WANTED: Wind River fishermen/woman - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Ifish 2001 archives

Old 01-04-2001, 05:24 PM   #1
B. Gray

Default WANTED: Wind River fishermen/woman

Yes, we're in the middle of steelhead season so why would anyone be thinking about the Wind? I'm writing an article about the Wind River fishery for a Northwest fishing magazine to be published in the "Springer" April/May issue. Deadlines are always very early for magazines.

Anyway, I'm very interested in talking with folks who brave this madhouse every year either out in the armada or from the bank.

Last spring I was down there in one of the bigger boats on the water and I'm interested in talking with those of you who do it in driftboats and especially any of you out there in the prams and dinghies.

My email is available from my profile ([email protected]). Just drop me a line and I'll get in touch with you as soon as possible although it won't be on weekends. I'll be fishing.

Thanks for your help. No, I'm not a regular contributor to this board but I lurk here quite a bit and post a lot on another Washington-based board.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Bruce Gray

BTW - I've heard it could be a HUGE run of springers up the Columbia this year.

[This message has been edited by B. Gray (edited 01-04-2001).]

B. Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2001, 07:24 PM   #2
whitewaterbill
Chromer

Default Re: WANTED: Wind River fishermen/woman

Hi B.Gray
You need to know...the wind is a tough fishery for several reasons. The weather is normally bad with wind and rain and big water to contend with. this makes fishing very uncomfortable even on a good day. The last few years it has been overcrowded beyond description with poor catch and when the wind blows it is a nightmare for the crowds of people that show up for this very poor and overcrowded fishery. Small boats are a great hazzard and should not fish here unless conditions are perfect. I wish I could give better news....but It is a total nightmare for crowds and angry fishermen!

Bill
Ifish Member #148
whitewaterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 08:20 PM   #3
shureskunk

Yes, Like you, Slutgoddess, I have a tough time fishing that crowded area.
Hopefully, the fishery allocation gods will give us some Columbia time so we won't be all smashed together in that little battle zone for all these projected hatchery fish. Iím sure all of you have contacted the allocation gods as RT has suggested??
SSK
shureskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 11:46 PM   #4
Deleted User

Hi Bruce, how ya been. Glad to have someone with your rich knowledge base join the Ifish BB. ...

As for your proposed article, boy you sure chose to bite off a big chunk of controversy for an article. This will make your excellant previous article a joy task by comparison. In addition to the aversion you read into the above replies, go read the Wind River Launch thread posts on here to get a feel for what this fishery has become. I have fished it from the early stages with our member Salmon Shark. Back in the 80's my favorite days were on Thursdays because it was open from Thur. thru Sun., allowing a buildup of fish for near guaranteed HOT fishing day on Thur. Of course we had to get up about 1:30 a.m. in the Metro area to get there in time to be within a half mile of the ramp in the long launch line. If the weather wasn't too bad we often would launch the night before and sleep in the sled (I don't think they allow that anymore?). After they opened it up to fishing 7 days a week it got to the point that I no longer desired to go that early, that far, into that tense of a situation to fish when it was no longer as hot as the 'Big Thursdays', so I stayed with the Willamette and Clackamas River fishing. ...

With the Willamette springer restrictions the past few years I have started going up to fish occassionally at the mouth of the Wind again. While I'm sure an article about this fishery will be unpopular with guys who fish this way overcrowded fishery (at least when the fish are there), the echos of semi-chaos you are hearing aren't much exagerated. It is a cluster f***! With a lot of guys that don't have a clue how to avoid playing bumper boats, or how far their lines are out on turns. Perhaps an article could bring even more crowds to this fishery, but there is no more room anyway. It may just bring cause for an even/odd day fishing scheme, according to an even/odd birthday? ...

As for techs, most things that work in the Willamette will work for this fishery. Most are aware that, perhaps more than any other fishery, this one has a 'star' performing lure - the trolled flame red Mag Wart. Guys even cast and retrieve them off the bank over using spinners! I have a sneaking suspicion that Storm Lures is behind a clandestine operation of 'training' the Wind springer smolts to grab a feed pellet off of retrieved 1/4" mini replicas of an orange Wiggle Wart . That's partly why this is such a crowded fishery; the fish are easy to catch there for anyone. The challenge is to make it a tollerable experience. Salmon Shark and I came up with a pretty good solution last spring, but I can't write about it . - RT

Old 01-05-2001, 12:23 AM   #5
rob allen
King Salmon

Please go single barbless guys!!!!
Wind river wild steelhead will be there at the same time as the spring chinook and they are at desperatly low levels. Water temps get lethal in the columbia at times please do not fish then! I really think that this fishery as well asthe fishery at drano lake should not exsist but in leiu of that please fish responsibly!!!
Old 01-05-2001, 12:37 AM   #6
Deleted User

Rob, this fishery is during the the Columbia spring runoff (closes on May 31st), and the water temps aren't a problem. As for the very rarely hooked native steelhead during this fishery, they must be released properly.
Old 01-05-2001, 11:25 AM   #7
B. Gray

Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses both here and on email. Believe me, I've fished it and I know this is a nuthouse and the piece I'm doing won't be glossing over that fact. We camped down there and were up at 3:00 a.m. every morning to get my friend's freighter (21' Tiderunner) in the water along with a few hundred other folks. If anything, this place is more of a spectacle akin to the running of the bulls than a real sport fishery.

RT, sounds like you were one of the smart guys we saw last year with a good depth finder and the smarts to stay outside the carosel. Also, thanks for the warm welcome although I don't know if I fit that description. I'm just always looking for ways to endulge my fishing habits.

Tight lines,
Bruce

[This message has been edited by B. Gray (edited 01-05-2001).]
B. Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 01:31 PM   #8
Hottamale1
Chromer

This is Beautiful....I truly think this will make for one of the Better Hot Tamale Episodes. Maybe I'll just stand around the dock and videotape the Loading Chaos that takes place at 3:00 AM....

What do you think RT???? Maybe this will be the "kick-Off" to what you and I have been discussing lately.

Scott
Hottamale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2001, 03:28 PM   #9
Deleted User

Hi Scott.

That place will definitely be one of the better places to try some of the gags. I've had a case of the Real McCoy flu since New Year's (no, not a pro-longed hangover ); and it's been nasty enough to keep me from even thinking about fishing; taking it's sweet time leaving the scene too . As soon as able let's get together Scott. - RT