Fishing on Thursday - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
The Duck
Steelhead

Default Fishing on Thursday

Ocean is looking good for Thursday. Thought I would drop a couple of crab pots on the way out of Depot Bay. Has anyone heard anything about how they're doing and about where.

May your hearts be filled with love and your freezer with self gotten game!
The Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Default Re: Fishing on Thursday

7' swell and 10 MPH south wind? No thanks.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
parker28
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
7' swell and 10 MPH south wind? No thanks.
Me 2! No thanks
parker28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #4
flatman
King Salmon

what a bunch of wimps. i bet you guys wouldn't walk 3 miles through the snow to get to the school bus when you were kids either.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
what a bunch of wimps. i bet you guys wouldn't walk 3 miles through the snow to get to the school bus when you were kids either.

some of us wimps lived long enough to fish in our retirement!

I've been out of Depoe enough to like going out of there, but I think all the times I did go were when the bar was unrestricted. I personally have no desire to go when there is a restriction, any restriction. The swell today is from the west, Thursday it'll be from about 20º N of West, aka approximately WNW. That and the tides (which don't affect the hole as much as bars with a river) along with a morning south wind make Thursday a no-go for me.

Maybe Sunday and/or Monday, gotta wait till the forecast is more dependable.
ron m
ron m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
Soulakala
King Salmon

With another low pressure front coming in I don't think the swell is die down till maybe mid week next week.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
The Duck
Steelhead

So using the NOAA point and click forecast it is calling for 9kt winds from ssw, with 7 ft. swell and 1-2 ft. WW. Magic seaweed saying 6.5 swell from W. with secondary swell 1.5 SW. at 13 sec. I'm not sure what you guys are looking at and why the difference. And big question is what is right ??? And has anybody done any crabbing?

Old 04-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
Puffin
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
Barefoot an uphill both ways
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #9
Puffin
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duck View Post
So using the NOAA point and click forecast it is calling for 9kt winds from ssw, with 7 ft. swell and 1-2 ft. WW. Magic seaweed saying 6.5 swell from W. with secondary swell 1.5 SW. at 13 sec. I'm not sure what you guys are looking at and why the difference. And big question is what is right ??? And has anybody done any crabbing?
There is no right or wrong it’s an age old Mariners question to go or not go it’s a personal decision I went out to weeks ago on a 9 foot swell 2 foot wind out but it was a long ocean swell that was a beautiful day the number isn’t necessarily the only thing you’re looking at a lot of variables involved and guys learn over time to make their personal decision based on their experience
Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
geterdone
Chromer

I try to steer clear of the forecast if a south wind is predicted and a questionable swell height. South wind can be unpredictable, so for me it is an easy no go, especially since I would need to take work off and tug the boat to the coast.

I'm also saving my back beatings for halibut season right around the corner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2019, 11:17 AM   #11
Tinman

As others have said, any prediction of south wind tends to be unreliable. It is very common for the south wind to be much worse than predicted. I think that's why lots of people just don't want to go if any sort of south wind is in the forecast.

One trick is to keep checking the forecast twice a day. If the wind forecast stays the same for your target day, that's good. But if the forecast keeps changing, it means things are unstable, and they don't really know what is going to happen.

Last edited by Tinman; 04-17-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #12
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
I use about 5 different sites and they're all different. Need to look at them all and make your own judgement on what it might be. My little 20'er needs a fairly soft ocean and I don't like being beat up. Anything above lake-like conditions takes away from the enjoyment of going out. A 7' swell at Garibaldi would restrict the bar above my boat length. Bigger boat and younger guys can have it to themselves.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
Puffin
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geterdone View Post

I'm also saving my back beatings for halibut season right around the corner.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I don’t do this anymore it’s a soft ride or none at all
Old 04-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #14
Fishing Dear
Tuna!

This forecast looks like a sucker window to me;

Thursday
SSW wind around 9 kt. Mostly cloudy. W swell 7 to 8 ft at 13 seconds. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Still adds up to more seas than what would be comfortable
Old 04-17-2019, 04:20 PM   #15
flatman
King Salmon

South wind for this wimp and if I put in I usually chicken out and fish the jetties and crab
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:15 PM   #16
JeffO
Steelhead

Buddy and I tried to talk ourselves into Thursday (tomorrow) ... it's a good day for him to get away in general... but even with beer goggles on, we couldn't make it work; 7' swells and the period isn't THAT long... sounds kinda pukey.

Monday is looking "maybe". But I have a really small boat. We shall see. Gonna go chase walleye instead tomorrow.

Last edited by JeffO; 04-17-2019 at 10:17 PM.
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #17
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

The best way to predict what the ocean is doing is to live over there or be over there to see for your self. To many times I have been camping over there and looked at the forecast for the week. The whole week looks like a 'no go' then I walk to the beach in the morning and when you crest that last sand dune you see a lake. And a few boats running in and out, they are the lucky locals that see it and do it. I also consider this the near shore fishery because if the weather goes the way of the forecast you can get in quickly.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #18
Crazy Outdoors
Steelhead

Well just got home from fishing Depoe off a charter. It was lumpy in close but outside was not too bad. Saw one sled out there. We did hook a salmon and a 46" halibut that were both return to catch at a later date.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:49 PM   #19
The Duck
Steelhead

Well I did leave from Salem this morning and got to Depot Bay to find it closed for anything under 26'. We decided to go to Newport and try for crab and found the bar restricted to 20'. I'm 23 so we went. Dropped traps at 60' and north only to get 3 females. We did however find 14 sea bass. The swells were pretty high but gentle. Someone once said if you only fish the good predictions your not going to fish a lot. I took a chance since it's the first time I've tried to get out since Oct. I do want to say that I appreciate the input also a day that has only 3 or 4 boats at the launch. If you see a Trophy with the name Florence Lee please say hi.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #20
Brads Dad
Tuna!

Quote:
Well I did leave from Salem this morning and got to Depot Bay to find it closed for anything under 26'. We decided to go to Newport and try for crab and found the bar restricted to 20'. I'm 23 so we went. Dropped traps at 60' and north only to get 3 females. We did however find 14 sea bass. The swells were pretty high but gentle. Someone once said if you only fish the good predictions your not going to fish a lot. I took a chance since it's the first time I've tried to get out since Oct. I do want to say that I appreciate the input also a day that has only 3 or 4 boats at the launch. If you see a Trophy with the name Florence Lee please say hi.
May have seen you coming back in to the marina? We were fishing the fingers from slack to high tide today. Saw one person at the cleaning station with a nice Ling and a couple of rocks. Our fish were stuffed with micro mini crabs.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #21
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Well done. No guts, no glory.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #22
Spider Bit
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Outdoors View Post
Well just got home from fishing Depoe off a charter. It was lumpy in close but outside was not too bad. Saw one sled out there. We did hook a salmon and a 46" halibut that were both return to catch at a later date.

Was this you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spider Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #23
Crazy Outdoors
Steelhead

Yep