2019 Odell Reports - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 05-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #61
Ryantoy25
Steelhead

Any update on princess creek and trapper creek being open?

Ryantoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 06:27 AM   #62
4labs
Chromer

Default Re: 2019 Odell Reports

Heard PC is open
Will be up there next week for a day shot
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #63
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer View Post
Anyone know where I can buy Lucky Duck jigs?
Hi killer: I hate to break the bad news to you but there is nothing special about Lucky Duck jigs. Nordic, Kokenator, AuFish jigs catch just as many Kokanee. The mold is basically the same . The same colors are successful. I believe pink and white is the best at certain times of the year, orange and white, solid orange, solid pink, light blue and white. If you are limited to 3 colors, 1. pink and white, 2. orange and white, 3. solid pink.

The reason Lucky Duck catches so many fish is because he has approx. $12,000.00+ dollars of state of the art sonar on his boat, and he has LEARNED how to use it.
HalibutZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:57 AM   #64
Mountain Beaver
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalibutZach View Post
Hi killer: I hate to break the bad news to you but there is nothing special about Lucky Duck jigs. Nordic, Kokenator, AuFish jigs catch just as many Kokanee. The mold is basically the same . The same colors are successful. I believe pink and white is the best at certain times of the year, orange and white, solid orange, solid pink, light blue and white. If you are limited to 3 colors, 1. pink and white, 2. orange and white, 3. solid pink.

The reason Lucky Duck catches so many fish is because he has approx. $12,000.00+ dollars of state of the art sonar on his boat, and he has LEARNED how to use it.
I use pink and white Gibbs Minnow for casting to jumpers and Diamond dust jigs work well too. Don''t be afraid to experiment. MB.
Mountain Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #65
Ryantoy25
Steelhead

Thinking of going up Monday. Was looking at the weather but cant figure out if the wind is right or not the gusty wind I mean
Old 05-19-2019, 08:48 AM   #66
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryantoy25 View Post
Thinking of going up Monday. Was looking at the weather but cant figure out if the wind is right or not the gusty wind I mean
Here is your Monday wind forecast from what I use for whatever it is worth. It is usually pretty accurate:

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...5#.XOF6fbhS8SU
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #67
S Radke
Chromer

Princess and sunset ramps are open, docks at princess were NOT in on Saturday. Loading was a little hairy in the afternoon with 18" rollers from the southeast.

Trolling bite was good, go for it trollers. Better grade of fish than last year, similar size but I'd say 15% heavier.

-Scott
S Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #68
reelist
Steelhead

Fished Tues 5/21. West end. It snowed a bunch so we didn't start until 9 or so. Jigged with orange gibbs and buzz bombs tipped with scented corn. Buddy got 5. I didn't get a bump :-(

There were a LOT of schools on the fish finder but very few biters. Trollers did better at ~60' but not stellar. Water temp at 46º is what I'm blaming :-)

reelist
reelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 PM   #69
Ryantoy25
Steelhead

Is princess creek boat ramp open for sure and is the dock in? What about trapper creek?
Old 05-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #70
1pump
King Salmon

Docks are NOT in yet at PC. Camp host says 2 weeks, maybe. Ramp is open, but good luck in this wind. It's howling right now.
Been here since Mon night. Weather has varied between insane and psychotic. Today's weather isn't horrible, but we had to stop fishing because the wind blew all of the water out of the lake.
We haven't kept a real accurate count, but we're around 150 kokes so far, and 1 Mack that I let go. And they're bigger than the last couple of years. We got on top of a big school yesterday and yanked almost 30 fish out of it, and they were all 12" plus, and fat.
About 80% we caught jigging 3/4 or 1 oz jigs in 110' of water, most of the rest by casting to jumpers when it was calm enough, and a few more surface trolling.
Predictably, campgrounds are starting to fill up. We have a good spot at PC, and we're pulling out Sun afternoon, so if you want it you can have it then. 🙂
Old 05-26-2019, 07:07 AM   #71
Fin-reaper
Chromer

Does it look like trapper creek will open
Fin-reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #72
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
Docks are NOT in yet at PC. Camp host says 2 weeks, maybe. Ramp is open, but good luck in this wind. It's howling right now.
Been here since Mon night. Weather has varied between insane and psychotic. Today's weather isn't horrible, but we had to stop fishing because the wind blew all of the water out of the lake.
We haven't kept a real accurate count, but we're around 150 kokes so far, and 1 Mack that I let go. And they're bigger than the last couple of years. We got on top of a big school yesterday and yanked almost 30 fish out of it, and they were all 12" plus, and fat.
About 80% we caught jigging 3/4 or 1 oz jigs in 110' of water, most of the rest by casting to jumpers when it was calm enough, and a few more surface trolling.
Predictably, campgrounds are starting to fill up. We have a good spot at PC, and we're pulling out Sun afternoon, so if you want it you can have it then. 🙂
So Odell went dry over the weekend? 😜😜😜
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #73
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Fished yesterday, 5.25.19. We started fishing at 700am, temp. 32 deg, no wind, a little overcast, no rain, did not feel like 32 degrees tho, felt warmer. We had warm Sun from 9am-noon and then it started changing. The forecast starting at 4pm was for continued winds, heavy rain, and up to 6 inches of snow. Princess Creek campground was full of tent campers, and we hoped their tents would hold up to the snow. I guess they do not follow the weather forecasts, Dohhhhhhh...........

We started out jigging, caught 10 in about a hour. Jig bite was light and slow. About 9am it warmed up to 48 degrees. Water temp. was 48 degrees. We started trolling and it was basically non stop action. Charlie did use a pink smiley blade hoochie setup with a pink bone pattern dodger, and I used a conventional orange hoochie setup, with a orange crush pattern, dodger. The dodgers we use are from a company in Idaho. Trolling @ 1.1-1.3mph. At first Charlie was red hot catching, I am sure it was the pink color. So I switched to pink and I was catching like him, so, I do not think the smiley blade thing makes much difference, maybe a little. Tuna corn and pink crappie nibbles was the bait. Fish were down in the 20-30 ft. depth range. Every several minutes we would get bit and we had 4-5 doubles. Sometimes we would get bit while we were letting out the line. We could not even get a break to eat some egg salad sandwiches that I brought along. So, we had a lot of fun until about noon, then the wind came up big time, to 10-15mph, 2-3 ft waves one after another, could hardly stand up in the boat, had to use the big motor to troll, but, we were still catching fish. At 100pm the conditions were just to nasty, and we called it a ball game. We headed in and left a hot bite. Loading the boat at PC was challenging. No docks in yet. If they are not going to have the docks in yet, WHY open the Furkin campground??????

Here is the Nugget: We put 30 fat ones in the cooler, we lost 20 at the boat, we had approx. 20 drive by"s, where they on on, you pick up the rod and they are gone, thats, part of Kokanee fishing.

I am glad we left @130pm yesterday as the storm did hit there at approx. 5-6pm and they woke up to 4 + inches of fresh snow and 30 degree temps. Sunday morning. Yikes...........

Came home to a savage rain storm. What the Duck??????

Last edited by HalibutZach; 05-26-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #74
1pump
King Salmon

Quote:
I am glad we left @130pm yesterday as the storm did hit there at approx. 5-6pm and they woke up to 4 + inches of fresh snow and 30 degree temps. Sunday morning. Yikes...........

Came home to a savage rain storm. What the Duck??????

Got up this morning (in my tent) and wanted to change my clothes, but nooooooooo way was I going to disrobe in that chill. Not happening.
No final count yet, but we had somewhere between 170-190 fish for 5-1/2 days. I caught a mackinaw this morning that was an inch short of legal.

We had a beautiful drive home. Not a drop of rain, and it felt like 120 degrees after a week in that 5000' high icebox. Sure was glad to see a flush toilet again, not to mention a shower.
I texted my wife this morning saying the skin on my nose hurt. Couldn't tell if it was sunburn or frostbite.
We fished in about every form of Cascades weather issued by Mom Nature. The only thing we didn't get was lightning.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:26 PM   #75
jackkingsalmon
Chromer

Fished Tuesday the 21st for about 3 hours. went 13 for 15 trolling. There about 50'-65' down. Orange Mysis bugs and purple Deadly Venom hoochie with moon glow blade.
jackkingsalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:43 AM   #76
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Is the water on at the fish cleaning station at Sunset Cove yet?
Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #77
Bikinjoe
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-on-bend View Post
Is the water on at the fish cleaning station at Sunset Cove yet?
It was on Friday when we were there.
Bikinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #78
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Were the jumpers showing much; or was it mostly a trolling and deep jigging show?
Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #79
1pump
King Salmon

Jumpers were sporadic. They were mostly active in the late evening. The guy I was fishing with lives, eats and breathes jumpers, so we chased them whenever we could. I'd say most of our fish were caught on the bottom due to the wind. But we must have caught at least fifty casting to jumpers when it was calm enough to cast. We didn't keep a good count.

We didn't really see anyone casting like we were. We got a few "point-and-stare" moments and a few chuckles from the herd when we got tired of jigging and started going for surface fish, but the laughs stopped when we hauled fish in.
We didn't see any point in continuing to jig on the bottom when the bite stopped. If something wasn't working, we did something else.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:48 PM   #80
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pump View Post
Jumpers were sporadic. They were mostly active in the late evening. The guy I was fishing with lives, eats and breathes jumpers, so we chased them whenever we could. I'd say most of our fish were caught on the bottom due to the wind. But we must have caught at least fifty casting to jumpers when it was calm enough to cast. We didn't keep a good count.

We didn't really see anyone casting like we were. We got a few "point-and-stare" moments and a few chuckles from the herd when we got tired of jigging and started going for surface fish, but the laughs stopped when we hauled fish in.
We didn't see any point in continuing to jig on the bottom when the bite stopped. If something wasn't working, we did something else.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:02 PM   #81
SCblackjet
Steelhead

Docks in at Princess Cr as if yesterday.
SCblackjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:32 PM   #82
Wildman
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCblackjet View Post
Docks in at Princess Cr as if yesterday.
Stop by yesterday an the dock was still in the parking lot
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:04 AM   #83
Pensacola
Tuna!

On the way home from Diamond Lake we hit Odell. Put in at Princess and nothing was going on out front so we headed for the west end. Lots of boats and a few jumpers but only three wanted to play. Water temp at surface was 46 degrees and there was a light riffle. Moved to west end and fished for two hours on the bottom which was about two feet thick of solid fish. No one was getting much of anything so we left at ten. I was surprised at the small size of the fish this year. The very few we saw landed by about 40 boats were nine to ten inches.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #84
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

One poster said the PC dock was put in and another said it was still in the parking lot. Of course, they could have observed the scene at different times. So, what is the story as of today, Saturday, in or not? Thanks.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #85
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
One poster said the PC dock was put in and another said it was still in the parking lot. Of course, they could have observed the scene at different times. So, what is the story as of today, Saturday, in or not? Thanks.
Right? Pics help
Old 06-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #86
SCblackjet
Steelhead

Your choice, but as of Friday am, Princess Cr docks were in. Watched them put em in on Thur.
SCblackjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #87
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Your choice, but as of Friday am, Princess Cr docks were in. Watched them put em in on Thur.
Thanks much for the reply.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #88
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Quote:
Awesome thanks
Old 06-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #89
Fishindude88
Steelhead

Caught our three days worth of limits Thursday-Sunday. Jigging on the bottom with 3/4 oz. Corn was optional. Did pretty well in most areas we tried with best results at Princess Creek and the other side of PC. (SE area between Serenity and Odell Lodge).
The mackinaw tournament and the uncertainty of PC docks made it crazy at the Sunset ramp. It was packed full by 6 am Saturday. Heard there were a few trailers getting bumped into. Be careful out there guys! We don’t want our day ruined when accidents can be avoided.
"Come follow me, I will make you fishers of men" Matthew 4:19
Fishindude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:15 PM   #90
HiTide
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude88 View Post
Caught our three days worth of limits Thursday-Sunday. Jigging on the bottom with 3/4 oz. Corn was optional. Did pretty well in most areas we tried with best results at Princess Creek and the other side of PC. (SE area between Serenity and Odell Lodge).
The mackinaw tournament and the uncertainty of PC docks made it crazy at the Sunset ramp. It was packed full by 6 am Saturday. Heard there were a few trailers getting bumped into. Be careful out there guys! We don’t want our day ruined when accidents can be avoided.
Lots of fish...but, any size?
HiTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #91
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:

Any jumpers; or all on the bottom?
Old 06-04-2019, 02:29 PM   #92
Fishindude88
Steelhead

Size were mostly all 10-12”. 95% were caught on the bottom. There were some jumpers in the morning but they didn’t play much
Old 06-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #93
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Size were mostly all 10-12”. 95% were caught on the bottom. There were some jumpers in the morning but they didn’t play much
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #94
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Thanks for the excellent report. Heading over to P.C. on Tuesday for 3 nights. First koke trip this year. Time to get the jigs wet. Weather forecast looks just right for an older buzzard
Old 06-10-2019, 06:42 AM   #95
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Fished yesterday, Sun. 6.9.19, Put in at Princess Creek, started out front in 123 FOW, trolled 1.2-1.4mph east again about 1/2 mile, fish were really congregated in this area, jumpers everywhere, lines in the water at 6am, 10 seconds, fish on. It was non-stop action from then on. Could not even eat a sandwich we were so busy. We fished until 1pm., limited out. We left a white hot bite. My friend lost 30 fish at the boat, I lost 15, we both limited again. Tuna corn out fished anise corn, kokanee killer corn. Pink & silver dodgers from a company in Boise, 8 inch leader to mini pink and white hoochie, white powder coated top hook, pink coated bottom hook tipped with tuna corn. Hoochie setups from the same co. in Boise. Today, water temp. was 54 degrees, sunburn, I never thought I would get tired of baiting the hook etc., but what great action, and of course its worth it. Fish were 9-11 inches and fatties. Nice grade this year. Canned Kokanee patties are some of the best eating on the Face of this Earth..........
Old 06-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #96
Fishindude88
Steelhead

Jigging season still exists! We caught another 60 on Saturday. All on the bottom near the viewpoint between Sunset and Princess Creek. 1oz jigs with tuna soaked white corn.
Trolling appears to be better now but the size of fish are larger at the bottom. 11-13” and fat. We may try it again in a week if they stay on the bottom.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #97
Rogerfishing
Fry

Any updates on Kokes at Odell? Are they still biting with the hot weather? What size are they now?
Rogerfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #98
H and H
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerfishing View Post
Any updates on Kokes at Odell? Are they still biting with the hot weather? What size are they now?

Sunday 6/9 old school Ford Fender and a 1.5 watermelon Apex got it done. Lots of short strikes, many 8 to 9 inchers shallow, go deeper for 11 to 13 inch fish. Constant action, lots of fun!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 AM   #99
Fishin4life!
Steelhead

Quote:
Fished Sunday 6/9 mostly jigging on the bottom 110-135' good sized fish color didn't really matter but needed corn, we used tuna. We also trolled a bit flatlining with 1/2-1oz gold dodgers with hoochies pink & also orange. Bigger fish were from the surface to 20', big schools deeper but the fish were smaller. Ended with 65 and a mack.
Fishin4life! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #100
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Fished yesterday 6.16.19. Put in at PC. Lines in the water at 530am. 2 of us fishing. About a 5mph West wind, sunny, beautiful weather to start. Using dodgers purchased from a company in Boise. Leaders from the same co. 12 inch leaders to normal 2 hook setup called the Banana Split. Hoochie colors are yellow, pink, white, red, orange with the same colored smiley spinner. Other rod with pink hoochie and smiley blade, 8 inch leader, with solid gold dodger called gold crush. Fish were 20-40 feet down, trolling 1.0-1.2mph. 30 seconds after lines in, fish on. The banana split rig out fished the other one by 6 to 1. Switched the other rod over and caught up. We did not have a white hot bite like last week but the bite was consistent. We had to fish longer and called it at 1pm. The wind had come up to about 12-14mph the last 2 hours we fished and we stayed at it until we limited. We lost 20 at the boat. Marked a ton of fish 10-15 feet off the bottom but the jiggers out there were reporting lock jaw.
Tuna oil corn and garlic slam o la corn worked well. Fish size was 9-11 inches.

FYI: This was my fourth trip up there this year and no mosquitoes until yesterday. They were everywhere and they were MEAN. Take Deet for sure.

Last edited by HalibutZach; 06-17-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM   #101
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Quote:
6/12 and 6/13... Shared a campsite at P.C. with long-time old friend Aufish101. Jigging was on the slow side with a light East wind and the kokes were biting really light on Wednesday. Fished out from the campground, experimenting with different depths and jigs. Both of us caught macs that day along with the kokes.

Thursday the wind switched around to the prevailing West and the fishing became red hot! I'd lost my anchor the day before so tied onto Gary's boat. We were fishing in the view point area in about 120' of water, right off the bottom. Fish were cruising through that area and hitting much harder than the day before. He got his limit along with another big mac, all macs were released to terrorize and cull the koke population. I don't like to freeze fish, so quit with two large smoker fulls. Left on Friday morning without fishing to beat the traffic.

We found that tipping the jigs with corn seemed to get more strikes. Three quarter and 1 oz jigs worked best in the deep water. I'd been using a 1/2 oz jig, but the heavier jigs resulted in more solid hook-ups and fish in the basket. Aufish makes very high quality jigs which I've caught hundreds of fish with throughout the years.

Wound up a great trip with good company and warm sunny weather. Pics below of Gary's second mac which ran 31 inches and fat.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #102
mrmike
Chromer

Great report thanks so much
mrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:44 PM   #103
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Thanks for the report Padre. The viewpoint at 120’ deep is ground zero for Macks.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #104
HalibutZach
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullhook View Post
6/12 and 6/13... Shared a campsite at P.C. with long-time old friend Aufish101. Jigging was on the slow side with a light East wind and the kokes were biting really light on Wednesday. Fished out from the campground, experimenting with different depths and jigs. Both of us caught macs that day along with the kokes.

Thursday the wind switched around to the prevailing West and the fishing became red hot! I'd lost my anchor the day before so tied onto Gary's boat. We were fishing in the view point area in about 120' of water, right off the bottom. Fish were cruising through that area and hitting much harder than the day before. He got his limit along with another big mac, all macs were released to terrorize and cull the koke population. I don't like to freeze fish, so quit with two large smoker fulls. Left on Friday morning without fishing to beat the traffic.

We found that tipping the jigs with corn seemed to get more strikes. Three quarter and 1 oz jigs worked best in the deep water. I'd been using a 1/2 oz jig, but the heavier jigs resulted in more solid hook-ups and fish in the basket. Aufish makes very high quality jigs which I've caught hundreds of fish with throughout the years.

Wound up a great trip with good company and warm sunny weather. Pics below of Gary's second mac which ran 31 inches and fat.

I bought some jigs from AuFish 6-7 years ago and yes they are quality jigs and catch fish. I highly recommend his jigs.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #105
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish-on-bend View Post
Thanks for the report Padre. The viewpoint at 120’ deep is ground zero for Macks.

Thanks for the heads up, Junior.

I've caught them out from the railroad trestle across from P.C; Burly Bluff, and straight out from the P.C; campground. That said, far more have been hooked around the east viewpoint. You're definitely in the top tier of expert ifish anglers in catching big macs and browns. Your knowledge, skill, and advice is always highly valued. However, I'm still concerned about you snagging your fingers again with those nasty treble hooks. Everyone should use life jackets for safety, but you Joe, still need that 'extra safety' help..aka the pinky guard..

Old 06-19-2019, 05:48 AM   #106
4labs
Chromer

Will have the labs with me Friday and concerned about the algae bloom, any sign of it yet ??
Thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 06:20 AM   #107
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4labs View Post
Will have the labs with me Friday and concerned about the algae bloom, any sign of it yet ??
Thanks
So far very little algae in the water. Your partners should be fine. As HZ mentioned above, be sure to bring some DEET. I was wearing sandals and got nailed a few times on the feet the first day. After spraying, no more problems for the rest of the trip.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:25 AM   #108
4labs
Chromer

Quote:
So far very little algae in the water. Your partners should be fine. As HZ mentioned above, be sure to bring some DEET. I was wearing sandals and got nailed a few times on the feet the first day. After spraying, no more problems for the rest of the trip.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2019, 07:28 PM   #109
Jonbduncan
Steelhead

Fished 6:00 till 1:30-
weather was very nice - dead calm till 11:00, then wind built to 10+- Very slow fishing-- trollers and giggers both seemed to only get the occasional fish. We only got 4- all on troll. we did spend some time gigging near the view point and Princess Creek. Lots of jumpers and many schools- just did not want to bite. Jon
Jonbduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #110
Little Buck
Chromer

Kokanee action from Odell lake Sunday and Monday. The Little Buck was on the troll with pink hoochie and tuna corn. Depth of riggers from 25-45 feet. Early morning bite was steady both days and quit when the sun came up. Typical for Odell. Sunday was very windy and I did a lot of drifting with the down riggers. This morning was much calmer and the morning bite was good. I was off the water by 0930 with 18 kokes. 35 for both days. As everyone knows, small fish at 7-11 inches. They sure taste good though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_153132.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	725549   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190624_152105.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	725551  
Little Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #111
toolman21
Cutthroat

i'm headed out on Thursday for a week of relaxing at Shelter Cove!
I've got 2 days of fishing planned and sure hope i picked days the wind doesn't blow me off the lake.
i plan on trolling mostly but want to jig also.
what jig weight do you all use?
toolman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #112
Fishindude88
Steelhead

3/4 to 1 oz. Colors often don’t matter but we usually use pink/white or orange/white.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #113
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Hit Odell 2 times this weekend. Found bitters 35-50 feet down. Well, the long line with no weight caught 3 dinks and 1 keeper today. Blown off by 10 am each day. Bright side I had 1 fish go 12”
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ED275A37-E37B-47E8-A5DA-5423377C52E1_1562045482429.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	726043  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #114
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Side note: anyone have insight in Macks here? The screen is LOADED with fish under the small guys. Everywhere I fished there were these big returns. Would love to hook into and release some.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	02F768AE-97C6-4634-8487-32E6BD1A22DB_1562081059281.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	726047   Click image for larger version

Name:	82579536-854D-4157-A2E1-F2FE9F50531C_1562081075806.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	726049  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #115
LGB
Tuna!

I fished today from 05:30 to 10:00 and caught 21 keepers and 3 dinks but while they were plump none were over 10". Almost all were caught at 40 feet deep on pink hoochie/corn and a gold dodger. The fish were scattered all over the west half of the lake in small schools from 30 to 60 deep. Top liners were catching dinks and one jigger gave up after about an hour. Water surface temp was 56 degrees and no signs of algae yet.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #116
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Side note: anyone have insight in Macks here? The screen is LOADED with fish under the small guys. Everywhere I fished there were these big returns. Would love to hook into and release some.
I'm hardly an expert for providing advice on catching big macks or browns. There are some regular contributors to this forum who are very knowledgeable about that fishery and really know their business. I have managed to 'stumble' into quite a number of them while targeting kokes with jigs throughout the years. Both at Odell and Crescent lakes. They're a real kick in the biscuits to catch on light tackle and before releasing them the battle is always enjoyed.

If you're trolling for kokes and spot some on your sonar, you might try putting on the brakes and dropping a jig in front of them. I would suggest at least a 1 oz jig. Forget the corn. Kokanee colors like half blue/half white, green/white, silver/blue, and silver/green would be pretty good starters. Jig above them, below them, in the middle of them, and drop all the way to the bottom. Move your jig around. For trolling, some of the other guys/gals on this forum could offer better advice.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #117
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Quote:
I'm hardly an expert for providing advice on catching big macks or browns. There are some regular contributors to this forum who are very knowledgeable about that fishery and really know their business. I have managed to 'stumble' into quite a number of them while targeting kokes with jigs throughout the years. Both at Odell and Crescent lakes. They're a real kick in the biscuits to catch on light tackle and before releasing them the battle is always enjoyed.

If you're trolling for kokes and spot some on your sonar, you might try putting on the brakes and dropping a jig in front of them. I would suggest at least a 1 oz jig. Forget the corn. Kokanee colors like half blue/half white, green/white, silver/blue, and silver/green would be pretty good starters. Jig above them, below them, in the middle of them, and drop all the way to the bottom. Move your jig around. For trolling, some of the other guys/gals on this forum could offer better advice.

Thanks! I will give the jig a try
Old 07-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #118
tundra5
Steelhead

Quote:
I was there last week and did fairly well on Mack's. I'd fish Koke's in the morning and then Mack's in the afternoon. I typically try to run one plug near the bottom and a second a few feet below wherever you are marking the koke schools. This week every Mack I caught came off of the bottom rod, I never even had a bite on the suspended rod. ( Some trips it's the opposite ) For plugs I try to use colors that I think look like kokanee, silver/ blue or black / silver, or sometimes just a plain old white. ( Most all fish have white bellies )

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190704_143040954.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	726467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190704_142946826.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	726469  
tundra5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #119
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra5 View Post
I was there last week and did fairly well on Mack's. I'd fish Koke's in the morning and then Mack's in the afternoon. I typically try to run one plug near the bottom and a second a few feet below wherever you are marking the koke schools. This week every Mack I caught came off of the bottom rod, I never even had a bite on the suspended rod. ( Some trips it's the opposite ) For plugs I try to use colors that I think look like kokanee, silver/ blue or black / silver, or sometimes just a plain old white. ( Most all fish have white bellies )

Good Luck
Nice work Jeremy. Your boy looks pretty happy with that toad.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:03 PM   #120
Fishsizzle
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra5 View Post
Quote:

Good Luck
Thanks much! I won’t be back up for awhile. Work is getting in the way!