Depth finder in fiberglass drift boat - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Tech Tips and Keepers

Old 01-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Default Depth finder in fiberglass drift boat

"Depth finder in Drift Boat?"
This topic has came up so often over the passed years, I finally had to take some pictures of the setup I installed in my boat to share with the masses.
(I'm only a little proud of it)
Granted, if you use a depth finder in an aluminum or wood boat you have to find a means to submerge the transducer.
Some have used suction cups to the outside of their boat. You simply drape your transducer cable over the gunnel to the outside of the boat, mount suction cups at the water line and this is what holds the transducer in place. This works well in case you brush an obstacle the suction cups will 'break-away' and hopefully damage to the transducer and cable will be minimal to none.
Others mount the transducer to a rod which is clamped onto the gunnel. The clamp extends out away from the boat from which the rod and transducer can be lowered into the water while in use and raised up while in shallow areas to avoid damage.
For owners of fiberglass drift boats who wish to use a depthfinder it is possible to do so without having anything clamped or hanging over the gunnel. No equipment outside of your vessel is necessary with minimal, if any, exposed cables.
Your depthfinder's transducer can "shoot" thru the fiberglass hull giving the owner peace of mind that his valuable equipment will not be damaged.
My system is entirely concealed 'inside' my boat.
There are a couple features to this system that may limit the performance of your depthfinder. Those would be water speed readings, and temperature.
I am not sure about the temperature because my depthfinder is an entry level model which does not offer temperature.
Finally here are the pictures---

The pictures can probably tell the story.
Sand the surface of the hull smooth at the location the transducer is to be mounted. I generously used clear silicone caulking to adhere the transducer to the floor.
I have been using this setup for 14 years. The only item I have replaced is the battery.
These batteries will last several "full days use" between charges, making this still a viable option when fishing several days in a location where electricity may not be available for overnight charging. If you're worried about that, bring a backup battery.

Last edited by AnnaDraMoss; 01-16-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: technical difficulties
AnnaDraMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Grant Scheele
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Depth finder in fiberglass drift boat

I used to use a suction cup on the outside of my Clackacraft for my transducer. I only turned the finder on in the Fall and keep the transducer on the inside of the boat when not in use. One day during Winter Steelhead a client bumped the "ON" button and I didn't know it.

I looked over and said two things: #1"How did my depth finder turn on" and #2 "How does it know how deep it is here".

I didn't know that it worked so well to shoot through the hull.

I just leave my transducer on the bottom of the boat and it seems to work great! I don't have to worry about it getting ripped of in the brush or whitewater anymore.

Nice bonus!
Grant Scheele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
KalamaGeo
King Salmon

Hey! This is great info.......

I've got an extra depth finder laying around...............The Max is getting another toy

Old 01-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Sorry, I had temporarily lost my pictures. Here are some, trying to figure out how to post the others
OK, all the pics are up.

Last edited by AnnaDraMoss; 01-16-2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 01-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

test
Old 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
AnnaDraMoss
King Salmon

Would a temperature reading be accurate with this setup.
What is required for temperature to accurately record?