Walleye tactics lake Roosevelt in summer? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 03-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
crabbydan
Chromer

Default Walleye tactics lake Roosevelt in summer?

Hey guys, first time posting in this section. So me and my family will be camping at spring canyon for a week in the middle of July with the boat. I'm all set for kokanee and rainbows, but I have never walleye fished in my life. I was thinking fish tacos in camp would be awesome!

Anyone got any advice and tips for lake Roosevelt? I would like to stay between the dam and Keller, I might venture out further who knows. Thanks.

crabbydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
Fish mojo
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Walleye tactics lake Roosevelt in summer?

Many years ago, I camped at Spring Canyon CG and fished Lake Roosevelt. Awesome area!! The water drop offs are pretty steep at that end of the lake, so not the best walleye habitat. Further up lake, there are some flats that looked like better holding water. Get the Fish-n-map of the lake to scout out the spots.
https://www.fishnmap.com/item.php?item=865

Better walleye fishing is up around the Spokane River.

If you want to walleye fish, you will be real close to Banks Lake. Take your boat for the day down there for walleye and fish Lake Roosevelt for the trout/kokes.
"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
Fish mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
crabbydan
Chromer

OK thank you! I was thinking about hitting Banks, I just might. Rufus woods too....just depends on if Roosevelt produces for me or not. Man I can't wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
crabbydan
Chromer

I also want to.catch at least one burbot....I hear poor man's lobster is really good.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #5
Grizz86
Steelhead

Banks Lake walleye numbers have been down for a few years now. I volunteered with WDFW last fall for the FWIN - Fall Walleye Index Number testing on Banks. The numbers weren't overly encouraging. A better option would probably be Rufus Woods. Rufus is the next reservoir downriver in the system below Grand Coulee. You can find good numbers of Walleye + some bonus Triploid trout and it's about the same drive from where you'll be camping. Also, you'll want to plan on taking in the laser light show at Grand Coulee one evening while you're there. Enjoy your trip!!!!
Grizz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
crabbydan
Chromer

Thanks guys, really looking forward to it!
Old 03-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbydan View Post
Thanks guys, really looking forward to it!
I have fished walleyes most of my life. Usually in Canada where things are simple. Fished Banks and Potholes with a guide each time. One time we were back in narrow channels trolling super slow with crawlers. Next time in middle of the lake with Flicker Shad. The speed had to be perfect and the guide had about 50 Flicker Shad in one organized box. Size,running depth, length of line on the boat was changed constantly to target fish. Limited out both times but I would never have thought about these techniques. Take a guide fo half day. Should be worth it.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
Bowen1911
Cutthroat

My dad was at Roosevelt for a weekend about a month ago. Fished about 80 feet of water, and dropped the largest Jigging-Rap down to the bottom. Fire-tiger color I believe. Limited out both days, also caught a few burbot, and one pike.
Bowen1911 is offline   Reply With Quote