Fishing in and around Glacier NP? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 04-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
Riverteeth
Tuna!

Default Fishing in and around Glacier NP?

Folks,

Looks like I will be going to Glacier NP, around late August. Where do I find info about fishing in the area (both inside and outside the park)?

Could also bring a drift boat to float the rivers if it was worthwhile (yes, I know I cannot bring it inside the national park). Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated! Thanks,

RT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
flatman
King Salmon

Default Re: Fishing in and around Glacier NP?

you can google a lot of it. i know much about all of the area and all the things to see and do.

only river there to float in the drift boat is the main stem of the flathead for smaller trout, or the lower middle fork which may be better but august is the doldrums for fishing other than high country lakes in the area.

if you need specific things let me know.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
Califbill
Chromer

Was there last year. Used my inflatable Hobie Kayaks. Used in Lake McDonald and Many Lakes on the East
Side. If staying in the park, one inspection for the stay. We stayed in West Glacier. So had to get the free inspection each day. Pretty simple and quick. I think the only rivers that really have fishable,water are outside the park. There are small falls upstream of Lake McDonald which the Glacier Redbus driver said stops fish migration not too far out of the lake. Did not catch any fish, but was hot. Reason we stayed in West Glacier, so hookup for the AC in the camper. Fish were deep. Boat with downrigger or maybe electronics so you could jig the lakes. Saw guides on the Flathead river in rafts. Taking the boat this summer to Flaming .gorge, which could be an option after Glacier. As to Glacier
Area. Take the Redbus all day tour over the Going to the Sun Road. Allows you to sightsee while traveling. Bad traffic otherwise. Eat at the Backroom in Columbia Falls. Great ribs and Indian Fry bread with honey butter. Reasonable. Most all the Huckleberry Ice cream is good.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #4
Iceman
Steelhead

Check out the Blackfeet Reservation on the east side of Glacier. Duck Lake used to be fishy. Haven’t been there in ages though. Needed a tribal permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #5
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Check out the Blackfeet Reservation on the east side of Glacier. Duck Lake used to be fishy. Haven’t been there in ages though. Needed a tribal permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty sure that is where I fished for pike many years ago(mid 70's). Drove thru the park from Kalispell to the lake. Real weedy shoreline. We just waded out to edge of tule line and cast lures/spinners. Seems like it was close to US/Canada border. Sorry been too long for more details.
Jedcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #6
Snapt
Super Moderator

The Sun is one of the only river options I know of. Be careful if in Browning...
Snapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:54 AM   #7
bllelk
Tuna!

Location: In a tent down by the river in Elkton, most of the time

The North Fork of the Flathead has plenty of trout above Polebridge. In the same area the stream coming out of Kintla Lake has plenty of fish. Down South outside the park the South Fork of the Flathead where it comes out of the wilderness area and crosses US 2 has plenty of fish if you walk upstream a mile or so to get away from the pressure. There were may be some closures to protect Bull Trout so be aware. I'd leave the boat home, there's usually lot's of boat traffic that time of year. Last time I was there it was $400 to get on the Reservation, passed on that. East Glacier has some fishing but my experience was it was so-so. If you get up to the Belly River in the N.E. corner of the park, I'd like to hear about that. Almost everything I've described is fishable with a 4wt. or smaller if the wind isn't blowing.
Have fun, don't forget the Bearclaws at the Polebridge store.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:56 AM   #8
bllelk
Tuna!

Location: In a tent down by the river in Elkton, most of the time

Almost forgot, the Huckleberries should be ripe! Lots of Huckleberries around Glacier.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #9
MC#5
Cutthroat

Hit any creek mouth for the lake. 4 wt. size 12 or 14 scuds under a large caddis or simulator. May need to get deeper on some of the larger creeks. Last time there lots of Grayling and Cutts.
MC#5 is offline   Reply With Quote