IFish Fishing Forum banner

Surprised at what is on my new bunks

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  fop 
#1 ·
Last week I use my boat for the first time this year, last year I replaced the old pressure-treated board with new pressure-treated and the black carpet kit from Cabela’s. This is what I saw after unloading the boat.

WTH is going on, Is this electrolysis? I did not think to run my hand across the bottom of the boat while it was off. I guess I’ll do that next time to see if there’s any pits although there was zero water when I pulled the plug.

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you know what your "pressure" treated bunks were treated with? Often copper is used that that could create a reaction with an aluminum boat. I would forgo using pressure treated wood next to a aluminum boat. Use Fir or Cedar or better yet galvanized steel or Aluminum with high density plastic tops. Here is one site that sells custom bunks and I'm sure there are others.
https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com

#5 ·
<snip> or better yet galvanized steel or Aluminum with high density plastic tops. Here is one site that sells custom bunks and I'm sure there are others.
https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com

:yeahthat: I have high density polypropylene bunks on the Rogue trailer. No issues whatsoever. I've had carpet under a different salty boat and never did like it. So glad when I bought a used Tricker trailer that had plastic bunks. I sleep better now, especially since it's a dual axle instead of a single. :wink:

I'd highly recommend going to hard plastic. Good luck, CopperMan.

#7 ·
Those chemicals in pressure treated could be leaching out and reacting with the aluminum. Regular wood lasts for for quite awhile and was easy to replace on my 17 footer. See if you can load the boat part way and get a look at the bottom where the bunks ride. Make sure it dries because you might not be able to see any effect when it's wet.

#9 ·
Thanks for the replies, Life happened again.

No salt just lakes mainly, although the Chehalis is tidal influenced down at Friends Landing and I did not fish it this winter for steelhead.
It was not this way before my last trip then garaged.
I'm going to get some Doug Fir and new carpet when I get some time.

Thanks again!!!:wink::wink::wink:

#11 ·
carpet is a bad scene we have learned in the long run, plastic bunk wraps by ez loader or aftermarket is the way to go.

Caliber Bunk Wrap - YouTube
Looks pretty good. A concern may be that being a plastic, water will be trapped and not wick and dry, like carpet will. The one thing I don't want is ultra slippery material on my bunks either. Steep boat ramps and uhmw are a no-go for me. He only mentioned easier loading/unloading. Not too awful pricey, considering what the cost for the bunk carpet is from dealers. I know I got smart, I used indoor/outdoor carpet on my bunks....I found out I wasn't smart after all. It didn't last that long.:doh:

#13 · (Edited)
I put 2x6 treated on my stainless steel trailer and
installed 2x6x1/2" thick UHMW runners. I'm guessing
they are 10' long on each side. Been on there
at least 17 years now. And I have run the boat up on the
trailer under power many hundred times.

Still looks great and will outlive me I am sure.

I used carpet years ago but that is junk compared.

fop

#15 ·
Plastics West here in Aberdeen. 360-538-0115. I just called the guy and had him rip to 5 1/2" x the length and picked up. Then I installed myself. It was 1/2" thick so I could countersink the stainless carriage bolts. Worked perfect for me.

fop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.