Drift Boat Refurbish - Bottom: epoxy, Interior: truck bed-liner, Trailer: new roller - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
BigEars
Tuna!

Lightbulb Drift Boat Refurbish - Bottom: epoxy, Interior: truck bed-liner, Trailer: new roller

Hey ifish.

Here's a little recap of what I did when refurbishing my boat, in the effort that perhaps it could help someone in the future.

Bottom: Epoxy coating

Place your boat upside down on a hard surface that you can make quite a mess on. My driveway was a great spot on a day that my wife had to work and I didn't. The yard after all of this process had dust all over.
Scrape off the old epoxy coating that is easily removed with a putty knife.

Using a grinder with a 60 grit sandpaper wheel, grind down the remaining epoxy to make smooth transitions between non-epoxy surface and epoxy surface. i recommend roughing up the entire surface that will be re-epoxy coated. (observe all safety precautions when doing this in regards to epoxy particals and using a grinding wheel)

clean off all dust and remaining epoxy using a blower and then a cleaning agent and as minimal water as possible. High pressure air works, so does a leaf blower, but don't forget to actually wipe down the surface with a damp cloth to remove fine dust. We avoided water to ensure that the epoxy would cure as well as possilbe to the surface.

Now move the boat into an area like a garage or work shop that you can keep normalized temperature (60-75*F).

Mix up your 2 part epoxy. This stuff was the consistancy of molassas, so there was no wait time. Can said I had 30 minutes to apply the mix, but was spreadable for about 4 hours. (WELL VENTILATED AREA).

Spread on the epoxy evenly to the bottom of the boat. In areas that you see that there is more needed, simply gather it up in that area. Mine was moving very slowly for about 4 hours and then started to harden. It acts just like thick syrup (molasses). Check on it for the first few hours (up to 6?) to make sure it is not running down on the edges.

Clean up any epoxy that is in placed that it shouldn't be with some kind of solvent cleaner. I used Goof Off. If the epoxy needs to be adjusted, feel free to even it out for the next couple hours.

I balanced my boat on some objects in the garage to make sure that it was up-side-down exactly while the epoxy cured. It had a tendancy to run all to one side (very slowly) if I left it tilted at all to either side.

Monitor the temperature of the room. Should stay around 60-75* to achieve a good epoxy cure.

In 2-3 days you can feel free to turn the boat back over so that you can work on the interior of the boat.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________
Interior: Truck Bed-liner

Sand and scrape the existing floor area that is not covered with diamond plating. Then vacuum up the dust and debris.

Mask off the entire area so that it will be ready for primer and truck-bed liner.

Apply primer to the paint that will not remove eaisly and allow to dry for about 12-24 hours.

After primer is fully dry, apply truck bed-liner material with a roller or brush. I applied mine with a short bristled brush and placed first coat lenthwise with the boat and second coat perpendicular to the first coat. After both coats were applied, the lines showing how material was applied went away. Let this material dry for about 2 hours befor next step.

The truck bed-liner should be dry to the touch when removing the masking tape and the newspapers, but you don't want it to be so dry that the tape will not remove eaisly.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
Trailer: New Roller
Lastly, there was an issue with the roller bar at the back end of my trailer...

Roller pipe had no bearings left. They were working as pins direct to the extirior roller, and rusted all up.

I took a hack saw and cut off the old stuff.

After doing a bit of questioning to people that know much more about this sort of stuff than I do, I had my buddy make me two stainless steel brackets with stainless 3" rods welded on itand a piece of stainless steel pipe with UHMW inserts on the ends to act as roller bearings for the pipe to rods.
Tapped some holes for the bolts to hold it on...

It works like a charm!

Here are the components that I used on the surfaces of the boat (for reference).

READY TO ROW.
JUST ADD FISH.

*Disclaimer: I am NOT a professional at doing this, I just thought it might be nice for someone to see this and know that it is not that complicated. I just took me about 1 week (while still going to work each day) to get all of this completed (Started on Sunday and completed it all by Saturday).

Last edited by BigEars; 11-26-2013 at 08:57 AM.
BigEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
fop
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Drift Boat Refurbish - Bottom: epoxy, Interior: truck bed-liner, Trailer: new rol

Very nice. I have also done to a couple boats about the same process. It is fun to get it done and just isn't that tough to do. Just takes a little time.

You did a nice pictorial of your work.

fop
Old 11-21-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
bradly11
King Salmon

Default Re: Drift Boat Refurbish - Bottom: epoxy, Interior: truck bed-liner, Trailer: new rol

Very cool
bradly11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Tanner
Sturgeon

Nice work. Mine is due for some of that love this summer.

I would be curious to see how the UHMW holds up on your trailer roller bar.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
the flyman
Chromer

It is hard work, but very satisfying. Nice job!
the flyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
110% Siwash
Coho

Cool pictures of the process; thanks for sharing.
110% Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
100% Siwash has a birthday 100% Siwash
Ifish Nate

Looks good- There is a product out there called UPOL Raptor Tintable liner and it comes in a kit with a Shutz gun. Easy to use and better for Marine applications. Has UV protection and is tough as nails. The stuff is fool proof. If you are interested in painting the interior of the boat consider this stuff and you will not Be dissapointed.

110$ shipped to your door!
100% Siwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Very nice job, love seeing projects on here!

Curious about the herculiner and primer for it, I've never used it. I assume it calls for a primer? And would a self etching primer be better for long term adhesion to aluminum? Since you sanded and primered right away it probably doesn't matter much.

Thanks for the write up and sharing. I really like seeing these projects.
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
BigEars
Tuna!

Tanner:
After asking my wife what she though (as she works for a major industrial machine making company) she found an interesting idea on the inernet about using UHMW for the bearing on the back roller of a drift boat trailer. I work in an industrial food proceesing environment and our maintenance manager designed the UHMW roller bearings for my boat. He says that UHMW has very strong load-bearing capabilities. Cool thing about it is that I can take it off now and replace the UHMW inserts pretty easily (hopefully not in the next 10 years!).

100% Siwash:
I was looking for something just a bit more agressive in texture than just textured paint, but something smooth enough that would be able to be washed down. I found it! The price point of this truck bed-liner was perfect, too. $30! and I still have about 1/2 left to use somewhere else!

Quiet:
I called the manufacturers of the Herculiner and they said absolutely sand and primer the area with bare aluminum. I am curious, too as to how it will hold up. So far, so good. Just keep the studded boots out of the boat!

Thanks everyone. It's gonna be nice to get her out and fish. Hopefully I don't hit every rock in the river.

Last edited by BigEars; 11-26-2013 at 08:56 AM.
BigEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Tanner
Sturgeon

Thanks for the reply. I am probably replacing my roller this year. I think the UHMW bearings are a great idea. Probably a lot quieter than what I have now.

Tanner
Old 11-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
BigEars
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am probably replacing my roller this year. I think the UHMW bearings are a great idea. Probably a lot quieter than what I have now.

Tanner
And they really don't need lubrication, at all.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
BigEars
Tuna!

Latest update:

After a couple outings, the floor board is looking great! Notice in the picture how the surface is actually somewhat water resistant.

The epoxy coating on the bottom sure did get a work out. Let's just say that my fishing skills are MUCH better than my river running skills with the DB. Quite a few scratches, but nothing that it couldn't handle.

Oh, and BTW, that roller works so nice. it rolls 100% silent and has just enough resistance so that the boat isn't moving when it is in the "drain out" position (nose up, butt down).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131123-00051.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	107561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131123-00053.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	107569  
Old 11-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
edsr
Ifish Nate

Great job, looks better than new.

It might just be the picture angle but the roller bracket appears to protrude above the roller. It can scratch the bottom if the boat gets sideways when you load it in a swift current. Two minutes with a grinder or ten with a file to have the roller above the bracket will take care of it. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
BigEars
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsr View Post
Great job, looks better than new.

It might just be the picture angle but the roller bracket appears to protrude above the roller. It can scratch the bottom if the boat gets sideways when you load it in a swift current. Two minutes with a grinder or ten with a file to have the roller above the bracket will take care of it. Don't ask me how I know this.
Very good point.
I actually discussed this with my buddy that made the brackets and we talked about having them cut off. I guess things don't always go as designed. I'm going to take your advice and grind them down, though. I think 1/4 inch clearance (from the outside of the bracket to the outermost portion of the roller) should be sufficent.

Thank you, edsr!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

Great job. One tip the next time you do the bottom, and heat gun and scraper (keep the bevel DOWN) and you'll peel that epoxy off with a minimal effort. You'll be down to bare metal with about an hour or two of work and no nasty grinding.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Rusty Stern
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by James in Idaho View Post
Great job. One tip the next time you do the bottom, and heat gun and scraper (keep the bevel DOWN) and you'll peel that epoxy off with a minimal effort. You'll be down to bare metal with about an hour or two of work and no nasty grinding.
I used paint stripper on my hard spots. And I used an acetone to prep the bare surface.
Rusty Stern is offline   Reply With Quote