Mt. Angel Oktoberfest - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Woody
Sturgeon

Default Mt. Angel Oktoberfest

Mt Angel Oktoberfest starts this Thursday and runs through Sunday.........Drop on by, it a great party. PM me and I'll give you my cell # if you want to meet for a bier.

Oktoberfest link

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
TundraIII
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Mt. Angel Oktoberfest

I go every year and I blew this year and made other plans. I am really going to miss hanging out in the Wine Gardens this year...not to mention the fantastic food! I'll be going right by there on my way out of town...I might just have to figure out a way to swing by and grab a couple of cabbage rolls for the drive to the south coast...
Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
Reel Class
Steelhead

I went on Saturday and the chicken was GREAT. They need a larger beer selection though. Also plenty of wine.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
brshooter
Ifish Nate

Ozapft is!
Wish I didn't have out of town commitments this weekend. Have never been to their version. Having been the "die Wiesn", it don't think it will really compare, but it sounds like fun anyway. Can't wait for Munich again next year.

Prosit
Ifish Member #445

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” Thomas Aquinas
brshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
Woody
Sturgeon

Well, Mt. Angel is no Munich, but it's a pretty good time anyway. I've heard it's one of the most authentic O-fests in the country.

I went to the kickoff party Saturday night, too. It's fun, but it's nothing like the actual event.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:35 PM   #6
Joe Schwab
King Salmon

It may not be Munich but it has some of the most authentic music and German food you will find anywhere. And a lot of the families are descended straight from the motherland.

The Zollner family band that plays in the Winegarden is one of the best. You will probably not hear a better version of "Orange Blossom Special" anywhere in the country! I know "that" may not be German but it is good.

My family boasts 7 generations in Oregon from my Great Grandfather who came from Astheim in 1881 to Mt. Angel.

I'll be there!
Old 09-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #7
uhmw
King Salmon

I been to the one in germany more than once during my military tour 20 years ago. a billion drunk germans drinking beer and eating raw hambuger- even my german relitives wont go- now mt angle is how it should be done. As the night goes by the kegs start tapping one per min . the the bands crank up and the stickers come out, oh to be single again ( dont bring your gril freind if ya cant handle her coverd from head to tail in stickers) do they still do that?. Im taking my family to the mello tent as age has finely caught up with me. Mt angle rocks octoberfest german-american style- I think its better then the real one.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:28 PM   #8
TundraIII
Ifish Nate

If I remember correctly....if you get caught putting stickers on someone in the Beer Garden...you'll end up outside the gates this year. I know that they have been cracking down on that activity.

The music in the Wine Garden is fantastic, high energy and absolutely entertaining, it's great EVERY year. The crowd is much more civilized there compared to what you will find in the Beer Garden. The Wine Garden is also kid friendly, you can take your whole family and have a great time.

My wifes family operates a mink farm in Mt. Angel and many of her family immigrated to the area from Germany...so every year it's like a mini-reunion. We get to see family that we havent seen all year and catch up a bit. I cant believe that we wont be going this year :depressed:
Old 09-13-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
Woody
Sturgeon

Yep, no more stickers. The city got tired of the clean up after....... Thousands of sticker on every surface in town.

I prefer the winegarden as well. The beergarden at the far end of town is for the young, single folks. It's pretty much a shoulder to shoulder meat market. My boys can't wait to turn 21 and hang there.
Old 09-13-2005, 01:36 PM   #10
sandman
Ifish Nate

They are doing the bead thing though. Like mardi gras!
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:21 PM   #11
Tagster
Ifish Nate

Went to the pre party last year. My wife and her friend "earned" many beads and bottle openers!

I actually enjoy the pre party more than the actual event.

However, I am sure that we will drive down Saturday for a few hours.

Have fun!

Tag
Tagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
RvW
King Salmon

Octoberfest in Mt Angel...hmmmm

I guess the alternative would be Cinco D'mayo in Berlin?

I have survived Octobers Garden au bier a-la Mt Angel...
But Im sure there are many who have a different opinion!

I've retired my grogenstein, go for the food now, and to chuckle at the beer-gardeners.
RvW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:24 AM   #13
TundraIII
Ifish Nate

Yaaaaaa! I convinced everyone to change their plans this weekend...sooooo...we get to go to the Oktoberfest! We'll be going Saturday night and will be hanging out in the Wine Garden all evening. :grin:
Old 09-14-2005, 01:34 PM   #14
1pump
King Salmon

If ya want someplace to go where you can play grab-arse with anybody you want and generally be lewd. crude, rude and socially unacceptable, then Mt Angel is the place. Even when I was married my wife looked the other way at the beer garden. Any other time or place I'd get my face slapped, a beer thrown on me or somebody's boyfriend would take exception to yours truly and do the beat-down. Not at the Oktoberfest. Inappropriate groping is acceptable early in the evening, and encouraged after a few dozen kegs have run dry.
My kind of place.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #15
waterfowlin101
King Salmon

1pump- I hope you are kidding. Anyone who actually believed what you just typed is a sick individual. There is never a good time or place to touch someone inappropriatly. Your still married? :whazzup: Nuff said!!

The Octoberfest is a great event. I will attend on Thursday and Sunday probably. My fiance's entire family probably makes up 10% of Mt. Angel and the rest of the town are good friends. I like Th. and Sun. because they are a bit more laid back and it's usually just the locals. Great food and great beer.

Jon
Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
Norski
Sturgeon

Okbeerfest

I have gone to the Oktoberfest, the first time about 35 years ago,was at Tillamook, with Ant Mary Fink, "O" yea had a grate time, got to meet all of her friends, and they were friendly, all from the Europa, And being a young man, I just had to go back to have one more beer, on the way home to Aunties, I crashed, nothing bad just went off the road, just be for the fish hatchery.

Than after getting the car back to Tigard, and fixed, a life long friend and I went to the M.T. Angle fest, yea, there was lot's of drunk people, we ate, drank, and went on into the early Am.

I well call my buddy John,
I well cut to the chase, we said we would drive back to Tigard, well again, on our way I was driving and John said turn right, I did, and we drove through a corn patch, it was so bad, we stopped and I followed him through the corn to get back on the road.

Now I don't or would not plan on driving home in these modern times, there is a heck of a lot more people than there was 35 years ago.

Find a place to sleep it off and you can look forward to another year, the thing been going on when I was a kid, my folks went, back than it was nothing, not like now, my friend john had hinted on going, but I would rather fish, so I am off fishing some where this weekend.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #17
TundraIII
Ifish Nate

I just reserved an RV spot behind the BeirGarten barn.....I dont plan on getting much sleep :grin: but I dont have to worry about driving either!
Old 09-15-2005, 08:45 AM   #18
uhmw
King Salmon

driving-thats why I bring the wife. maybe thats why I married her and had all those kids? Heres to the life long designated driver
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:53 AM   #19
Troutinator
Tuna!

speaking of driving... this is Fall Funny car Classic weekend at the drags. And the outlet mall is having a pre-opening for some new stores. Traffic will be backed up onto the freeway for a LONG ways. Every year there are serious accidents related to the traffic trying to get off the freeway at Woodburn. Do yourselves a big favor, either travel PAST Woodburn to the Brooks exit and head east to Mt. Angel OR take the Canby/Aurora exit and come down 99E. You'll save yourself a lot of time and stress.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 AM   #20
HazMatt
Steelhead

Went to the Berlin Inn's Octoberfest in SE last weekend. Put the son in correct garb and he ended up being the hit of the place. It is a nice little family friendly Octoberfest with awesome food and beer!
Just a quick shot of the boy...Couldn't help myself!
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:15 AM   #21
Chromaflage
King Salmon

Excellent, Matt!!!!!

CrF
Old 09-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #22
Drakeblake
Tuna!

This will be my first year being 21 for O-fest. You know where to find me. its not the chicken dance but it'll do.

-blake
Drakeblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #23
sandman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Went to the Berlin Inn's Octoberfest in SE last weekend. Put the son in correct garb and he ended up being the hit of the place. It is a nice little family friendly Octoberfest with awesome food and beer!
Just a quick shot of the boy...Couldn't help myself!

2-cute!!!
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:05 AM   #24
fishstik
Tuna!

priceless
CCA Member! I.D.#1367098
fishstik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:02 PM   #25
HazMatt
Steelhead

Forgot to mention in the first posting - those leiderhosen (sp?) are 30+ years old. They are his uncle's from Germany. Last time my wife was at her folks' house, she borrowed them just for this Octoberfest! Needless to say, we have some great shots of him doing the chicken dance!
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:41 AM   #26
TundraIII
Ifish Nate

The Mt. Angel Oktoberfest was awesome this year, once again. If you have an RV try making a weekend of it and stay overnight right next to the festivities...we had a blast!!! Met some great folks from all over the US...cant wait till next year