to cast the light stuff better. Overall the Tatula will feel more "refined." If I was putting it on an Si I'd probably spend the extra dough just for a better overall experience

Last edited by Nor Cal Drifter; 05-13-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Nor Cal Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #3
flatman
King Salmon

search back as i wrote a review a few months ago on the tatula.

it almost never has a backlash unless i hook a branch behind me or i try as hard as i can to whip it fast. but to have that you fine tune it for every change in weight of lure. friction knob for early spin and magnetic brake for the late spin of the spool.
oh, and i dont use my thumb on the spool at all.
so far it is as close to the perfect baitcaster for me.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
JDarr
Sturgeon

The Luna will do everything you want it to do. Save the $60 and buy something nice for the Mrs.....or sand shrimp

JD
JDarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
coyote.204
Chromer

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...977&highlight=

I just got a Lexa. Bigger that you want but still the same reel. It is sweet. I have not fished it yet but have gone down to a local river by my house and that thing cast like a dream. Here are a bunch of reviews.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Stupidcarpenter
Cutthroat

I can only give feedback on the Lexa 300, sorry I know you want to go smaller, I have a ton of Curado 200's, every bit as good as the curado's, except the drags in the Diawa are super awesome (carbonex from the factory) they are pre-greased and already upgraded for you, based on my results from the 300 series I wouldn't hesitate to try one of the smaller reels if it has the upgraded greased drag washers in it! I am a Shimano die hard, but having to shell out additional money to replace the drags in under a year of fishing has me quickly moving over to Diawa, after roughly 50 silvers and 25 plus kings last season my Lexa 300 needed no drag upgrades or lube when I tore it apart this last winter, something that my standard Curado 200's have needed regularly! Let us know what works for you! If it helps, all of my friends are suprised that I have used the reel in small rivers and the next week in the ocean! I am pleasantly pleased, all I can say is very smooth drag!

Last edited by Stupidcarpenter; 05-13-2014 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Stupidcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
Salmon N Steel
Ifish Nate

Thanks guys! I think I'm going to with the Lexa. I won't need the extra finesse the Tatula provides because I plan to use this setup for winters mainly. If I need small finesse presentations I have no problem using a spinning outfit.
Salmon N Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #8
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

I have both in the high speed 100 size. love them both although to me the Tatula seems a little smoother- easy to adjust and once they are dialed in you really dont need to use your thumb and they both cast a mile.

Wherever you are looking and the price diff is $60 is a rip off! They are only $10 difference on the flee bay from huge reputable companies. No need to pay more than $110 for the Tat or $92 on the Lexa.
1nutinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Millie12
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nutinthewater View Post
I have both in the high speed 100 size. love them both although to me the Tatula seems a little smoother- easy to adjust and once they are dialed in you really dont need to use your thumb and they both cast a mile.

Wherever you are looking and the price diff is $60 is a rip off! They are only $10 difference on the flee bay from huge reputable companies. No need to pay more than $110 for the Tat or $92 on the Lexa.
Where is this you're finding these prices?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #10
Nor Cal Drifter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupidcarpenter View Post
I can only give feedback on the Lexa 300, sorry I know you want to go smaller, I have a ton of Curado 200's, every bit as good as the curado's, except the drags in the Diawa are super awesome (carbonex from the factory) they are pre-greased and already upgraded for you, based on my results from the 300 series I wouldn't hesitate to try one of the smaller reels if it has the upgraded greased drag washers in it! I am a Shimano die hard, but having to shell out additional money to replace the drags in under a year of fishing has me quickly moving over to Diawa, after roughly 50 silvers and 25 plus kings last season my Lexa 300 needed no drag upgrades or lube when I tore it apart this last winter, something that my standard Curado 200's have needed regularly! Let us know what works for you! If it helps, all of my friends are suprised that I have used the reel in small rivers and the next week in the ocean! I am pleasantly pleased, all I can say is very smooth drag!
What model Curado are you comparing to? Unless you are talking the e7 it's not apples to apples and not a fair comparison. I've landed 50+ Kings on my Curado 200e7 and the drag is still flawless.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12 View Post
Where is this you're finding these prices?
Ebay- Type in shimano lexa or Tatula- Look at the sellers with 20,000 + feedbacks with 99+ % positive- cant go wrong with that!
1nutinthewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #12
Stupidcarpenter
Cutthroat

Compared to 200e7, I have 5 of them, I really think they are a great reel, however my drag experience has not been the same as yours, I have had to upgrade the drags on all of them. Something that Diawa is including.
Stupidcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Salmon7Chaser
Steelhead

Love my Lexa!
Salmon7Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote