Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Bass, Panfish & Products

Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Stan Fagerstrom
Steelhead

Default Have You Gone Wacky Lately?

Have You Gone Wacky Lately?

By Stan Fagerstrom
Part 1

It’s not at all uncommon to find bass fishermen who are going wacky.

Please don’t misunderstand. I’m not saying it’s easy to find bass fishermen who are a tad short of smarts. My wife might choose to debate that after I’ve disturbed her sleep by rolling out of the sack at 3:30 a.m. three days in a row just to play dirty tricks on my elusive bigmouthed friends. But that’s not what I’m talking about.

What I do have in mind is Wacky Style worm fishing. Talk to some of the best bass anglers you can find and you’ll discover this procedure is one of the techniques that helps them put fish in the boat. You won’t have to go far to find experts like I’m talking about.

One who immediately comes to mind is a talented bass fishing friend whose name you see regularly on the Discussion Board here at this web site. I’m thinking, of course, of my friend Roger Luce.

I’ve known Roger for years. I had the good fortune to fish with him while he was guiding on Silver Lake a couple of decades ago. Roger knows a heck of a lot more about bass fishing than some of those dudes who have received a lot more recognition. Pay attention to what Roger has to say on the Discussion Board. You can learn from him.

Talk to Roger and I’ll bet you’ll hear him mention the Wacky Style approach he often takes in his own bass fishing sooner than later. And that’s what you’ll find with other expert bass anglers all over the country.

If you’ve not gotten into this method of bamboozling bass you’re missing a bet. And this applies whether you’re after either largemouth or smallmouth bass. I’ve boated a bunch of both species with the Wacky Style Technique wherever I’ve fished. The largest smallmouth I’ve taken out of Oregon’s Umpqua River, for example, came on a 5-inch Senko rigged Wacky style.

There’s no reason, I guess, why you can’t rig any plastic worm you choose Wacky Style. The baits I’ve used the technique with almost exclusively are those that Gary Yamamoto markets called the Senko. I do so for a number of good reasons.

The first and foremost reason is that the Senko is a fish catching son of a gun. Another is that when matched with the line of the right size it’s possible to throw even the smaller Senkos as far as is usually required without having to add weight.

Wacky Style, in event you’re not familiar with it, simply means attaching your hook at the middle of the bait. The usual method of rigging a plastic worm is to insert the hook at the head end. Having your hook in the middle of a Senko allows both ends of the bait to do a deadly dance as it drops down through the water. It doesn’t just dive down nose first as happens when the hook is inserted in the nose in traditional fashion.

Click pic to zoom

Gamkatsu's finesse weedless wide gap hooks enable an angler to fish a plastic worm in almost any kind of cover. One of these hooks is shown here with the weedguard both open and closed. The lightweight plastic used in the weedguard is so light it doesn't interfere with setting the hook.

A couple of years ago I did a two part series here on how to rig up Wacky Style. If you didn’t have opportunity to read it at that time you can do so by going to the archives of my past columns.

The title of my earlier columns on Wacky Style fishing was “There’s More Than One Way.” Part 1 of this two part series first appeared in March of 2007. Part 2 was posted the following month. If you’re interested in a general run down on Wacky Style fishing, and if you’re serious about bass fishing you should be, I think you’ll find those columns of interest.

One of the things associated with Wacky Style fishing those columns covered was how to rig for the technique without actually inserting your hook through the body of your worm. There are a number of ways to go about and those earlier columns covered several of them.
I mention this because now my friends at Gamakatsu are making it easier than ever to fish Whacky Style where the bass are holding in cover of one kind or another. I’ll get into the details of how they’ve done this in next month’s column.

Bass often hole up in cover like that shown here. Using a plastic worm rigged Wacky Style with a Gamakatsu finesse weedless wide gap hook is a great way to fish it.

Stay tuned because I think you’ll find it of interest.

-To Be Continued-

Last edited by Stan Fagerstrom; 07-28-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Stan Fagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement