OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
Big Game Fishing
 
Big Game Fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 5,125
Default OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

I got this in my email today. I already cancelled or declined trips as I don't see how it's possible to maintain social distancing on the boat and keep everything disinfected.

Opinion from OSMB:

The Oregon State Marine Board has reviewed Governor Brown’s Executive Order No. 20-12 regarding its impact to Outfitter Guides and Charter operators in Oregon.

In summary, we believe that EO20-12 effectively limits this type of operation in many circumstances. Here is a summary of our review, plus pertinent parts of the executive order. Note that this is not a legal interpretation and is based only on our review of EO20-12. Business owners will need to make their own decision on how to comply with Governor Brown’s order.



Summary:

Paragraph 1A immediately prohibits non-essential social gatherings outside of a home if distances of six feet between individual cannot be maintained – difficult or impossible to implement in the operation of most of Oregon’s six-pack guide boat operations and probably most charters.



Paragraph 10 states when telework and work-from-home options are not available, businesses must designate an employee or officer to establish, implement, and enforce social distancing policies. These policies must address how the business will maintain social distancing protocols for business-critical visitors. Be prepared to present your policy and policy enforcer to law enforcement upon request.

Paragraph 18 states that all public and private campgrounds are to be closed immediately, further restricting the ability for the public in general to launch boats on the water. Be aware that you are encouraging more people to use stressed facilities such as public restrooms, if they are even available.



Paragraph 22 specifically directs individuals to minimize travel except for essential travel. While “workplace” is considered within “essential travel,” and guides and charter operators work from their boats, travel by your clients would not be considered essential.



Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of Stay Safe, Stay Home, please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.



Cyndi Bolduc

Big Game Fishing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Troutdale
Posts: 2,061
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
I got this in my email today. I already cancelled or declined trips as I don't see how it's possible to maintain social distancing on the boat and keep everything disinfected.

Opinion from OSMB:

The Oregon State Marine Board has reviewed Governor Brown’s Executive Order No. 20-12 regarding its impact to Outfitter Guides and Charter operators in Oregon.

In summary, we believe that EO20-12 effectively limits this type of operation in many circumstances. Here is a summary of our review, plus pertinent parts of the executive order. Note that this is not a legal interpretation and is based only on our review of EO20-12. Business owners will need to make their own decision on how to comply with Governor Brown’s order.



Summary:

Paragraph 1A immediately prohibits non-essential social gatherings outside of a home if distances of six feet between individual cannot be maintained – difficult or impossible to implement in the operation of most of Oregon’s six-pack guide boat operations and probably most charters.



Paragraph 10 states when telework and work-from-home options are not available, businesses must designate an employee or officer to establish, implement, and enforce social distancing policies. These policies must address how the business will maintain social distancing protocols for business-critical visitors. Be prepared to present your policy and policy enforcer to law enforcement upon request.

Paragraph 18 states that all public and private campgrounds are to be closed immediately, further restricting the ability for the public in general to launch boats on the water. Be aware that you are encouraging more people to use stressed facilities such as public restrooms, if they are even available.



Paragraph 22 specifically directs individuals to minimize travel except for essential travel. While “workplace” is considered within “essential travel,” and guides and charter operators work from their boats, travel by your clients would not be considered essential.



Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of Stay Safe, Stay Home, please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.



Cyndi Bolduc
Did you request this. I have received notices in the past, but did not receive anything from the OSMB regarding this.
__________________
Just one more cast...
Salem IAFF Local 314, ret.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
RiverRogue is offline  
Old 03-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
Big Game Fishing
 
Big Game Fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

No, it just showed up in my inbox.
Big Game Fishing is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
redneckty1
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Woodland WA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

It went out to all registered guides.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redneckty1 is offline  
Old 03-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #5
ampersat
King Salmon
 
ampersat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: under the hat
Posts: 14,121
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
Note that this is not a legal interpretation and is based only on our review of EO20-12. Business owners will need to make their own decision on how to comply with Governor Brown’s order.
How did you determine that OSMB is stating that fishing guide operations are not legal under the restrictions of EO20-12?
__________________
"This community is what it is, because our citizens are who they are." - Plato

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline  
Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #6
Big Game Fishing
 
Big Game Fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post
How did you determine that OSMB is stating that fishing guide operations are not legal under the restrictions of EO20-12?
You know what, I'm wrong. I misinterpreted it I guess.

I'm still not running trips till these restrictions are lifted.
Big Game Fishing is offline  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #7
ampersat
King Salmon
 
ampersat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: under the hat
Posts: 14,121
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Per their guidance, it's not outright illegal to engage in guided fishing trips.
It would be difficult to meet the requirements of EO20-12 while on a trip and it's probably not profitable to do so. And at the end of any day there's the possibility that as a guide you'd end up catching the virus and taking it home to your family.
I feel for all of the folks who make their livelihood based on the fishing season this year. It's going to be a tough go of it. Hopefully we all see better days ahead.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
__________________
"This community is what it is, because our citizens are who they are." - Plato

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline  
Old 03-26-2020, 08:51 PM   #8
Big Game Fishing
 
Big Game Fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post
Per their guidance, it's not outright illegal to engage in guided fishing trips.
It would be difficult to meet the requirements of EO20-12 while on a trip and it's probably not profitable to do so. And at the end of any day there's the possibility that as a guide you'd end up catching the virus and taking it home to your family.
I feel for all of the folks who make their livelihood based on the fishing season this year. It's going to be a tough go of it. Hopefully we all see better days ahead.

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
That's why the title of my thread had the word "likely".

I cancelled trips two weeks ago because I didn't think travelling to the Portland area myself, and encouraging clients to travel from places like Seattle, Tri Cities, Boise, and Yreka was wise given the circumstances and possible consequences.

I love to fish. I have the greatest gig in the world.

I get to be a part of someone's first fish, their biggest fish, and in some cases, even their last fish. I'm honored and grateful to be a part of every trip.

I can sit on the sidelines if it helps this whole mess.

Someday soon my boat will be on flat water as the sun starts to peek over the eastern horizon. A rod will bend, reel will sing, adrenaline will flow, fish will hit the deck, smiles, high fives, and even shouts of excitement will be shared.

At that point I won't lament the days I didn't get to fish, they will have been totally worth it.
Big Game Fishing is offline  
Old 03-26-2020, 09:10 PM   #9
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon
 
Gun Rod Bow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Sherwood, OR
Posts: 14,477
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Well said Jim.
__________________
"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." Greek Proverb
Bundìn er bàtlaus mađur
Gun Rod Bow is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 04:43 AM   #10
Bladdershy
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Oregon city
Posts: 1,137
Default

Hasn't anyone seen the models and how fast this thing's growing??. Any guide would be negligent at the least to book a boat full of strangers right now.. let's use some common sense people
Bladdershy is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #11
piscean
Tuna!
 
piscean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth aka planet dirt....love this place!
Posts: 1,440
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

I dont think its time to interpret law/measure/request..word by word and should be looked as what's the crux of it. One has to be very deranged in order to fill up the boat (the clients who want fish that bad must be just totally like Ron White says 'you can't fix stupid').
I don't think it's a battle of I read the law or measure correct. If you get the gist and understand the point that it's to curb this widespread epidemic, it should be good enough to satisfy your query. Even though its not enforced....at times like this the measure should be 'enforced' not in terms of it's a must but more like 'I care for you' as a friend or just because I know you through the forum.
I'm sure someone will come up with cheeky comeback but than again...Ron White encourages me to just overlook it...cuz...cmon everybody..say with me.. YOU CAN'T FIX S+#%[email protected]


Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
piscean is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 AM   #12
fishrepellor
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 967
Default

Much respect for you Big Game!!
No way guides should be operating right now.
Or going fishing with buddies even. Unless you take two different rigs.
fishrepellor is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:48 AM   #13
NEUTRON
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oregon City, Or, Usa
Posts: 3,823
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

I haven't sprung for many guided trips in my life but here is a person I'd like to book some day in the future:


"I love to fish. I have the greatest gig in the world.

I get to be a part of someone's first fish, their biggest fish, and in some cases, even their last fish. I'm honored and grateful to be a part of every trip.

I can sit on the sidelines if it helps this whole mess.

Someday soon my boat will be on flat water as the sun starts to peek over the eastern horizon. A rod will bend, reel will sing, adrenaline will flow, fish will hit the deck, smiles, high fives, and even shouts of excitement will be shared.

At that point I won't lament the days I didn't get to fish, they will have been totally worth it."
__________________
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
NEUTRON is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #14
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,880
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

The only way I could see social distancing for guide trips would be a string of small skiffs hooked like a train with an aluminum pole at least 6 foot long between each skiff all being pulled around by the guide in his boat. Each skiff would have a two way speaker system to interact with the guide, its own pre-rigged bait on ice, a net and at least two poles ready for bait.
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #15
piscean
Tuna!
 
piscean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Earth aka planet dirt....love this place!
Posts: 1,440
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
The only way I could see social distancing for guide trips would be a string of small skiffs hooked like a train with an aluminum pole at least 6 foot long between each skiff all being pulled around by the guide in his boat. Each skiff would have a two way speaker system to interact with the guide, its own pre-rigged bait on ice, a net and at least two poles ready for bait.
What will they call it?? COVID SPECIAL....OR CORONA EXPRESS

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
piscean is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #16
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,880
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscean View Post
What will they call it?? COVID SPECIAL....OR CORONA EXPRESS

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How about cho-cho trolling.
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #17
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Troutdale
Posts: 2,061
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckty1 View Post
It went out to all registered guides.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apparently, not ALL guides.

RR
__________________
Just one more cast...
Salem IAFF Local 314, ret.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
RiverRogue is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 03:37 PM   #18
RiverJohn
King Salmon
 
RiverJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: W.L.
Posts: 8,684
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRogue View Post
Apparently, not ALL guides.

RR


I would not mind knowing which guides are fishing with a boatfull of clients?
__________________
God does not deduct from man's allotted span, the hours spent fishing!!
RiverJohn is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:08 PM   #19
Big Game Fishing
 
Big Game Fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRogue View Post
Apparently, not ALL guides.

RR
You should contact Cyndi and make sure she has the right email address. They had an old email for me so I didn't get the renewal email and had to call them to sort it out.

I'm pretty impressed with Cyndi Bolduc, she's always done me right whether I walked into the office, over the phone, or via email. She's the easiest governmental agency I think I've ever worked with.
Big Game Fishing is offline  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #20
Josh Fisherman
Tuna!
 
Josh Fisherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Pacific City
Posts: 1,340
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

I haven’t renewed yet for this year and I got the email.

Cyndi is awesome and deserves respect/appreciation. I asked her once if I could send some flowers to her office “for her desk” she went far and above to get me on the water one year. She said no but thank you...

Thank you Cyndi for your continued hard work!
__________________
Learned #71 "Fish Whistle"

Traditional Dory Experience Provider

Last edited by Josh Fisherman; 03-27-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Josh Fisherman is online now  
Old 03-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #21
Afb
Chromer
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Scotts Mills
Posts: 825
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Yet we can still go golfing in Portland if we want to.
Afb is online now  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #22
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afb View Post
Yet we can still go golfing in Portland if we want to.

Just got home from fishing the Channel 3/28/20. Still seeing guide boats with 4 - 5 people on board. Only thing this will do is close fishing for everybody. Asked one guide about it and he said his four passengers were friends. Maybe so but it sure looks bad for the social distancing guidelines we’ve been asked to follow.
deeplines is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #23
duke1122
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,119
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Easy fix. Turn in the boat numbers to OSP at 800 452 7888. They are the responsible party for illegal guide activity.
duke1122 is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #24
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke1122 View Post
Easy fix. Turn in the boat numbers to OSP at 800 452 7888. They are the responsible party for illegal guide activity.
I look for the same thing that happened at the beaches, Closed
deeplines is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #25
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Troutdale
Posts: 2,061
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
You should contact Cyndi and make sure she has the right email address. They had an old email for me so I didn't get the renewal email and had to call them to sort it out.

I'm pretty impressed with Cyndi Bolduc, she's always done me right whether I walked into the office, over the phone, or via email. She's the easiest governmental agency I think I've ever worked with.
I will. Thanks. Checked all, even spam, with nothing. I get the Newsletter. So it be a head scratcher.

And yes Cyndi is wonderful. Busy gal. Leave a message and she WILL call back soon.
__________________
Just one more cast...
Salem IAFF Local 314, ret.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
RiverRogue is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 12:51 AM   #26
redneckty1
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Woodland WA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRogue View Post
Apparently, not ALL guides.

RR

Oh, it went out to ALL guides.

The OSMB is very good, Cyndi in particular. They keep track of guides better then any state I have seen yet. Makes me feel a little bit better about the 2600 check I get to write.


That said I typical run single party trips. I still canceled all of my trips after the 17th I think. Before it was mandatory. It's not worth the risk, I'll figure the financial stuff out later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redneckty1 is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:56 AM   #27
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckty1 View Post
Oh, it went out to ALL guides.

The OSMB is very good, Cyndi in particular. They keep track of guides better then any state I have seen yet. Makes me feel a little bit better about the 2600 check I get to write.


That said I typical run single party trips. I still canceled all of my trips after the 17th I think. Before it was mandatory. It's not worth the risk, I'll figure the financial stuff out later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A guides license renewal is $2,600? That should thin the heard a little.
deeplines is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #28
redneckty1
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Woodland WA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
A guides license renewal is $2,600? That should thin the heard a little.

Has been that way for the last three years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redneckty1 is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #29
Pacific Fisher
Chromer
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 815
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

In San Francisco Bay authorities have been checking boats to verify that all persons in the boat are from the same family (household) in order to be considered in compliance with sheltering rules.
__________________
Every day I don't row the steelhead grow stronger

Craig Bell
Pacific Fisher is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #30
Bladdershy
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Oregon city
Posts: 1,137
Default

Still big open sleds on the river in OC with every chair filled up. 5 dudes total.. must be all brothers huh?
Bladdershy is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #31
PDXanglr
Steelhead
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 156
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladdershy View Post
Still big open sleds on the river in OC with every chair filled up. 5 dudes total.. must be all brothers huh?
They will be responsible for getting fishing shut down statewide...
PDXanglr is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #32
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Troutdale
Posts: 2,061
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckty1 View Post
Oh, it went out to ALL guides.

The OSMB is very good, Cyndi in particular. They keep track of guides better then any state I have seen yet. Makes me feel a little bit better about the 2600 check I get to write.


That said I typical run single party trips. I still canceled all of my trips after the 17th I think. Before it was mandatory. It's not worth the risk, I'll figure the financial stuff out later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Just one more cast...
Salem IAFF Local 314, ret.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
RiverRogue is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #33
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Troutdale
Posts: 2,061
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckty1 View Post
Oh, it went out to ALL guides.

The OSMB is very good, Cyndi in particular. They keep track of guides better then any state I have seen yet. Makes me feel a little bit better about the 2600 check I get to write.


That said I typical run single party trips. I still canceled all of my trips after the 17th I think. Before it was mandatory. It's not worth the risk, I'll figure the financial stuff out later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well apparently you have access to my email!!?? Maybe you could kindly point to where it is for me? It may have been intentionally sent to all guides, but as I said, after checking ALL my email, I did NOT receive it. Furthermore, as I said, I receive the quarterly newsletters. But I did not receive this particular notice. Cyndi confirmed the correct address. In the future, I suggest not coming off so condescending.
__________________
Just one more cast...
Salem IAFF Local 314, ret.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
RiverRogue is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #34
fishrepellor
Chromer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 967
Default

Check the junk/spam folder??
I’ve had important emails get filtered out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRogue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckty1 View Post
Oh, it went out to ALL guides.

The OSMB is very good, Cyndi in particular. They keep track of guides better then any state I have seen yet. Makes me feel a little bit better about the 2600 check I get to write.


That said I typical run single party trips. I still canceled all of my trips after the 17th I think. Before it was mandatory. It's not worth the risk, I'll figure the financial stuff out later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well apparently you have access to my email!!?? Maybe you could kindly point to where it is for me? It may have been intentionally sent to all guides, but as I said, after checking ALL my email, I did NOT receive it. Furthermore, as I said, I receive the quarterly newsletters. But I did not receive this particular notice. Cyndi confirmed the correct address. In the future, I suggest not coming off so condescending.
fishrepellor is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #35
RiverRogue
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Troutdale
Posts: 2,061
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrepellor View Post
Check the junk/spam folder??
I’ve had important emails get filtered out
Yup, twice. That is why I commented that I checked ALL my email. Cyndi has since resent it too me and came through fine.

RR
__________________
Just one more cast...
Salem IAFF Local 314, ret.

OHA Life member
CCA Life member
RiverRogue is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #36
RWTIII
Tuna!
 
RWTIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rainier, OR
Posts: 1,446
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
That's why the title of my thread had the word "likely".

I cancelled trips two weeks ago because I didn't think travelling to the Portland area myself, and encouraging clients to travel from places like Seattle, Tri Cities, Boise, and Yreka was wise given the circumstances and possible consequences.

I love to fish. I have the greatest gig in the world.

I get to be a part of someone's first fish, their biggest fish, and in some cases, even their last fish. I'm honored and grateful to be a part of every trip.

I can sit on the sidelines if it helps this whole mess.

Someday soon my boat will be on flat water as the sun starts to peek over the eastern horizon. A rod will bend, reel will sing, adrenaline will flow, fish will hit the deck, smiles, high fives, and even shouts of excitement will be shared.

At that point I won't lament the days I didn't get to fish, they will have been totally worth it.
Well said, worth repeating!!
__________________
I FISH THEREFORE I SUPPORT CCA
RWTIII is offline  
Old 04-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #37
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRogue View Post
Did you request this. I have received notices in the past, but did not receive anything from the OSMB regarding this.
It appears the local Guides did not read the memo from the Oregon Marine Board. Multnomah Channel is plugged with guides especially the Scappoose area today. It is my opinion they will get the whole river closed down because of their greed. Below is the last chapter of the letter that went out to guides, pretty clear the agency that issues the guides license said STAY HOME.

“Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of Stay Safe, Stay Home, please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.”



Cyndi Bolduc
deeplines is offline  
Old 04-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #38
Big Game Fishing
 
Big Game Fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
It appears the local Guides did not read the memo from the Oregon Marine Board. Multnomah Channel is plugged with guides especially the Scappoose area today. It is my opinion they will get the whole river closed down because of their greed. Below is the last chapter of the letter that went out to guides, pretty clear the agency that issues the guides license said STAY HOME.

“Given this review, we believe that it would be difficult for most if not all guide or charter operations to operate with the public aboard under this executive order. Just as we do not distribute legal advice, we caution you against making legal decisions for or giving legal advice to your clients. During this time of Stay Safe, Stay Home, please be prudent and cautious. Keep yourself and your clients safe.”



Cyndi Bolduc
Deeplines, I wouldn't classify it as greed, guys are trying to survive. Unfortunately, instant gratification is gonna likely make the hurt of this last longer.

I figure June may already be lost. If cases spike bad this could eat into ocean and B10 fisheries. Not good.
Big Game Fishing is offline  
Old 04-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #39
Rank Amateur
King Salmon
 
Rank Amateur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vernonia Or.
Posts: 15,740
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

The department put this out today, they are looking!
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/202...ril/040320.asp
__________________
"Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are made for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass without consideration."- Izaak Walton

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline  
Old 04-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #40
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rank Amateur View Post
The department put this out today, they are looking!
https://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/202...ril/040320.asp
Here is a letter from ODFW we already saw a letter from the Oregon Marine Board they both say the same thing, stay home if you can’t do social distancing. This letter from ODFW is a shot across the bow, I’m afraid people just don’t get it. We’ll stay home when they close it.
deeplines is offline  
Old 04-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #41
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
Deeplines, I wouldn't classify it as greed, guys are trying to survive. Unfortunately, instant gratification is gonna likely make the hurt of this last longer.

I figure June may already be lost. If cases spike bad this could eat into ocean and B10 fisheries. Not good.

I would agree if the food on your table was brought to you by your guide business. I see one full time fireman that can probably leave it on the trailer and be fine.
deeplines is offline  
Old 04-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #42
db25181
Coho
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 51
Default

I saw a guide with four people last week at Coon island. They were all about the same age and were being tended to like a guide trip
db25181 is offline  
Old 04-03-2020, 09:18 PM   #43
Big Game Fishing
 
Big Game Fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
I would agree if the food on your table was brought to you by your guide business. I see one full time fireman that can probably leave it on the trailer and be fine.
I know some guys that are in pretty tough places right now.

My cash flow situation isn't great, but I have the title to my boat and my house. I am working 2-3 side gigs to keep some cash coming in. It isn't fun working for a lot less than you know your worth, but sitting around waiting for somebody else to make things better isn't my style either.

Anyone fishing right now, especially guides, is taking a huge risk in my opinion. With the social distancing orders and emails from OSMB, if something bad happens on the boat the owner/operator could possibly be found negligent for being out there at all under current circumstances.

Read the fine print of your policies.
Big Game Fishing is offline  
Old 04-03-2020, 09:28 PM   #44
redneckty1
Ifish Nate
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Woodland WA
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Game Fishing View Post
Deeplines, I wouldn't classify it as greed, guys are trying to survive. Unfortunately, instant gratification is gonna likely make the hurt of this last longer.

I figure June may already be lost. If cases spike bad this could eat into ocean and B10 fisheries. Not good.

I fear you may be right.

If this lasts till B10 there is going to be an awful lot of aluminum for sale.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redneckty1 is offline  
Old 04-04-2020, 06:43 AM   #45
Flatfish
King Salmon
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mulletville
Posts: 13,178
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

If the govt says it's unsafe for customers (Plural) to sit in a guide boat, then there's no reason to be out there.

Not money.

Not-I gotta feed my family.

This is bigger than one person/business.

On top of all that, if a guide who refuses to follow simple instruction out of selfishness or greed gets it shut down........it's a small community. Said person will be less than popular if one of the few remaining hobbies gets closed off because of the greed of a few short sighted individuals.

Imagine the reaction from the fishing public.... if a it gets closed down because of a few guides who didn't think basic human safety rules didn't apply to them.

I have friends who guide. They are sitting at home right now. Because they have respect for the safety of their clients.... Their families..... And everyone else that they may come into contact with.
__________________
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline  
Old 04-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #46
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate
 
Reel fortunate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Silverton Hills
Posts: 2,345
Default

A Willful act is a bad word......
__________________
Randy,
23x84 HT, Raider Coastal "REEL 1"
Reel fortunate is offline  
Old 04-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #47
NEUTRON
Sturgeon
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oregon City, Or, Usa
Posts: 3,823
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
I would agree if the food on your table was brought to you by your guide business. I see one full time fireman that can probably leave it on the trailer and be fine.



Gee - would that be? So much concern for everyone's safety - WHY are YOU out there?
__________________
Buckeye Troll club, #1 poison nut hater. Cry Feeesh Member 91.
NEUTRON is offline  
Old 04-04-2020, 09:15 AM   #48
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEUTRON View Post
Gee - would that be? So much concern for everyone's safety - WHY are YOU out there?
Let’s see, first I live here and I do not want this virus to infiltrate my community. I live 5 minutes from my boat, I fish by myself, I’m old, I’m a little cranky seeing people coming from who knows where. I saw a boat yesterday that comes down every year from the Seattle area, really. Or who knows where these passengers on these guide boats may come from, I just don’t get it, STAY HOME

I was in Hammond a few weeks ago and I see a sign in a guys front yard that says GO HOME, and he is right, I should not have been there.
deeplines is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 AM   #49
Soulakala
King Salmon
 
Soulakala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Northwest
Posts: 6,880
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Well the hate war may have started as claims are flying that Washington vehicles at Costco and Walmart in Warrenton are getting their tires slashed. Some FB posts are suggesting people come armed with BB guns and pellet guns for tire slashers. This makes no sense at all, as most Washington folks are coming from Pacific County across the river and they have zero virus results from all their testing. I also saw locally someone is placing business cards on out of state vehicles. I looked at one of these and it reads Please go home and stay home.
__________________
Free speech may not be pleasing at times but its our right and I thank those in the military that defend our right to free speech!
Soulakala is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #50
pearl
King Salmon
 
pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fishin The Rip
Posts: 6,720
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Received from ODFW last night but looks like it was released a couple days ago.

Continued fishing and hunting depends on social distancing: ODFW staff monitoring fishing locations

April 3, 2020

SALEM, Ore.— Most fishing and hunting seasons remain open in Oregon, but participants should continue to comply with social distancing and other guidelines set forth in the Governor’s Stay Home, Save Lives order.

While ODFW does not enforce regulations such as the Governor’s Order, a significant number of ODFW staff who work in the field are also monitoring recreational use at many fishing, hunting and wildlife viewing locations in the course of their regular duties. US Coast Guard, Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Oregon State Police, Oregon State Sherriffs’ Association and other entities are also observing the actions by Oregonians and potentially visitors to Oregon. Adherence to the order while recreating can help prevent more closures.

With good weather and low tides coming up later in spring/summer, ODFW is also stepping up monitoring of clamming on the coast. Staff will be out this weekend to monitor recreational and commercial harvest of razor clams along beaches in Clatsop County to determine the level of harvest and behavior of clammers (e.g. social distancing). Information gathered from this weekend’s surveys will help inform decisions about future actions regarding harvest seasons during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We’ll continue to monitor fisheries and do everything in our power to be sure it isn’t contributing to the transmission of the virus,” said Director Curt Melcher. “If we do see anglers, clammers or others are not following the guidelines and endangering themselves and others, then we may need to modify fishing seasons.”

ODFW has been working with the Governor’s office and other state agencies to address crowding and health concerns related to COVID-19, and encouraging adherence to the Stay Home, Save Lives order. The order does allow for outdoor recreation as long as the guidelines for social distancing are followed.

Just as hiking and biking are allowed, getting outdoors and fishing is a healthy way to get fresh air and exercise during this difficult time provided the guidelines are followed. Governor Brown’s Stay Home, Save Lives Executive Order requires that everyone:

Practice social distancing and stay six feet away from anyone who doesn’t live in your immediate household, including when outdoors.
Stay close to home rather than travelling far. The Governor’s Executive Order says hiking and outdoor activities are OK, but to limit travel.
Stay home if you are sick.
Wash hands frequently.
Carry needed supplies with you to minimize non-essential stops—including buying your license online instead of making a trip to a license sale agent.
While seasons are open, access to many areas are closed. State Parks are closed, national forests have closed established recreation areas and some counties and cities have closed access to boat ramps or other locations. Please check the access restrictions where you are headed before going.

Salmon and steelhead fishing in the Columbia River is also closed, as this fishery is managed concurrently with the state of Washington where all hunting and fishing is closed. Walleye and other fisheries remain open on the Columbia River.

“We thank anglers, hunters, clammers and all people recreating outdoors for following the guidelines,” said Melcher. “The outdoors provides an important outlet during this difficult time. We want to keep these seasons open provided they don’t contribute to the spread of COVID-19.”
###

Contact:
Michelle Dennehy, (503) 947-6022, [email protected]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
I know of nobody who has ever lost a small fish
pearl is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:06 AM   #51
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Click image for larger version

Name:	21F08267-6E61-4CC1-83CB-2094D5FE9473.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	743039

One of many on the Willamette Slough. Sorry it’s to grainy to see the name on the side
deeplines is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #52
Big Game Fishing
 
Big Game Fishing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Astoria, Oregon
Posts: 5,125
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Well the hate war may have started as claims are flying that Washington vehicles at Costco and Walmart in Warrenton are getting their tires slashed. Some FB posts are suggesting people come armed with BB guns and pellet guns for tire slashers. This makes no sense at all, as most Washington folks are coming from Pacific County across the river and they have zero virus results from all their testing. I also saw locally someone is placing business cards on out of state vehicles. I looked at one of these and it reads Please go home and stay home.
Unfortunately, I don't think it's just folks from Pacific county, we had a serious uptick in visitors around here this weekend. There was reports of heavier inbound traffic on both 30 and 26, and the two times I went into town things were obviously busier.

I heard more outsiders were trying to get on beaches, so the sherrif is closing all accesses and citing people now.

Total shutdown is coming. Seems crazy I can't take my son to the local lake to catch trout from the bank, but 5 guys can sit in a 24 foot sled together...
Big Game Fishing is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #53
Beefcake
Sturgeon
 
Beefcake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Clackamas, OR
Posts: 4,938
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
Attachment 743039

One of many on the Willamette Slough. Sorry it’s to grainy to see the name on the side

I’m having trouble blowing it up enough on my phone to see much, but I don’t see a name or a guide sticker. Lots of guys have big sleds that aren’t guides; maybe they’re a family?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
F/V Super Cub
F/V JokerCraft
Beefcake is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #54
slinger
Chromer
 
slinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 541
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
Attachment 743039

One of many on the Willamette Slough. Sorry it’s to grainy to see the name on the side
Awesome...

If fishing gets closed in this state it will be because of people like this.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
__________________
"...can you imagine there's any connection there?" -SSP
slinger is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 08:03 AM   #55
bllelk
Tuna!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: In a tent down by the river in Elkton, most of the time
Posts: 1,904
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

I've seen three boats in the last two days come by me on the Umpqua. No social distancing, not guides. Two jets with people under the cockpit covers, one drift boat.
I wonder if the jet boat jockeys wiped off the handle of the gas pump or washed their hands?
I'd hate to see fishing completely shut down by these kind of yahoo's.

__________________
The older I get, the better I was.
BIll D.
bllelk is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 08:15 AM   #56
Clackriverrat
Chromer
 
Clackriverrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 569
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bllelk View Post
I've seen three boats in the last two days come by me on the Umpqua. No social distancing, not guides. Two jets with people under the cockpit covers, one drift boat.
I wonder if the jet boat jockeys wiped off the handle of the gas pump or washed their hands?
I'd hate to see fishing completely shut down by these kind of yahoo's.

The same could be said for Moron Bank Fisherman Fueling their cars to get to the river And how do you know the people in those boats don't live in the same house?
Clackriverrat is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #57
[email protected]
Ifish Nate
 
derrick454@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Battle Ground/Ocean Park
Posts: 2,108
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Well the hate war may have started as claims are flying that Washington vehicles at Costco and Walmart in Warrenton are getting their tires slashed. Some FB posts are suggesting people come armed with BB guns and pellet guns for tire slashers. This makes no sense at all, as most Washington folks are coming from Pacific County across the river and they have zero virus results from all their testing. I also saw locally someone is placing business cards on out of state vehicles. I looked at one of these and it reads Please go home and stay home.

Can’t blame the gill netters on this one.....I’m a part time Pacific county resident and worried i wouldn’t even be able to come down once home.....I guess property owners are OK to enter premises . Just no rift raft camping in the front yard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derrick454@ is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #58
Proteus503
Chromer
 
Proteus503's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon City
Posts: 675
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeplines View Post
Attachment 743039

One of many on the Willamette Slough. Sorry it’s to grainy to see the name on the side
So, we're spying / reporting on our fellow citizens / neighbors now? This is how liberty dies.

Protect and worry about yourself and your own family. Beyond that, mind your own business.
Proteus503 is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #59
bait boy
Ifish Nate
 
bait boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Vancouver, wa, usa
Posts: 3,389
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can’t blame the gill netters on this one.....I’m a part time Pacific county resident and worried i wouldn’t even be able to come down once home.....I guess property owners are OK to enter premises . Just no rift raft camping in the front yard.
I purposefully did not bring the 5th wheel down for its 6 month stay on our property in ocean park. Yes the property is mine but the people I touch on my way and while I'm there if I need to go to the store of get fuel adds up.

I guess you're fine unless you go to Costco or any other local business in Warrenton.. Some folks don't want us there at any time and this just gives some folks an excuse to be let their inner child out..
__________________
Rick, Member # 25
Dont forget your Baitboy
Team Trefin / Opportunaty
Team Time out
Team Sea Ya
Resident Tuna guy
bait boy is offline  
Old 04-05-2020, 09:01 AM   #60
deeplines
Steelhead
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 147
Default Re: OSMB says guided trips likely not legal right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus503 View Post
So, we're spying / reporting on our fellow citizens / neighbors now? This is how liberty dies.

Protect and worry about yourself and your own family. Beyond that, mind your own business.
Come on, were in the middle of a world wide Pandemic with no known cure that is killng people. Social distancing is our only defense. If you want to break the rules on this one I will call you out. STAY HOME.
deeplines is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Cast to



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Terms of Service
 
Page generated in 0.71154 seconds with 76 queries