5-Cents Smoked Salmon Step by Step With Pics - Page 3 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Tech Tips and Keepers

Old 10-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #121
jfisher
Tuna!

Default Re: 5-Cents Smoked Salmon Step by Step With Pics

I am hear by shutting down this thread on the grounds that this recipe was STOLEN from Oregon Lou.

Totally disgraceful

Dam good recipe though!!

jfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #122
waterbobber
Sturgeon

...tried the recipe again today....yep, it still works!
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #123
eklarsen

I recently purchased a new Traeger and thought I would give this recipe a whirl. I had a couple pounds of Kokanee and everything appeared to be going well. 24 hours in the brine, 2 hours in the smoker and I had something that looked kinda like what 5-cent had going on there.
I ended up with a couple small pieces of fish flavored, salty, candied jerky. My conclusion was that I need to cut back on the salt and time in the smoker for the smaller fish. Don't cook much but this made me feel like a scientist.

Thanks for sharing.
eklarsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #124
Steelhead Lunatic
Tuna!

Instead of putting honey on the fish for a glaze try this; mix dark brown sugar with just a little bit of water in order to make a paste then spread that paste on the fish before putting it in the oven. Delicious!
Steelhead Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #125
huntin&fishin
Steelhead

I love it!!!
Thanks
huntin&fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #126
Swifty27
Ifish Nate

I tweaked it a little:

2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup salt
1 tbsp onion salt
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp white pepper
1 tbsp dried hot mustard
1 tbsp dried lemon peel (I used lemon pepper because that what I had)
1 tbsp dill weed
1 cup white sugar
1 tbsp Cayenne Pepper

I liked how it came out. I also put the fish up on cookie racks instead of sitting directly on the baking sheet. It kept the honey from burning onto the fish. Another tip is to put foil over the baking sheet for easier cleanup.

Works on steelhead too.

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #127
Flyingfool
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklarsen View Post
I recently purchased a new Traeger and thought I would give this recipe a whirl. I had a couple pounds of Kokanee and everything appeared to be going well. 24 hours in the brine, 2 hours in the smoker and I had something that looked kinda like what 5-cent had going on there.
I ended up with a couple small pieces of fish flavored, salty, candied jerky. My conclusion was that I need to cut back on the salt and time in the smoker for the smaller fish. Don't cook much but this made me feel like a scientist.

Thanks for sharing.
Any idea's on what the times to smoke and brine should be for kokanee??

Thanks,
FF
Flyingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #128
waterbobber
Sturgeon

Just took a batch out of the oven! Sure glad it's still legal to smoke salmon!

So, it was a huge hit....everyone wanted the recipe!
waterbobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 PM   #129
Reel Obsession
King Salmon

SCORE!!!!!

No, not Olympic ice hockey. I just found some of my 5-Cents smoked salmon in the freezer. How it ever lasted long enough to be sealed, frozen, and lost in the freezer I'm not quite sure. I think this may be some intended for relatives at Christmas. But I do know for sure is that it won't last long now....

RO

I fish because that's what the voices in my head tell me to do.
Reel Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #130
DirtyHooker
Fry

I almost want to eat a piece before it goes in the smoker.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
DirtyHooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #131
Norseman79
Steelhead

Thanks for this post, I'm really looking forward to this recipe, looks great.
Norseman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #132
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

And again!
Got some URB chunks brining as we speak.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #133
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

It was all I had for dinner last night ...

Old 09-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #134
wishnIwasfishn
Steelhead

What temp and how long do you smoke it for???

Semper Fi
Old 09-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #135
wishnIwasfishn
Steelhead

Someone's got to know. 85k views and no one knows!?!?!

Semper Fi
Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #136
Twitch
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnIwasfishn View Post
Someone's got to know. 85k views and no one knows!?!?!

Semper Fi
I always smoke on a lower temp; 120-140*
How long is a matter of how big/thick your chunks are. I just did some steelhead with this method, and smoked for 1-1.5 hrs, and did the honey finish in the oven.

Thicker chinook will take longer. Inspect after an hour, and use a good digital thermometer to check internal temps on pieces.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #137
Slammertime
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishnIwasfishn View Post
What temp and how long do you smoke it for???

Semper Fi
Temperature is not something to take lightly. There are some pretty nasty illnesses you can spread if not done properly. To prevent botulism, etc., the thickest part of the fish should reach a temp of 160 degrees for at least 30 minutes. Your smoker will probably need to reach 200-225 degrees to get the thickest meat hot enough. You should also bring the fish gradually up to this temp, it may take 3-5 hours + to get there. If it gets too hot too quick you get a curd that forms. After the fish is done, and to prevent bacterial germination and endospores, refrigerate it at 38 degrees or colder (freezing will actually kill harmful bacteria that may have survived the curing and smoking process.)

It is also recommended that you rinse the fish and dry it AFTER brining it, and before putting it in the smoker. Rinsing will remove salt tolerant bacteria that survived the brine.

Here is an article by the University of Wisconsin that has great info on fish preparation, brining, smoking, as well as food safety.

http://www.foodsafety.wisc.edu/asset...gyourcatch.pdf

A couple other notes: I scrape off all the slime on the skin prior too brining, and if I have time, will even scale the fish. Sometimes scales will accidentally end up on the meat. After the fish is brined, they are easy to spot and you can peel them off at that point. Great smoked fish starts early in the process, like right after you catch the fish. Bleed it, gut it and remove the gills, as those are areas where bacteria grows. Also make sure it's iced properly while on the boat, and kept refrigerated when you get home. The better the quality of the fish going into the smoker, the better the quality coming out of the smoker!!

I also use a dry brine and have yet to have someone turn down my smoked salmon. On more than one occasion I've been told it's the best smoked salmon/steelhead they've ever had.

Happy smoking!
Slammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #138
something_fishy
Coho

Thanks for the rundown on this awesome recipe. It looks fantastic. Umm... I have a problem with step one though. I went to the freezer and there does not seem to be enough salmon. I'm going to have to tuck this one away for a time when I'm more successful at fishing but I can't wait to try it out.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #139
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Salt tolerant bacteria, what is your take on that 5-Cents? No-rinse or rinse?

I mean I'm a firm believer if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially a thread that recurrs over and over for 10 something years!

I'm trying this recipe this weekend bro between service calls

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #140
Slammertime
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1977 View Post
Salt tolerant bacteria, what is your take on that 5-Cents? No-rinse or rinse?

I mean I'm a firm believer if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Especially a thread that recurrs over and over for 10 something years!

I'm trying this recipe this weekend bro between service calls

5-Cents brine is terrific, and will be for the next 100 years, but minimizing the chances of food borne illness is just good practice. I hope you take the time to read the posted link, it was written by someone much smarter than myself, and who is an expert in food borne illnesses.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #141
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammertime View Post
5-Cents brine is terrific, and will be for the next 100 years, but minimizing the chances of food borne illness is just good practice. I hope you take the time to read the posted link, it was written by someone much smarter than myself, and who is an expert in food borne illnesses.
Trust me I know what you are talking about, my wife is a health freak earth friendly eat this eat that kind of gal. I hear it everytime I enter kitchen.

Has anyone gotten botulism or the Tijuana two steps from not rinsing? Just seems there be more tasty ingredients left by not rinsing, like all those seasonings....

Old 09-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #142
Slammertime
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger1977 View Post
Trust me I know what you are talking about, my wife is a health freak earth friendly eat this eat that kind of gal. I hear it everytime I enter kitchen.

Has anyone gotten botulism or the Tijuana two steps from not rinsing? Just seems there be more tasty ingredients left by not rinsing, like all those seasonings....

Several years back I got really into smoking fish. Before reading up on this subject, I played by the model of "Ignorance is Bliss". I simply didn't know what was out there and how to avoid it. But now that I know what's out there, and how easy it is to avoid, I personally don't see the need to risk it. Even though the cases of illness from smoked fish are probably few and far between, some of the diseases are fatal, and not something I'm willing to risk on behalf of myself, my family, or my friends.

I don't know many that would knowingly want to take that chance, particularly when there are other ways around it but yet still achieving the same desired result. For example, when I mix my dry brine, I leave some left over in a bag. Once I've rinsed the fish and dry it off, I sprinkle that over the top of the fish prior to going into the smoker. It develops a similar glaze, especially if done on low temperatures at the beginning of the smoke.

When I smoke fish, particularly when providing it to others who are trusting my cleanliness, my priorities are health/safety first, and taste of the product a close second. Don't get me wrong, I take serious pride in my smoked fish, but even more pride in being confident any smoked fish I give to to others won't make them sick.

If nothing else, read the article so you have the info from an expert in food borne illnesses. What steps you choose to take from there are your call.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #143
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

I agree, just don't want to jack up the recipe. I like the idea of shaking extra brine after rinse though.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:37 AM   #144
The Likes
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammertime View Post
It is also recommended that you rinse the fish and dry it AFTER brining it, and before putting it in the smoker. Rinsing will remove salt tolerant bacteria that survived the brine.
Salt tolerant bacteria on the surface of the fish that didn't penetrate into the fish...

Meanwhile the surface of the fish gets the hottest the fastest and for the longest...

To each his own and please take what ever precautions you deem necessary to make sure your food is safe. I will not be rinsing mine.

If the hours of smoking, polished off by 20 minutes in a 325 degree oven don't kill what ever you are suggesting might be on the surface of the fish, then I don't think a rinse and dry will do much to significantly effect it either.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:48 AM   #145
Swifty27
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Likes View Post
Salt tolerant bacteria on the surface of the fish that didn't penetrate into the fish...

Meanwhile the surface of the fish gets the hottest the fastest and for the longest...

To each his own and please take what ever precautions you deem necessary to make sure your food is safe. I will not be rinsing mine.

If the hours of smoking, polished off by 20 minutes in a 325 degree oven don't kill what ever you are suggesting might be on the surface of the fish, then I don't think a rinse and dry will do much to significantly effect it either.
Kind of what I was thinking, but I'll take a look at the link. Especially when all my smoked fish starts by being frozen, which was cited as a means of killing bacteria. I think it helps take up the brine too.

Scent from phone via Tapatalk
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #146
MattiG
Chromer

The rinse/dry are important, not because of bacterial considerations, but because it better facilitates proper pellicle formation. If you have a bunch of gunky, delicious, herby brine goo on top, you don't have a pellicle, and if you don't have a proper pellicle, it's not as good as it would be if you did. If you want that delicious crusty stuff on top, reserve some of the brine seasoning and mix it in with the honey before the baking step.
MattiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #147
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

So I rinsed mine for same reason MattiG said to form pellicle. Lightly sprinkled brine after pellicle formation and it turned own pretty darn fantastic. Just an FYI.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:48 AM   #148
The Likes
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty27 View Post
Kind of what I was thinking, but I'll take a look at the link. Especially when all my smoked fish starts by being frozen, which was cited as a means of killing bacteria. I think it helps take up the brine too.
If anyone reads the link they will see that every concern and precaution is accounted for if you follow the recipes directions. Freeze first, cut fish into 1 to 1 1/2 inch thick, brine in low salt solution for 24-36 hours, smoke for hours, finish off in oven. The only advice not taken is the rinse, and based on the way the article is written(mixing food safety with flavor and appearance tips) it seems that instruction is more for achieving a pellicle then it is for real food safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The rinse/dry are important, not because of bacterial considerations, but because it better facilitates proper pellicle formation. If you have a bunch of gunky, delicious, herby brine goo on top, you don't have a pellicle, and if you don't have a proper pellicle, it's not as good as it would be if you did. If you want that delicious crusty stuff on top, reserve some of the brine seasoning and mix it in with the honey before the baking step.
Just informationally, after having made this several times and not rinsing a single time I can tell you for a fact that letting it sit until it forms a un-rinsed pellicle works fantastic. The surface becomes nice and tacky and the resulting smoked fish is smokey enough to fill my house and bring over neighbors on all four sides of my house. What ever doesn't get eaten right then and there gets vacuum sealed and refrozen. Upon opening those bags a wonderful smokiness rises in the air and attracts all sorts of fish loving mammals through out the house/office/park/boat/pretty much where ever I am.

Just saying... this recipe works the way it is written. People have made tweeks and changes to suit themselves and their tastes. That's great but it doesn't detract from the fact that the original recipe is amazing.
Old 09-26-2014, 05:14 AM   #149
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Dang it. I'm so sick of Kool-Aid!

Old 09-27-2014, 03:32 AM   #150
MattiG
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Likes View Post

Just informationally, after having made this several times and not rinsing a single time I can tell you for a fact that letting it sit until it forms a un-rinsed pellicle works fantastic. The surface becomes nice and tacky and the resulting smoked fish is smokey enough to fill my house and bring over neighbors on all four sides of my house. What ever doesn't get eaten right then and there gets vacuum sealed and refrozen. Upon opening those bags a wonderful smokiness rises in the air and attracts all sorts of fish loving mammals through out the house/office/park/boat/pretty much where ever I am.

Just saying... this recipe works the way it is written. People have made tweeks and changes to suit themselves and their tastes. That's great but it doesn't detract from the fact that the original recipe is amazing.
I agree. The recipe works fine as written. I was just explaining the rationale. That said, It's easy enough to experiment with this stage if the process. Try it with a piece or two of the same batch and the differences are readily apparent. I like it both ways, but doing the rinse and then adding some of the brine back during the honey step sacrifices nothing in terms of a nice punchy exterior flavor, yet creates a more uniform smokey flavor throughout. This observation is based on my taste buds and side by side testing in the same batch. YMMV.
MattiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #151
ginger1977
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I agree. The recipe works fine as written. I was just explaining the rationale. That said, It's easy enough to experiment with this stage if the process. Try it with a piece or two of the same batch and the differences are readily apparent. I like it both ways, but doing the rinse and then adding some of the brine back during the honey step sacrifices nothing in terms of a nice punchy exterior flavor, yet creates a more uniform smokey flavor throughout. This observation is based on my taste buds and side by side testing in the same batch. YMMV.
Good point! Everybodies taste buds are their taste buds!

Old 04-24-2015, 05:53 AM   #152
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

For those Treager users;
If your heat control is a newer electronic one you will notice a small hole in the upper right hand corner. Use a straightened out paper clip and put in the hole and push. Do this a few times until the read out states 4. That should put it at around 145* on smoke. For older versions of the electronic control you need to unscrew it from the unit. MAKE SURE TO UNPLUG FIRST. Once pulled out look on the back in the same upper right hand corner. You should see a little dial with a notch in the center with numbers on the outer edge. Turn the dial to 4 and again you should be running about 145* on smoke. The higher the number the cooler the temperature so makes it fairly easy to adjust to temperatures that work best for you. Hope this helps. All though I didn't do this myself I believe the Treager web site has instructions for doing this. May be worth a few minutes time to check that out.
Another site to check out for recommended cooking temps and internal temps.
http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-...eratures-chart
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:55 PM   #153
twobullz
Ifish Nate

Tried the recipe today, turned out good. I think in the future I will use less pepper, but I am not a big pepper fan.
twobullz is offline   Reply With Quote