Warmwater action - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 03-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
puckfisher
Tuna!

Default Warmwater action

Lake Shasta has 52-56 degree water. Air temps were 82 last Wed. And Thurs. spotted bass are everywhere and average 1-2 pounds with an occasional smallie or largemouth in mix. I was crappie hunting. Very tough until I found them. On ONE tree. We got 18 Wed. Pm. Smallest was 12, biggest was 16. Two slab gills. I fished ever kind of structure I could find. Why this tree? No idea but I know where it is(submerged). I am going back but knowing crappies, they’ll be gone. All spring spawning bushes are still out of water. Only kept three. Stuffed with eggs. Fat pigs, eating well. Everybody is a bass fisherman there. That’s ok by me. I want to target the big gills now. I have few tiny tungsten jigs that might turn them on.

puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #2
puckfisher
Tuna!

Default Re: Warmwater action

[QUOTE=puckfisher;16276941]Lake Shasta has 52-56 degree water. Air temps were 82 last Wed. And Thurs. spotted bass are everywhere and average 1-2 pounds with an occasional smallie or largemouth in mix. I was crappie hunting. Very tough until I found them. On ONE tree. We got 18 Wed. Pm. Smallest was 12, biggest was 16. Two slab gills. I fished ever kind of structure I could find. Why this tree? No idea but I know where it is(submerged). I am going back but knowing crappies, they’ll be gone. All spring spawning bushes are still out of water. Only kept three. Stuffed with eggs. Fat pigs, eating well. Everybody is a bass fisherman there. That’s ok by me. I want to target the big gills now. I have few tiny tungsten jigs that might turn them on.[/Q
Bass are still biting but weather has been poor. Despite some rain, water level remain low and favorite brush piles where crappie migrate and hangout in spring are still dry. If crappies spawn then water levels come up later, the hatch will be poor. The eggs “drown” I am told. Actually I think water temps are unfavorable. Brownlee has had several poor years of crappie fishing. I think one could trace back to the years of unstable water levels to explain the current situation. Spotted bass in Shasta have taken over lake. I was told they spawn in deeper water and that is reason. No one is complaining with decent size and good eating fish available all year long. I will again be hunting crappies and big gills. I have a couple new tricks.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Good luck !! I wish it wasn't as far as it is
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
puckfisher
Tuna!

It is about 5 and 1/2 hours easy drive due south of Bend. I just hope I don’t get pulled over by CHIPS and sent back to Oregon for violating isolation orders. It will be pretty easy to spot a rig towing a boat with Oregon plates going the wrong direction. I need to think of a good excuse now.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Fishsizzle
Chromer

I could not believe the size of Gills/Red ear in Lake Havasu when I was down there. I wasn’t there enough to figure them out and spent too much time chasing stripers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC9397C8-634B-4DB5-AC33-C5D05B3A3B70_1585697150354.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	742751   Click image for larger version

Name:	FF4046BB-A376-4F58-9CD1-0074E86D3BA4_1585697183125.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	742753  
Fishsizzle is online now   Reply With Quote