Drift boat kickers - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
DYJ
Steelhead

Default Drift boat kickers

I've never owned a boat motor but I am thinkin this summer I would like to put a used kicker on my drift boat. Over the years I have heard people talk about what is the ideal kicker. I have a few questions. Seems everyone talks about the shift in the Handle, do all Merc 8's have shift in the handle? Also, are two strokes typically lighter than 4 strokes? What extra maintanence is there for a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke? I rememer racing MX bikes and puttin new top ends on every 25 to 30 hours, does a 2 stroke boat motor require that much maintanence? Also I remember hearing that only certain year Merc 8's have a racheting style stop when you pull the motor up, so you can pull with one hand and get on the sticks quicker? Is that true and what years are those? Thanks for any help you guys can offer...

DYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
Okie
Tuna!

Default Re: Drift boat kickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYJ View Post
I've never owned a boat motor but I am thinkin this summer I would like to put a used kicker on my drift boat. Over the years I have heard people talk about what is the ideal kicker. I have a few questions. Seems everyone talks about the shift in the Handle, do all Merc 8's have shift in the handle? Also, are two strokes typically lighter than 4 strokes? What extra maintanence is there for a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke? I rememer racing MX bikes and puttin new top ends on every 25 to 30 hours, does a 2 stroke boat motor require that much maintanence? Also I remember hearing that only certain year Merc 8's have a racheting style stop when you pull the motor up, so you can pull with one hand and get on the sticks quicker? Is that true and what years are those? Thanks for any help you guys can offer...

You ask a lot of different questions. First you seem to mention Merc engines. I suggest you consider other brands of engines besides Merc.
You must know that regardless of the type of engine you have, it reqires a certian amount of maintenance to keep it runing good. So it will start etc when you would like for it to do so. I have never seen a small engine that was worn out because of to much use. It's usually lack of proper care and maintenance that does it in. What ever engine you buy, get the manuel on that engine and study it so you will know the engine you have. There are many good engines out there in variaous brands, just learn to maintain the one you have bought. " Ten horse power or less is plenty good enough for a drift boat.

Good Luck

P.S.
A engine on a drift boat is difficult to steer as the boat has a flat bottom on it and there fore you have to be allert in keeping it going in a straight line all the time.

Last edited by Okie; 04-17-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote