Come on, learn how to anchor your DB! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2003 archives

Old 11-23-2003, 12:40 PM   #1
rags
Ifish Nate

Default Come on, learn how to anchor your DB!

Drifted the Nestucca on Saturday. What is with all the boats anchoring on top of the holes? It limits one boat to each hole. I understand you anchor and bankbounce the run but don't get upset if someone anchors off to the side and cast below you. Anchor to the side and let other boats fish the run too!

rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2003, 01:05 PM   #2
DOUGS
Steelhead

Default Re: Come on, learn how to anchor your DB!

So Rags how about a fishing report from saturday?
DOUGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 01:06 PM   #3
[email protected]
AdminiMom

So, you had a good time? Or? :depressed:

J

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
rags
Ifish Nate

I always have a great time when I'm fishing. :grin: I don't let this bother me but it is frustrating to see all the prime Salmon holes with an anchor on top of them. There obvious places. Just anchor to the side and we can all have a shot at the fish. We managed to get 5 fish and kept one. The four we released had some color but the one we kept was a chromer. :smile:
Old 11-23-2003, 02:50 PM   #5
husker
Ifish Nate

rags.....i dont see why your complaining? appearently you can catch fish anyway ....i dont own a DB so i havent quite learned all of the "rules of DBing" yet....one of these days maybe in a 1.5 years i can get a DB....when fishing yesterday, everybody i saw anchored and took the choice spots......from my prespective DB's are nothing more then a moblie rock...which allows you to move around some....however when a guy finds fish why should he or she move? [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2003, 03:05 PM   #6
SteelieSteve

I'd say the reason to speak up is the inconsideration for other boaters on the river. On heavy traffic days it's common courtesy to anchor to the side of the hole and fish it or fish through and move on.
SteelieSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 03:05 PM   #7
River Ranger
King Salmon

so are you saying people shouldn't anchor and backbounce at all?

Team Zissou
River Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:45 PM   #8
Mr. Shannon O'Brien

It's entertaining to see how the show runs over their for some. I bet some clowns will be getting on the water 2 hours before day break to claim a hole.

I have seen people blow down river passing good water to go and hog a hole. It's a race for some. The unique thing that is quit entertaining is seeing the racers blow through, pull out, and end up going up stream just to drift it again.

"Oh no, here comes someone. Pull the anchor and let's go before they beat us down river."
Mr. Shannon O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 05:19 PM   #9
ampersat
King Salmon

What about all the people who drifted that day and didn't get fish? Is it still OK?

Proper etiquette is needed in pretty much every form of fishing (and life, for that matter). However, it has become more commonplace to "get yours and to heck with everyone else" (in fishing as well as in life). Sad, ain't it?

I say, fish it the way it's supposed to be fished. When you hang up these folks' gear a couple of times, be polite. After a couple of times when they ask "what's up?", let 'em know how it's supposed to be done.

This kind of thing is becoming more commonplace on all the rivers and it's not just because everyone's a jerk. They're not all jerks (of course, some of them are). Wanna backbounce, fine. Just don't tie up the same hole all day long. Most of the folks doing this kind of thing are relatively new to the drift boat thing and don't know the proud heritage of what they're doing.

Floating rocks? Rocks are on the banks of the river for a reason.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 05:25 PM   #10
SlimPickens
Chromer

Come on, learn how to NOT anchor your DB.

If no one anchors, then fishing is pleasurable for everyone and fishing is more productive. Don't have people anchoring on top of the fish, etc. Don't have people lining fish, etc.

A boat fishes thru the hole backbouncing one at a time. All others wait in line on the side of the hole until its their turn.

Works great this way. Everybody gets their chance thru the sweet spot. If you're fishing alone, its tougher but run a diver or plug.

Anchors in holes should be unethical when rivers are crowded. Learn to row your boat!
SlimPickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 05:56 PM   #11
RichH
Ifish Nate

Shadboy,

[img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/applause.gif[/img]

No divers and bait for wild steelhead!!!!
RichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #12
Get Bit
Ifish Nate

Rags,

Not anchoring is a common courtesy thing down in Shadboy's neck of the woods. Unfortunately, many of the northcoast folks haven't figured that out yet. This forces people to do what Shannon O'Brien said, get up at o dark thirty. My advice is to get out of bed earlier and beat em to the hole or do the more sensible thing and catch fish around them, underneath them, behind them, etc. Thats the best way to teach'em a lesson and kinds fun as well. :grin:

[ 11-23-2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Get Bit ]
Old 11-23-2003, 06:55 PM   #13
kayakfisher
Chromer

Ok...I like the no anchoring stuff...so much in fact that anyone of you guys who wants to fish can call me and I will row your boat for you while you fish!! Then there is not excuse for anchoring, right?

M.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:10 PM   #14
First Light Bite
Chromer

Heard a great analogy that may fit this instance "dope on a rope".

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest"
First Light Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
Quasimodo the fish killer
Tuna!

well if you anchor off to the side of a hole then yer not in the right place to catch fish so I dont have a problem if someone is anchored in the right place in the hole to catch fish its the dorks that got their anchor line right on top of where the fish lay that irk me.

I usually stay on the oars unless I am drift fishing. I tend to give anchor fisherman some room I wouldnt fish right in front of them out of common curtesy I have had words with guides on the elk and sixes over cuting in front of you and fishing, it really sucks expecially when you arent even anchored and thay pull in right off the nose of your boat and drop their lines in.
I try and give everyone room to fish. I usually get around the traffic jam because I am the guy ya always see launching about 9:00 or 10:00 just to give the boat racers and anchor fishermen time to get out of my way that way I can fish at my own pace and usually do far better then the boat racers
Quasimodo the fish killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 08:28 PM   #16
Catch 22
Tuna!

"No Anchoring" is a good idea unless you fish a river that moves like the Clack. If I didn't anchor, we'd be on the willamette by noon! I can understand the dillema on some of the coastal rivers that don't have a serious current or flow. However, making a blatant statement that driftboats should not ever anchor lacks some thought.

Ifish Member #161
Catch 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 08:33 PM   #17
River Ranger
King Salmon

Seems to me people have been anchoring and backbouncing on the tillamook area rivers as long as I've known.I don't mind if someone anchors at the top of the hole and bounces for a while,But let others have a turn.I see a lot of guides do it and no one says anything.I'm not taking one side or the other just making an observation.It can be frustrating to see someone with the anchor right on top of the fish though.
R.R.

Team Zissou
Old 11-23-2003, 09:36 PM   #18
cully
Ifish Nate

I'd like to see people move on through a hole after being on anchor and all but if they want to sit and plunk from a boat then fine with me too. They are easy enough to pass and there is usually plenty of other places to fish. I may not get my chance at my spot every time out. Oh well theres always another day so why get all uptight.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:48 PM   #19
Grantspastor
King Salmon

On the Rogue, back bouncing is done with one person on the oars working down through the hole, with other boats following in rotation. In the old days (last summer) anchoring on a hole would earn you a fist fight. Fortunately we now live in kinder-gentler times.

By the way Rags...last week I HAMMERED the fish using that special gear you taught me to use.

[ 11-23-2003, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:43 AM   #20
C 'n' D

This practice has really turned the Wilson and neighboring rivers into a miserable place to fish during the fall. There is so much river traffic when the water is up that hogging holes really robs alot of people from being able to fish. Unfortunately it is an accepted practice. When I do go to the Wilson to fish for salmon, I know that I will probably only get 3 or 4 productive runs to pull kwikfish through. We could really learn a thing or two from our brethren to the south. I don't know what it is going to take to make a change, but possibly putting up signs at the put-ins, as well as guides and ifishers setting an example on the river by not anchoring to backbounce?

That river is capable of handling all the pressure, there just needs to be a change of mentality when fishing it in the fall.
C 'n' D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:14 AM   #21
Tilla
King Salmon

I don't know where all you guys come off calling them Driftboats. From my perspective they are really rowboats!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:24 AM   #22
husker
Ifish Nate

wow.....what outpouring of anger here.....funny thing, the guides were the 1's anchoring in the holes first....interesting
Old 11-24-2003, 08:08 AM   #23
Tanner
Sturgeon

I think what Rags is saying here is don't anchor on top of the fish. I am all for anchoring at the top end of the hole and do it on several of the holes I fish. Yesterday, I watched two driftboats bait dive through a hole that I like to fish on the Nestucca, neither one of them caught a fish out of the hole.

When they were done I came in behind them, dropped anchor at the top of the hole and started backbouncing. Within 5 minutes I hooked a nice chrome 12 pound hen which I handed off to my son and he landed, about 5 minutes after that my son hooked a dark 20 lb hen which we released. We stayed there until we were sure there were no more biters in that hole.
We were there probably a total of 35 minutes.

This hole I was fishing is one of my favorite and most productive, but If someone would have been anchored in it when I got to it, I wouldn't have whined about it. I would have either waited it out or moved on to the next one.

In fact the next hole down from that is one that I like to bait dive through. When I got there, there was a guy anchored right on top of where the fish were,(no bad, he didn't know this section of river real well). As I passed him I asked him how he was doing and then I asked him if he fishes the river much and he said mostly for steelhead. I said, "If you pull anchor and row back up and position your boat at that tree up there you will probably have a better chance at getting a fish". After that I headed downriver.

About two hours later I was anchored in another hole and I saw him coming down river, When he got up to me he said "Hey, thanks for the tip, you helped my buddy catch his first chinook, right after we moved to where you said he got a fish".
Old 11-24-2003, 08:17 AM   #24
DriftR
Tuna!

I have been fishing the Nestucca River for many, many years. In the 60's and 70's drift fishing was always the norm. Had some plug pulling back then. In the 80's and 90's started seeing more and more plug pulling, more DB's on the river more back bouncing. Later 90's and into the 2000's more and more of the above but less and less drift fishing. I have always believed that the first one to the hole can fish it anyway he wants. However, staying at the top of the hole and "Camping" on it is not fair to all. I've had numerous incidents while fishing the lower Nestucca while drift fishing (anchored off to the side) and having boats either anchor up in the top of the hole and BB or just run plugs through where I was drift fishing. Then look real hard at me when I cast in the water I was drift fishing for the last 1/2 hour. These idiots will never learn river manners. They own the freaking river when you ask them. Besides that they couldn't read the rules of courtesy even if you handed it to them. I firmly believe there are just to many boats, fisherman, bank fisherman, guides and clients. It is just not a big enough river to support some of the tremedous crowds on the bank and the aluminum bloom on the lower stretches when the fish are in hot and heavy. All I can say is that I am glad to be able to still run the river, fight the traffic, idiots,hole hogs because I like to fish. Even if I never catch another steelie or nook I have caught my share since the 60's and am very satisfied to remember those pristine times on the Nestucca.
DriftR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM   #25
Rustyoar
Ifish Nate

Maybe its just more people getting intrested in the sport, like me, I don't know all the edicate, but I do have manners and politeness if someone is nice enough gave me a suggestion or advice, you can be damn sure I would take it. But how many times do you hear advice on how to fish a hole on any river, everyone is all tight liped or cuss'in at you, doesn't help me, doesn't help me learn, just ruins a nice day on the river with your old man or your kid. I don't need anyone to wipe my nose or anything else but sometimes I feel like its a big stress factory out there and I am rowing on ice. The last thing I want to do is tick someone off or not fish a hole properly, just a word of advice one time and I doubt I would make the same mistake twice.
Just my two cents.
Rustyoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #26
Grantspastor
King Salmon

Rustyoar...I'd share space on the river with you ANYTIME. With an outlook like that you WILL learn proper etiquette (part of the problem is it varies from river to river). Believe me...people like you are not part of the problem...rather you are part of the solution! Give your self time...ignore the idiots...get away once in a while to the Rogue. We've got a lot of boats, but we still have a little space to share also.

[ 11-24-2003, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Grantspastor ]
Grantspastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 01:06 PM   #27
Rustyoar
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the invite Grantspastor.
Rustyoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 03:27 PM   #28
Hooker
Chromer

What if you are solo in the DB and you want to bounce?
Old 11-24-2003, 04:49 PM   #29
rags
Ifish Nate

Rustyoar,
You have the right attitude for sure. I hate to let off steam on this site but I think this type of discussion helps everyone, especially new dbers. Drift fishing or bobber fishing a Salmon hole when anchored to the side is very effective. If you are alone I would suggest these methods. We caught our fish drifting eggs,shrimp and bobber fishing. The last deep hole above Farmers Creek is a great example of how you can backbounce and row back up. There is a lot of soft water on the west side. Start at the top, back bounce the hole and row back up. If you anchor at the top and backbounce it long lining the hole its game over for everyone else. I don't know maybe I am just spitting in the wind here but if a few Ifishers and guides set the example we might change things on the river.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:47 PM   #30
River Ranger
King Salmon

I can tell you the guides probably will not change to fast> I watched two guides on sat spank the chinook by anchoring.They are two well known and respected guides.
R.R.

Team Zissou
Old 11-24-2003, 05:59 PM   #31
Fishin Magician
Ifish Nate

this makes me laugh.....people gripe about all of us running electrics on our driftboats.........then they gripe about people anchoring on top of a hole. I am all for courtesy but this is comical. What about the bank guys who wont even acknowlede you are there and get bent if you anchor or fish within two miles of them.........I dont seem to have any issues while on the river but if someone wanted to try and put a fist in my face because I am anchored up BBing let em try it , it would be the last time they did.

JB
Fishin Magician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #32
Bubzilla

How about don't anchor at all? A drift boat is NOT a piece of floating bank. Wanna be a bankie? Leave the boat at home. Learn how to fish from and with your boat--not park it and bank fish from it. Don't get to fish much 'cause it's your boat? Well, welcome to owning a drift boat! Teach someone with you to row so that you can fish too. I can't even express how mad it makes me to see some jerk anchored in a hole--as if running down in the dark entitled them to that hole for the rest of the day. Ruins everyone's fishing, and only reflects the ignorance of the owner/user of the boat as to the true purpose of a drift boat.

Proper anchoring technique? You take the anchor out of the nest and walk out about twenty or so feet of line to put your boat on the shore for lunch. Otherwise, keep your anchor where it belongs--in the boat.

Shadboy is exactly right. And, fortunately, that is how it works for the most part on the South Coast. Used to be the way it worked on the North Coast too, when people actually knew how to operate their boats, but now not so much. It's not so much an issue of etquette as it is simply basic fishing skills. If you can't fish with your boat, as opposed to from your boat, you need to learn. If you want to be a bankie, be a bankie, and quit plugging up the river for the rest of us.

[ 11-24-2003, 07:10 PM: Message edited by: Bubzilla ]
Bubzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 06:18 PM   #33
The Big Tuna
Steelhead

I have two things to say:

1) Thank you Rags for starting this discussion because, as a beginner in the drift boat, I can definitely use this etiquette lesson. This is one of the purposes of this board and I'm sure there are others like me that will find it useful; and

2) I read Tanner's post and realized he was talking about me! [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img]

I'll just let everyone know that Tanner's action on the river set a great example for his young boy who was fishing with him on the boat, taught me a valuable lesson on etiquette, and was the reason why my good friend caught and landed his first Salmon. I think Tanner's way is the right way to affect change on the river.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:53 PM   #34
River Ranger
King Salmon

I would almost guarentee that every drifter on this post has and still does anchor and bb or run plugs,at times.There are some holes that are to fast to hold a drift boat right at the head of the hole where the nooks like to hold.Or the water is to fast to row back up to the top and try another pass,Should these holes only be fished with drift gear or bobbers from the side?I would rather pull plugs or bounce while on the oars,But there are times when it's nice to take a break and anchor.This is sometimes more productive.The only thing I can't stand is when I'm backtrolling and someone drops right in below me.Other than that I don't care how or where people fish, theres plenty of river and plenty of fish,To little time to worry about the little things.
R.R.

Can't we all just get along

Team Zissou
Old 11-24-2003, 07:00 PM   #35
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

I tried to avoid this one...actually typed a couple of paragraphs then deleted it.

The problem isn't sitting and fishing. It's just too many boats.

Everyone comes to a hole you want to fish and finds someone anchored in a good hole. You can either pull over and eat a sandwich, and see if it's worth worrying about, or fish on down.

I am a guy who really gripes when someone throws the pick where powerboats are "on the tiller". But anchoring in a "railing lane" in a drift boat is a legitamate way to fish.

Not for me, but if they got there before me, and that's what they want to do all day their call.

[ 11-24-2003, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Gun Rod Bow ]
Old 11-24-2003, 07:05 PM   #36
River Ranger
King Salmon

Well said GRB too many boats thats the only problem.Anchor or backtrolling first you just have to find a spot. .
R.R.

Team Zissou
Old 11-24-2003, 07:24 PM   #37
The Bad Fish
Tuna!

heres what i do. and tell me if you agree or not. first of all i drift small rivers on the washington peninsula, some times the wife and i never see another boat.

1. anchor above the the hole. run a plug through 4-5 times then pull anchor and go to the next hole.

2. if the bankies are fishing a spot i wait till they are all done casting, or ask them to "hold their fire" and run through their water fast and quiet.

the bankies can't cover as much water as you so let them have the run. i have one particular slot i love to run plugs thru but usually there is someone fishing it from the bank so i just deal with it.

why sit in a hole all day on anchor and wait for the fish? go find them.

if i did'nt anchor i would never get to fish. the wife would keep catching them all till the hole was cleaned out .
The Bad Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:30 PM   #38
ampersat
King Salmon

Way to go Tanner!!

First off, he handled the situation with aplomb. He wasn't rude, he didn't hurl lead at the boat or get in the guy's face. Second, he educated someone who was new to the river and the sticks. Now this person not only knows one hole on one river but has a pretty good idea of what's going to make a good hole on any river. Third, he's gotten someone off on the right foot. Because of Tanner, The Big Tuna has a better idea of what the whole drift boat experience is about and one day TBT will pass it on to someone else.

I'll never become a guide no matter how good I get (a guy's gotta dream big dreams, right?) or how much I think I would be good at it. Most clients are there to harvest their fish or at least catch a lot of them in hopes of picking up valuable info from the guide. No matter how good the technique, if the client didn't catch fish that day they feel like they haven't gotten their money's worth out of the trip. This puts pressure on the guides to fish the way they do sometimes. I'm not knocking 'em for it - it's the clients' fault for thinking fishing is about the fish. But it's not just the guides doing this kind of thing on the river. For some folks, it's all about the fish and has very little to do with the fishing and drift boating experience.

If anyone thinks fishing is just about the fish, they should probably find themselves another hobby.

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:00 PM   #39
FishBowl

Bubzilla
I have to disagree with you on not anchoring at all! I am not one to anchor and backbouce a hole, have never caught a fish backbouncing and probably never will.(Not to say I haven't tried a time or two). But I do like to drift fish and that involes anchoring the boat to the SIDE of the river. Yes there are some [img]graemlins/dork.gif[/img] "s out there that will run plugs right over the hole you are fishing, and I try in a polite way to tell them that is not proper fishing, boating etiquette. Some listen and some are just jerks. The one's I love are the guy's that will run a diver and bait while on anchor right in the middle of a prime spot and just sit and drink coffee for hours at a time But to say not to anchor at all is laughable. How do I teach my young teenaged boy's how to driftfish or bobber and jig fish? Just let them have at it and not be sucessful?? As for wanting to be a bank fishermen, many of the places that have a good run of fish have so many cussing and drinking yahoo's I don't really want to have my kid's have to put up with is why I fish form MY driftboat and yes I will keep anchoring all I want. How about this, you do your thing and I will do mine. Your opinion is one I don't share but will respect. But don't act like your way is the only and best way, that is the drift I am getting from your post, I don't know all the answers but I am certain that you don't either. People should just show others the respect that they expect in return, you don't show me any you certainly won't get any. Peace fellow fishermen.

Tim
FishBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:08 PM   #40
Flatfish
King Salmon

GRB,

thank you.

This thread is why I sold the drifter and bought a sled.

Too many drifters on too small a river. No wonder electric motors look like the answer to some. The allow 3 driftboats to fish the same hole at once. What a bonus.

The price of growth is here.

Mark and the jet powered dog.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:13 PM   #41
spinner53
Ifish Nate

Someone, pleasee post a link to any other etiquete post so all newbee's and those who haven't been informed can be CLUE'd in.
Fished the Wilson today and was reminded why I stopped fishing for Chinook. I can only imagine what it was like this week-end. Then to top it off, a blue alum boat goes by at least three boats waiting above Sollie bridge ( Huhm, boats waiting above the take out,, wonder what they were doing there )T'was a testament to my patience for not uttering a word, especially since and probably because I was packing and had done very well on Saturday at a pistol match.

If this rhetoric is over the top, let me know.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 PM   #42
Catch 22
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally posted by ampersat:

I'll never become a guide no matter how good I get (a guy's gotta dream big dreams, right?) or how much I think I would be good at it. Most clients are there to harvest their fish or at least catch a lot of them in hopes of picking up valuable info from the guide. No matter how good the technique, if the client didn't catch fish that day they feel like they haven't gotten their money's worth out of the trip. This puts pressure on the guides to fish the way they do sometimes. I'm not knocking 'em for it - it's the clients' fault for thinking fishing is about the fish. But it's not just the guides doing this kind of thing on the river. For some folks, it's all about the fish and has very little to do with the fishing and drift boating experience.

<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Amen Ampersat!
It's very much like that. I don't know how many times potential clients asked me what my guarantee was. I always referred them to Albertson's. :smile:

Ifish Member #161
Catch 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:14 PM   #43
Plum Crazy
Chromer

I agree with Flatfish and 22.
I sold my DB and switched to a sled. Much easier.
Fish the Clack alot and If I didn't do some anchoring it would become Fire passing the Hole white water rides. I also when I can NEVER fish on WEEKENDS. Too many wantabee's who have fished all of .5 years and never take the time to learn the right way. Every season we go through this same post. We all went through the List of Do's and Dont's of fishing last year. I think even handed them out and It still happens. It's just like when I was a bankie. If I got up late and didn't get my first spot on the good hole. OH WE'LL. I don't like it anymore than you guy's but it's the NEXT generation of fishing and though it pains me to say Theirs no changing those kind of people. We all just have to agree to Disagree and go fish.
Sorry to offend but very long shift and very tired.
Fire
Plum Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:33 PM   #44
Travis Moncrief Fins Feathers Furs
Chromer

GRB nailed it, too many boats. I don't fish weekends but I did drive down and looked at all the rivers and could not hardly believe it. When there are that many boats; if you leave the spot you are fishing there is a good chance you may not find a new spot to fish. So know one wants to leave the spot they are in.

General rule of thumb is as the old saying goes "When in Rome." Different rivers have different techniques and styles that are common practices to that area. Also different holes on the same river are fished differntly. And that can change from day to day. Ex. I drove up the Wilson River Sat. and infront of the RV Park there were 5 boats anchored darn near bow to stern. They were running plugs and back bouncing. So you wouldn't go in there and try to drift fish. Join the crowd or move on. Sunday there were six boats all anchored off to the side drift fishing the same water. So you woluldn't go drop the anchor infront of everybody. Even if that is how you fihsed yesterday or the 10 previous times. Again join the crowd or move on.

My point is don't go agrainst the grain, your going to have a rough time and have a frustrating day if you go in with the mind set you are going to fish one way and one way only. If you didn't set the trend your going to have to adapt. Forcing your methods is what gets things heated.
Travis Moncrief Fins Feathers Furs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 10:45 PM   #45
Bubzilla

"Or the water is to fast to row back up to the top and try another pass"

How about giving it one pass and moving on--the time-honored tradition or truly sharing the water?

"How do I teach my young teenaged boy's how to driftfish or bobber and jig fish?"

Seeing as how those are bank fishing techniques, I'd suggest the obvious: from the bank. They are great techniques. Very effective. And I think it's awesome you're the kind of guy that thinks it's important to take his sons fishing--we need many more like you. But they are not drift boat techniques. There in lies the problem--particularly on the North Coast. Too many guys treating drift boats like floating pieces of bank.

"But don't act like your way is the only and best way, that is the drift I am getting from your post, I don't know all the answers but I am certain that you don't either."

Maybe not. But I do know how to sidedrift, boon-doggle, and pull plugs or divers while on the oars. I never anchor to fish a hole. If I did, I would fully expect guys sidedrifting or pulling plugs to fish through--that's only fair. There simply aren't enough holes on North Coast rivers for the first guy anchored in the hole to expect that he's "called it." If anything, that only requires others to race to the remaning holes and attempt the same. Ultimately, that won't work, and you end up with the zoo that is the lower Kilches any given Saturday in January.

I regularly fish on rivers on the South Coast with every bit as many boats as the Wilson, Nestucca, or any other North Coast river, but with much less felt congestion. Often times on the Chetco groups of twenty or more boats will go down in a single group--with limited conflict and everyone catching fish. Why? Because nobody anchors. Period. They drift through--generally once--and continue downstream. In a few places people row or motor back upstream to go through again--taking a place at the end of the line--but nobody blocks the whole hole by anchoring. If they want to employ a bank technique, they park and bank fish. Granted, the fish are moving there more than in other systems, but the principle holds true nonetheless: take a reasonable shot and move on.

You don't have to agree with me. Hell, I couldn't care less if you do or not--that has no effect whatsoever on the legitimacy of my argument. But don't kid yourself that anchoring in a hole isn't rude, and that it doesn't reflect a certain amount of poor sporstmanship. The reel problem is that it's one of those "every body else is doing it, so I will to," kind of things. The result is the mess that has become most of the North Coast.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 PM   #46
The Overfishin Condition
King Salmon

When I was fishing the Kenai in AK anchoring is not allowed in the main channels of the river, you can only anchor out of main flow spots, and only if you're in a driftboat. However, a kicker works just like an anchor if you hold steady throttle, so they fight the same problem there. My guides solution. Hold right in front of them, hook a fish under their boat, and force them out of the hole. Honest to goodness. The hole would plug up, we'd come to the top hook a fish and clear it out, then it'd plug up again, and we'd hook another fish. Good times. Why is it called a drift boat if ya always anchor?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:57 PM   #47
rags
Ifish Nate

DriftR and others, I guess us old guys do remember the good old days when if you owned a driftboat you knew how to fish the river with proper etiquette. I always found that you caught more fish backbouncing by positioning your boat at the top of the hole and slowly moving through while walking your bait along the bottom. You could always row off to the side and back up if you had some slack water on the side. Maybe todays dbers are just to lazy and self-centered. Just because you see guides doing it doesn't mean everyone should do it. That guide sticker doesn't always mean your smarter than everyone else.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:51 AM   #48
Salmonator
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubzilla:
How about don't anchor at all? A drift boat is NOT a piece of floating bank. Wanna be a bankie? Leave the boat at home. Learn how to fish from and with your boat--not park it and bank fish from it.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">It cracks me up that someone is trying to tell me not to anchor my boat and catch salmon. Bubzilla, If you got up super early to get a duck-blind would you take turns with another group of hunters between flocks? I think good blinds are much harder to find than salmon holes. How about deer hunting over a rub that you used your flashlight to get to? Would you be willing to share that too?

I understand the concept of sharing the river but if you pass up a prime anchor spot I will almost guarantee you that somebody will come in behind you and take it. This has happened to me many times after making a pass with divers and turned to find a boat anchored at the head when I was ready to make another pass. Nothing you can do except jump in thier boat and start throwing fists but how realistic is that? One option would be to anchor next to the guy at the head in the bigger holes. I think you'll find that many boats won't mind. And if you're not in the main funnel then float down some bobbers.
And if that don't work then I guess the only option would be to scout out less crowded rivers or sell the boat?

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:01 AM   #49
Salmonator
Sturgeon

After reading bug-flickers post I'd like to clarify that I'd never get up early to go drop anchor in a bankie hole. I think you would have to skip sleep altogether to beat them anyways

[ 11-25-2003, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: Salmonator ]

If I knock my own salmon off with the net in the middle of the ocean and nobody saw it, did it actually happen?
Salmonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 01:31 AM   #50
Bubzilla

"Bubzilla, If you got up super early to get a duck-blind would you take turns with another group of hunters between flocks? I think good blinds are much harder to find than salmon holes. How about deer hunting over a rub that you used your flashlight to get to? Would you be willing to share that too?

I understand the concept of sharing the river but if you pass up a prime anchor spot I will almost guarantee you that somebody will come in behind you and take it."

I rest my case. In a nutshell what's currently wrong with most North Coast rivers. And with attitudes like those above, it's only going to get worse.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:13 AM   #51
Big Willie
Tuna!

If it's a busy day on the river, don't anchor in a hole. If you do, don't get upset when someone starts fishing right below you.

On a light day, take up a hole for a while, there plenty of others to fish down river.

I look at anchoring off to the side or at the top of a hole as the same thing, and I do both depending on the traffic that day.

John...let's hook up (some pun intended) this winter. We'll do the upper upper, I had a very busy spring and summer with a big remodel project.

Team crappy coffee
Big Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 04:31 PM   #52
FishBowl

Seeing how I don't fish the North Coast streams other than once or twice a year on the Nestucca, I guess I don't know what kind of a zoo it is. I do fish the Santiams and many people line up on anchor and get along just fine. I will even offer for people to go ahead and pull plugs through the hole, all they really need to do is ask if I would mind, I don't own the river and if I am on anchor and probably catching fish I really don't care if they do. It is the guy that comes down and plunks his anchor down right if front of where you are drifting that really gets my goat. As for not kidding myself about anchoring not being rude thats your opinion, and you know the saying, opinions are like a..holes and they often stink, I think you know how I feel about yours.
Tim
Old 11-25-2003, 05:32 PM   #53
cully
Ifish Nate

I'm with crambone. I've got my opinion and it changes from time to time. I'm not about to get all excited one way or another for what I feel today may not be what I get tomorrow. But please don't tell what to do or don't do unless I'm casting into your line...then you can kick my rear.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:34 PM   #54
Bubzilla

Fair enough Crambone. I think we can definitely agree on your last statement, as I think you know how I feel about your opinion too.

If you'd ever like to actually learn how to fish with your boat, as opposed to bank fish from it, come on down to the South Coast and we'll show you how it's done.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:30 PM   #55
River Ranger
King Salmon

Team Zissou
Old 11-25-2003, 07:05 PM   #56
FishBowl

You don't know me from adam and you make a statement like I don't know how to fish??? I just love the I am so much better than you attitude [img]graemlins/berry.gif[/img] I am always looking for ways to become a better fisherman but it will be a cold day in hell before I would fish with the likes of you [img]graemlins/berry.gif[/img]
Tim
Old 11-25-2003, 07:16 PM   #57
Fast Action

Still at it
Fast Action is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:32 PM   #58
Uglygreen
King Salmon

You boys better clean it up and calm down or this thread is going to go &lt;&lt;&lt;POOF&gt;&gt;&gt; and be gone.

My opinion - I can fish either way, and when in Rome...

UG
Uglygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:35 PM   #59
Kruechief
Tuna!

I can't believe that someone would blow through prime drifts without anchoring off to the side and drift fishing it.

I guess you can count me as rude too! :whazzup:

Krue

[ 11-25-2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Kruechief ]

Team Eddie (RIP)
Team No Pus Pockets
Kruechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 07:36 PM   #60
FishBowl

Hey UG this is all in fun

Tim

Also I am bored