Upgrading Spinning Reel Gears, Worth It? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Rod and tackle building

Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 AM   #1
Goonch
Steelhead

Default Upgrading Spinning Reel Gears, Worth It?

Hello Fellow Ifishers-

So after greasing and oiling my reels, I was wondering if upgrading them with new bearings (ceramic, hybrid, orange boca, etc) or changing some of the internal gears i.e. plastic worm shafts with metal ones, will make the reels perform better, maybe longer durability and longevity?

Thanks to all those who replied.

Goonch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
Finsalong
Tuna!

Default Re: Upgrading Spinning Reel Gears, Worth It?

I just did an Abu Garcia Rocket with some new ABEC 7 Bearings. I do like how it performs yet cannot really justify the cost.
It was 100 bucks to do all the upgrades and I get approximately 30 more yards out of it fully oiled up.

Spinning reels cast further anyways so what is your main objective? Is it a really expensive reel like a Van Staal? Maybe worth it then.

I see upgraded custom Abus go for over 600 bucks. Mainly the Surf Casting crowd. I do not think its really necessary for the Salmon Crowd.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
pinhead2
Tuna!

If you're talking a SPINNING reel, no way it's worth it. Unless it is a really high end spinner it is pretty much a 'throw away' reel. On low end I'd change the bearings if they get rough but I'd use plain old stainless and replace broken parts if available, and that's it. I wouldn't consider changing anything but the drag washers if the reel is working fine, unless I planned to hook some really big fish that I didn't want to lose because the internals of the reel came apart, and if that was the case I'd buy a high-end reel, anyway. I consider 'high-end' to start at about minimum $200. The problem with spinners is, unless you buy the ultra-expensive models, parts obsolete quickly, so don't put a lot of money into a reel that something will break on in a couple of years and leave you with a paperweight due to lack of parts. If you are talking casting reel, I'd change to the ceramic hybrid bearings and replace the drag washers, if they aren't already carbon. In use, I can't tell the difference between abec 5's and abec 7's so I use 5's. Ceramic bearings are noisy, if you haven't used them before. I have all my old Abu 5000 and 6000 series reels tricked out, just because I can (and they are easy to work on and I can get parts).
pinhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2019, 04:16 AM   #4
Wintu
Ifish Nate

Thumbs up Re: Upgrading Spinning Reel Gears, Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead2 View Post
If you're talking a SPINNING reel, no way it's worth it. Unless it is a really high end spinner it is pretty much a 'throw away' reel. On low end I'd change the bearings if they get rough but I'd use plain old stainless and replace broken parts if available, and that's it. I wouldn't consider changing anything but the drag washers if the reel is working fine, unless I planned to hook some really big fish that I didn't want to lose because the internals of the reel came apart, and if that was the case I'd buy a high-end reel, anyway. I consider 'high-end' to start at about minimum $200. The problem with spinners is, unless you buy the ultra-expensive models, parts obsolete quickly, so don't put a lot of money into a reel that something will break on in a couple of years and leave you with a paperweight due to lack of parts. If you are talking casting reel, I'd change to the ceramic hybrid bearings and replace the drag washers, if they aren't already carbon. In use, I can't tell the difference between abec 5's and abec 7's so I use 5's. Ceramic bearings are noisy, if you haven't used them before. I have all my old Abu 5000 and 6000 series reels tricked out, just because I can (and they are easy to work on and I can get parts).
Old 07-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
badkarma
Coho

Just started fixing reels after inheriting a bag full of spinning reels that I thought were beyond repair. Seems just a little TLC was all they needed. I would be interested to hear from you all your recommendations for oil/grease. I used WD40, 3 in 1, marine grease, and even tried 30 weight motor oil just for grins! Reading online it seems you don't need to go and buy reel oil so I'm interested to see what you use.
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
Don Fischer
King Salmon

You can get spinning reels from inexpensive to absurd! I've got three or four, I think. You'd have a hard time getting me to part with much over $30 for one. Just got a new one for I think it was around $25. Smooth and seem's to work well! If it last me two years I'll probably get bored with it anyway. Breaks down just trash it, got my money out of it. Have had most my level wind reels a lot of years. Have a 2500, 5000 and 6500 ABU's and didn't pay all that much for them. Recently got a Daiwa low profile. Didn't need it but wanted to try one, about $40. Have a couple old relics that still work well, two direct drive's. For what you can get new reels today, it seem's to me a waste to spend much repairing an old one, unless it has sentimental or collector value. Oh yea, just got a new level wind and spinning reels. Both Made by Kastking. Seem's to be a new company. The level wind is a round one about the size of my 6500 and is smoother than I could believe. Paid $45 for it if is last only two years I can replace it. the spinning reel, also a Kastking was about $25. One I mentioned above.

I think a lot of people are happier passing judgement's on equipment that on fishing. Just got a few new rds, two Berkley Cherrywood's. $18 each and seem's the only good thing about them is they catch fish. Got a new Shakespere, think it was a Shakespere, at the Bi Mart for about the same price. Next to it was a new Loomis for over $50. Take the $50 rod or $250 rod if you like, and slam them both in a car door and they will both break! I remember many years ago I had a rod I really liked and an eyelet came off. Got a new eyelet and put it back on with sewing thread and some kind of glue and put it back in service. Today I would just get a new rod! We live in a disposable system.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote