Let's cook some springer! - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 05-03-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Default Let's cook some springer!

Nah... I didn't catch one, but I have plenty from Bill's catches. :smile:

Anyway, here is my favorite way to cook them, lately.

This is, in part, thanks to Chris Sessions, and Crabbait, combined. :smile:

Mix together some Hawaiian bbq sauce. I forget, Crabbait... What kind is it? Anyway... Hawaiian, with a bit of tang and sweetness...

Then, add some brown sugar, (Plenty if you like those crispies off the bbq) some chipotle peppers with some of their sauce, in the can, (with or without seeds,) depending on how much "hot" you like...

Slop that all over the salmon fillet, with the skin taken off. Keep heaping it on, and keep it in the fridge to dry a bit. Works good if you have one of those fridges that dry things a bit...

Then... Start the bbq, we are going to have some fun!

Take a piece of tin foil, and fill it with the wood chips of your choice.

Set the chips on the coals, or slightly off to the side, and close up the bbq.

Put the sauced fish, in one of those things that hold meat over the grill? Whatzat called? With the handle, and they are made so you can grill meat over a campfire? Geesh, I'm not being very helpful... :smile:

Anyway, one of those! :smile: Spray it well with Pam, or brush with olive oil.

Put the salmon in the BBQ, offset to the coals, so it cooks really slow. Replace the lid, and go have a drink or something.

I find that most 2-3 inch slabs, (oh yum!) take about 25 minutes in our bbq, with this method.

Smoke that baby! :smile:

OH YUM!

Anyway, when you take it out, it will be crispy in parts, and really moist on the inside! It is to die for!

We serve it with the remainder of the sauce, wild and brown rice mix, and your choice of veggies!

I like the sweet/hot combo with the sweet taste of the springer.

Another one: There is nothing that can beat fresh hollandaise, wild rice, and veggies with just plain old poached springer, but don't count the calories! Have a little fat with your fat, you know?

Anyway, I know there is tons of springer being eaten lately. What's your favorite?

Oh yeah, one more-- We've been throwing a slab on the Foreman Grill with just about any seasonings you want. It's a great way to cook it up fast!

Hey, maybe I can't catch um, but I sure am enjoying eating them! :smile:

Jen

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Jennie@ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
Tilla
King Salmon

Default Re: Let's cook some springer!

OK Crabbait....The Hawiian BBQ sauce name please. We are looking for a new recipe for...ahem..my wifes springer.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Skin on...laying on Aluminum...not "tin" foil that is well lubed. Jen...Where can I get some "TIN"?? Only us old folks call it "TIN"...

Wet it down generously with lemon juice.

Light dust of galic powder.

Light dust of lemon pepper.

Cover it up with Rocky Mountain Cajun Spice.
25 to 30 min at 350 deg with the smoke chips smoking on the Weber....A little longer for a thick one....

YUM!
Ifish Member #148
whitewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
crabbait
King Salmon

It is Beaver brand Hawaiian BBQ sauce, usually available at Albertsons or anywhere that Beaver brand products are sold (you know...horseradish, tarter suace and stuff). If they don't have it they will order it for you and it is worth the effort.
Here is my original recipe:

In a sauce pan, mix one jar Beaver Hawaiian BBQ sauce, one stick of butter, the juice of 1/2 lemon and 2-3 tablespoons of dehydrated onion (in the spice aisle). Heat until bleended and the onion starts to reconstitute but do not boil or the butter will separate back out of the sauce.

Put salmon fillets in tin foil pans (yeah, I'm an old fogey) on the grill and cover with sauce. Cook medium heat for 10 minutes per inch or until the salmon just flakes (DO NO OVERCOOK SALMON!). No need to turn, the salmon will lift right off the skin when done.

A good variation is to add Caravelle sweet chili sauce to the mix (to taste). Bon Apetite!

[ 05-04-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: crabbait ]
Old 05-04-2003, 09:22 AM   #5
Mikeymoto
Ifish Nate

Slutgoddess I can get you some tinfoil from a dental supplier, but you don't want to use it to cook with as it melts way too soon. You're right only us old folks call it tin foil. Good fishing.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:11 PM   #6
[email protected]
AdminiMom

aluminum foible.

:smile:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Whoo hooo! What a Ride!”

Old 05-04-2003, 03:39 PM   #7
Killertraylor
Sturgeon

You're right about that sweet-hot flavor being excellent on fish. I've been using Thai sweet-chili sauce on my fish and can't go back to any other recipe because it's so perfect (and easy). It's Caravelle brand and I found it at Fred Meyer. Just take your steaks and put them on foil with the sweet-hot chili sauce (it's red and real thick) on each side, put on the bbq in the foil boat, flip them 1/2 way through cooking. If you like cedar plank fish, just put the chili sauce on the fillet and put it on the cedar plank. Serve it with rice with a little more of the chili sauce. I posted this recipe on here a few months ago and have had several e-mails from happy ifishers who have tried it. It's so easy too! I've got some e-mails from people who have had trouble finding the sweet chili sauce - I get mine at Fred Meyer in Scappoose next to the fresh fish. It's in a glass wine sized bottle and it's $3.99. I buy it by the case now
Killertraylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:36 PM   #8
Jerry Dove
King Salmon

I still like my Mexican style. I posted it a couple of weeks ago. I had some Friday night, after spending 3 days in Portland. Five keepers one no keeper, lost one and missed two. Nice fish but nothing like Tillamook fish. Will go after them starting Tues. Have heard of quite a few in the last few days. A couple of 31lbs. Watch for 5 year old Whiskey Creek Fish, Left Vent. clip. Tim Juarez got one Sat. 31 lber.
Jerry Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:51 PM   #9
reeldick
Tuna!

I tried a new Hawaian BBQ sauce I picked up at Thriftway, NOH brand BBQ Sauce, made in Hawaai.
It's really different than the heavy sauces for meat. Works great on springer.
reeldick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
[email protected]
AdminiMom

Yum. Making some of this for Easter brunch tomorrow... to be served cold. Yum yum yum... even frozen last year's springer!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #11
greenbuttskunk
King Salmon

I did my favorite, Thai Salmon with some of the spinger I caught this week.
I have posted the recipe on the board.

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...mon#post867000

If you like spicey thai flavor, you'll die for this one!
greenbuttskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #12
D-tangle

OMG, I was almost drooling here.

I am the most boring person in the world now. I just put some smoke pellets in a cast iron BBQ smoker pot, BBQ on medium, pam on the grill and cook my Springer for 20 minutes. I hate fish, but this Springer yesterday tasted fabuloso! Maybe i am not going to be giving my Springer away to friends anymore. Hmmmm. Hawaiian seasoning, eh?
D-tangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #13
red willie
Tuna!

GBS,,

tryed that recipe last year and i must say it was as good if not better then any salmon i have had todate,, is now my fav.

thanx for the reminder, thats how we will have it tonight,,

rw
Old 04-07-2007, 04:38 PM   #14
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

Personally my favorite is putting it in the over in tinfoil on a pan with Johnny's Seasoning Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, and a few slices of fresh onion. Once it's done try below....

Try taking 1/4 stick of salted butter, 10-15 drops of lime juice (from squeeze bottle) and 1/2 cup of brown sugar, take above ingredients in a cup and put in microwave for 30 seconds and then stir until it turns to caramel and reheat right before you put it on top of the fish and smear it on right when the fish comes out of the oven... It's amazing how good it is!!

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
greenbuttskunk
King Salmon

another good and simple way is one I learned about while fishing with Travis up on the nushagak last summer. Real simple.
Smear mayo over the top of a fillet, add some johny season salt or lawreys (sp) season salt, wrap in foil and bake. Delicious and super easy!
greenbuttskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #16
Starfish
King Salmon

Dang, all these recipes are making me drool all over my keyboard. I gotta go catch a springer!

For those who like to use sweet chili sauce in their springer cooking, try going to an oriental grocery store... instead of 3.99 a bottle it's more like $1.99, 25 oz, Mae Ploy brand, made in Thailand.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #17
dogwood
Chromer

Smear mayo over a fillet. Add salt and pepper. Cover entire fillet with lemon slices. Wrap in foil and bbq. Simple and very good.

Another easy one - Soak a cedar plank. Mix up some bbq sauce with honey. Place fillet on plank and baste bbq sauce/honey onto the fillet. Cook on the BBQ. The board will catch on fire, which gives it a nice smoked flavor. I use a spray bottle to control the fire.

Another one - Soak a cedar plank. Melt butter and mix in brown sugar. Place fillet on the plank and then on the grill. Baste the butter and brown sugar on.

CW
dogwood is offline   Reply With Quote