Diamond Lake reports 2020. - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 03-19-2020, 07:59 AM   #1
Little Buck
Tuna!

Default Diamond Lake reports 2020.

Any intel on Diamond yet ?? I'm wanting to drive up river and get the Little Buck in the water and do my preseason test run. Still frozen ?

Little Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Diamond Lake reports 2020.

I heard guys were ice fishing it last weekend, with a good cap of ice and snow. Will be a while before you can boat it. Would guess several weeks at least.
chukardave1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:23 AM   #3
Little Buck
Tuna!

Thanks for the heads up ChukarDave. Kind of weird Diamond is still frozen with the mild dry winter we have had. At least it seems that way to me. I have fished it previously in march. it must of been much colder up there than I thought. Might be 2-3 weeks more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
TheCamel
Tuna!

This was posted 5 days ago on YouTube

https://youtu.be/rWKAyg2KMCA

In my best Steven Wright imitation: How come Cowboys and Cowgirls don't become Cowmen and Cowwomen?
TheCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:03 AM   #5
Little Buck
Tuna!

Thanks Camel. That was pretty cool. Literally . It looks like Diamond froze hard this year. ! Well it looks like Kate B might shut down recreational fishing due to Covid 19 anyway. Thanks for the update.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:07 AM   #6
puckfisher
Tuna!

Talked with resort Sunday am. Frozen solid and guys were ice fishing yesterday. No catch numbers. One last chance?
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #7
Duckfancross
Coho

My Question is when the lake thaws and the resort may still be closed down, can we use the ramps as Diamond lake is a lease to operate in the national Forest?
Duckfancross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfancross View Post
My Question is when the lake thaws and the resort may still be closed down, can we use the ramps as Diamond lake is a lease to operate in the national Forest?
Kinda a question for all since it was stated Crane Prairie intends to be open. You have all the resorts, Odell, Crescent, Cultus, Elk, Lava, Suttle, etc are in same predicament
Fishsizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
TheCamel
Tuna!

Quote:

To align with Governor Brown’s executive order directing people to stay home to save lives, the Umpqua National Forest has temporarily closed all developed recreation sites, to include campgrounds, day-use sites, boat ramps, trailheads, fire lookouts, and OHV areas. The closure order is in effect through September 30, 2020 unless rescinded earlier.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/umpqu...d=fseprd719022

In my best Steven Wright imitation: How come Cowboys and Cowgirls don't become Cowmen and Cowwomen?
Old 04-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #10
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCamel View Post
Quote:

To align with Governor Brown’️s executive order directing people to stay home to save lives, the Umpqua National Forest has temporarily closed all developed recreation sites, to include campgrounds, day-use sites, boat ramps, trailheads, fire lookouts, and OHV areas. The closure order is in effect through September 30, 2020 unless rescinded earlier.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/umpqu...d=fseprd719022
I guess his question, and mine still hangs out there. Does this include resorts that have leased access with boat ramps and facilities?
Old 04-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #11
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
I guess his question, and mine still hangs out there. Does this include resorts that have leased access with boat ramps and facilities?
Every resort here in central oregon is complying with the Forest Service directive.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Crane Prairie resort just posted they will be closed through May 15th.........
1nutinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #13
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Oh, wait. Here's an idea. Instead of listening to maybe correct info on ifish (including me) and driving 100mi to find the ramp is closed, call them.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #14
Fishsizzle
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team anarchy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Every resort here in central oregon is complying with the Forest Service directive.
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2020, 08:46 AM   #15
WapitiBob
Ifish Nate

There should be spots on most of our cascade lakes where you can get a trailered boat into the water without a FS boat ramp.
WapitiBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:02 PM   #16
4labs
Chromer

Lemolo !!
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:37 AM   #17
Little Buck
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
There should be spots on most of our cascade lakes where you can get a trailered boat into the water without a FS boat ramp.
This is when I wish I still had my 12 foot Gregor with a 9.9 Yamaha on the back ! Easy put in ! No struggle. Got into the salt and bigger boat fever. I miss that little boat sometimes.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #18
Little Buck
Tuna!

I bumped into a guy at the Idylwld store towing a boat to Diamond Lake last weekend. He said the boat ramps are open. Anybody got a report on that and how is the fishing ? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:35 PM   #19
Little Buck
Tuna!

Anyway, just got done calling the Forest service. As of today, ramps are open. South ramp still snowed in. Road around lake still not open due to snow according to the Forest Service guy.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #20
4labs
Chromer

Thanks for the intel.
They got alittle snow yesterday so a week of sunny weather starting next Wed will really help
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 05:19 AM   #21
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

Medford newspaper says guys taking portables into south end open water are doing "okay".
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:50 AM   #22
Little Buck
Tuna!

Report 5/15, 5/16. Arrived at Diamond around 10 am Friday. North ramp was full of trailers. Sunny and warm. Launched the LB and headed towards the north end trolling needle fish and a Thomas Buoyant. Kicker wouldn't start. Not good. Then the high temp alarm went off on the main. Oh oh ! Starting to think I should of stayed in bed. Finally figured out I left the flush hose connection uncapped. Apparently that affected the water circulation.
Lesson learned. I was trolling faster than I liked with the main but I made do. Scratch fishing with hits every 5-10 minutes. Released drinks of around 8-9 inches. (Planters ?) Kept a really nice grade 13-17 inches for my limit by 1:30. This morning it clouded over and the temp dropped. Started out early and the bite was slow. I was done by 9 am with my limit. Nice 14-17 inch. Fish. Largest overall size at Diamond I've seen in years. I kept a 17 inch female who was full of eggs. Flesh was mushy. Not good. Another lesson learned the hard way. Lots of pleasant people and everyone was just great ! This lake is full of fish !
Old 05-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #23
H_histrionicus
Chromer

Is there any dispersed camping available at Diamond? Looking to get away next month for some isolation and it seems the campgrounds are still closed (per unique NF website). Wondered what the options might be. Doesn’t necessarily need to be right at the lake but close would be nice. Don’t need any facilities other than a boat ramp once per day unless camping lakeside and beaching the boat is an option.
Any regulars have any intel?
Old 05-16-2020, 08:07 PM   #24
TheCamel
Tuna!

Resort used to let people camp in the parking area across the road from the gas station, if the campgrounds were not open. Check with them to see if that is still OK. Bonus is that they have their security people drive through during the night.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #25
Little Buck
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_histrionicus View Post
Is there any dispersed camping available at Diamond? Looking to get away next month for some isolation and it seems the campgrounds are still closed (per unique NF website). Wondered what the options might be. Doesn’t necessarily need to be right at the lake but close would be nice. Don’t need any facilities other than a boat ramp once per day unless camping lakeside and beaching the boat is an option.
Any regulars have any intel?
I talked to a Forest service guy at the boat ramp and he said they were still cleaning up the campgrounds and they were not open a few days ago. Should be opening very soon. I slept in the truck in the parking lot. Did not check for other areas. The cabins were open at lake shore and some young bucks had a barbeque going. The store and tackle shop were open. Kitchen was taking curbside orders. The rental boats were at the dock. I did not go into the lodge but I believe post office was open. Let's hope this all gets back to normal soon.

Last edited by Little Buck; 05-17-2020 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #26
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Good job Murray, I just about jumped in the truck when you sent the trout picture....arg!
wak'm&stak'm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #27
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wak'm&stak'm View Post
Good job Murray, I just about jumped in the truck when you sent the trout picture....arg!
Wak...you're back...out of the penalty box....and well done Murray....gotta put my boat through some testing...sounds like there are plenty of willing fish up at Diamond.
Umpquanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #28
Little Buck
Tuna!

I was wishing you were there Dan. Could of used some entertainment! Try not to screw up your probation on ifish!!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:31 PM   #29
Duckfancross
Coho

I fished there this last Friday and Saturday, Friday was not bad trolling Mag Lips 2.5 we only kept one 16" trout threw several 12-13" trout back we did catch a 21" tiger trout. Saturday the bite was tougher and the wind blew hard the launch was a joke with the south winds. A lot of people had trouble getting into the launch including me missing some vinyl on the side and it gets real shallow there the prop took a small hit but not to bad. I wish they would put some money into that north launch when the wind blows from the south it really sucks. We did loose a real nice brown Saturday morning at the boat but can't keep them any ways so no big deal but a picture would have been cool. The bugs were out and fish were full of them all in all I would say fishing sucked compared to other trips I have taken up there.

Last edited by Duckfancross; 05-18-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Duckfancross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:21 AM   #30
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

Fished Saturday. Launched south end-maybe 10 trailers in the lot. Only one dock in but very doable. Started slow. I'm a troller. Wind calm but chilly - 36 at 9am launch. Fish jumping on the way out. Got out to 20ft and the bottom weeds cleared out. Began with surface & mid depth pattern but no love so put out two 2oz bottom walkers with Paulina Peak dodgers and flies - game on. Most and biggest were on the bottom bouncers but some good ones mid level too. Kept 15 releases another 6-8 dinks. Catching appeared to be fairly slow from our observation. Fish cleaning station is open. Midges were absolutely horrid on west side shoreline but nothing out on the water with slight breeze.
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:35 AM   #31
Rick on Rogue
Chromer

Thanks for the update.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 PM   #32
H_histrionicus
Chromer

Circling back after my camping request. Sites are available to reserve starting 6/5. That’s when we’re arriving. Made a reservation and fingers are crossed.
It will be the first time there and curious if any regulars might comment on the road in from Roseburg (138?). Is it a decent route? Coming from the north google maps is showing it being about 10 minutes faster to take 58 over then down 97 and back track. I’ve been over 58 a bunch and thought it might be nice to see some different country and come in via Roseburg as long as that highway isn’t terrible. Any thoughts/intel appreciated.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:48 PM   #33
Jonbduncan
Steelhead

Quote:
Circling back after my camping request. Sites are available to reserve starting 6/5. That’s when we’re arriving. Made a reservation and fingers are crossed.
It will be the first time there and curious if any regulars might comment on the road in from Roseburg (138?). Is it a decent route? Coming from the north google maps is showing it being about 10 minutes faster to take 58 over then down 97 and back track. I’ve been over 58 a bunch and thought it might be nice to see some different country and come in via Roseburg as long as that highway isn’t terrible. Any thoughts/intel appreciated.

It's pretty winding, but safe and beautiful. Good road sufrace. Lil Buck lives up there in Glide, I think, maybe check with him... jonb
Jonbduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #34
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbduncan View Post
It's pretty winding, but safe and beautiful. Good road sufrace. Lil Buck lives up there in Glide, I think, maybe check with him... jonb
That is accurate for being winding and scenic. You might be able to shave off some miles by taking the exiting just south of Sutherlin taking old 99 down to Wilbur and then North Bank road from Wilbur up to just out of Glide back on 138 for some more rolling hill ground. I need to get up there and give it a go too.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #35
TheCamel
Tuna!

Quote:
It will be the first time there and curious if any regulars might comment on the road in from Roseburg (138?). Is it a decent route?
I have taken both routes a number of times. Hwy 58 to 97 to 138 is your best/fastest road, but the scenery out of Roseburg is much better.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #36
H_histrionicus
Chromer

Thanks everyone. That's what I needed.

I pass through and around Roseburg a couple times per month. Love the area, just never headed up the hill from there.
Planning to take 138 up and finally change that...
Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #37
Trawlman
Coho

Take 138. The scenery is one of the most beautiful drives in Oregon. If you haven't been on it you will not be disappointed.
Trawlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #38
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Nice limits for four of us...70 degrees, and bugs were not to bad.
Threw back lots of smalls, but overall one of the nicest pile of fish in awhile.

Gold dodgers and my homemade wedding ring like things, with a tasty worm.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #39
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Quote:
Nice limits for four of us...70 degrees, and bugs were not to bad.
Threw back lots of smalls, but overall one of the nicest pile of fish in awhile.

Gold dodgers and my homemade wedding ring like things, with a tasty worm.
Sounds like a great day and nice report Dan...you raising those tasty worms now?
Old 05-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #40
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Thumbs up Re: Diamond Lake reports 2020.

Quote:
Thanks everyone. That's what I needed.

I pass through and around Roseburg a couple times per month. Love the area, just never headed up the hill from there.
Planning to take 138 up and finally change that...
Stop at the BLM Susan Cr day use area if you have time and stretch your legs and use the facilities. Walk Emerald trail along the North Umpqua. Cool bridge over the NU
SouthCoastStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #41
Maineiac
Steelhead

Started fishing with my two sons and grandpa at about 8:30. People were already coming off the water with limits. We caught the tail end of the morning bite about 300 yards off shore at the base of Mt. Bailey. Real quick we pulled in 10 high grade fish on various forms of power bait. By 10 the bite had slowed significantly and the grade of fish decreased. We ended our day at 1:15 with 16 fish kept, biggest was just short of 18” and the shortest was 12”. Great day with a 3yo, a 5yo and their grandpa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2AA57DF-44CF-4A00-A3A8-A1D4B2558D61_1590629149443.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	746277   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D388E8B-5C65-4F47-91A4-3E5AFA5449E3_1590629163809.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	746279  
Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:16 AM   #42
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

Hey I saw you guys, we were in the big black aluminum dory thing that trolled around you.
I commented when seeing the young fisherman...how much I miss those days.

Nice day and nice fish..... to bad Umpquanuts has to work ....sorry Paul.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #43
Umpquanuts
Tuna!

Quote:
Hey I saw you guys, we were in the big black aluminum dory thing that trolled around you.

Ouch Dan..someone has to raise the beef..glad to hear some families are having some good times outdoors...I miss those days with my kids so once in a while get some families in the boat and love to hear all the giggling and celebration when a fish comes in the boat!!!! Well done folks.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:31 AM   #44
Little Buck
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiac View Post
Started fishing with my two sons and grandpa at about 8:30. People were already coming off the water with limits. We caught the tail end of the morning bite about 300 yards off shore at the base of Mt. Bailey. Real quick we pulled in 10 high grade fish on various forms of power bait. By 10 the bite had slowed significantly and the grade of fish decreased. We ended our day at 1:15 with 16 fish kept, biggest was just short of 18” and the shortest was 12”. Great day with a 3yo, a 5yo and their grandpa.
Great report Maineiac ! Love to see those kids get some fish ! Memories forever. Thanks. Hey Dan. Way to go !
Old 05-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #45
Maineiac
Steelhead

Nice knowing there are some other ifish folks outside the Willamette Valley, sometimes I take that for granted. I was wondering if anyone up there was on here. Boys had an awesome time, even with the sunburn. Fish are in the brine and going to be smoked later today!
Quote:

Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote