Thoughts on Tohatsu Kicker? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 04-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
Fishionado
Fry

Cool Thoughts on Tohatsu Kicker?

Looking at putting an offer on a boat I found on CL. It has a 2016 Evinrude etec and the kicker is a 2016 Tohatsu 9.8. I have seen Tohatsu around from time to time but I really don't have any idea if they are a good motor or not. A friend suggested I ask the experts.

Thoughts?

Both motors are on a 17 ft. Fishrite (2003)

Thank you in advance!

Fishionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Default Re: Thoughts on Tohatsu Kicker?

Tohatsu makes a very good motor. I believe they did or still did make motors for Mercury under something like 25 h.p. they may make motors for other brands also. I think you can search Ifish and find more info as thos has come up before.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Fishionado
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HntnFsh View Post
Tohatsu makes a very good motor. I believe they did or still did make motors for Mercury under something like 25 h.p. they may make motors for other brands also. I think you can search Ifish and find more info as thos has come up before.
Appreciate the insight. Thanks HntnFsh!
Fishionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

There you have it. Great price and a well built boat.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
pirk fan
Tuna!

I've got a 2008 year 9.8 hp Nissan (made by Tohatsu) on my boat and I like it. Starts easily (electric start for an old guy), and has some neat features (motor doesn't lock down until you put it in reverse, so if you hit something with it going forward, it just jumps over it, setting throttle trolling speed is very easy, maintenance is easy, parts are readily available online, and some available from Mercury dealers), and they're priced very competitively. Second largest manufacturer of outboards in the world according to several sources. Downside might be finding a dealer who works on them, not many around, but in a pinch I'd try a Mercury dealer.

I also have a 2002 year 6 hp Nissan that I use on a 12 foot car topper and it's been very reliable as well, until this year when the spark plug lead broke loose from the spark coil (probably from riding around in the back of my truck for 100,000 miles). Easy fix, got a replacement OEM spark coil in 5 days on line. This motor will run for a good 5 minutes on the fuel in the carb bowl after you disconnect the fuel tank....amazing.
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
RB Drifter
Ifish Nate

Can’t speak for service dealers in Bend, but there are a couple in the valley. I had an 08, 6hp up until about 3 years ago before I gave it to my dad. Thing ran like a top on my drift boat. Was a single cylinder, so it had a little vibration but wasn’t bad. Dad rarely uses it but still runs great. Gas is probably 3 years old and he has had no issues w the carb. I wouldn’t hesitate to get another one, other than the resale value.
RB Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:41 PM   #7
Tinman

I had a two-horse Tohatsu kicker, and it was a good little engine. The only complaint was the paint scratched easily. I think they're good motors, just not very popular in the US.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #8
1pump
King Salmon

My 9.9 Merc Pro Kicker was made by Tohatsu, and I don't like it. It's rough, loud. cold blooded, and the throttle/shift linkage feels like it's connected by rubber bands. Just seems crude and primitive, especially considering how much I paid for the thing.
Oh, yeah, another thing is that the main jet in the carb is so tiny a hair from a tree frog will clog it. I had to pull the carb off in the middle of Odell to clear the jet, and the particle stuck in it was near sub-atomic. I could barely see it, but it was enough to kill the fuel flow.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
elkcometopapa
Steelhead

Love nissan and tohatsu motors...very reliable
elkcometopapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:42 PM   #10
10-7
Tuna!

I got rid of my pro-kicker a few years back carbs gummed up all the time. Love mercury just not that model.
10-7 is offline   Reply With Quote