VHF Radio and antenna mount??? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Bluknight
Chromer

Default VHF Radio and antenna mount???

I would like to hear some input before I start drilling holes....... any preferences on where to mount the radio itself:

I'm leaning toward the starboard side under the drivers dash. My other option is the port side on top or under the glovebox.

Also the antenna mounting location: I have a soft top and no tower so just wondering if it makes a difference port or starboard on the gunnel? I was planning on putting it on the starboard side but the directions say to put it at least three feet from the radio and if I put the radio under the driver dash it's only 2 feet. Maybe need to mount the antenna on the opposite side from the radio but not sure why the 3' rule is there.

I am putting this on a 20' Searunner with extended transom and softop. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bluknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
hot wire
Ifish Nate

Default Re: VHF Radio and antenna mount???

Mount the antenna on the Port side along the top of the gunnel (when folded down) Either right next to the passenger or slightly forward. Lay it down pointing aft.

Mount the VHF on the the starboard side next to the helm area.

If you do it this way, the antenna will be far enough away from the VHF to NOT cause the VHF to stick on channels that are normally clear if you "scan" a few channels.

Done this for a long time.
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
FishnMike
Chromer

Opposite side of the boat from your GPS. I had to move my radio and antenna to the port side to keep it from blanking out my GPS each time I keyed the mic. Havn't had a problem with the antena interfearing with teh radio.
FishnMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
fishin"G"man
Ifish Nate

What Hotwire said....
fishin"G"man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
sherman51
Chromer

i have my radio mounted on port side dash, and have the antenna a couple of feet aft of the radio, and have had no problems at all. but then i had never heard about the 3' rule when i mounted mine. but with the radio being mounted a couple of feet right and a couple of feet forward of the antenna i guess i have atleast 3'.
sherman
sherman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
hot wire
Ifish Nate

Boy I think the dealers love to mount then on the same side. MUCH easier and less time consuming. But honest, take your time and do it right. A lifetime of enjoying your VHF's performance really is priceless.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot wire View Post
Mount the antenna on the Port side along the top of the gunnel (when folded down) Either right next to the passenger or slightly forward. Lay it down pointing aft.

Mount the VHF on the the starboard side next to the helm area.

If you do it this way, the antenna will be far enough away from the VHF to NOT cause the VHF to stick on channels that are normally clear if you "scan" a few channels.

Done this for a long time.
Hotwire, I've had exactly that problem (VHF sticking on channels on scan) on my dory. My Icom VHF is mounted vertically near the center of my console (see picture). The antenna is on the port side of the console. If you look closely, you can see the white coax emerging from the port side. The antenna lays down forward for storage. So you can see there is only about 22 inches between the radio and the antenna.

Can you explain how this "sticking" problem is related to proximity of radio and antenna? What are the possible fixes? Must I move the radio away from the antenna? If so, how far? Does it matter if it is horizontal or vertical distance?

My range seems fine. I get about 8 or 9 miles ship to ship, assuming the other guy has an 8 foot antenna on a gunnel mount. I get much better range if the other guy has an elevated antenna. I can talk to the coast guard clear as a bell 20 miles out.

Thanks for any information you can provide, I am not familiar with this problem.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Tinman

Thanks hot wire, that's very helpful.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
hot wire
Ifish Nate

There are quite a few things that can affect a VHF and it's ability to squelch various "noise" from a source.

I try and keep things simple.

Where and how you deal with the VHF transmission cable (antenna coaxial cable) is a huge part of generating an opportunity of why a radio can get stuck on a channel when scanning. But basically, you are getting noise into the receiver that doesn't naturally get there. Trying to explain why is tough. There could be freq's being generated inside the area that are being introduced itself into the radio receiver via the antenna, or the radio itself. Most of the time you can figure it out by turning each other device off until the noise goes away. Then, once you find the source, the game starts.

But try manipulating the coil of VHF coax in larger loops. Try moving the coil of VHF coax to a different location. Try routing the coax a different way...or, try a choke filter. Most of the time if I increase the distance of the VHF and receiver, the problem goes away. This can be maddening.

The 3' of distance from the VHF to the Receiver is supposed to be about the sequel you can get when the two are too close together. I believe the term is regenerative feedback.

Hope this simplifies some of the questions.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 AM   #10
ChrisCurtis
Sturgeon

glad to hear you're getting one installed finally Jim. my only suggestion is to please make the radio/mic accessible to the rest of the crew! so many boats i'm on have the VHF hidden down tight below the skipper's right leg, no one can see or get to it (maybe by design). that can be frustrating when the skipper is busy driving but, can't easily confirm what channel it's on, etc.
cc

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent.
ChrisCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote