Prostate health - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 06-26-2019, 06:14 AM   #1
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Default Prostate health

I feel kind of funny putting this out there but I know others are dealing with it and am looking for some input.

Ive been trying a prostate med for swollen prostate, and although it helps the side effects suck. I quite taking the meds the other day because the side effects are worse than the symptoms they are treating. Saw palmetto is probably the most common natural supplement. But from what I have read it is no better than a placebo. Wondering what some of you might be using and does it work? How well? How long to see a difference?

I'll be talking to my doctor soon to see what he thinks. But am interested in any input in the meantime.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 06:29 AM   #2
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Default Re: Prostate health

I've been on 8 mg of doxazosin (generic for Cardura) for years and it made a huge difference. No serious side effects that I'm aware of.
Good luck. BPH can lead to some very inconvenient and embarrassing situations. Been there, done that.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
CGRFish
Tuna!

I dealt with it for years. Various medicines didn’t really have a noticeable benefit, but the side effects were definately noticeable, and just not fun. A year and a half ago I had a new procedure called a urolift done, and the difference is significant. No more meds, and pee like I did twenty years ago. Procedure was in and out one one day, and has been great for me. Best part, no side effects from the meds
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #4
1pump
King Salmon

I had symptoms that were classic BPH. Just yesterday my urologist confirmed that it isn't, after two ultrasounds and an MRI. The bad news is that I still don't know what's causing it, so next stop is a neurosurgeon.

Tip for those who think they might have a prostate issue- get a female urologist with tiny hands, like mine. Makes the "digital" exam much easier.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Joe C
King Salmon

Raw pumpkin seeds, drink lots of water. No alcohol. No caffeine.

Not sure which one helped the most, but I made those lifestyle changes about a year ago and I'm not getting up to pee over and over in the night anymore.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
Williams
Ifish Nate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #7
Old Coot
Ifish Nate

Alfuzosin.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
kigercreek
Tuna!

Location: Land of Sage and Juniper, but sometimes in the Banana Belt by the Sea

Been taking tamsulosin (Flomax) twice a day for about a year, and recently added finasteride to the mix. Definitely a significant improvement, but not 100%. Thankfully, no side affects to date. Have had 2 sets of MRI's and 2 sets of biopsies due to the very elevated PSA, and have seen 3 urologists over the past 5 years. Appears I am one with elevated numbers, along with the enlarged prostate. The joys of getting older....

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun"
kigercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Oooh! Let's all go for a bike ride on a 1960s 10-speed!

Old 06-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #10
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
Been taking tamsulosin (Flomax) twice a day for about a year, and recently added finasteride to the mix. Definitely a significant improvement, but not 100%.
Me as well, but only once a day. I have some side effects, mostly dizziness. Almost went down on my face the first day.

It's ironic, because three months ago I decided to take my health more seriously after years of warnings from every doctor that took a look at me. Changed my diet radically and lost 35 lbs so far. And then I start falling apart at the seams. Bladder, liver, pancreas, back, neck, etc are all rebelling against years of mistreatment. It could always be worse, though.

Quote:
I feel kind of funny putting this out there but I know others are dealing with it and am looking for some input.
Don't feel funny about it. We're all bros here on ifish (I say bros because females don't have prostates). IMHO, people should be more forthcoming about issues like this. Dr. Q.T. Pie, my young female urologist, was a bit surprised that I didn't even blink when she asked potentially embarrassing questions. She has to pry it out of some people. I'm usually guilty of TMI.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
Sneaker
Chromer

I’m a new guy here, but I just want to say that I’m impressed by the helpful attitude of this board.
Sneaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
steve-o
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
I had symptoms that were classic BPH. Just yesterday my urologist confirmed that it isn't, after two ultrasounds and an MRI. The bad news is that I still don't know what's causing it, so next stop is a neurosurgeon.

Tip for those who think they might have a prostate issue- get a female urologist with tiny hands, like mine. Makes the "digital" exam much easier.

Not true. My father in law had that same thoughts. Although his female doctor had small hands.....(fingers). They were not “long” enough to properly get to the prostate for a proper exam. And he had prostate issues that could have been prevented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 07:59 PM   #13
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigercreek View Post
Been taking tamsulosin (Flomax) twice a day for about a year, and recently added finasteride to the mix. Definitely a significant improvement, but not 100%. Thankfully, no side affects to date. Have had 2 sets of MRI's and 2 sets of biopsies due to the very elevated PSA, and have seen 3 urologists over the past 5 years. Appears I am one with elevated numbers, along with the enlarged prostate. The joys of getting older....
Ive been taking .4 mg after dinner. It took a few days but helped a fair amount. The downside was I think I had every side affect listed. The fatigue and swollen sinuses was really bad. Some of the symptoms eased after about 8 or 10 days but not enough to make it worthwhile to me. I have another Dr. apt Monday. Hopefully we can try something else. I am going to ask about natural remedies too though.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 PM   #14
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Sorry to sidetrack but for those with prostate issues, do you mind answering if you are clipped? All of my buds with prostate issues are and those older gents that aren't clipped don't seem to have any issues. Just curious and best of luck to you guys affected.
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:36 PM   #15
kigercreek
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Sorry to sidetrack but for those with prostate issues, do you mind answering if you are clipped? All of my buds with prostate issues are and those older gents that aren't clipped don't seem to have any issues. Just curious and best of luck to you guys affected.
Nope, not clipped.

HntnFsh - I should say that I have had some of the sinus issues, right at bedtime, but doesn't seem to last too long....not enough to have me back off of it. But it has been noticeable at times.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:47 AM   #16
sadiesassy
King Salmon

I talked to the doc on medications and he said each person is different and the solution for each type of prostate issue is different. But he recommended surgery and that took care of it.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #17
salmo_g
Tuna!

I'm 70 and take no prescription medicines. And I'd like to keep it that way. However, the enlarged prostate is definitely a bother. Some times I have to get up as many as 3 times a night to urinate, but usually only once. Might have to choose between medicine side effects or prostate effects at some point.
salmo_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #18
FishinTechnician
Tuna!

I have been using prescribed drugs for almost 20 yrs with less than stellar results. Upped the dosage and couldn't handle the side effects. Now I read that Flomax has been connected to Alzheimer's. I'm now scheduled for the Urolyft procedure early next month. I'll let you know how that goes. The preliminary procedure to decide whether I was a candidate was similar to the actual procedure and wasn't to bad.
FishinTechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:03 AM   #19
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Fishin, had not heard about this. You are right about tamsulosin/Flomax. The risk does not seem higher for those with BPH taking several of the other drugs, such as the doxazosin I take, thank gosh.

https://www.neurologyadvisor.com/top...ents-with-bph/
Old 06-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #20
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinTechnician View Post
I have been using prescribed drugs for almost 20 yrs with less than stellar results. Upped the dosage and couldn't handle the side effects. Now I read that Flomax has been connected to Alzheimer's. I'm now scheduled for the Urolyft procedure early next month. I'll let you know how that goes. The preliminary procedure to decide whether I was a candidate was similar to the actual procedure and wasn't to bad.
Been doing some reading on this since you posted it. Very interesting. I will get my drs. Thoughts on it Monday.
Old 06-29-2019, 10:22 AM   #21
Sneaker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HntnFsh View Post
Been doing some reading on this since you posted it. Very interesting. I will get my drs. Thoughts on it Monday.
Make sure he isn’t in a pharma company’s pocket.
Sneaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:14 PM   #22
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
Make sure he isn’t in a pharma company’s pocket.
Fortunately hes not just my Dr. But I also consider him a friend. He does not let others influence him.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #23
Joe Schwab
King Salmon

I have been dealing with prostate and extended cancer issues, metastacised bone cancer, for over 12 years now. Had the radical surgery, radiation, lupron treatment, now on huge dose of Xtandi that costs the insurance company 9K a month! Hope they don’t get tired of the cost! It has spread to the arms and shoulders and is painful at times. CBD salve helps tremendously. 3 times I have been informed I had days to live and each time it was false alarm. I know what that feels like and it isn’t good! Whatever comes now, I’m 78 and have done almost everything I ever thought I could do. Thank you Jesus, I am grateful and my plate is full.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #24
Rhomer
Steelhead

I have tried the Flomax, wow passed out sitting in a chair and this was after my third dose. Never again will I try that or other meds in that class. I have been taking Mega Strength Beta Sitosterol for the past 10 years and sleep through the night. Says its good for the cholesterol but works great for the prostate issues also. Amazon for only .13cents/tablet. Has saved me lots of having to get up at night. Tried the sawpameto with mixed results but this Beta Sitosterol for me is the best I have found.
Rhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #25
Williams
Ifish Nate

Default Prostate health

How bad are the prostate symptoms you are incurring to make you seek out medication? Aside from the fellas with cancer. I notice it ain’t coming out like a fire hose anymore but that is my only noticeable difference. Are you guys experiencing pain of is it frequently urination through out the night that warrants medication?

Last edited by Williams; 07-01-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:19 AM   #26
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Joe, you are in my thoughts. We have a number of brave cancer warriors here on Ifish.
Bill, since we are not hiding any cards here, in my case it was the sudden and very, very urgent need to find the restroom. I mean, really urgent. At one point, it struck while I was standing in the checkout line at Freddy's. There was nothing I could do and you can bet I hugged that shopping car on the way out, if you get my meaning. The meds put a stop to that.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:31 AM   #27
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Getting up several times a night to go to the bathroom. Even after trying to empty bladder several times before bed. Weak flow. Starting and stopping several times. Having to go again a few minutes after the last time. etc.

I ordered some of the Beta Sitosterol. The reviews look promising and is worth a try. I am also going to talk to my Doc about this today.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #28
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I heard years ago lots of sex was good for the prostate.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #29
Stick'em
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I heard years ago lots of sex was good for the prostate.
Yep. 75, intact and healthy as a horse. Doctors says I'm a rare one.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #30
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Stick 'em: 73 and pee when I want, sleep all night.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #31
Williams
Ifish Nate

Good luck HntnFsh I hope that works. My Doctor has done a blood test during my annual physical and it comes back normal. Guess I’ll start a dialogue on it with him.
Wish I was as lucky as Dog,running around having sex a lot. Guess it’s better to be a jackrabbit then a one hit wonder!
Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 AM   #32
DogZilla15
King Salmon

William: I don't think running around having sex a lot is the answer. I never did, "run around." It's not age related either. The key is to not stop having sex. I know absolutely nothing about the sex lives of the general public but I'll throw a guess out to the wind that some men simply don't have enough sex to keep their body healthy, or it could be the other way around. The results are the same. This is a complicated subject and no simple answer as to why we do what we do. We need to consider the genetic factor also which we have almost zero control over.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #33
Williams
Ifish Nate

Just kidding with you Harvey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 AM   #34
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Yea, I know. Keep it up. I'd worry if you didn't.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:46 PM   #35
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Heh heh. snicker.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:18 AM   #36
1pump
King Salmon

I get to see a neurosurgeon in the morning to see why my invertebral disc issues are causing prostate-like symptoms.

My insurance carrier has gotta be hating me by now (snicker tee-hee)
Old 07-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #37
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Good luck, 1pump. I have been in entirely too close contact with a neurosurgeon this past couple of years.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:00 PM   #38
1pump
King Salmon

Thanks, Bill. The over-achieving neurosurgeon (MD and PhD) said I don't need surgery (yet). It's just garden-variety L5/S1 degeneration. The flip side is that I still don't have any idea what's causing this BS. *sigh*
I should change my moniker to "Inconclusive Diagnosis". Seems to be the story of my life. Unless I have a sucking chest wound or an exposed bone nobody can ever figure out what's wrong with me.

I can't complain, it's a better outcome than what I was expecting.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #39
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Sorry, 1pump. I know your frustration. Two months out on the L4-L5 fusion and still can't go a mile without the serious pain that was supposed to go away almost instantly. See my neurosurgeon again August 1 and my guess is he'll say, we just never know. Be patient.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #40
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Yeesh. Sorry guy's.
I don't feel so bad anymore with just a bit of knee pain recently.
Some ibuprofen and hot packs put it to rest. At least temporarily.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #41
FishinTechnician
Tuna!

I first noticed prostate problems when driving long distances in my truck. Prolonged sitting aggravated the prostate and the pain was bothersome. It wasn't until later that I began having to get up during the night to urinate.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:51 AM   #42
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. Been fighting my 2nd bout of the crud in the last month. Missed several days of work. This one is the head cold from hell. Never had anything like it before. Slowly getting better. Finally.

Anyhow. Saw my doctor the other day. Talked about several things. He thought supplements were worth a try. I'm starting the beta sitosterol and will give it a few weeks. If that doesn't work he gave me a prescription for Finasteride. If or when I need to start it , he said to give it at least a month unless the side effects are too bad. If that doesn't work he will refer me to a urologist. He mentioned the Urolift and has heard of good results. So for now I am modifying my liquid intake and trying the Beta sitosterol in hopes it will bring me relief. I really appreciate the input and honesty from you all. It also puts things in perspective for me that no matter how bad I think I have it I need to count my blessings because there are people out there that are dealing with a lot more than I am!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #43
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Good news, if a cancer is suspected:

Old 07-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #44
EagleEye
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigercreek View Post

I have been on Tamsulosin ( Fomax ) for almost 2 years and a few months ago I added finasteride to the mix also which has helped out a lot but it does have side effects.

All I can say the drugs have been a game changer for me. It got to where if I had a couple cups of coffee or water I was peeing every 15 to 20 minutes for hours. It was getting to a point where it was controlling my life and making everything so difficult. I have to drive to my job sites in the Portland metro area and to be stuck in traffic was a nightmare all I was doing was looking for the next place to stop constantly. Things are not perfect but I feel like I have some control of my life back now. I have to watch how much caffeine or alcohol I take in during the day otherwise I'm back rushing to the bathroom even with the drugs. I'm not even 60 yet so the future was looking pretty bleak for me. I don't want to give up the coffee but I may have to at some point to be able to enjoy work and life in general.

When I hunt I try and stay hydrated because I hunt hard and cover a lot of country but in doing so I was having to relieve myself constantly which did not help things at all. Nothing like leaving your mark in the woods every few hundred yards. I think at some point here I'm going to have to go to all decaf coffee and drink no alcohol if I really want to have near normal prostate activity.

For those of you that have a problem I would definitely try the flomax first and see how it goes. I did not have any side effects from the flomax that I could tell. I may go off the Finasteride at some point and try something else.

Last edited by EagleEye; 07-10-2019 at 09:14 PM.
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:20 AM   #45
FishinTechnician
Tuna!

Had my Urolift procedure Tuesday. Actual procedure with 5 wires was painless. Took roughly about 15 min not including prep. Recovery has had its issues and still experiencing some discomfort. First day after procedure was rough. Acute constant pain like that experienced before having to urinate on a full bladder. Burning sensation when voiding due to irritated uretha from procedure. After fourth day burning sensation is subsiding. Will give another update in a week.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:14 AM   #46
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Hope things are getting better for you and that the procedure works as well as I hear it does.

I decided to try the Beta Sitosterol. I'm taking 500mg twice a day. 1 in the morning. 1 in the evening. Been taking it for a little over 2 weeks. Between that and modifying my fluid intake I think I'm doing quite a bit better. Seem to empty my bladder better. Slightly better flow, and only getting up once or twice a night to relive myself. I'm happy enough I didn't even fill my Finasteride prescription. Hopefully these results will continue. Even if it only buys me some time I think it is well worth it.

I really appreciate everybodies input to this thread. I never even heard of Beta sitosterol until it was mentioned here. My doctor hadn't until I told him about it! Hopefully what has been shared here has or will help others like I feel its helped me!
Old 07-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #47
1pump
King Salmon

Had a cystoscopy today (yeeeeoooouch!) and just found out that a Urolift may be one of the options for me in the near future. Yay, me.
Gotta go back later for another ultrasound and then make a decision on what form of torture would be best for 1pump Jr, who currently feels like he peed on an electric fence.
This is gonna be a long, uncomfortable shift at work tonight.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #48
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

I gotta quit reading this thread without taking something first.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #49
EagleEye
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
I gotta quit reading this thread without taking something first.

That is funny

Thanks for the laugh
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #50
1pump
King Salmon

I wish they would've given me something before that cysto on Monday. My urologist and her tech are lucky they're female, otherwise I would've gone Chuck Norris and roundhouse kicked both of them into the next county.

Then I found out about my next ultrasound. I thought it was odd that they were making kind of a big deal out of it, since I've had four already, but then I realized why. I'm getting the Full Meal Deal, the special ultrasound, the "This is gonna hurt you more than it hurts me", kick-the-back-door-in, home-invasion edition.

Gawd almighty, is there no orifice these people won't violate? What's next, a prostate biopsy through my left nostril?
Maybe I'll get some payback and go out for a huge Mexican food dinner the night before. That'll teach 'em.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #51
kigercreek
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
I wish they would've given me something before that cysto on Monday. My urologist and her tech are lucky they're female, otherwise I would've gone Chuck Norris and roundhouse kicked both of them into the next county.

Then I found out about my next ultrasound. I thought it was odd that they were making kind of a big deal out of it, since I've had four already, but then I realized why. I'm getting the Full Meal Deal, the special ultrasound, the "This is gonna hurt you more than it hurts me", kick-the-back-door-in, home-invasion edition.

Gawd almighty, is there no orifice these people won't violate? What's next, a prostate biopsy through my left nostril?
Maybe I'll get some payback and go out for a huge Mexican food dinner the night before. That'll teach 'em.
I've been the victim of 2 ultrasounds, assuming (no pun intended) the same as you mention, prior to each of the 2 sets of biopsies (which consist of 12-16 samples taken from the prostate). From what you have said about the cystoscopy, it wasn't nearly as bad. Even easier than laying still for the long MRI of said region...

Old 07-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #52
FishinTechnician
Tuna!

Its been eight days since my Urolift procedure and the discomfort I was experiencing has gone away. First few days after the procedure was the roughest. After that discomfort noticeably diminished with each passing day. Frequency is still a concern as i'm still having to get up two to three times a night. Expect that will improve with time. Pressure is much improved. Pretty much back to where I was before the procedure with drugs. Totally off drugs now.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #53
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinTechnician View Post
Its been eight days since my Urolift procedure and the discomfort I was experiencing has gone away. First few days after the procedure was the roughest. After that discomfort noticeably diminished with each passing day. Frequency is still a concern as i'm still having to get up two to three times a night. Expect that will improve with time. Pressure is much improved. Pretty much back to where I was before the procedure with drugs. Totally off drugs now.

Sounding pretty good. Glad to hear your feeling better. Hope things continue to improve for you. Its always a good thing when you can eliminate drugs!
Old 08-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #54
FishinTechnician
Tuna!

Its been almost a month since my Urolift procedure and I'm very pleased with the results. I'm totally off prostate meds and recently have only been getting up twice at night. I think that will even improve with time.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:36 PM   #55
1pump
King Salmon

I get mine in a couple of weeks. Oh, happy day. Not looking forward to another urethral invasion, but at least it'll be done with. The good part is that I'll be off work for a bit. And no more tamsulosin, Allah be praised.

Probably not a good idea to ride my motorcycle to the doctor's office for the procedure.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #56
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Wow, it sure looks simple. Fishin': Just how "out" did they put you for this?
Old 08-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #57
FishinTechnician
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Wow, it sure looks simple. Fishin': Just how "out" did they put you for this?
UroLift® System for BPH Procedure Animation - Fast - YouTube
Didn't put me out at all. I actually watched it on a TV screen. They shoot some numbing gel up your tool and some novocaine in the other end neither of which was uncomfortable in the slightest. They also gave me a Valium tablet. I got five bands with my procedure. Like I said the first week is a little rough due to the fact that you are urinating through a stretched uretha. I have been off the drugs since the procedure and only getting up once during the night now. The only thing I felt during the procedure was the metallic-like click when he pulled the trigger on the tool that applies the bands.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #58
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Hmmmm. Recording data ...
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM   #59
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
I got five bands with my procedure.
At $2800 each. But I guess that's parts and labor.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:00 AM   #60
HntnFsh
King Salmon

I'm still very happy with the Beta sitosterol. Only getting up once at night.