Seattle for a big anniversary. - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Default Seattle for a big anniversary.

Just like the title says... The wife and I will be married 15 yrs so that is a biggie for this day and age. We want to explore the Seattle area, the market the needle etc.. etc.. I want to fish as well (shh). I looked at hotel prices close to downtown (Space needle and Pikes within 1 mi. and ) WOW.

My dates are arrive July 29th (Wed)-Aug 2nd (Sun) total of 4 nights 5 days. Any suggestions? I can't see paying over $120.00 night. Maybe I'm a back of the truck kinda guy but 15 yrs she deserves more than a seat buckle in the middle of her back kinda gal.

P.M's welcome as I look to book soon. Maybe a B&B, private home, etc..

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 09:34 PM   #2
Dave G
King Halibut

Default Re: Seattle for a big anniversary.

On top of the hill a couple of blocks from the Needle right off the highway are some Cheap Hotels. Ya I know, maybe not the Anniversary kind, BUT Seattle is very nice in summer, after walking up and down those hills, stuffing yourself at the Crab Shack, after each day all you will want to do is go to bed and rest up for the next days adventure. That's what we do each time we go up there and it all within walking distance.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 PM   #3
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

That's the peak of tourist season. Good luck finding a cheap spot in downtown. Anything as cheap as you're asking is likely to be seedy. I'd consider staying away from downtown, perhaps along the I-90 corridor, which gives you a straight shot into downtown. There is a Days Inn and a Homestead Suites in the Factoria/Eastgate area of Bellevue, which may be close to your price.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
Big Game Fishing

I am up there a lot for work, and last summer rooms were tough to come by anywhere most of the time. Places like Days Inn Tukwila were getting $120 a night.

For downtown where you want to be, try the hotel vintage. It's a Kimpton hotel, book it if in your price range.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 01:24 AM   #5
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
On top of the hill a couple of blocks from the Needle right off the highway are some Cheap Hotels. Ya I know, maybe not the Anniversary kind, BUT Seattle is very nice in summer, after walking up and down those hills, stuffing yourself at the Crab Shack, after each day all you will want to do is go to bed and rest up for the next days adventure. That's what we do each time we go up there and it all within walking distance.
I'm glad you got it.. I'm not looking for exclusive but if I want to walk to the needle or market that is key.. Thanks Dave.. Any other insight is Most welcoming at this point.. I have looked at many options and I have to count hotel options out at this point. Prices are insane for down town.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
crabbait
King Salmon

Try a search engine like kayak for best hotel deals.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #7
Big Game Fishing

If you think hotel prices are insane, wait till you pay for parking and food in Seattle.

Maybe look at a bed and breakfast somewhere smaller. There are some cool places overlooking the water in Sequim. Then you can explore the OP, or take a ferry from PA up to Canada.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
Stick'em
King Salmon

Splurge. It’s your anniversary. We stay at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront every time we visit. Everything you mentioned is in easy walking distance and if you book early, you can probably find a room for under 200 bucks.
Stick'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
twolabz
Steelhead

You could always stay in Bremerton and take the ferry back and forth there is Hampton Inn and Fairfield Inn right by the ferry. They are both fairly new and there are some decent restaurants also.
twolabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Go to airbnb.com and find a house for less than a hotel room. (Floating home on lake union $100/night)

Go to boatbound.co to find a boat to rent.

There's a public fishing pier downtown on elliott bay that has a lot of fish but I wouldn't eat em. I caught some rockfish with growths/parasites when I first moved here.

From South Lake Union the Space Needle is walking distance. There's a cool wooden boat museum there too. If you go to the south side of the U-district behind the restaurant Agua Verde they rent kayaks for $15-$20/hr which is fun.

Last edited by leefromseattle; 02-11-2015 at 08:41 AM.
leefromseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Thanks for the replies. I had never thought about Bremerton and taking the ferry, nor had I thought of the houseboat deal. I'm intrigued.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Dave G
King Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2fish View Post
I'm glad you got it.. I'm not looking for exclusive but if I want to walk to the needle or market that is key.. Thanks Dave.. Any other insight is Most welcoming at this point.. I have looked at many options and I have to count hotel options out at this point. Prices are insane for down town.

We are up there all the time, the hotels are nowhere near 5 star, but they are clean and safe and you can walk everywhere. Have fun

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #13
willametteriveroutlaw
King Salmon

I stay ay the silver cloud for work quite often, it's about 160 a night and is close to downtown. You'll spend that with ferry costs from Bremerton/paulsbo.

-Flatfish
willametteriveroutlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:12 AM   #14
JD77
Ifish Nate

One other option... if you stay in the University District you can park at your hotel for free and check out all that is around UW. The "Ave" can be a little sketchy at night but we have had fun staying in the area. There are hotels there in your budget (University Inn is nice).

We have used Priceline for downtown Seattle to get a nice room at a fancy hotel for less than 100 per night. HOWEVER, parking at that same hotel was 40 dollars a night! Yikes.

Wife and I went many times for special occasions and it is a fun town.
JD77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:56 AM   #15
Davy
Ifish Nate

Hotel Deca near the UW is a nice place and pretty affordable, we stay there sometimes when we are up visiting John in the medical center, congrats BTW, ! Joni and I celebrate 30 years soon

Last edited by Davy; 02-12-2015 at 07:56 AM. Reason: me
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #16
leefromseattle
Steelhead

Just don't book a hotel around Aurora Ave north of downtown....we always joke (and laugh hard) about what people must think when they book online and end up there......

Downtown is a ride-free zone and you can hop on and off buses for free to jump a dozen blocks in any direction.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #17
lost_sailor
King Salmon

"[Frank Zappa:] There's a motel in Seattle, Washington, called the Edgewater Inn . . . The Edgewater Inn is built out on a pier . . . so that means that when you look out your window you don't see any dirt, it's . . . got a bay or something out in your backyard . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

[FZ:] And to make it even more interesting, in the lobby of the aforementioned motel there's a bait and tackle shop where the residents can go down and, whenever they want to, rent a fishing pole and some preserved minnows and schlep back up to their rooms, open the window, stick their little pole outside and within a few minutes actually catch a fish of some sort that they can bring into their motel room and do whatever they want with it, you know what I mean?

Mud Sh-sh-shark

[FZ:] Now in this bay there's quite a variety of . . . fish!

Mud Sh-sh-shark

[FZ:] Not only do they have mud sharks up there, they got little octopusses that you can catch

Fish!
Mud Sh-sh-shark

[FZ:] And all of these denizens of the deep can come in real handy . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

[FZ:] Let's say you were a travelling Rock and Roll band called The Vanilla Fudge . . . let's say one night you checked into the Edgewater Inn with an 8mm movie camera . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

[FZ:] Enough money to rent a pole, and just to make it more interesting . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark

[FZ:] A succulent young lady!
[Howard:] Nooo!
[FZ:] With a taste for the bizarre . . .

Mud Sh-sh-shark
..."
lost_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
blacktail
Tuna!

I like the Warwick.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #19
greenbuttskunk
King Salmon

hotel vintage park, super nice folks and they do a free wine tasting with the wine makers each evening at 5pm. usually oregon or wash wines.
Then take her to the pink door for dinner. Get a reservation.
SUPER cool dinner theater experience (free) and good italian food. Then wander through pikes market. just a cool experience to see all the shop, make sure to go downstairs.
Then for dessert, go to purple, go upstairs to the swank bar and have a
glass of wine and their signature salted caramels.
You should be all set!
greenbuttskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:38 PM   #20
fish4brains
Tuna!

A waterfront room at the Edgewater, it won't be $120, but you will have a great view and plenty to do within a short walking distance.
fish4brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #21
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Great replies so far and have checked out many options mentioned here WOW. I knew this was the place to post for help on something like this. Neither one of us have been to Seattle so it will be an unique first experience. I planned to spend my 21st birthday in Seattle but ended up in Colorado and went to the Hard Rock in Denver. Keep the suggestions coming I especially like the dinner places to look at since that is where I will be spending most of my money anyhow (hence trying to keep the hotel rate down). Gotta keep the balance..Also I have noticed some replies on here on where not to stay due to "sketchy" areas, that is great information for a country boy in a big city. Places to avoid are equally as good to know as those to not miss areas.

Last edited by luvs2fish; 02-12-2015 at 06:51 PM.
luvs2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #22
Stonedfish
Tuna!

A couple other hotels to consider.
Inn at the Market and the MarQueen.
Stonedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #23
leefromseattle
Steelhead

This is the main bad part I was mentioning on Aurora,

most of the hotels are boarded up but there are still a number that return cheap results in the online searches. Here's streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6575...LmibH1cOww!2e0

Pink door is good. Everything downtown is pricey so be prepared.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #24
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedfish View Post
A couple other hotels to consider.
Inn at the Market and the MarQueen.

I would like to eat too. Those hotels are nice yes.. My budget.. Less than that. It's an anniversary not a honey moon..
Old 02-12-2015, 07:40 PM   #25
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefromseattle View Post
This is the main bad part I was mentioning on Aurora,

most of the hotels are boarded up but there are still a number that return cheap results in the online searches. Here's streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6575...LmibH1cOww!2e0

Pink door is good. Everything downtown is pricey so be prepared.
Thanks again for the information you have provided. In an earlier post you mentioned airbnb.com there is some incredible places to stay that seem inviting but again some have very few reviews and me not being familiar with the area I am unknowing of the bad areas to stay away from. I understand it is not Northern Mexico but you catch my drift.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #26
leefromseattle
Steelhead

It's fine, I've walked through people smoking and selling crack 3 blocks from pike place market, and they got rid of the self cleaning bathroom at Pike Place because of all the people shooting up in it, it is what it is.

Since you're here for a few days I'd look for events in Capital Hill, Fremont, Ballard, U-district, that interest you. It gets kinda boring wandering around after too long but those places all have cool stuff at the right times.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #27
Artwo
King Salmon

We take the train up every couple years, stay in a downtown hotel, eat at the small local downtown places, do Pikes Market Place, etc. Last time we did the new ferris wheel, it was pretty cool, but expensive for what it was. The one thing we did that trip as well that was really cool was the EMP Museum (the music museum, plus a lot more) http://www.empmuseum.org/ it's well worth the price of admission, I highly recommend it. If you stay in one of the downtown hotels you can jump on the monorail to get there..............it's a must see. We spent almost an entire day there checking everything out.

I really can't be specific to a place to stay, as like you, we usually look for the best deal, but all the major name places we've stayed downtown have been great. As for the food, like I said above, we just kind of hop into whatever place looks good at the time, mostly some small out of the way place. Some have been outstanding and some not so much, but that's the adventure of it......

Hope you guys have fun, Seattle is an interesting place.............

Last edited by Artwo; 02-13-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Artwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #28
twolabz
Steelhead

You can get a waterfront suite for $160 at the Hampton inn
Ferry is $8.00 round trip

Anything in Seattle will most likely be twice that.
Save your money to eat out. Enjoy a ferry ride
The Pink Door is great. or Athenian Inn, Lowell's Restaurant & Bar, Steelhead Diner all around the market.
twolabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #29
Stonedfish
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2fish View Post
I would like to eat too. Those hotels are nice yes.. My budget.. Less than that. It's an anniversary not a honey moon..
Eating is good, just giving you some other options.
Just tough to find what you are looking for within walking distance for $120.00 per night in downtown Seattle.

Enjoy your trip.
SF
Old 02-13-2015, 11:55 PM   #30
luvs2fish
Tuna!

Bremerton is looking pretty attractive right now. Ferry ride by person is reasonable as to where it drops you off seems everything is within walking distance to where I would like to be.. The ride is a bit long.. but the beaches.. That is great too! The expense is far less than staying in Seattle itself, good things and bad about staying there? Other than the long ferry ride to Seattle..
Old 02-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #31
Stonedfish
Tuna!

One thing you might want to check out is lodging on Bainbridge Island if you plan to travel to the city via ferry.
The ferry ride is shorter and Bainbridge is a much nicer area then Bremerton.

Also consider the waterfront isn't going to be like it normally is.
They are doing major construction to the seawall plus the viaduct project is close by. The Bremerton / Bainbridge ferry terminal is right in the middle of the construction area.
SF
Old 02-16-2015, 07:31 PM   #32
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedfish View Post
One thing you might want to check out is lodging on Bainbridge Island if you plan to travel to the city via ferry.
The ferry ride is shorter and Bainbridge is a much nicer area then Bremerton.

Also consider the waterfront isn't going to be like it normally is.
They are doing major construction to the seawall plus the viaduct project is close by. The Bremerton / Bainbridge ferry terminal is right in the middle of the construction area.
SF
Be sure to check out that sea wall project. If it is not completed there will be a number of waterfront touristy businesses closed. They may also be having burial ceremonies for Bertha by then......

I hate having to drive into downtown Seattle so whenever possible I take the train or the bus. By being a little outside the peak commute one can miss the congestion and save money. For example, check out hotels in Tacoma and take the train up in the morning and return on the express bus. The bus is $7.00 round trip. You might want to put the Chittendon locks on your to do list.

By the way, lots to see in Tacoma to include WA Historical Museum, WA art museum, Pt. Defiance Park and Aquarium, Thea Foss Waterway and a number of waterfront restaurants between downtown and Pt. Defiance that one simply doesn't see when passing through on the freeway.

I failed to mention Sportco and also the brand new Bass Pro Shop.

Fishing opportunities may be difficult unless you bring a boat or decide to go out on a guided trip. The North of Falcon process is still underway but my guess is that your primary opportunity will be for the marked selective Chinook fishery in MA 9 and 10 from Seattle north to Port Townsend. That is, unless you can talk the wife into a night at the coast and a trip out of Westport.

Or as suggested stay on Bainbridge Island and take the ferry for a day or two then move to Port Townsend, a historic small city with easy access to Sequim and Port Angeles and a ferry ride to Whidbey Island and landing at Fort Flagler.

In short, so much more to see than just Seattle.
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote