Coho forecast. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 02-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
[email protected]
Tuna!

Default Coho forecast.

I Heard some positive news in regards to CR coho. 900,000 sounds alright to me between the early and late runs. Hopefully it’s a upward trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derrick454@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
fishnhunt13
Chromer

Default Re: Coho forecast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I Heard some positive news in regards to CR coho. 900,000 sounds alright to me between the early and late runs. Hopefully it’s a upward trend.

Source? I'd be great if it happened. Although my anonymous source said it would be closer to 2 million.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
fishnhunt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
[email protected]
Tuna!

Source is the local charter fleet chat. I’m not a charter operator but have friends that are and I hear from them. I have figures but I don’t want to post since I don’t really have permission but it should be available soon.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #4
Big Game Fishing

I haven't seen any hard numbers on paper yet, but this rumor has been circulating for a couple months.

I hope we get a ton of coho, we're gonna need them to make up for the absent Chinook.

Last I heard nobody was really sure how exactly to model the coho abundance. As I understand it, Jack numbers weren't amazing, but ocean abundance testing was.

I'll take anything over 500k coho at this point, we need something to fish for.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
OregonSteel
Tuna!

3 fish limits in September/October with no one around except seals and humpback whales! I miss those days, hope they come back.
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:55 AM   #6
[email protected]
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonSteel View Post
3 fish limits in September/October with no one around except seals and humpback whales! I miss those days, hope they come back.

Yep yep. Those Estuary coho are pretty fun and great to eat. Triples are not uncommon. Looking forward to backtrolling a hard flood near the wing dams in the near future!

Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 AM   #7
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

I am a bit curious as to this years chinook, last year there were an unusual amount of small , next year chinooks being caught (2019 fish), being caught offshore.
This continued all thru silver season, it was not just a few fish grouped up.

There was a lot of talk on the radio about them, with folks releasing a couple to a half dozen a day. We will learn soon enough...

I never fished the Yaquina Bay last year (didn’t need anymore salmon) and, reports from friends were less than stellar for chinooks, but they said it was one of the best coho years they could remember, and they were big healthy fish. Everyday someone was calling to say they released and 6 to 9 silvers.

Fingers crossed.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #8
hoghauler
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wak'm&stak'm View Post
I am a bit curious as to this years chinook, last year there were an unusual amount of small , next year chinooks being caught (2019 fish), being caught offshore.
This continued all thru silver season, it was not just a few fish grouped up.

There was a lot of talk on the radio about them, with folks releasing a couple to a half dozen a day. We will learn soon enough...

I never fished the Yaquina Bay last year (didn’t need anymore salmon) and, reports from friends were less than stellar for chinooks, but they said it was one of the best coho years they could remember, and they were big healthy fish. Everyday someone was calling to say they released and 6 to 9 silvers.

Fingers crossed.

Yup, we caught quite a few of those short nooks last year out of newport, hopefully there are a lot of them that have grown bigger this year. If it proves to be a better year than last year for coho--- its gonna be GOOD.
hoghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
Flatfish
King Salmon

I hope your right.

Given the steelhead returns, I aint gonna hold my breath. I cannot remember ever seeing a bad steelie year when we had a good/great coho year.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
Chum King
Chromer

The Oregon Production Index Technical Team met on Wednesday, February 6. The resulting coho evaluation of the 2018 estimates and the forecast for 2019 are:

Last edited by Chum King; 02-08-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Chum King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Troutman
Coho

I've been hearing the rumors for a month or so now and it's nice to see some actual numbers. Should be fun year for Coho!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
builder
Tuna!

I will be thrilled if we end up getting anywhere close to those numbers. It could be an awesome summer if the fish actually show up and the ocean decides to cooperate on the weekends. I love those red hot double & triple header coho bites where you limit the boat in an hour then play with the lings and rockfish for a few hours and hit the dock before the afternoon wind hits.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
B. Coastal
Steelhead

Cool. Nice to see some good news for a change. Let's hope it pans out.

BC

B. Coastal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #14
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chum King View Post
The Oregon Production Index Technical Team met on Wednesday, February 6. The resulting coho evaluation of the 2018 estimates and the forecast for 2019 are:

I'd be cautious about that "Orygun Million" forecast.

Looking at those numbers the DFW's overforecast by a factor 2-fold for CR in 2018 but just the opposite for OR coastal stocks which came in much stronger than forecast. WA coast coho (not in the table) came in WAY below predictions in 2018.

Put it all together, and it tells me the north migrating stocks got pummeled by the Blob/PDO while southern stocks fared much better than expected. The North Pacific ocean conditions have improved a bit, but we had the Son of Blob last fall, so I believe the northern stocks could still be in trouble.

The last decent forecast of CR coho was in 2015 when they predicted 777K but we got only 242K back. Yeah, I know.... KILLJOY!

The last "Orygun million" CR coho run was in 2014. It was actually 1.2 million, the result of good juvenile recruitment swimming into a GREAT ocean the spring of 2013 BEFORE the PDO flipped to salmon-hostile mode in 2014.

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #15
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
I hope your right.

Given the steelhead returns, I aint gonna hold my breath. I cannot remember ever seeing a bad steelie year when we had a good/great coho year.

Amazing how astute you can be WITHOUT data.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 02-08-2019, 12:44 PM   #16
No Reservations
Tuna!

Default Coho forecast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post

That data you speak of is always right on the mark isn’t it?

We actually had a great season out of Newport for coho last year!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by No Reservations; 02-08-2019 at 12:45 PM.
No Reservations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
Josh Fisherman
Tuna!

I hope it’s true, we had 2.5 weeks of excellent coho fishing out of PC last year and then they were gone. Went North to the Columbia very few local salmon though.
Learned #71 "Fish Whistle"

Traditional Dory Experience Provider
Josh Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #18
CKthumper
Sturgeon

Even if the forecast IS high by two fold, returns would be three fold last year's actual.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #19
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
I really do hope I'm wrong.

Not saying it can't happen. Just saying my memory bank don't put a bad steelie run and a good silver return in the same year.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Old 02-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #20
eyeFISH
King Salmon

That comes from a lifetime of astute on-the-water observations as an angler to make valid intuitive predictions going forward.

Something boots-on-the-ground folks seem to grasp... but the number crunchers stuck in their cubicles that seldom venture afield, well... not so much.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:56 PM   #21
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I always thought the small Chinook caught outside CR were jacks because the feeder chinook live much farther north like SE AK. How can they be two places at once? The only explanation I could come up with is they are not CR fish.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #22
Flatfish
King Salmon

Unlike the boots on the ground folks, I aint in the business of selling licenses and tags. If I was, I sure as hell wouldn't state in public that this year is gonna suck across the board.

Again- I hope they are right. But wouldn't blink if it only comes 1/3 of pre season estimate. Uber warm waters, low flows, poor ocean conditions. All the indicators point to working on the golf game instead of fishing.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 PM   #23
Big Game Fishing

There's been a couple times that the coho run has been surprisingly good out of nowhere while everything else was down.

I was hoping 2018 was gonna be one of those years, it was looking good in late July and early August just off the CR mouth, but never materialized in river.

Even if this prediction is off by half, we will have some phenomenal coho fishing.

I've got a killer case of red label ready to go, about 400 new 3.5 spinner blades, and a great lineup of hootchies ready to go.

Bring on summer.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

BGF: Primed and ready. Now it’s up to the fish.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #25
eyeFISH
King Salmon

My confidence that the impending Orygun Million Coho actually WILL return to the big river this summer is definitely buoyed up by this report

https://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/research/...n-sampling.cfm

Long Live the Kings!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:15 PM   #26
Tynmon
Steelhead

I will say thay ODFW typically under forcasts and under counts coho roughly by 25%

Keep in mind NOT recovering coho for ODFW means justifying 60 seasonal positions which that generate 2k month from every individual and 3 full-time staff positions.

They have a great way to randomly enumerate coho but in no way are the numbers consistently accurate due to the idea that new random survey sections are generated each year. Coho sent randomly found in watersheds... just saying.
Tynmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 AM   #27
fishnhunt13
Chromer

Quote:
My confidence that the impending Orygun Million Coho actually WILL return to the big river this summer is definitely buoyed up by this report

June 2018 catches of subyearling and mixed-age juvenile Chinook and coho salmon were on the high side, whereas catches of yearling Chinook salmon were lower than average. Subyearling Chinook salmon catch were the 5th highest of the 21 years, yearling Chinook salmon were ranked 14th, yearling coho salmon were the 2nd highest catches, and mixed-age juvenile Chinook salmon were the 4th*highest of the 21 June survey catches.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
fishnhunt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:10 PM   #28
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

I'd be THRILLED with putting Coho in the freezer. My Q is simply one of my own lack of knowledge... what made this years coho better or different than last years and why didn't Chinook increase like this forecast spills/spells out.
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #29
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:

Can you explain why this chart means good fishing this year? I would have guessed that the big coho spike in 2018 would mean better fishing a few years from now rather than this year, but I don't know how long coho are at sea nor if yearling means coming home next year.

It may not be a good indicator but the crazy good run up the Willamette was in 2013 which has a big yearling spike in the above chart. I have no idea if that means anything.

Any elucidation would be appreciated.

skunk is a fly, not an event

Last edited by rollcast; 02-26-2019 at 02:25 PM.
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #30
C-Lark
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollcast View Post
Can you explain why this chart means good fishing this year? I would have guessed that the big coho spike in 2018 would mean better fishing a few years from now rather than this year, but I don't know how long coho are at sea nor if yearling means coming home next year.

It may not be a good indicator but the crazy good run up the Willamette was in 2013 which has a big yearling spike in the above chart. I have no idea if that means anything.

I'm looking at the 2016 bar on the chart. Those fish would be showing up this Fall. Looks like a good year.
C-Lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #31
Stalmass
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollcast View Post

Coho generally spend one year in the salt so those fish sampled this past summer in the ocean will be coming to freshwater this fall. Look at the spike on the graph for 2013 and 2014 was spectacular Coho fishing!
Stalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #32
DogZilla15
King Salmon

You mean, a six pound Silver is the same age as a 15 lb brute?
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 AM   #33
OregonSteel
Tuna!

'09 and '14 we're the best coho years in recent memory. Both have a spike the year prior. If you recall, '09 had a million coho to the CR mouth, and 600k + steelhead over Bonneville. An incredible year!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #34
Stalmass
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
You mean, a six pound Silver is the same age as a 15 lb brute?

Possibly...it's all about the food. When hatcheries release Coho in the spring they are expected back the following fall. I don't know about wild fish, but would assume it is similar. Not all smolts get to the salt at the same time so the early arrivals have more time to eat and grow.
Stalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #35
Hockinson man
Tuna!

My hunch is good. Last year the grade of fish were very nice early. Every time this happens we see great returns and an upswing. I think the ocean is going to produce more fish.
My only concern is up north. Alaska does a major number on the CR fish. Hopefully it's a great season and a freeze full of orange fillets.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #36
CKthumper
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalmass View Post
Possibly...it's all about the food. When hatcheries release Coho in the spring they are expected back the following fall. I don't know about wild fish, but would assume it is similar. Not all smolts get to the salt at the same time so the early arrivals have more time to eat and grow.

Almost certainly. Smolts released in spring 2018 returned as jacks in fall of '18 and will return as adults in '19. I've not heard of Coho spending three summers at sea.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #37
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKthumper View Post
Almost certainly. Smolts released in spring 2018 returned as jacks in fall of '18 and will return as adults in '19. I've not heard of Coho spending three summers at sea.
Native fish spend a year in the fresh water, that is why river habitat is so important.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:02 AM   #38
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Time to get ready for HANGBACK SPOONIN' for the 2019 COHO-palooza....

https://www.ifish.net/board/showpost...0&postcount=13

Long Live the Kings!
Old 02-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #39
WSU
Ifish Nate

Does anyone know where I can find the coho forecasts for the Columbia tribs? All I can find is the aggregate Columbia forecast numbers.
WSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:59 AM   #40
tysdad
Tuna!

Quote:

https://www.ifish.net/board/showpost...0&postcount=13
🙄
tysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #41
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Doc: I have an assortment of those little gems. They worked in AK, they’ll work here. ‘Nooks like ‘em too.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #42
fishingfrenzy
Steelhead

[QUOTE=eyeFISH;15943689]Time to get ready for HANGBACK SPOONIN' for the 2019 COHO-palooza....

What do you put in front of those? Ive never seen these!
fishingfrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #43
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #44
OregonSteel
Tuna!

[quote=fishingfrenzy;15951667]
Quote:

What do you put in front of those? Ive never seen these!

Looks like a Tom mack, (Luhr Jensen) I got loads of them. Never seen one painted though.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #45
Big Game Fishing

Spoons are under utilized in the B10 fishery, especially when coho are around.

I buy bulk commercial spoons from Englunds, catch lots of fish on em. When coho are thick you can lose those flashers and crush fish on just a spoon bare on a 4 foot leader.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:59 AM   #46
flyjunky
Chromer

Eyefish and Flatfish,

If a bad steelhead year and great coho year rarely happens, and with this year's coho looking promising does that mean this years steelhead will be better as well?

Has anyone seen any steelhead forecasts?
flyjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 AM   #47
DogZilla15
King Salmon

BGF: That's where I get 'em, great assortment. I know some of you have an aversion about going into Englunds but sometimes ya gotta get over that because the store has the goods.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #48
Flatfish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyjunky View Post
Eyefish and Flatfish,

If a bad steelhead year and great coho year rarely happens, and with this year's coho looking promising does that mean this years steelhead will be better as well?

Has anyone seen any steelhead forecasts?
I'll tell you the answer to that in December.

I hope all runs are strong.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:43 AM   #49
Big Game Fishing

Quote:
BGF: That's where I get 'em, great assortment. I know some of you have an aversion about going into Englunds but sometimes ya gotta get over that because the store has the goods.
Yep.

The great thing about spoons and single hooks in a hot coho bite is how fast you can remove hooks and get gear fishing again. Also, the fish never seem to inhale the lure, so wounds to released fish are almost never mortal.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #50
DogZilla15
King Salmon

For sure. Fiddling with tackle and fish on the boat is another violation of rule number one. No fiddling if you don’t have bait in the water.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #51
Wreckless
King Salmon

Quote:
I just scrounged around in my dad and grandpa's tackle box and dug out some old McMahon's, Andy Reekers, Freaks and Canadian Wonders. They polished up GREAT!

I will admit I hit Englund's and bought a couple of the round pink with red dot spoons that for some reason REALLY seem to work on Cohos.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #52
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
Yep.

The great thing about spoons and single hooks in a hot coho bite is how fast you can remove hooks and get gear fishing again. Also, the fish never seem to inhale the lure, so wounds to released fish are almost never mortal.

Brings to mind a HOT coho bite fishing with Katosan back in 2009. I was literally flip-casting a hangback spoon about a wingspan behind a small EZ-diver just beyond the propwash. The diver would bite into the water to load the rod, and just as it dove out of sight.... rod-down! We would slowly tow the coho to the boat with the motor still in gear at troll speed.... tip held low, grab the leader skybuster style, and lift the fish to check for a fin.

Fin: Back to the water it went for a quick no-touch dehooking. GONZO!

No fin: Keep lifting the fish in one continuous motion onto the deck for a dose of wood shampoo and quick de-hooking. AHFMD!

Then flip-cast the whole works right back into the propwash.

Total elapsed time from hookup to land... to dehook/bonk... to flipping the goods back out for re-deployment was about 30 seconds! Quicker than it took me to type this paragraph!

Talk about whackin'N'stackin!

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #53
BDog Fisher
Coho

Quote:
Hey Doc not to derail the thread but what make is that spoon? I have one like that has green, yellow and glow strip. Purchased from Cabelas I think. Want to order more but forget the name. It killed for chinook last summer

Also hope all these coho come play off Vancouver Island this summer like last year

Last edited by BDog Fisher; 03-08-2019 at 07:17 PM.
BDog Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #54
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Ya mean this one?

NorthPointNailer

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #55
BDog Fisher
Coho

Quote:
Ya mean this one?

NorthPointNailer
Yes that is the one!!!! Thanks a bunch. Where is the best place to buy online?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #56
oregonmuley
Ifish Nate

Smile Re: Coho forecast.

And if you don't mind my asking what size is that?? I went to their website and they have several sizes. I have a friend coming all the way from Wyoming in August to go salmon fishing so I want to be able to throw everything I can at the coho in hopes he actually catches something since I'm hardly the best salmon fisherman These do look like they could be a good thing to try

Rather hunt mule deer than do just about anything else......

"Team 7MM-08"
oregonmuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #57
BDog Fisher
Coho

Looks like a size 5
Old 03-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #58
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmuley View Post
And if you don't mind my asking what size is that?? I went to their website and they have several sizes.
The back of the green one is stamped NP3

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #59
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Oh and BTW... coho aren't the only ones that like 'em.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #60
oregonmuley
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDog Fisher View Post
Yes that is the one!!!! Thanks a bunch. Where is the best place to buy online?
Quote:
The back of the green one is stamped NP3

Thank you - much appreciated.

Rather hunt mule deer than do just about anything else......

"Team 7MM-08"
oregonmuley is offline   Reply With Quote