Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Archives > Bass, Panfish & Products

Old 03-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Stan Fagerstrom
Steelhead

Default Thereís More Than One Way

ďThereís More Than One WayĒ
By Stan Fagerstrom
Part 1
It isnít necessarily the strong that have survived down through the ages, itís more likely to be those creatures and critters that have been the most adaptable.
It seems to me at least portions of this time-proven theory also have at least some application in the field of sports fishing. Itís my contention that anglers are forever inclined to get ďsetĒ in their fishing methods. They get into ruts. They so easily forget that thereís nearly always more than one way to do darn near anything. And Iíve been guilty of that enough times myself to know what Iím talking about.
Letís narrow it down even more and point specifically to fishing spinnerbaits for bass. Are you somebody who simply throws your spinnerbait to the nearest cover and then reels it back in without varying either the speed of your retrieve or the depth at which the lure travels?
If you are you have lots of company. Most of us are inclined to take that approach to spinnerbait fishing and oftentimes itís not the best way to go. Never have I had that proven to me quite as clearly as on those relatively rare occasions when Iíve been successful in talking my wife into joining me on a bass fishing adventure.
This gal may not know all that much about bass fishing, but sometimes that works to her advantage. She's not in that rut of always fishing a lure in exactly the same fashion each time out.

My wife is never going to be a full-blown bass fishing fanatic. I held onto that hope in the early years of our marriage, but it soon became obvious it wasnít going to happen. Today, after almost 64 years of marriage, I accept the fact she will go now and then, but only if the air temperature is between 72 and 78ļ and the wind is out of the west and blowing less than five miles per hour. I also know Iíll have to be sure the boat is clean and that thereís a soft pillow on the stern seat.
It sometimes takes a changes in tactics to come up with beauties like this one.

I donít have to ask Anita what lure she wants to throw on those times she does come along. Her choice is a Mackís Lure Stanís Spin with a white skirt. Thereís no need to ask her if she wants to throw anything else. Sheís convinced that if theyíll hit anything theyíll smack her white-skirted Stanís Spin.
Now I had a hand in helping the folks at Mackís Lure bring the Stanís Spin to market in the first place. I know itís a dandy bait, but over a lifetime of bass fishing Iíve also learned that no one lure is always going to be best each time out. Even so, it pains me a little bit to admit how many times my better half has proven that sheís right--- that her spinnerbait is indeed a cinch to catch fish. Sometimes she sits back there in the boat and nails fish while Iím shooting blanks up front.
Thereís really no mystery as to why it happens. Why? Because Anitaís not in that common rut many of us dig for ourselves where spinnerbait fishing is concerned. She often makes just one cast where Iíve made two or three. It would probably drive me bonkers to fish my Stanís Spin as slowly as Iíve watched her do.
Sometimes, and again more often than I care to admit, those stupid bass donít seem to realize they shouldnít mess around with a spinnerbait fished as slowly as my wife is doing. They just go ahead and bite the dang thing anyhow. They donít seem to care one bit that Iíve got a lifetime of bass fishing experience and my wife doesnít know beans about it and wonít lose any sleep because she doesnít.
The reason all this comes about, of course, is connected to what I said in the beginning. Thereís more than one way to do darn near anything. Sometimes taking a new and different approach with a spinnerbait, any other lure for that matter, is the best way to put bass in the boat.
Iíll share additional thoughts on this subject in my next column. Watch for it beginning April 1.
-To Be Continued-

Stan Fagerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement