crab pot buoy knots - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Tech Tips and Keepers

Old 10-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
DownTime
Steelhead

Default crab pot buoy knots

I went crabbing last week and one of the locals looked at my pots and said "looks like you don't know how to tie a buoy knot". Well that is true. I simply tied a couple of loops to keep the buoy from sliding off the leaded line I use. Any of you Salty Dogs know what the commercials use or know what he was talking about? I did a search for pot buoy knots and was unsuccessful. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
gr84x4
Steelhead

Default Re: crab pot buoy knots

Does your knot system work? If so, use it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTime View Post
I went crabbing last week and one of the locals looked at my pots and said "looks like you don't know how to tie a buoy knot". Well that is true. I simply tied a couple of loops to keep the buoy from sliding off the leaded line I use. Any of you Salty Dogs know what the commercials use or know he was talking about? I did a search for pot buoy knots and was unsuccessful. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thanks for any help.
gr84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
KingSlew
King Salmon

What type of line are you using? Hollow PolyPro? Three strand twisted?
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
DownTime
Steelhead

I use three strand twisted leaded line bought at the sportsmans show in Portland
Old 10-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #5
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

I tie something similar to an anchor knot and tape the end with electrical tape, works for me.

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
KingSlew
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownTime View Post
I use three strand twisted leaded line bought at the sportsmans show in Portland

You will have to tape or else use back splice and eye splice. See tutorial: http://www.neropes.com/SplicingGuideChoice.aspx

As for the knots themselves, clove hitches will work for attaching the bridle to the pot. Use a sheet bend for attaching mainline to pot bridle and an eye splice to the buoy end. If you do the buoy lines with eyes at both ends, you can add floats and/or line sections for deeper sets. See:http://www.animatedknots.com/indexbo...matedknots.com
Old 10-14-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
cougman
Tuna!

Next time you are at th coast and by Englunds ask them to show you. They helped a buddy of mine set up his pots.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
havnfun2
Ifish Nate

knots are important, this last weekend while under the light house out of ilwaco my prop got fouled up in a poly line. the line had an over hand loop knot in it but there was NO floats. so this owener of the pot did NOT tye a good knot.
havnfun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
Han Solo
King Salmon

Electrical tape will stop the poly line from coming untied. Don't ask me how I know this.
Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
tomictime
Sturgeon

bowline is probably the best single knot to learn, esp for lines w load on them....
tomictime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #11
Black Bolt
Steelhead

Buy your crab line from Englunds - they have the line in lengths from 25 to 100 ft and floating or sinking. All the lines have spliced loops at each end. Also, buy your floats from them. Their floats also come pretied with the correct spliced loop at each end. Perfect solution!

Dave Laird - Black Bolt
Black Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bolt View Post
Buy your crab line from Englunds - they have the line in lengths from 25 to 100 ft and floating or sinking. All the lines have spliced loops at each end. Also, buy your floats from them. Their floats also come pretied with the correct spliced loop at each end. Perfect solution!

Dave Laird - Black Bolt
That works. I buy my buoys there, but I bought a 1200 ft spool of leaded line at the sportsmen's show, cut it into lengths of 50' and/or 100', then spliced loops in both ends of each piece. Splicing loops in leaded line is not easy for me, but I got better at it as I did more of them, it's something to do during the winter evenings. And it was much less expensive than buying the pre-spliced lines.
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #13
loveseafood
Steelhead

Thumbs up Re: crab pot buoy knots

if your knots work use them if you want a little extra protection use some electrical tape or like i do use some zip ties on the end so they wont untie
loveseafood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
Slugranch
Chromer

The guys @ Englunds showed me a way to tie crab floats that's easy and permanent. They are happy to show you.
Slugranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #15
Sam-on
Steelhead

Thanks for all the knot info my pots will be safer
Sam-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #16
Bull Hunter
Chromer

Maybe I missed it but I am still trying to figure out which knot is a buoy knot...LOL!

JM - Don't be giving me any grief!!!!!
Bull Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #17
Gundog
King Salmon

I have tied the crab pot buoy knot before but it was a long time ago I could probably figure it out again but not good enough to explain without actually doing it. I will look at some I have at home. Here is an old post I made years ago that is in the Tech Tips Forum that will show you step by step how to splice 3 strand.

Mike

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...ht=rope+splice
Gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

Spliced loops work. As far as a buoy knot check out the Lobster Buoy knot or the Buntline on this page

http://www.realknots.com/knots/hitches.htm
Old 10-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
Gundog
King Salmon

The buoy knot I have made in the past makes an eye or loop at each end of the float and you just pass it through the spliced eye in the rope to make a choker so they go on and off real easy. The knot gets sucked in really tight at both ends of the float.

Mike
Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #20
Keta
King Salmon

Tie an overhand or figure 8 knot, slide float to knot, take rope over float and follow the line back through the knot, stick end of rope back through the float and attach to pot or splice in an eye to attach to pot rope.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #21
Bull Hunter
Chromer

Mike,

I saw your post on tying spliced eyes and that is what got me started. I first tied bridles up with them, then went to tying up different lengths of line for the pots so I can add lengths for deeper water. Now I am figuring out a way to attach the buoy on with spliced eyes so they can be removed really easy when we add lengths of line.

You started me off on a real mess with that post of yours...LMAO!!!! Tying spliced eyes in leaded line is going to be the death of me....GREAT POST by the way!!!

Stickfish, I like that page you suggested...I will find a knot and get er done! Thanks!!!!
Bull Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #22
Robalo Bill
Chromer

Saw the post and just got a chance to take some pictures. If you use this system you can quickly vary your spread and depth. The larger loops will allow changing length of shot and number of bouys. Start with 15 feet of line passed through the bouy as shown.

Take each tag end and wrap toward the float 2-4 times, leave coils loose for the next step.

Now pass the tag end through the loops away from the float. Dress the knot by pulling on the tag ends and loops at the same time. This will snug up your float. I also melt the tag ends to eliminate fraying.

Looks good so far. To bomb proof your knot, place several hundred pounds of force on both loops. I'll put one loop on a stationary object (post, tree with a chain and hook or friends hitch) I use my winch to apply pressure or you can just use another truck hitch. When your knot is dressed it should be in a manner that pleases you...because it's never coming apart. Loop to loop connections are fool proof and still will come apart after months in the ocean.

Regards
Bill
Robalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
Gundog
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robalo Bill View Post
Saw the post and just got a chance to take some pictures. If you use this system you can quickly vary your spread and depth. The larger loops will allow changing length of shot and number of bouys. Start with 15 feet of line passed through the bouy as shown.

Take each tag end and wrap toward the float 2-4 times, leave coils loose for the next step.

Now pass the tag end through the loops away from the float. Dress the knot by pulling on the tag ends and loops at the same time. This will snug up your float. I also melt the tag ends to eliminate fraying.

Looks good so far. To bomb proof your knot, place several hundred pounds of force on both loops. I'll put one loop on a stationary object (post, tree with a chain and hook or friends hitch) I use my winch to apply pressure or you can just use another truck hitch. When your knot is dressed it should be in a manner that pleases you...because it's never coming apart. Loop to loop connections are fool proof and still will come apart after months in the ocean.

Regards
Bill
That is the one I was talking about. Maybe we can get this in the Tech Tips for further reference.