Drifting the Puyallup river - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 08-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
Jdklein33
Fry

Default Drifting the Puyallup river

Hello, I'm looking for information on drift boat access to take my son salmon fishing this fall. What put in and take out locations should I research? Any other tips and caveats are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Jdklein33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 09:28 AM   #2
cutplugherring
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Drifting the Puyallup river

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdklein33 View Post
Hello, I'm looking for information on drift boat access to take my son salmon fishing this fall. What put in and take out locations should I research? Any other tips and caveats are welcome. Thanks in advance!
I am unaware of any put in on the Puyallup River. There is a few rough put ins. There is a ramp lower on the river near the hwy 99 bridge but I think it is on Indian reservation land. I have never seen a drift boat on that river but doesn’t mean that there never has been. Since this is a pink year, the bankies might not care for a drift boat on that river.

Last edited by cutplugherring; 08-18-2019 at 10:43 AM.
cutplugherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
KalamaGeo.
King Salmon

All my information is ancient but you will have to do some driving to see what access remains.

You USED to be able to put in on the little Puyallup just above the Carbon.( rough slide between rocks ) Also a backyard put in just below there on the main river. A gravel bar takeout/put in was available at the sewage treatment plant where the White dumps in near Antons restaurant. Takeout on the lower river is done on sand bars on the opposite shore from river road. SAND BARS..... Just thought I'd write that again. Don't go near this river with 2 wheel drive. All access was gravel bar/sand bar with no ramps.

That being said, this info is probably useless now. Private property and garbage laden pigs have probably ruined any access we used to enjoy.

Advise? Join the 10, 000 bank anglers. Being in a boat makes you a target more than dangerous to the fish. Just not enough water that the bankies can't get to, to make it worth the effort. I remember really good steelhead runs of the 80 that prompted me to float the PUY. I spent the day trying to find a place to anchor, let alone fish.

Last edited by KalamaGeo.; 08-19-2019 at 09:18 AM.
KalamaGeo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
SandyRiverRon
Chromer

Can’t imagine trying to float that gauntlet w/o body armor and quality brain bucket.....dangerous.
SandyRiverRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

As extracted from a July 2019 article in the (Tacoma) News Tribune:

"A boat slide will open Aug. 15 at Riverside Park near Sumner.

The slide will be the first of its kind in Washington. Rather than a concrete boat launch, the ramp is built of wooden planks and rollers. People will be able to unload their kayaks, canoes or other boats and slide them into the water."

I'm not sure if that launch has actually opened so take this info as tentative.

Members of Pierce County's Outdoor Sports and Recreation Council are working to add several more launches further up the Puyallup system to facilitate river related recreational activities.

Edit: Having run my drift boat down that river in the late 70s I am happy to see some level of access being re-established.

Last edited by Pipe Dream; 08-18-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Pipe Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

More info:

NEWS RELEASE

Contact Councilwoman Pam Roach, (253) 798-2222

First-of-its-kind boat slide gets ribbon cutting August 23.

Washington’s first slide-style boat launch is scheduled to open Friday, August 23 at 10:00 a.m. at Riverside Park in Sumner.

At the ribbon cutting on the high bank of the Puyallup River there will be a demonstration of lowering and raising boats along the river. The slide’s opening coincides with fishing season.

“Boat entry to the Puyallup River will be much easier and safer,” said Pierce County Councilwoman Pam Roach. “This unique boat slide provides access to the Puyallup River where it wasn’t possible in the past,” she said.

Funding for the slide was the joint effort of Rep. Morgan Irwin (R-Enumclaw) and Pierce County Councilwoman Pam Roach. “Representative Irwin’s help with state funding made this boat launch possible,” Roach said.

Pierce County Public Works constructed the boat slide. Similar boat slides are prevalent and popular in Oregon, but this is Washington’s first.

“We are also working on other access points to the river,” said Roach. The Department of Fish and Wildlife recently opened access to the Puyallup River at the gravel bar near the end of 116th St. E., near Orting, which will remain open during fishing season.

In addition to use by recreational boaters, the boat slide gives another entry point for search and rescue personnel.

Riverside Park is located at 7926 Riverside Rd. E., Sumner. A gravel road leads to the launch site.

END
Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 PM   #7
Modest_Man
Tuna!

I now live 5 minutes from the Carbon and 10 min from the Puyallup. Just bought a drift boat and you couldn't pay me to float the lower Puyallup. I think you would be at very high risk of flying lead for a lot of that float.

That said, with the new access at the Weiss water treatment plant it looks like vehicles can access a gravel bar and could float to the slide at Riverside Park. I drive by the park for work and can check if the slide is operational. It wouldn't be a long float.

If you want to catch chum there is a good float on the Green in November.

As an aside, I've always liked your posts KalamaGeo. If you want to fish sometime let me know.

If anyone has tips for how to get fish out of the Puyallup without a 10' leader in this glacial water I am all ears. Been running eggs up high away from people with no luck yet.
Modest_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
cutplugherring
Ifish Nate

I have seen lots of people try to catch fish with spinners, spoons, jigs and bait but the only thing that I have seen them caught on was a corky tied to about 10’of leader and just floss the heck out of them. I have never been a fan of the Puyallup. Combat fishing at its worst. I know of some guys that do ok there but it just isn’t for me
Old 08-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #9
fish4brains
Tuna!

don't try it
fish4brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
KalamaGeo.
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4brains View Post
don't try it
Man of few words...........

Modest Man, thanks.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #11
coach
Chromer

You can put your boat in at 115th street off of the Sumner Orting highway and pull it out at the new boat slide at the BMX park. Not too much bank competition in that area. any lower on the river too many idiots fishing. There is some good water in that stretch.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #12
KalamaGeo.
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
You can put your boat in at 115th street off of the Sumner Orting highway and pull it out at the new boat slide at the BMX park. Not too much bank competition in that area. any lower on the river too many idiots fishing. There is some good water in that stretch.
I was going to mention 115th but wasn't sure it was even an option anymore. I used to live in Puyallup until after college. Graduated in '90 so my information was dated to say the least.............. And I was old at graduation. I was 30.

I miss the old days.......... can't call em "good old days", those were in the 50s and 60s....

My first Steelhead EVER was from the collie dog hole.........................The long, tree lined run below the cliffs.

Last day of the season in March '79. Casting a large SnG against the roots of the trees lined against the far shore. Fish came in WAAAAAY too easy. Just felt a bump and he came in like a puppy on a leash........to LOOK at me. I saw him 3 feet from me, the SnG spinning in his face. For what seemed an eternity, we looked at each other.

Then he took off like a bat out of hell..... Hit the far shore at warp 3 and ran down the line of trees, almost spooling me in about 10 seconds. Last I saw of him was as he jumped from the far shore to the near shore, about 3 feet in the air, level to the horizon. Hook came out and I slowly reeled in, hardly knowing how to react. I had never hooked a steelhead before.

I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR HIS PROGENY FOR THE LAST 40 YEARS...............................

This one way battle has fueled dreams for decades. I have had my a$$ kicked by many other fish over the years but none will EVER haunt me like this one fish. The time spent looking into this beasts eyes, as the SnG spun in its face, is a lifetime experience of the highest order.

Last edited by KalamaGeo.; 08-19-2019 at 08:23 PM.
KalamaGeo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:53 PM   #13
Modest_Man
Tuna!

I swung by the new slide after work tonight. The slide looks nice, but there is no water below it. It dumps right onto a gravel bar at current water levels. It is also gated off (as of 7pm) and you can't get a vehicle or trailer to the slide. Not sure if it is gated and locked all the time or what.

Not sure I'd try to put in or take out there without talking to someone in the parks dept.

Sorry the one photo is sideways!

I might do the 115th float to the slide (if I can confirm the gate is unlocked) a day or two before the Carbon opens if only we can get a little cooler weather to get more than 1" of visibility. What do/did/would you guys use other than a corkie and 10' leader in this chocolate mud?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_190631.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	207.6 KB
ID:	729151   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_190816.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	729153  

Last edited by Modest_Man; 08-19-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:53 AM   #14
coach
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaGeo View Post
I was going to mention 115th but wasn't sure it was even an option anymore. I used to live in Puyallup until after college. Graduated in '90 so my information was dated to say the least.............. And I was old at graduation. I was 30.

I miss the old days.......... can't call em "good old days", those were in the 50s and 60s....

My first Steelhead EVER was from the collie dog hole.........................The long, tree lined run below the cliffs.

Last day of the season in March '79. Casting a large SnG against the roots of the trees lined against the far shore. Fish came in WAAAAAY too easy. Just felt a bump and he came in like a puppy on a leash........to LOOK at me. I saw him 3 feet from me, the SnG spinning in his face. For what seemed an eternity, we looked at each other.

Then he took off like a bat out of hell..... Hit the far shore at warp 3 and ran down the line of trees, almost spooling me in about 10 seconds. Last I saw of him was as he jumped from the far shore to the near shore, about 3 feet in the air, level to the horizon. Hook came out and I slowly reeled in, hardly knowing how to react. I had never hooked a steelhead before.

I HAVE BEEN SEARCHING FOR HIS PROGENY FOR THE LAST 40 YEARS...............................

This one way battle has fueled dreams for decades. I have had my a$$ kicked by many other fish over the years but none will EVER haunt me like this one fish. The time spent looking into this beasts eyes, as the SnG spun in its face, is a lifetime experience of the highest order.
I caught my first steelhead at the Claybanks hole (the cliffs you speak of). It was probably 1966. The Puyallup was the best steelhead river in the state when I was growing up. Now, there is a short season and no steelhead are in there any more (except springers, which are big fish but no fishing for them).
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #15
Modest_Man
Tuna!

Puyallup drift boat slide grand opening the 23rd at 10am, fyi.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

I attended the ribbon cutting this morning which included two boats making the run from 115th St. to the new slide. No fish but they had aboard a very happy Pierce Co. Council member Pam Roach. Very little bank competition upriver and plenty of water w/o bank access; down river lots of people fishing for Chinook, Coho and pinks.

Seattle TV stations 4 and 7 were there filming so if you are in the area and interested you might watch tonight.

Despite the ribbon cutting the gate to the launch was locked upon our departure so anyone interested in using it should confirm it is actually accessible. (And, no, I don't get it either.......open or not???)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:10 PM   #17
Pipe Dream
Ifish Nate

Okay, here is a link to the updated Pierce County Parks website pertaining to access to the boat slide plus a short video: https://www.piercecountywa.gov/1331/...Boat-Slide-BMX.

Of particular interest as extracted:

"To acquire a permit:

Permits are available with 24hr advance notification

Contact 253-798-4177 from 8am - 9pm 7 days a week

On each permit, you must provide the number of boats and names of additional persons in your party. Permit holder is responsible for gate access and everyone in the group.

You will be given a combination to the boat slide gate at the time your permit is issued.

Keep a copy of your permit with you (electronic or paper) when you are using the boat slide. Upon request, if you are unable to produce a valid permit you may be asked to vacate premises, face possible charges/fines and may lose future permit privileges.

Riverside gates are open approximately 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 after sunset. All cars must be out of the park at this time or risk being towed at owners expense."

Glad to have the slide but nothing is easy with Pierce Co. Government.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #18
Modest_Man
Tuna!

Have a permit for Friday, sounds like not much use as of yet.